• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Papers, Please |OT| Glory to Arstotzka!

On day 19:

No.... Jiorgi... why.... why did you have to smuggle drugs. I can't let you in. But why did I detain your kind soul. :(

I had to reset the day even though I was doing so well because I was overcame with guilt and let an Imporian pass.

Also a tip: You dont have to wait for the stamps to lift. They stamp instantly. This can save precious seconds.

Jasconius

Finally got an OK ending~
papersplease16.png

Escaped to Obristan with my wife, son, and niece. Hopefully my uncle and mother-in-law will be safe enough with whatever happened afterward, but I just didn't have enough money for everyone...

On day 21 or maybe 20.

How do I poison the assassin? Also FUCK my supervisor for telling me to take my son's picture off the wall. Dock my pay huh?

duckroll

On day 21 or maybe 20.

How do I poison the assassin? Also FUCK my supervisor for telling me to take my son's picture off the wall. Dock my pay huh?

Pro-tip: If you ever see the fucker coming out of his car and walking towards your booth in the morning, take down all unauthorized shit from the wall. It's like clearing your desk if you see your boss coming from a distance. Lol.

Pro-tip: If you ever see the fucker coming out of his car and walking towards your booth in the morning, take down all unauthorized shit from the wall. It's like clearing your desk if you see your boss coming from a distance. Lol.

Yeah I figured that out. I reset instantly and did exactly that once it happened. It just threw me off.

Jasconius

OK, got ending 19, and it played happy music! Still not the ending required to unlock endless mode though.... ;p

Spoiler for ending 19 ->
It was the order ending, which was pretty cool. They seem to be OK guys, and they said they moved us to a safe place~

Spoiler for ending 14 ->
Haha I loaded and killed the guys trying to blow up the border wall and so both the order AND arstotzka hate me, and I get executed. Worst ending confirmed!

duckroll

Just got Ending 16.
It's pretty cool that the game deliberately shows the huge contrast in border control between what you yourself have been doing throughout the entire game, and how easy it is to get into another country. I wish could have brought my entire family though. I had the passports. I just lacked the funds. I was short of 55 credits, and I think at least 30 of those credits were due to racking up citations because I was stealing the passports. FML.

I wish the game would show us the different classes of housing. My family is warm, fed, and healthy. I have no incentive to really move to different housing.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
This game explains why the folks who work at airports stamping passports and whatnot are usually in such a bad mood all the time lol

This game explains why the folks who work at airports stamping passports and whatnot are usually in such a bad mood all the time lol

They have it fucking easy compared to the poor SOB in Papers, Please.

Also I found out that the day 19 thing where
Jiorgi attempts to smuggle in drugs has the same response whether you detain him or give him a red stamp. Took away from the initial impact and guilt when I detained him. I don't know what detaining does in the long run, but it can't be pleasant.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Communist state.

My pay is performance-based.

I have to pay for Rent, Heat, and Food.

@_@?

Gliffyr

found this, printed immediately jaja

[Image]
While I can't really argue about how people choose to play the game, I find that stuff like this is somewhat outside of the spirit of Papers, Please.

The game seems to glorify how inconvenient doing things is. When genuinely useful things come up like keybinds for noticing discrepancies or taking out your stamps, it feels likea weight is lifted off my shoulders. Not to mention that there's some micromanagement to be had with the desk area in the game itself - once the rulebook has around two full pages, it becomes clear how inadequate the amount of space given is. It becomes frustrating at times and it can get confusing like, say when trying to grab a certain *important* key when you need to.

It's not exactly fun to have a game make you remember stuff or spend seconds every time looking back and forth between stuff, but I dunno. To me, the game's not really about being fun so much as... being miserable? Every failed judgment feels awful in its own way, yet it's somehow addictive, as I'm sure most would agree.

There's always the possibility that I'm just masochistic though.

border

I don't really get the point of the cheat sheets. I usually just flip to the right page in the Rule Book while I'm reading the dialogue about a person's purpose of visit and duration of stay. So I don't really feel like it's wasted time, since I'd be sitting there reading dialogue anyway.

How much time does the cheat sheet really even save you anyway? Maybe a few seconds at best.

Forkball

I'm at the part where you have to confiscate Altan passports, but I have no idea how to get the reason stamp to pop up. I keep getting citations for not citing a reason, even during detainment.

ArjanN

While I can't really argue about how people choose to play the game, I find that stuff like this is somewhat outside of the spirit of Papers, Please.

The game seems to glorify how inconvenient doing things is. When genuinely useful things come up like keybinds for noticing discrepancies or taking out your stamps, it feels likea weight is lifted off my shoulders. Not to mention that there's some micromanagement to be had with the desk area in the game itself - once the rulebook has around two full pages, it becomes clear how inadequate the amount of space given is. It becomes frustrating at times and it can get confusing like, say when trying to grab a certain *important* key when you need to.

It's not exactly fun to have a game make you remember stuff or spend seconds every time looking back and forth between stuff, but I dunno. To me, the game's not really about being fun so much as... being miserable? Every failed judgment feels awful in its own way, yet it's somehow addictive, as I'm sure most would agree.

There's always the possibility that I'm just masochistic though.

No, you're right, you're clearly meant to make mistakes and be short on money most of the time.

dramatis

I'm at the part where you have to confiscate Altan passports, but I have no idea how to get the reason stamp to pop up. I keep getting citations for not citing a reason, even during detainment.
Check discrepancies before confiscating. If you have unresolved discrepancy, confiscate the passport then stamp DENIED and reason on paper visa.

You're doing those guys a favor, considering the state of Arstotzka.

No, you're right, you're clearly meant to make mistakes and be short on money most of the time.

Even without a cheat sheet I was making few mistakes and had like 50 dollars in savings. I may have been selected for the job via lottery, but damn am I good at it.

i read the names were entered by users, someone must have entered this name.

the jobs and faces are also randomized apparently. every now and again a woman will give you a card to a strip club and tell you to come to her. just because some people saw her randomly generated like that, he is gonna remove the name from the game!

pfft

SJRB

Gold Member
Did my part and bought it off of Steam just now. Played up until day 5 or 6, game is fun and challenging. I am afraid that it will wear out quite quickly though, but we'll see.

Remarkable game for sure, the concept is very clever.

fleck0

i read the names were entered by users, someone must have entered this name.

the jobs and faces are also randomized apparently. every now and again a woman will give you a card to a strip club and tell you to come to her. just because some people saw her randomly generated like that, he is gonna remove the name from the game!

pfft

Best name I've run into is Jebediah Kerman.

McDougles

Did my part and bought it off of Steam just now. Played up until day 5 or 6, game is fun and challenging. I am afraid that it will wear out quite quickly though, but we'll see.

Remarkable game for sure, the concept is very clever.

If you think that Day 5/6 is challenging and are fearing that it will wear out quickly, wait until you've got
vaccination, entry permits, supplementary ID, work permits, passports and a Wanted Criminals list
papers all at the same time! (six separate items)

Fuck. I am in a position where I can save myself and my entire family, but I have to do it without taking any penalties. This wouldn't be a problem, but getting the things necessary to save everyone also requires me taking two citations. So I basically can't make any mistakes during this final day. Stressful. Incredibly stressful.

duckroll

Finally got a good enough ending to have credits! Lol! Yesss! The events on Day 31 really helped give me the extra cash boost I needed. Felt great to successfully get a good outcome at last!

DNe0q1E.jpg

any significant improvement from the beta?

Yes. Absolutely. Several storylines, new documents to worry about, 30 or so endings.

Unrelated: But is there any actual point of buying the booth upgrade? It is absolutely useless but maybe it unlocks better stuff in the future?

Smidget

Hmmm what do I do?

Day 11/12-14(?) spoilers:
I used the money from the crazy guy who kept trying to get in over and over and I finally let him in and gave me the coin. I used it to get an upgraded apartment then I got ratted out. How far back do I have to go to redo that? Is it possible to get rid of the money before I get caught and I get an ending? :/

No joke, just had a dream where someone had written an article about Papers, Please. I think it was by Leigh Alexander, but not on Gamasutra because there were pretty pictures on either side. She talked about how it was the best phone game ever (that would be kind of awesome). How it was the most fun "art" game. How the depth came from not how many mechanics there were, but just in the core gameplay loop.

I only got to read a few paragraphs before I became lucid about it and woke myself up from the sheer excitement!

Hope the game makes for actual articles :p

Top Bottom