• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Papers, Please |OT| Glory to Arstotzka!

New website!

http://papersplea.se/

It has the coolest way of finding out how much the game will cost. I won't spoil it! XD

imzdvyPXOzk6o.jpg

Mikeside

Pre-ordered!
I had no idea this was your thread, messof or I'd have talked to you about this at the London meetup!!

Bought. Weird timing because I was just checking around for an updated release date this lunch time and didn't see that it had been added to the Steam database.

Mikeside

I had no idea you were interested in this game! :p

Well I played the demo and that was obviously really interesting & lots of fun. I'm hoping the game can keep me interested for the duration (so many games fail at this for me - probably mostly because I'm like a magpie and get distracted by all the shiny new releases)

Afro

Had to choose between this, Spelunky, and Guacamelee.

No regrets.

I'm assuming this is the |OT|, correct?

dream

Huh. Some lady just handed me her ID, but no passport. What do I have to click on to highlight the discreptency so I can deny her access to glorious Arstokzka?

Jasconius

Just wanted to post and say that the game is still awesome so far~

I can't believe how many citations I get still, though... I swear, everything looked right! Oh well, no food tonight...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just wanted to post and say that the game is still awesome so far~

I can't believe how many citations I get still, though... I swear, everything looked right! Oh well, no food tonight...

Pay more attention slacker, or it's the gulag for you!

I really enjoyed the beta, so I'll have to DL it when I can. Loved the Giant Bomb QL for it and saw some neat interface improvements.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'd love to play this game in a non-timed fashion. I watched the Giantbomb quicklook and the sense of rushing and urgency really didn't click with me.

Is there a "casual" mode or something?

I don't buy indie games at launch but I'll make an exception for Papers, Please. Played the first hour and happy to be declining entry to glorious Arstotzka.

I'd love to play this game in a non-timed fashion. I watched the Giantbomb quicklook and the sense of rushing and urgency really didn't click with me.

I wouldn't be opposed to such a mode being in the game but not having a sense of urgency feels like it would kind of defeat the purpose of the game.

duckroll

So I guess this is the OT unless someone wants to make a better one?

The full game is pretty cool. The interface feels more polished, it's clear that there's more event scripting, the mood is great.

Haunted

Great new website, great game, pre-ordered via Humble Store and activated it immediately. I like that final layer of polish you can now see in the intro and the user interface. Good shit.

Love your brand of politically charged (maybe "conscious" is a better term?) games like 6 Degrees and Republia Times - really hope this does well for you, Dukope!

Bedlam

Just bought it on GOG after watching the GB quicklook. Really fun but also kinda overwhelming after a few days... which is probably the point of the game. %)

Afro

I can already tell I'm gonna' be horrible at this game. Back in High School I was always the last person to finish the test since I'm so OCD about checking and double-checking information.

It also seems in order to make as much money as possible in a work day to pay for living expenses, you need to be a complete dick to people. Example:

An old guy forgot to give me his entry ticket that he had on him. I could have immediately rejected his passport to move things along, but I decided to be a nice guy and remind him. He then thankfully handed it over without hesitation. I had to sacrifice putting food on the table that night in order to help him out with his little situation.

Not sure if there's a downside to flat out rejecting people the second they forget to include a document even if they have it on their person.

Love the game, love the humor, but my mind can't work this fast!

Haunted

I can already tell I'm gonna' be horrible at this game. Back in High School I was always the last person to finish the test since I'm so OCD about checking and double-checking information.

It also seems in order to make as much money as possible in a work day to pay for living expenses, you need to be a complete dick to people. Example:

An old guy forgot to give me his entry ticket that he had on him. I could have immediately rejected his passport to move things along, but I decided to be a nice guy and remind him. He then thankfully handed it over without hesitation. I had to sacrifice putting food on the table that night in order to help him out with his little situation.

Not sure if there's a downside to flat out rejecting people the second they forget to include a document even if they have it on their person.

Love the game, love the humor, but my mind can't work this fast!
The downside is that you'll feel bad about being a terrible human being.

Or are you actually all that bad when you're prioritising the well-being of your family over that of total strangers? You can of course play as a good Arstotzkan watchdog, following the ministry's rules and disregard common human decency. I don't think the game really needs to reward/punish one or the other for these decisions to have an effect (if you let it, of course), though it looks like making different decisions does have an impact on the kind of ending you'll get.

Curious how these are handled and how the endings differ.

Republia Times had a fairly smart and poignant ending, I'm hoping for similar quality here.

Gliffyr

This fits the definition of "weirdass game" if I've ever seen one. It's impressive how it makes such an odd premise addictive - definitely do not regret not waiting for a sale, especially when projects like these are mostly the result of an individual's efforts.

The instant feedback on failure is kind of odd given that it makes it seem more gamey than it already is but it never ceases to make me feel bad. The process of slowly building up my skill and efficiency and slowly unlocking the keybinds is satisfying as well.

The way sickness works is a little weird though. Wanting to save some cash by not buying food or heating for a day early on got my son sick and even though I paid for food, heating and medicine thereafter he never got better. My own fault, yeah, but couldn't he last a day without food and heating without developing a chronic illness? Wrrrrrrrry!!

daydream

Banned
So, when the day's about to end (~1 hour left) and you haven't made any mistakes up to that point, I think it makes a lot of sense to just start accepting/rejecting people without actually taking a proper look at their papers.

It's a 50:50 chance and if you're lucky, you can squeeze in (or out) 3-5 people for that extra money.

What the heck do you do with the Corman Drex guy? I gave him the weird card I had and he just says "read carefully" and won't leave the booth.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So, when the day's about to end (~1 hour left) and you haven't made any mistakes up to that point, I think it makes a lot of sense to just start accepting/rejecting people without actually taking a proper look at their papers.

It's a 50:50 chance and if you're lucky, you can squeeze in (or out) 3-5 people for that extra money.

I'd suspect this sort of approach may potentially affect the ending you end up getting.

I passed on the beta at the time originally since I knew a full version would come out eventually. So picking it up today was my first time trying out the game.

Playing as an immigrant inspector doesn't sound like fun in theory, but its execution is far better than I could have anticipated. It's like playing a detective in a third world country with tense atmosphere and high personal stakes. Also, it's a very mechanically driven game as well with plenty of rules and little additions based on special events that snowball with each passing day. In the beginning, I was struggling with figuring out everything that I needed to check between passports, entry permits, citizen IDs, etc. But even though I got more efficient as I got further into my first playthrough with fewer daily citations, the gradually progressing difficulty caught me off guard near the end. I had a moment where I thought to myself, "Holy shit, this is a lot that I have to keep track of!" It was surprising shock but also a satisfying one as I realized how far I had gone.

Papers, Please has a very unique kind of slow building tension and atmosphere that always committed to its setting and kept me engaged throughout my 2 hour session. There's definitely nothing else quite like it, and I can't wait to play more.

My son died. Oh well.

I let Anita Sarkeesian into the country, although I missed that her passport apparently said she was a male.

I still cant believe one of my friends Russian-style names has been immortalized into a game. This is just so unreal!

I bought it as soon as I got my paycheck. I won't get to play until a week from now due to work but I'm excited to see the name show up!

Top Bottom