• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount to remake Dune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
JayDubya said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

No. So very much no.

I hate films that are visual companions to novels; if you're going to tell a story, tell the story. The theatrical cut was a butchered, rushed, incomrehensible mess. And sonic guns? Come on.

I disagree, but I had no bias having never read the book. The "sonic guns" were awesome.

JayDubya said:
:/ That is downright idiotic, and would ruin the movie. Paul is Osama? Really? Really?

Freedom fighters in the desert battling an evil empire who is there to take the natural resource that their empire depends on... :p

Grow a brain Moran.

womp

Besides the already obvious awesomeness of Sting the new film will also need...

Virginia Madsen

capt.fwd11020070319_virginia_madsen.jpg

And Alicia Wiit (Paul's little sister)

3328.jpg

For total win.

Rezbit

Some good actors I would like to see in it...

Hugo Weaving as Duke Leto,

Brendan Gleeson as Baron Harkonnen,

Shia LaBeouf as Paul
LOL

Zabojnik

Get Ridley Scott on board for this. I've been watching Blade Runner's final cut on blu-ray and I found out that it was basically decided that he'd be the one to direct Dune, but then went on to do Blade Runner.

Or, even better, get him to direct Neuromancer. That's about as close as you can get to a Blade Runner sequel, without doing a Blade Runner sequel.

stephendedalus said:
v2xr8x.jpg

Giger and Moebius doing art direction!
Man, that is all I could wish for! That and everyone giving props to Lynch for doing what he did with his adaptation. I'm sure he no longer cares though, but screw you guys otherwise, except Stinkles and like 3 others. Shai Hulud, brothers... Shai Hulud.

Awesome news.

Lynch's Dune was a mess, but a wonderful, amazing mess. It also had some incredible art direction and awesome casting (apart from Paul himself).

The sci-fi mini-- meh. It wasn't bad, but it clumsily borrowed from Lynch's Dune and was rather bland.

I love William Hurt but he's just not the Duke at all.

JayDubya

Banned
Templar Wizard said:
Freedom fighters in the desert battling an evil empire who is there to take the natural resource that their empire depends on... :p

Grow a brain Moran.

Oh, okay, so OBL is a heroic freedom fighter, and I'm the moran. Right.
looloo.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
JayDubya said:
Oh, okay, so OBL is a heroic freedom fighter, and I'm the moran. Right.

No, he's an egotistical hypocritical evil fucking scum and I hope he burns in hell for a trillion years, but I see the analogy anyway. Last time I read the book, the themes about Jihad spiraling out of control, the terrorism becoming the cause itself, the oil metaphor, they were all screamingly obvious.

Manics

Banned
womp said:
Besides the already obvious awesomeness of Sting the new film will also need...

Virginia Madsen

capt.fwd11020070319_virginia_madsen.jpg

And Alicia Wiit (Paul's little sister)

3328.jpg

For total win.

Way too old for Paul's sister.

Manics

Banned
Stinkles said:
Hopefully this does well. The public deserves to see THE BASHAR MILES FUCKING TEG kill everyone on board a giant starship with his bare hands in four seconds and then escape so he can enjoy a snack.

They'd have to go on to make 5 movies to get to Teg. But yeah, I loved that character. :D

tak

Wait, what? People don't like the David Lynch version? I liked it. However, the set designs were the main element I liked.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
mosaic said:
What I'd like to know is... Herbert wrote multiple Dune books... why do they keep focusing on just the one? Move ahead in the story!

Second book was pretty good, and I tried reading the third - and it was just getting to fucking weird. I think the reason they don't go beyond the first book is that the story gets totally fucking crazy past the second book.

Orodreth

SteveMeister said:
No, the costumes in Lynch's Dune were really good. Particularly the stillsuits. Sets were pretty good, too, as were the worms. Visually, the movie was a lot like I had imagined it when reading the book.

But yes, the acting, dialog, music, and pretty much everything else about the movie were pretty bad. I was SO disappointed that the ornithopters didn't have flapping wings.

The shields FX were amazing, the music fantastic too and i loved the introduction by Irulan.

Acting is horrible except maybe for Reverend Mother and the campy Baron.

Btw, i read the prequels done by his son (house trilogy) and there werent very good but heard they have also published a Butlerian Jihad trilogy. Is it worth it?

Dr_Cogent said:
Second book was pretty good, and I tried reading the third - and it was just getting to fucking weird. I think the reason they don't go beyond the first book is that the story gets totally fucking crazy past the second book.

IV and specially V and VI get weird beyond imagination from what i recall when i read them years ago.

Manics

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:

There are lots of crazy stories out there but none as grand or epic as the entire Dune series. I don't know why people rip the latter books, I think they're all fantastic and I wish he didn't die when he did because I wanted him to finish what he started in Chapterhouse.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Manics said:
There are lots of crazy stories out there but none as grand or epic as the entire Dune series. I don't know why people rip the latter books, I think they're all fantastic and I wish he didn't die when he did because I wanted him to finish what he started in Chapterhouse.

My father is the type that once he starts something he has to finish it, so he was wondering when Frank Herbert was going to die so he could stop reading the books. :lol

Duke Togo

Zabojnik said:
Get Ridley Scott on board for this. I've been watching Blade Runner's final cut on blu-ray and I found out that it was basically decided that he'd be the one to direct Dune, but then went on to do Blade Runner.

Or, even better, get him to direct Neuromancer. That's about as close as you can get to a Blade Runner sequel, without doing a Blade Runner sequel.
Yes.

Stinkles said:
No, he's an egotistical hypocritical evil fucking scum and I hope he burns in hell for a trillion years, but I see the analogy anyway. Last time I read the book, the themes about Jihad spiraling out of control, the terrorism becoming the cause itself, the oil metaphor, they were all screamingly obvious.

Stinkles... i think.. i think i love you.

I mean the guy changes a Constitutional Monarchy with an economic reins-holder to a Religious Totalitarian Dictatorship with key Zealots fullfilling key roles in the governance of same...oh yeah, he also names himself after a mouse.

And hes not the bad guy????

annnnnnnnnnnyways, I have feeling that the current geopolitical status will surely be addressed, or perhaps the story tweaked slightly?
Perhaps Jihad and other words 'tastefully' removed from the script...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
You guys need to look at the David Lynch version with the glass half full. If he never did it, he never would have gotten the chance to do Blue Velvet. :D

scarybore

Dr_Cogent said:

I have only read the original and Children of Dune, but from what I have read on Wikipedia, the later books go off on one hell of a tangent. I should really get round to reading the other books but Dune has always been about Paul Atreides for me so I don't think I would ever be able to enjoy them to the same extent as I did the original.

As for the new film, my opinion mirrors Stinkles but I'm still pretty excited. Dune is a fantastic universe and I will take what I can get. A new Dune game to coincide with the film would be awesome, though knowing how bad film to game adaptations can be I would probably be disappointed in the end. How much pull do you have at Bungie Stinkles? :p

Kola

Ventrue said:
I liked Dune, but I stopped reading the series when it changed to be about a giant man-worm who had ruled the galaxy for thousands of years. Utter crap.

Argh, you guys on the board here are starting to make me mad. Especially part 4 (God Emperor of Dune) ist one of the best books in the whole series. Perhaps the best. The conversations between Malki and Leto II. are awesome. Just because there's no action and laserfighting it doesn't make the book bad. On the contrary: Part 4 turns more to a philosophical outline, with lots of interesting cross-talks between the main protagonists. Man...they started talking about why Bach is superior to Beethoven or why Hitler was just a pathetic loser because "I, Leto II., killed billions, so who's the worst dictator in the fuckin' galaxy!?".

Herbert started to write more in the East European/Russian Sci-Fi tradition in part 4 (philosophical, self-reflecting) and he made a leap over 3000-4000 years to the future, which didn't appeal to lots of readers who liked the characters of the first trilogy best. But it's really worth forgetting about them for now.

The whole conversation about the Golden Path for example really makes your mind spin; after reading this part you have to put the book aside and start some thinking of your own. Granted, that book is no Nietzsche, Kant or Schopenhauer, but it's quite remarkable for a Sci-Fi book. This is the stuff - together with the fantastic story of part 1 - which you remember at the end of the day.

And the last trilogy (ok, now there are 4 books, 2 of his son's doing) is also great.

Man, I hate you guys, seriously. :(

mosaic said:
What I'd like to know is... Herbert wrote multiple Dune books... why do they keep focusing on just the one? Move ahead in the story!
It's kinda like how for movie purposes very rarely is a shit given about the dozens of Oz books that aren't The Wizard of Oz.

Kola said:
Argh, you guys on the board here are starting to make me mad. Especially part 4 (God Emperor of Dune) ist one of the best books in the whole series. Perhaps the best. The conversations between Malki and Leto II. are awesome. Just because there's no action and laserfighting it doesn't make the book bad. On the contrary: Part 4 turns more to a philosophical outline, with lots of interesting cross-talks between the main protagonists. Man...they started talking about why Bach is superior to Beethoven or why Hitler was just a pathetic loser because "I, Leto II., killed billions, so who's the worst dictator in the fuckin' galaxy!?".

Herbert started to write more in the East European/Russian Sci-Fi tradition in part 4 (philosophical, self-reflecting) and he made a leap over 3000-4000 years to the future, which didn't appeal to lots of readers who liked the characters of the first trilogy best. But it's really worth forgetting about them for now.

The whole conversation about the Golden Path for example really makes your mind spin; after reading this part you have to put the book aside and start some thinking of your own. Granted, that book is no Nietzsche, Kant or Schopenhauer, but it's quite remarkable for a Sci-Fi book. This is the stuff - together with the fantastic story of part 1 - which you remember at the end of the day.

And the last trilogy (ok, now there are 4 books, 2 of his son's doing) is also great.

Man, I hate you guys, seriously. :(

For me, what made Dune interesting was the world. The harsh landscape and the adaptations it forces people to make, the culture and the technology, the tone of the political intrigue. Dune Messiah and Children of Dune have all this to a greater or lesser extent. Jumping thousands of years into the future with a green Arrakis and a whole new cultural and political tone was jarring and removed the aspects that I found most interesting. I enjoyed book 4, but if you had changed some names and finessed a few plot points a little bit I wouldn't have been able to recognize it as Dune. It was at that point that I lost interest in the series.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Templar Wizard said:
I mean the guy changes a Constitutional Monarchy with an economic reins-holder to a Religious Totalitarian Dictatorship with key Zealots fullfilling key roles in the governance of same...oh yeah, he also names himself after a mouse.
And hes not the bad guy????
You forgot to blame him for his son(or grandson, it's been awhile since I read it) naming himself god emperor and screw with the entire galaxy for a couple thousand years all in the name of saving humanity - and that on the good grace that people should believe in his supposed omniscence which only he can vouch for.

That said I do think that entire Dune mythology throws moral grounds out the door for everyone, as there's no single character I can remember that actually had any. The closest would maybe be Duncan's endless clones.

Kola said:
Argh, you guys on the board here are starting to make me mad. Especially part 4 (God Emperor of Dune) ist one of the best books in the whole series.
I actually agree there, it's my favourite next to first one.
Where the series lost me was with the next book (Heretics of Dune) for some reason the whole thing just got so dry and hard to get into with another thousand year jump, I didn't even get through half of it.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I perhaps liked the first Dune book least of all, though my opinion could easily change if I read it again. My problem was it had so many concepts or groups or bits of society that weren't spelled-out. I spent so much time in the book trying to figure out what Item X was all about, or how Group Y related to Group Z, that much of the time I couldn't appreciate what was going on in all the interaction. After that initial hurdle, though, the further ones were much simpler to get into.

(I've seen none of the screen adaptations.)

Kola

I'm not setting any spoiler tags now, so beware. It's such an old storyline...you know...Aeris is dead and all... :)

Cymbal Head said:
For me, what made Dune interesting was the world. The harsh landscape and the adaptations it forces people to make

You know that "green Arrakis" is turning back to a desert planet later on, called "Rakis" and that after getting nuked Planet Chapterhouse plays the role of "Dune"? All the little remarks about the past are also interesting to read.

the culture and the technology, the tone of the political intrigue. Dune Messiah and Children of Dune have all this to a greater or lesser extent. Jumping thousands of years into the future with a green Arrakis and a whole new cultural and political tone was jarring and removed the aspects that I found most interesting. I enjoyed book 4, but if you had changed some names and finessed a few plot points a little bit I wouldn't have been able to recognize it as Dune.

IMO the political intrigue is not lost at all, especially considering the political and military play between the Bene Gesserit and the Honored Matres and of course Leto II.s schemes. The characters are absolutely stunning, Odrade and Miles Teg are among the coolest characters in the Dune universe and, you know, Duncan Idaho is always there. Both of 'em, Miles and Duncan, have something "Nietzschien" about them, being kinda the Übermensch, the biggest asset of mankind. It's really a great read. At some point you come to realize that Herbert must have read alot of philosophical stuff which adds to the whole series.

It was at that point that I lost interest in the series.

Sorry to hear, your missing out on something; seriously!

womp

Manics said:
Way too old for Paul's sister.

I was being tongue in cheek, she was what? 9 in the Lynch Dune?

She grew up to be total hotness and I demand she take over the role once again regardless of age. ;)

JB1981

I think Peter Berg is talented and I LOVE scifi so I am looking forward to this. Christian Bale should play Paul Atreides.

Orodreth

Kola said:
I'm not setting any spoiler tags now, so beware. It's such an old storyline...you know...Aeris is dead and all... :)

You know that "green Arrakis" is turning back to a desert planet later on, called "Rakis" and that after getting nuked Planet Chapterhouse plays the role of "Dune"? All the little remarks about the past are also interesting to read.

You´re pushing me to reread them all again. I have already been doing that with the first trilogy every few years but read IV to VI just once.

I also asked above, how good is the butlerian jihad trilogy? is it any good or more or less same as the House prequel trilogy?

JB1981 said:
I think Peter Berg is talented and I LOVE scifi so I am looking forward to this. Christian Bale should play Paul Atreides.

Paul is supposed to be a teenager, and to look like an adolescent.

bionic77

The material doesn't really lend itself into the makings of a great movie. I really liked the first book when I was a kid (the sequels get progressively worse and the space whores concept was the last straw for me), but just let it be and try something new instead.

And count me in among those that prefer the movie to the sci fi mini series.

Snaku

Banned
JB1981 said:

You know it's gonna be Shia LaBeouf. :lol

Orodreth said:
I also asked above, how good is the butlerian jihad trilogy? is it any good or more or less same as the House prequel trilogy?
I personally enjoyed them, but I also didn't mind the House prequels. However, I think it's a big thing in the "Legends of Dune" books' favor that being thousands of years before the original Dune books, they can't get away with just taking a bunch of familiar characters and dialing back a few decades. How weird to not even have a Duncan Idaho around. It does get a bit goofy that they have so many of the major organizations of original Dune's society start in such a relatively small length of time, but I suppose from a storytelling sense it's much easier.

Orodreth

JoshuaJSlone said:
I personally enjoyed them, but I also didn't mind the House prequels. However, I think it's a big thing in the "Legends of Dune" books' favor that being thousands of years before the original Dune books, they can't get away with just taking a bunch of familiar characters and dialing back a few decades. How weird to not even have a Duncan Idaho around. It does get a bit goofy that they have so many of the major organizations of original Dune's society start in such a relatively small length of time, but I suppose from a storytelling sense it's much easier.

I´ll give them a try then.

From what i remember from the House trilogy, it started well but burned soon after, maybe constrained by the settings and characters and trying to fit everything with the original books but without any of their charm and depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom