• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ParentGaf OT: Birth, Bib and Beyond

My daughter woke up sick yesterday with a high fever. Thankfully the fever is down today but she's still coughing and snotty. Hoping that this is one sickness that passes me by.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning and my mom keeps on telling me to ask them to strip my membranes. I feel kind of bad for her because they've been telling me for months that I'm measuring ahead and that the baby is big and that he could come early and here we are almost to my due date so she came down to stay with us. She's been at our house now for 8 days, I know she misses my dad, but honestly there isn't much I can do. She offers induction suggestions and I tell her there's no scientific evidence that it works. I'll talk to my doctor about striping my membranes though.
Yeah it'll happen when the time is right. Not much else to say really.

Doctor's appointment today. I'd lost two pounds which is nice, he's dropped to negative 1 but I haven't dilated any more, and now 70% effaced. They did not strip my membranes because I wasn't dilated enough, but I do have an induction scheduled on the 19th which puts me one day from 41 weeks.
Have so far only had the one contraction, constantly uncomfortable and bone crushingly exhausted, daughter is still sick, life is currently super peachy. /s
Well at least you have an end date :)

ColdPizza

Banned
Crap crap crap, just took my 16 month old son to the docs and found out he has RSV...his breathing is rapid and a bit labored. Doc prescribed a z-pack so hopefully that will do it, but she said to time out the breathing and if it reaches like 50 or 60 breaths per minute we need to take him to the hospital. I know RSV can be pretty serious so I'm naturally a bit concerned.

zbarron

Crap crap crap, just took my 16 month old son to the docs and found out he has RSV...his breathing is rapid and a bit labored. Doc prescribed a z-pack so hopefully that will do it, but she said to time out the breathing and if it reaches like 50 or 60 breaths per minute we need to take him to the hospital. I know RSV can be pretty serious so I'm naturally a bit concerned.

Well you caught it and are keeping an eye on him. That's the important part. Does he have other health problems?

theaface

ParentGAF, I'm a daddy!! Today my wife birth to a beautiful little boy called Sullivan. I just can't describe or believe the feeling, and needed to vent my happiness. We've only known him for a few hours now and already he's our world. It's the best feeling.

Evzw9IH.jpg

I also owe a countless debt of gratitude for my superstar wife who endured an enormously tough labour with minimal pain relief to bring our son into the world. It's something I'll never forget.

Best of luck to everybody else expecting in the next week or two.

ParentGAF, I'm a daddy!! Today my wife birth to a beautiful little boy called Sullivan. I just can't describe or believe the feeling, and needed to vent my happiness. We've only known him for a few hours now and already he's our world. It's the best feeling.

I also only a countless debt of gratitude for my superstar wife who endured an enormously tough labour with minimal pain relief to bring our son into the world. It's something I'll never forget.

Congrats to you and little Sully.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fT1jPfD67n4&feature=youtu.be&t=1m45s

Silraru

I also only a countless debt of gratitude for my superstar wife who endured an enormously tough labour with minimal pain relief to bring our son into the world. It's something I'll never forget.

Congrats.

Soulfire

Congratulations! So excited for you.

Congrats, and welcome to the club!

JoeNut

Hey! Congrats man! He's a beaut! And guess what, we joined the club too, this is Leo, who also endured a long labour and came by a similar method by the looks of it, he arrived on the 12th at 3:55pm - high five mate!!!

KHxjm8f.jpg

Grug

A couple of forceps deliveries by the looks of it.

Our little guy came the same way. Those marks will be gone in a few days.

Congrats guys!

theaface

Hey! Congrats man! He's a beaut! And guess what, we joined the club too, this is Leo, who also endured a long labour and came by a similar method by the looks of it, he arrived on the 12th at 3:55pm - high five mate!!!

High five! How funny, Sully's middle name is Leo! We thought he'd arrive on the 12th as well as her waters broke early on Thursday morning, but he held out on his debut til a good 30 something hours later!

Congratulations to you and Mrs Joenut, wonderful news.

Just got back to the hospital and our boy is doing so well. His swelling has already gone down a lot and he's even more adorable today than yesterday.

JoeNut

High five! How funny, Sully's middle name is Leo! We thought he'd arrive on the 12th as well as her waters broke early on Thursday morning, but he held out on his debut til a good 30 something hours later!

Congratulations to you and Mrs Joenut, wonderful news.

Just got back to the hospital and our boy is doing so well. His swelling has already gone down a lot and he's even more adorable today than yesterday.
Hated having to leave hospital last night, feels so good to be back with them both

Grug

Hated having to leave hospital last night, feels so good to be back with them both

How good is the feeling though when you wake up at home and remember you get to go back in and see your wife and baby though.

Those first few days are surreal and wonderful.

Soulfire

KHxjm8f.jpg

Congrats! Such awesome photos

theaface

How good is the feeling though when you wake up at home and remember you get to go back in and see your wife and baby though.

Those first few days are surreal and wonderful.

So true.

I didn't have to leave the hospital but I'd been awake for nearly 40 hours and wouldn't have been able to sleep properly in a chair. Better to go home, sleep and shower and come back refreshed and ready to help mum and baby out the next day.

This is Sully on day 2, melting my heart...

G0vV7o6.jpg

ColdPizza

Banned
Well you caught it and are keeping an eye on him. That's the important part. Does he have other health problems?

No. Otherwise he's a tank. He seems to be doing a little better today. Sleeping on my lap right now.

Why the z pack?

My son Logan just got over RSV. Is your child in daycare? Our pediatrician said it's almost definitely true that 100% of children in daycare will get RSV at one time or another.

Unless your child is very young it probably isn't worth worrying about. Though my son also caught it at 16 months, and we ended up in the ER because he kept gagging on mucus. While there he coughed up what must have been like two full ounces of thick yellow phlegm. I know how worrying it can be.

I guess the z pack is for the ear infection he has as well as prevent any secondary infection. Yes he goes to daycare.

He's pretty congested but sleeps better when I rock with him. His mucus looks more clear/white and not too thick. He's still very tired but is eating/drinking okay and plays when he has enough energy.

Grug

Get lots of video. They change SO MUCH, so quickly and it's wonderful to go back and look at how they were at various ages.

Our son will be 1 year on the 27th. He's been on gentlease formula pretty much exclusively. Has done well on it. Now that he is entering the toddler stage we are debating on wether we get him the "next step" formula/milk stuff or mainly just give him straight up milk? What did you all do?

Goodlife

Our son will be 1 year on the 27th. He's been on gentlease formula pretty much exclusively. Has done well on it. Now that he is entering the toddler stage we are debating on wether we get him the "next step" formula/milk stuff or mainly just give him straight up milk? What did you all do?

All ours went straight to normal milk once they'd finished feeding at between 10 / 12 months. Breastfed, but same idea.

JoeNut

Congrats! I wanted to name my son Leo but my wife was against it pretty hardcore for some reason heh. Why did you have to leave the hospital?
The labour ward she was only was a shared ward with 2 other women and babies, partners weren't allowed to stay.

We're finally home, she had to stay in 2 nights and it's been horrendous, feels so good to be in our own home again

The labour ward she was only was a shared ward with 2 other women and babies, partners weren't allowed to stay.

We're finally home, she had to stay in 2 nights and it's been horrendous, feels so good to be in our own home again
Glad you are home. My wife had an induction plus c section so we were in the hospital 4 nights. My wife was miserable in those hospital beds.

Vengal

Been a wild ride for me my daughter and milk. First off i was sorta a bubble boy as a kid and still am allergic to a ton of shit. So when she was born and more or less refused breast milk I was like oh no here we go. So we switched her to dairy formula which worked for a bit till she started spitting up almost everyday. Next option was soy milk which worked for the next several months. Internally i'm just freaking out that this kid is going to get some of my sad allergies and man Soy formula is expensive.

Fast forward to the end of year one this past October and we are ready to try her on whole milk. I was sent to the store with the baby and the objective of buying Whole milk. I go to the dairy section and can't find whole milk. Being allergic to milk my whole life i realize in that moment I've never bought milk before nor do i know the differences between any of the milk cartons on the shelves. I was 80% sure whole milk was this "Vitamin D" milk but far from being an expert I had no idea and my grocery store is one of those fine stores that blocks internet signal so I couldn't look it up. So standing leaning on my cart with my daughter trying to steal my glasses I had to corner someone in the dairy section and ask them what vitamin D milk was and if it was whole milk. I end up asking 3 different people and none of them know what vitamin d milk is even though they're buying milk. Feeling and defeated at that moment I could see that all the Vitamin D milk had WIC labels on them so I just grabbed a gallon and went home.

Several months now and she appears to have no issue with milk or many of the other things I'm allergic to so thats great. The down side is now she's fully weaponized against me. Full mouth of teeth, often walks around with milk on her hands reaching for me. Once the nut spreads enter the mix I think I may need a hazmat suit.

Frostburn

I also owe a countless debt of gratitude for my superstar wife who endured an enormously tough labour with minimal pain relief to bring our son into the world. It's something I'll never forget.

I'm late to the party but Congratulations! Our son is almost 6 months old already and even after some rough days and almost sleepless nights the time has FLOWN by! He kept almost all the hair he had at the start and is getting more now, he can sit up on his own and check his balance, flip over from belly to back at will and grab the pacifier and put it right in his mouth if he chooses too. It has been amazing seeing him develop and each day getting that smile or look for reassurance when he is with someone else is just awesome. Being a parent isn't something everyone wants but I couldn't imagine my life without him now.

mrkgoo

I'm late to the party but Congratulations! Our son is almost 6 months old already and even after some rough days and almost sleepless nights the time has FLOWN by! He kept almost all the hair he had at the start and is getting more now, he can sit up on his own and check his balance, flip over from belly to back at will and grab the pacifier and put it right in his mouth if he chooses too. It has been amazing seeing him develop and each day getting that smile or look for reassurance when he is with someone else is just awesome. Being a parent isn't something everyone wants but I couldn't imagine my life without him now.

Out of curiosity, what would you say about the potential "gulf" between a non-parent vs parent? It has been a while for me, but do you think that parenthood is actually something a bit surprising living it than hearing about it? In other words, to what extent do you feel about the accuracy of "only a parent really fully understands"?

mrkgoo

Been a wild ride for me my daughter and milk. First off i was sorta a bubble boy as a kid and still am allergic to a ton of shit. So when she was born and more or less refused breast milk I was like oh no here we go. So we switched her to dairy formula which worked for a bit till she started spitting up almost everyday. Next option was soy milk which worked for the next several months. Internally i'm just freaking out that this kid is going to get some of my sad allergies and man Soy formula is expensive.

Fast forward to the end of year one this past October and we are ready to try her on whole milk. I was sent to the store with the baby and the objective of buying Whole milk. I go to the dairy section and can't find whole milk. Being allergic to milk my whole life i realize in that moment I've never bought milk before nor do i know the differences between any of the milk cartons on the shelves. I was 80% sure whole milk was this "Vitamin D" milk but far from being an expert I had no idea and my grocery store is one of those fine stores that blocks internet signal so I couldn't look it up. So standing leaning on my cart with my daughter trying to steal my glasses I had to corner someone in the dairy section and ask them what vitamin D milk was and if it was whole milk. I end up asking 3 different people and none of them know what vitamin d milk is even though they're buying milk. Feeling and defeated at that moment I could see that all the Vitamin D milk had WIC labels on them so I just grabbed a gallon and went home.

Several months now and she appears to have no issue with milk or many of the other things I'm allergic to so thats great. The down side is now she's fully weaponized against me. Full mouth of teeth, often walks around with milk on her hands reaching for me. Once the nut spreads enter the mix I think I may need a hazmat suit.

I've never really thought about this side of things where a child can eat the things a parent cannot. Must be a whole new perspective.

At the point you did introduce dairy again after the soy, did you do so gradually? I'm just asking out of curiosity more than anything. MY daughter doesn't appear to have any allergies, and my second kid gets eczema (which a dozen different people will give you different views on what is causing it, when it could actually be nothing)... so at one point we did consider the whole dairy thing, but it's just SO hard to be properly scientific about it, as "controls" can't be performed properly, lol. We ended up sort of just going with it and it sort of minimised itself...

JoeNut

Well we have survived our first night at home. He is absolutely perfect if he's attached to one of us but just will not accept being in a Moses basket on his own. Will this change as he gets used to his surroundings a bit?

Don't skip leg day

Don't worry. The husband is a fitness enthusiast, so he's on it.

I laughed out loud at this.

My milk was drying up so we moved to cows milk at twelve months and it was awesome. To go from pumping exclusively, spending four hours a day on pumping and pumping related activities to just whole milk it was like the world was suddenly mine. Man I hope this new kid breastfeeds when he finally decides to show up.

I can't imagine pumping so much. I was nagged constantly to pump by my husband so he could 'help', but when I finally did consistently, he never bloody offered or made any use of them! That coupled with what a draining, and often frustrating, chore it was, and I can't imagine how you ladies stick with it. You must have felt light as a feather when all that ended. Hallelujah! Fingers crossed for BF-ing #2.

Well we have survived our first night at home. He is absolutely perfect if he's attached to one of us but just will not accept being in a Moses basket on his own. Will this change as he gets used to his surroundings a bit?

Depends on the kid and how you guys approach it. I worked from the get-go to not jump when mine cried or pick her up constantly so that we wouldn't end up with a baby that couldn't self-settle or sleep on her own and that seems to be paying dividends now in sleep, but she was also amendable to that kind of 'training'. Some babies are very colicky or far fussier and for your own sanity you just have to do what you have to do to get some sleep. You could try encouraging small self-settling habits now and seeing if he takes to it, but as they say, you can't spoil a newborn. They're too young to 'learn' anything, so don't force it. They need closeness and attention. So, short answer: maybe.

Silraru

It really depends on the child. Both of my sons would not sleep in a crib on their own. They seem to have feelers out on whether or not they are alone. Even now, my toddler son doesn't want to sleep in his own room. We actually have him sleeping on his own mattress in our room (just so he's not sleeping on our bed) When they are awake as babies, they constantly want to be held and whoever's holding them must walk around and rock them.

That said, couple of tips I do use to try minimize or get away with putting them down (even just for a bit for a break) When they are sleeping, I would wrap them in a blanket first and rock them for a bit before putting them down with the blanket. The warmness and softness of the blanket helps. I would stay around and pat them for a bit before completely leave them there. As they are a bit older, I would lie down with them in bed and wait until they fall asleep. Some books have suggested white noise machine for sleeping babies and/or something with mother's scent nearby for sleeping babies. Those never worked for me though but every child is different. If my sons are awake when I put them down in a crib, I try to make sure they can see me. This is not perfect solution though. They are still very attached as babies even at 3 months mark. Try different things out and find something that works for your son. That's all I can say but do be prepared since it is possible that he might want to be attached all the time. Currently counting down the time until my 2nd son's mobile and I no longer have to carry him around all the time.

theaface

Our first night at home was both wonderful and challenging. Sully was quite restless due to hunger. He's feeding really well on the right breast but can't quite seem to latch on properly to the left. We've tried having him in the rugby ball position so that's he still lying on the same side whichever breast he's at, but he's still much happier on the right.

He's just had a feed and is now (finally) asleep, so my wife is also taking a much deserved and needed nap. Community midwife will be coming round today so hopefully they have some advice for us. Other people's experiences also welcome!

Worth stressing that we're still loving every moment. Even when he cries, it's just a blessing to know that he's here and well.

Silraru

Our first night at home was both wonderful and challenging. Sully was quite restless due to hunger. He's feeding really well on the right breast but can't quite seem to latch on properly to the left. We've tried having him in the rugby ball position so that's he still lying on the same side whichever breast he's at, but he's still much happier on the right.

He's just had a feed and is now (finally) asleep, so my wife is also taking a much deserved and needed nap. Community midwife will be coming round today so hopefully they have some advice for us. Other people's experiences also welcome!

Worth stressing that we're still loving every moment. Even when he cries, it's just a blessing to know that he's here and well.

Kids can have preference on sides. Both of my sons had trouble latching on left side when they were young. My older son eventually only nursed on the right, completely ignoring the left. My 2nd son now feeds on both and seem to prefer left side now that he is a bit older. Different position helps too. My 2nd son was more likely to feed on left in football hold vs cradle hold. Lying down and feeding my first son was great but not easy for my 2nd son compared to cradle hold position.

That said, having a midwife or nurse examine the feeding process really helps. Even though I had experience with my first, I had a nurse do home visit which really helped making it smoother.

theaface

Kids can have preference on sides. Both of my sons had trouble latching on left side when they were young. My older son eventually only nursed on the right, completely ignoring the left. My 2nd son now feeds on both and seem to prefer left side now that he is a bit older. Different position helps too. My 2nd son was more likely to feed on left in football hold vs cradle hold. Lying down and feeding my first son was great but not easy for my 2nd son compared to cradle hold position.

That said, having a midwife or nurse examine the feeding process really helps. Even though I had experience with my first, I had a nurse do home visit which really helped making it smoother.

Great to hear your perspective, thanks. :)

Hi all.

I didn't realise this thread existed before now so thought I'd share my experience of the last 10 months.

In March of last year my daughter Evelyn had to be delivered at 24 weeks due to major complications with the pregnancy. She weighed 1lb 6oz and could pretty much fit in the palm of your hand. She spent the first 4 months of her life in hospital which was obviously difficult for all of us, especially not being able to hold your baby for the first few weeks and having to leave her there every night to come home to try and get some rest.

The time at the hospital is full of ups and downs, you meet other parents going through similar situations, befriend and support each other, and get to see them eventually leave with their babies. Others unfortunately never get to take their baby home. I ended up leaving my job of 10 years a month after she was born when they decided to make voluntary redundancies.

Ultimately the main concern with Evelyn was that she was born with chronic lung disease, something fairly common with severely premature babies. After being on the ventilator for a few months she went onto oxygen through a nasal tube but couldn't be weaned off it before we were finally discharged.

We came home at the end of July last year and she is still on oxygen now for 18 hours a day. Apart from that she's a perfectly normal 10 month old and continuing to develop well.

Shout out to the NHS as well. Even though the UK government is trying to run it into the ground it's been nothing short of perfect in the support and care both in hospital and since we've been home.

1 week.

IMG_4123_zps6ywrtvt4.jpg

10 months.

20170108_224302_zpsqfqnv7t7.jpg

theaface

What a beautiful little girl. Fingers crossed she continues to go from strength to strength. Enormous respect for the amount of courage you and mummy must have had to go through what you have.

I'd just add that I was blown away by the treatment we received for our baby's birth. Every person was kind, patient and attentive; from the midwife who stayed 2 hours over her 12 hour shift because she wanted to see him be born (unfortunately he still held out til after she left) to anothher who spent an hour just helping my wife get the hang of feeding. We're so blessed to have the health service that we do here in the UK. Looking forward to sending our hospital a card to express our thanks for their wonderful care.

mrkgoo

Hi all.

I didn't realise this thread existed before now so thought I'd share my experience of the last 10 months.

In March of last year my daughter Evelyn had to be delivered at 24 weeks due to major complications with the pregnancy. She weighed 1lb 6oz and could pretty much fit in the palm of your hand. She spent the first 4 months of her life in hospital which was obviously difficult for all of us, especially not being able to hold your baby for the first few weeks and having to leave her there every night to come home to try and get some rest.

The time at the hospital is full of ups and downs, you meet other parents going through similar situations, befriend and support each other, and get to see them eventually leave with their babies. Others unfortunately never get to take their baby home. I ended up leaving my job of 10 years a month after she was born when they decided to make voluntary redundancies.

Ultimately the main concern with Evelyn was that she was born with chronic lung disease, something fairly common with severely premature babies. After being on the ventilator for a few months she went onto oxygen through a nasal tube but couldn't be weaned off it before we were finally discharged.

We came home at the end of July last year and she is still on oxygen now for 18 hours a day. Apart from that she's a perfectly normal 10 month old and continuing to develop well.

Shout out to the NHS as well. Even though the UK government is trying to run it into the ground it's been nothing short of perfect in the support and care both in hospital and since we've been home.

1 week.

IMG_4123_zps6ywrtvt4.jpg

10 months.

20170108_224302_zpsqfqnv7t7.jpg

Thanks for sharing...will she need some permanent long-term care along that manner, or will she be totally fine once she's older and more developed?

What a beautiful little girl. Fingers crossed she continues to go from strength to strength. Enormous respect for the amount of courage you and mummy must have had to go through what you have.

I'd just add that I was blown away by the treatment we received for our baby's birth. Every person was kind, patient and attentive; from the midwife who stayed 2 hours over her 12 hour shift because she wanted to see him be born (unfortunately he still held out til after she left) to anothher who spent an hour just helping my wife get the hang of feeding. We're so blessed to have the health service that we do here in the UK. Looking forward to sending our hospital a card to express our thanks for their wonderful care.

Thanks and I'm glad you had a positive experience too. It's a shame the service is being pushed to breaking point where at some point in the future it probably won't be the free service we've come to rely on.

Thanks for sharing...will she need some permanent long-term care along that manner, or will she be totally fine once she's older and more developed?

She should be fine once she has been weaned off the oxygen. They will continue to increase the time she has off it as long her saturation levels are ok but they've been cautious over the winter period due to viruses. The issue is she's not too far off being able to crawl and I can imagine that tube is going to get wrapped around everything lol.

There are a couple of possible serious side affects (cerebral palsy being one) that could develop from the steroids that she had to have early on but they are not common so hopefully that won't be anything to worry about.

mrkgoo

Thanks and I'm glad you had a positive experience too. It's a shame the service is being pushed to breaking point where at some point in the future it probably won't be the free service we've come to rely on.

She should be fine once she has been weaned off the oxygen. They will continue to increase the time she has off it as long her saturation levels are ok but they've been cautious over the winter period due to viruses. The issue is she's not too far off being able to crawl and I can imagine that tube is going to get wrapped around everything lol.

There are a couple of possible serious side affects (cerebral palsy being one) that could develop from the steroids that she had to have early on but they are not common so hopefully that won't be anything to worry about.

Sweet! Here's hoping everything works out for you!

Top Bottom