• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parents are pulling their children out of Boy Scouts over Donald Trump's speech

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-parents-pulling-children-boy-081414507.html

Angry parents have pledged to withdraw their sons from Boy Scouts amid an outcry over Donald Trump's highly politicised speech to tens of thousands of youngsters.

The US President broke with tradition to attack his political foes, threaten to fire federal employees, and denounce the media in a rambling address at the 2017 National Scout Jamboree.

His speech, which also contained innuendo-laden anecdotes, was likened by one commentator to that of "a drunk stepdad".

Previous presidents to have addressed the Jamboree, held every four years, have typically steered clear of politics and instead saluted Scout values such as trustworthiness, loyalty, and bravery.

Many parents called on the Boy Scouts of America to condemn Mr Trump's speech and were further angered by the organisation's lukewarm response.

I've heard a lot of local chapters are also denouncing the speech, contrary to what BSA HQ has said (or in this case not said).

It is also interesting to note that the current president of BSA is also the president, chairman, and CEO of AT&T, a telecommunications giant that I'm sure doesn't want to ruffle the current administration's feather.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The statement released by the Boy Scouts org pissed me off. Basically saying they have no political affiliation because admonishing Trump for saying some crude shit to a bunch of children as your guest speaker would be considered partisan by them I guess.

Sucky to hear. Boy scouts in NW Ohio when I was a member was a super upstanding organization filled with intelligent and trustworthy people . Times have changed

SeanC

It was one of the most disgusting things Trump has done, and that's saying a friggin lot.

Them having him speak is one thing, nothing wrong with saying "Hey prez come say some things" but after that presentation and no statement from the Scouts condemning it? Yeah, I'd take my kid out too.

WedgeX

Banned
It's not like Trump is going to stop donating to them if they denounce what he did.

Agree completely with parents pulling their kids.

old

Remember kids the whole point of life is to get rich, buy a yacht, and do naughty things on it.

That's our president.

Beartruck

Boy Scouts about to be renamed the New Hitler Youth.
Children in the BSA were some of the coolest most responsible people I've ever met. Equating them to hitler youth is utterly farcical.

Also, the BSA just allowed transgender people into their ranks but fuck them I guess.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Sucky to hear. Boy scouts in NW Ohio when I was a member was a super upstanding organization filled with intelligent and trustworthy people . Times have changed

I am sure there are still good people in the Boy Scouts. Trump went Trump and the president of the Scouts didn't want to condemn him for it because of the AT&T/Time Warner merger on the table. It sucks that leadership is going to screw the overall organization.

Meffer

I was a Boy Scout when I was a kid. Trump certainly ruined their image. What the fuck were they thinking letting him do a speech?

sarcastor

has anyone come out and actually said that his speech was actually good?

I mean anyone who's not batshit crazy so ann coulter doesn't count.

bionic77

has anyone come out and actually said that his speech was actually good?

I mean anyone who's not batshit crazy so ann coulter doesn't count.
Republicans love anything that offends or pisses off liberals so i am guessing it was very well received by conservatives.

DrkSage

I had to look this shit up.

lol he's still traumatized about the size of the crowd hahahaha i can't. he even asked if Obama went to a jamboree xD my god he's fucking ego is killing him

My old Boy Scout Troop put out a statement apologizing for the president's remarks saying his speech was highly inappropriate. They are also hiring a guest speaker to come in to discuss "the importance of treating others with respect."

Since the Troop is from the Beaverton/Tigard area of Oregon, it should be expected that the troop is quite liberal/capable of basic human decency

digdug2k

Didn't we just spend like 8 years fighting to get the boy scouts not to treat the LGBT community like shit? Why do people support the organization at all at this point?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I have a friend who is an Eagle Scout who has been livid about Trump's speech. He's been calling every single person he know's in the Scouts as well as giving Hell to the leadership. Might not amount to much but a lot of people are rightfully pissed.

MrNelson

Banned
I don't really know how I feel about this course of action.

On one hand, fuck Trump, he shouldn't have been there in the first place.

On the other, all pulling out their kids is going to do it hurt their local Troops. Boy Scout Troops are by and large autonomous, and generally don't reflect the opinions of those at the top. In the 12 years I gave to scouting, I don't ever recall anyone's political beliefs ever seeping into our meetings or any activities that we did.

Ri'Orius

I'd love to see who thought it was a good idea to have Trump speak at their politically unrelated event.

It's been longstanding policy: the President of the USA is the honorary President of the Boy Scouts and is invited to speak every Jamboree.

Which is a great policy for every President we've ever had... until now.

I had to look this shit up.

lol he's still traumatized about the size of the crowd hahahaha i can't. he even asked if Obama went to a jamboree xD my god he's fucking ego is killing him

Attacks Obama at Jamboree...Obama was a Scout, he wasn't.

Attacks McCain for Vietnam War POW status...he didn't fight from "bone spurs".

It's always projection.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I can't believe there are parents who don't want their children exploited as propoganda assets

Top Bottom