• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Part-Time Gamer podcast with Chris Pranger (Nintendo Treehouse Guy)

SalvaPot

This Podcasts sets a nice precedent, I´ll love to hear more stories about how my favorite games are made and localized.

Also, Chris is a funny guy, I really enjoyed the Kap´n dialogue.

Nightbird

Lol, i'm currently listening to the Part with the Naming of Games/ Consoles, and i'm loving it.

I would have loved a "Shin Super Mario Brothers"

KingBroly

Banned
They should've called New Super Mario Bros. U "Exotic Super Mario Bros.." That'd sell some copies, lol.

The Kap'n in the Cafe story sounds hilarious, just to imagine the panic around it. Also, the fact that he got shafted by someone because he didn't write Kap'n's songs.

Semajer

I think that if Nintendo had Treehouse explain some of the changes they make during localisation they'd have less bitching on the internet. Transparency and an answer that explains the reality of the situation would certainly be appreciated.

Neiteio

The bit about Sakurai separating the marshmallows from his chocolate Lucky Charms cereal and saving them up to eat a bowl full of marshmallows was amazing. I didn't even know they had Lucky Charms in Japan, unless they import them.

Ninjimbo

I finally got around listening to this and, man, this was genuinely great: the Sakurai stories, the little bits of Dark Souls talk, the truth-bombs about localization and the financial hurdles. Just an incredible conversation to listen for anyone interested in NoA and what they do.

xaszatm

Banned
Honestly, I still find that Animal Crossing story interesting because it shows how localization isn't just saving the holy Japanese text and transliterating it 100%. Changes will happen due to cultural differences and we should realize that 100% translations don't always work.

...Or we could make a new thread dedicated to bashing this guy.

Ninjimbo

It's disappointing that the other thread got more traction than this one just cause the OP decided to highlight the negative aspects. Really, the whole conversation has a lighthearted tone to it and yet you had people getting all worked up for some rather benign statements that are probably worlds more reasonable than whatever counters people want to come up with.

The other thread is so bad. It's pretty clear that the people complaining about the guy for being "condescending" and "insulting its audience" haven't listened to what he had to say. He makes some pretty clear and grounded points while providing some insight into the inner workings of NOA.

yeah, the other thread having way more pages than this one because the OP highlighted in a bad light what he said is sad. It's not often that we get treehouse people saying these things so openly and yet people are bashing the guy

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I think we should all enjoy this podcast because after the backlash we're unlikely to get anyone else at Nintendo speaking so candidly again.

xaszatm

Banned
I think we should all enjoy this podcast because after the backlash we're unlikely to get anyone else at Nintendo speaking so candidly again.

The truly sad part it that the exact same point was brought up on Nintendo reddit, with the OP wanting to talk about that specific thing...and both the OP and the responses were infinitely better thought out and planned instead of the drive-by shit-posting Neogaf did. I think that if Nintendo looks at other sources, they'll find they're much more receptive to the podcast than here.

But yeah, it's incredibly disappointing the eagerness of some people in this site to flip off NoA for any reason.

Meffer

The truly sad part it that the exact same point was brought up on Nintendo reddit, with the OP wanting to talk about that specific thing...and both the OP and the responses were infinitely better thought out and planned instead of the drive-by shit-posting Neogaf did. I think that if Nintendo looks at other sources, they'll find they're much more receptive to the podcast than here.

But yeah, it's incredibly disappointing the eagerness of some people in this site to flip off NoA for any reason.
Because they don't know jack shit.
NoA considered it too risky, but NoE picked it up and it did okay so in the end it worked out.

xaszatm

Banned
Because they don't know jack shit.
NoA considered it too risky, but NoE picked it up and it did okay so in the end it worked out.

Yeah, that is a good thing and I'm going to keep comment on this thread because it's still a godamn disgrace that the other thread still has so many people drive by posting. I really pray that Chris's job wasn't affected by that backlash. Oh, I know some of those people would be drooling happy if that did happen, though.

It's disappointing that the other thread got more traction than this one just cause the OP decided to highlight the negative aspects. Really, the whole conversation has a lighthearted tone to it and yet you had people getting all worked up for some rather benign statements that are probably worlds more reasonable than whatever counters people want to come up with.

Agreed with this. That other thread is an an embarrassment to this site, and an insult to the podcast

watershed

Banned
Oh man, I feel bad for the guy. Some folks on the internet and on gaf really went after him hard because of this podcast appearance. When he says it was ultimately his own fault but he didn't see it coming, I can't help but think about the internet reaction to his comments and how his bosses might have reacted to them. I hope that's not why but it sounds like it to me.

wow, i feel sorry for him. This also means that we won't have anything like this from the guys at treehouse anymore. The reaction was too strong for a very cool and inoffensive podcast

The negative reaction came from him defending Nintendo super hard on some touchy subjects, so that's pretty ironic if he was fired for it. It's a huge shame because, aside from this guy losing his job, which sucks, who else from NoA is going to want to talk about shit after this?

RedSpring

Neo Member
The backlash from his statements was ridiculous. Full of wannabe CEO. Not that there were no good reasons to bring it over but it was definitely a big risk with a good amount of success in partly due to the big Operation Rainfall movement over it not coming over in the first place. His firing will definitely mean less informations and transparency of the working of Nintendo which really suck since that is my favorite things to read about them.

Verger

Banned
The backlash from his statements was ridiculous. Full of wannabe CEO. Not that there were no good reasons to bring it over but it was definitely a big risk with a good amount of success in partly due to the big Operation Rainfall movement over it not coming over in the first place. His firing will definitely mean less informations and transparency of the working of Nintendo which really suck since that is my favorite things to read about them.
Yep, I could not for the life of me understand the backlash at all. It made zero sense to me and nothing he said was untruthful or disingenuous. He simply gave Nintendo's reasonings for some localizations and yes they make perfect business sense. I have no idea why people got "outraged" over such things.

Top Bottom