• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Part-Time Gamer podcast with Chris Pranger (Nintendo Treehouse Guy)

watershed

Banned
Chris Pranger from Nintendo's Treehouse tweeted about it earlier today. I did a search and didn't find anything. He works as a localization writer for NOA and talks about working for Nintendo, Sakurai as an auteur, game localization costs, the games he's playing, and more. It's one of the more candid conversations I've heard from a Nintendo employee about the company and games in general. Interesting stuff.

Now that I'm listening to all of it, it's well worth listening to for fans of Nintendo or game business talk. Lots of good anecdotes.

http://www.chaingangmedia.com/ptg76/

Lock if old.

Edit:
Interesting bit. He says Nintendo's media policy has recently changed regarding employees being more open about talking about their work but not spoilers or anything. That's probably why he can even do this podcast.

He is the voice of the first level boss in Star Fox Zero. Is working on the game as well.

Talks about NOA using employees as VAs for fun and cheap work.

Nintendo has a game library where employees can check out games for all systems in order to be well-versed in gaming. He played Bioshock Infinite that way.

Sakurai kills himself for his games. Is very sensitive to fan feedback.

Localization costs a ton of money and often the vocal minority of fans who want a game localized isn't a large enough consumer base to justify the localization costs. The original Xenoblade is an example he gives. NOE ate the cost on that project (as we know).

Oidisco

I'm only 17 minutes in but this is really interesting so far. Sakurai sounds kinda crazy in the best and worst ways

watershed

Banned
Interestingly, Nintendo has a game library where employees can check out games for all systems in order to be well-versed in gaming. He played Bioshock Infinite that way.

Edit: He mentions checking neogaf.

Bass260

Interestingly, Nintendo has a game library where employees can check out games for all systems in order to be well-versed in gaming. He played Bioshock Infinite that way.

Edit: He mentions checking neogaf.

What! Okay I gotta listen to this.

randomkid

I'm listening to this in the background and there's a couple funny stories about Sakurai's obsessiveness within the first 15 minutes. One involves Sakurai constantly rejecting footage Treehouse submitted of 8 player battles for US commercials because of precise insane positioning requests he was making. There's also a conspiracy theory about Ness being nerfed (is that the right word?) because Nate Bihldorff beat Sakurai really badly with him. I don't play Smash Bros but it seems kind of amusing.

There's also a strong defense of NoA's initial decision not to bring over Xenoblade or Captain Rainbow on Wii.

watershed

Banned
He mentions that Nintendo's media policy has changed for employees so they can be a bit more open talking about their work and the company.

Apparently the guy who created Adventure Time is a huge Animal Crossing fan.

Regiruler

So this guy caused this?

0ba.jpg

watershed

Banned
He talks about the rash of games having "New" in the title. Apparently, "New" is a very exotic, exciting word to use in Japan, meaning the English word "New" is used that way. That's why "New" is used so much in Nintendo games. The Treehouse folks explained to the Japanese developers that "New" isn't nearly as exciting in English markets but Nintendo decided to go with the "New" convention anyways.

Localization costs a ton of money and often the vocal minority of fans who want a game localized isn't a large enough consumer base to justify the localization costs. The original Xenoblade is an example he gives. NOE ate the cost on that project (as we know).

It's a pathetic excuse, especially with regards to Xenoblade. NoA has an obligation as a platform holder to release content, especially when every other part of the company is releasing a game. Make it happen.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It's a pathetic excuse, especially with regards to Xenoblade. NoA has an obligation as a platform holder to release content, especially when every other part of the company is releasing a game. Make it happen.

Not really as Nintendo of America wants to make a profit and at the time it did seem like that localizing Xenoblade Chronicles would yield little return compare to the cost in localizing it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Not really as Nintendo of America wants to make a profit and at the time it did seem like that localizing Xenoblade Chronicles would yield little return compare to the cost in localizing it.

Their dependence on short term profits seem to be a big reason they're in the mess they're in right now.

Maybe there was a chance to lose money on a Xenoblade localization, but there was also a chance for it to not only make a profit, but sell consoles and sow the seeds for a new successful franchise they can continue to milk over time, which they are currently doing with Xenoblade 3DS and X.

I can't believe the risk is that large compared to the potential rewards.

Their dependence on short term profits seem to be a big reason they're in the mess they're in right now.

Maybe there was a chance to lose money on a Xenoblade localization, but there was also a chance for it to not only make a profit, but sell consoles and sow the seeds for a new successful franchise they can continue to milk over time, which they are currently doing with Xenoblade 3DS and X.

Even more amazing is that NOE has a much smaller market; yet seems to take way more risk, spend more money, do more promotions, do more free giveaways, more sales on games.

NOA has a lot to learn from NOE.

This is what I was saying during the Devil's Third publishing discussion. There is no way that an enterprise the size of Nintendo is going to reverse a localization decision based solely on a subset of fans' online musings.

So on this point, I'm really glad that NoA has gone out of their way to localize Xenoblade Chronicles X, a game that has a, likely, thin ROI due to the sheer amount of localization work.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I can see where they came from. Though they really should have researched the market better since people love RPGs and Xenoblade ended up doing decently well here.

Damn good interview.

KingBroly

Banned
If I played Sakurai at Smash, I'd intentionally get crushed with a character so they'd get buffed. But I imagine he'd be able to tell.

That Xenoblade argument doesn't really hold water when you remember how Wii's 2011 lineup was nothing on top of nothing. What else did Nintendo release for the console aside from Kirby and Zelda?

Also, that Sakurai part was heartbreaking to listen to (although given the insane hyperbolic criticism he's gotten for the past seven years, it's really not surprising).

theclaw135

Banned

What we did get was a trainwreck. A taste of how other markets feel, when time and again they receive games in unaltered American English

Gleethor

Really liked the bit about Fox's VA (Mike West) being bummed about fan's reaction to his Smash performance. Sounds like he's nailing the role in SFZ though.

AniHawk

i have to ask: is he talking about xenoblade being tough to localize after noe had already been working on it? because the effort noa would have had to have done for the game at that point would have been absolutely minimal. it's already in english. manuals are already in english and french. just pop it in the testing room for a couple months and have people proofread shit. getting xseed to do pandora's tower and the last story blows my mind.

KingBroly

Banned
i have to ask: is he talking about xenoblade being tough to localize after noe had already been working on it? because the effort noa would have had to have done for the game at that point would have been absolutely minimal. it's already in english. manuals are already in english and french. just pop it in the testing room for a couple months and have people proofread shit. getting xseed to do pandora's tower and the last story blows my mind.

No, and he made it sound like NOE did it so we'd get it.

Meffer

I'm interested in hearing this since this what I want to do as a career. I'll check it while I work on my model kit.

Tookay

We arguably got a better dub through NoE handling Xenoblade than we would have if it had been done under NoA, so things sort of worked out.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
What we did get was a trainwreck. A taste of how other markets feel, when time and again they receive games in unaltered American English

a game is a trainwreck because it isn't in American English? please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also lol @ his mom thinking Wii U was a controller.

LOL I didn't get to that part. I wonder how many Nintendo employees have had to deal with that...

We arguably got a better dub through NoE handling Xenoblade than we would have if it had been done under NoA, so things sort of worked out.

Considering his mentioning of Nintendo still using their employees for cheap VA work, that's probably not far off the mark.

Granted, I doubt Xenoblade would've been so cheap, but I thought NOA moved past that with Ki: Uprising.

Nightbird

What? No, the Xenoblade Dub was one of the best things ever. In Fact, I wish more Games to have hard British Accents. Can't get enough of them!

@Podcast: looks like it's time for me to listen to a podcast again after several years

He's kind of annoying for the first ten minutes of the interview, but the rest is great. Glad to hear Nintendo is loosening the reins on employees.

Kevinroc

It was definitely interesting. (If you're reading this, hi, Chris!)

His talk about how some people at Nintendo take some of the online reactions was especially interesting. People online can be really brutal. Hearing how it effects the Star Fox VAs or how it effects Sakurai is fascinating and heartbreaking.

Neiteio

This is the guy who localized Hyrule Warriors, right? I thought he was hilarious at E3 2014's Treehouse Live. Not sure if I saw him this year.

KingBroly

Banned
okay thanks.

interesting that they had noe handle the localization effort then. it was probably a good chunk of their budget for not much return in europe.

It's not like it sold well in Japan, either.

I know he couldn't talk about FE: Fates because it's an in-development project so-to-speak, but I would've liked to have heard about some other controversial localization subjects that have come and gone.

The New Super Mario Bros. topic baffles me though. Like I just don't get it how Japan views it as something exotic and exciting and how they don't get how the rest of the world is like 'that same New Super Mario Bros' shit.

AniHawk

It's not like it sold well in Japan, either.

I know he couldn't talk about FE: Fates because it's an in-development project so-to-speak, but I would've liked to have heard about some other controversial localization subjects that have come and gone.

The New Super Mario Bros. topic baffles me though. Like I just don't get it how Japan views it as something exotic and exciting and how they don't get how the rest of the world is like 'that same New Super Mario Bros' shit.

i'm just running under the theory that noe doesn't have as big of a budget as noa. noe has a thing at gamescom and maybe japan expo and then tries to do their best to appeal to anyone. noa has e3, pax, and san diego comic-con at the very least, and localize way more games.

Meffer

Besides the stuff I summarized, there's a good deal of nitty-gritty localization talk. You'll probably love it.

I absolutely do. This was a great podcast! And since Chris said he checks NeoGaf I just wanna say you guys over there do amazing work and Treehouse specifically really inspired me into wanting to go in this kind of work. So yeah, all of you never stop being awesome.

Forkball

Sakurai if you're reading this I love you, and your decision to make K. Rool a joke costume is among your best.

Dryk

I actually hate it when the PAL versions of games have different English localisations than the US. Like I really hate it.

Went back to listen and he actually touches upon Mike West's reaction to the complaints about his Smash 4 voice for Fox. Apparently he was so down about him sounding nasal that he wasn't even sure he could do the voice in Zero, so he worked even harder to make sure he got it right.

I've noticed they've gone in a campy overacting direction since SF643D, so it's good to hear this. Still feel bad about his reaction, though!

Neiteio

Listening to him talk about his struggle with Dark Souls, I wish someone would tell him the starting class doesn't matter, and any investment in HP and stamina is always worthwhile.

KingBroly

Banned
i'm just running under the theory that noe doesn't have as big of a budget as noa. noe has a thing at gamescom and maybe japan expo and then tries to do their best to appeal to anyone. noa has e3, pax, and san diego comic-con at the very least, and localize way more games.

They probably don't, but they haven't really been known for localizing games or have direct relationships with European studios Nintendo owns or associates with. I guess NERD would be the closest, but they don't develop games. Off-hand, I can think of 1 game besides Xenoblade that they localized, and that was Dragon Quest 6, but even that I'm not 100% sure of.

On the subject of NOA localization, I still feel like there was a bit more in the well that could've been discussed here, maybe not with Pranger because he's new and may not know the history of projects before he went there.

Top Bottom