• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Party Chat has killed part of the online experience! Quest 2 bringing it back!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
My online career started with the dreamcast and then went on to the OG Xbox. It was always so interesting to shoot the shit with strangers, maybe do a little shit talking, and just meeting new people. Now a big part of that is gone with the whole party chat system. If your buddies are not online and you just want to shoot the shit with some randoms, good luck because everyone is in a party.

Got a Quest 2 for Xmas and population one is a very popular game on the system. Party chat is rarely use and I always meet new and interesting people. I have made 50 friends within the last few months just playing with random people I would not have met or got a chance to talk to otherwise. There is a time and place for party chat but do not feel it should be the norm.

THEAP99

Banned
That's great news too hear. I made a youtube rant video about it and tweeted/posted here complaining about how nobody uses game chat on cod anymore on console and are too busy hiding in discord or party chat.

Maybe I'll have to do get a quest some day but I'm not big on the forced facebook stuff

Last edited:

CamHostage

Got a Quest 2 for Xmas and population one is a very popular game on the system. Party chat is rarely use and I always meet new and interesting people. I have made 50 friends within the last few months just playing with random people I would not have met or got a chance to talk to otherwise. There is a time and place for party chat but do not feel it should be the norm.

I have heard great things about Population One from friends with a Quest 2, and this happy adoption of In-Game Chat is another plus for me.

This feels like the landmark SOCOM-scale event that VR has needed.

It's building up the right kind of online user base who are all there to actually play with one another as a team. (Like in every E3 "Online Gameplay" trailer, rather than the asshole little brats that you find when you actually play a lot of those games.) Eventually, it'll all probably be ruined (although maybe there's something about VR that encourages people to not be anonymous trolls?,) but for now, we can have nice things.

(*Those who were around for SOCOM on PS2 or later PSP know what I mean; maybe the equivalent on Xbox was like Rainbow Six 3 or Splinter Cell Splinter Cell PT, where having a mic not only made gameplay authentically tactical and fun, but also allowed you to make lasting friendships sometimes with online strangers.)

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I enjoyed random chat with randoms yesterday in Ghost of Tsushima: Legends in Raid mode as you need to be cooperative. Also find it useful in BF4 or The Division or any tactical game like Siege. That's my experience on PS platform, it's very, very rare to face a toxic person from my experience, maybe part of it is playing in multi-national, multi-language servers like in Asia and Europe so people tend to talk less overall.

I am guilty of not plugging in a mic when playing public games. I am getting old and talking to kids over the internet feels gross no matter the context.

I remember beta testing Xbox LIVE back in 2001. I met so many cool people playing Ghost Recon, Unreal Championship and Moto GP. No stoners, trolls, memers, or streamers. Just good banter among similar aged, like minded people. They were the good days.

Last edited:

(*Those who were around for SOCOM on PS2 or later PSP know what I mean; maybe the equivalent on Xbox was like Rainbow Six 3 or Splinter Cell Splinter Cell PT, where having a mic not only made gameplay authentically tactical and fun, but also allowed you to make lasting friendships sometimes with online strangers.)

I was around for socom. It was the fucking greatest and I'm still close friends with people I was in clans with from back then. But this won't be like that. Nothing can recapture the old days of online gaming when it was new to everyone. Now everyone does it so they just game with their school mates and that's that and it sucks.

I feel like there is no real communities anymore. Closest thing I see are competitive discords where people party up to play ranked in games.

IDappa

Been saying that Sony and Microsoft need to implement a dedicated push to talk button on their controllers to revive game chat.

Always talk to randoms on pc while in a discord chat with mates, It makes it more interesting. Also helps improve team work in games like hell let loose, BF, csgo and so on.

Redlancet

Banned
My online career started with the dreamcast and then went on to the OG Xbox. It was always so interesting to shoot the shit with strangers, maybe do a little shit talking, and just meeting new people. Now a big part of that is gone with the whole party chat system. If your buddies are not online and you just want to shoot the shit with some randoms, good luck because everyone is in a party.

you were one of these little annoying little kids back in the day? just kidding yeah,you got to know people in that way back in the day

I have heard great things about Population One from friends with a Quest 2, and this happy adoption of In-Game Chat is another plus for me.

It's building up the right kind of online user base who are all there to actually play with one another as a team. (Like in every E3 "Online Gameplay" trailer, rather than the asshole little brats that you find when you actually play a lot of those games.) Eventually, it'll all probably be ruined (although maybe there's something about VR that encourages people to not be anonymous trolls?,) but for now, we can have nice things.

Look great for a vr game until the fortnite building shit

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo wins generations without party chat, without voice characters and leads the way with this communication thank you party chat for making the lobbies quieter.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I enjoyed random chat with randoms yesterday in Ghost of Tsushima: Legends in Raid mode as you need to be cooperative. Also find it useful in BF4 or The Division or any tactical game like Siege. That's my experience on PS platform, it's very, very rare to face a toxic person from my experience, maybe part of it is playing in multi-national, multi-language servers like in Asia and Europe so people tend to talk less overall.

Today I've spent like 4-5 hours with randoms as well, a female from New Zealand, a guy from Saudi Arabia, a little boy from India. Had laughs and managed to finish Chapter II in GOT: Legends after nearly fucking 4 hours. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: All using in-game voice chat because you need cooperation.

I rarely encounter toxic people, like extremely rare, meaning less than 5 or at most 10 in the last decade.

Last edited:

Gamer79

What your title to me actually says is I really miss hearing hearing such words as faggot and nigger being shouted into my earlobes at 2 in the morning. Just do what the rest of us do when we need that asmr fix and look up mw2 lobby comp videos on YouTube.
Those days are over my friend. Yes that was Halo 2 and Call of duty.

I rarely run into anyone toxic in population one. Most are pretty cool. The rare occurance when someone is toxic there is a mute feature :)

Gamer79

Look great for a vr game until the fortnite building shit
It's in there but almost nobody uses it. It's a hunt and kill game at it's core. Jumping out of a pod holding your arms open and gliding over the map is an experience everyone should try at least once.

tommycronin

Those days are over my friend. Yes that was Halo 2 and Call of duty.

I rarely run into anyone toxic in population one. Most are pretty cool. The rare occurance when someone is toxic there is a mute feature :)
9bRI0bR.gif

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I would contend that there is perhaps a certain type of early adopter/ tech family that is often buying these, and maybe that skews the group to have less lame brain dead people? Just a guess really.

IDappa

At least make it mandatory in a game. New Socom if it ever comes out would need to have this. Who cares about party chat
Party chat is a double edged sword, always has been. It's good to catch up with friends but kills any organic interactions and teamwork in pub games. If I was to sacrifice one it would be party chat easily. But as I said all it takes is an extra button and everyone can be happy. I remember playing ghost recon and rainbow six, cod 2 good times were had and depending on the game Coordination was high..

FrankWza

Party chat is a double edged sword, always has been. It's good to catch up with friends but kills any organic interactions and teamwork in pub games. If I was to sacrifice one it would be party chat easily. But as I said all it takes is an extra button and everyone can be happy. I remember playing ghost recon and rainbow six, cod 2 good times were had and depending on the game Coordination was high..
It’s strange that people will avoid phone calls and prefer to text but when they’re playing cooperative games they don’t want to be involved with their team and talk less than in party chat. I think open mic was the start of things getting worse. PTT added strategy to games like socom too. More realistic and tactical

IDappa

It’s strange that people will avoid phone calls and prefer to text but when they’re playing cooperative games they don’t want to be involved with their team and talk less than in party chat. I think open mic was the start of things getting worse. PTT added strategy to games like socom too. More realistic and tactical
See I rather call than text, might be why I prefer the older days of online gaming. Along with teamwork I think it also it also effects unique experiences based around Voip.

Sane. GoT has a pretty awesome community. I chatted with a few randoms and all were funny and helpful. The Division games, at least on PC, seemed to mostly have a decent community. I just wish my attention was held longer in The Division 2.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sane. GoT has a pretty awesome community. I chatted with a few randoms and all were funny and helpful. The Division games, at least on PC, seemed to mostly have a decent community. I just wish my attention was held longer in The Division 2.

Yes I think it depends on the game. COD must have the most annoying community, but I don't play those anymore. Would rather play BF6 later after they go back to what made it great.

Cooperative games usually has good communities, and one of the best is Death Stranding while you still don't see them.

Unfortunately, PC games such as Squad and Hell Let Loose are really the only options left at the moment if you want this kind of experience. I wish Playstation would reboot SOCOM and block party chat from the game, similar to how party chat was blocked in Search and Destroy in one of the previous Modern CoD games. (It may have been MW Remastered, I forget).

I was around for socom. It was the fucking greatest and I'm still close friends with people I was in clans with from back then. But this won't be like that. Nothing can recapture the old days of online gaming when it was new to everyone. Now everyone does it so they just game with their school mates and that's that and it sucks.

I feel like there is no real communities anymore. Closest thing I see are competitive discords where people party up to play ranked in games.
I came in later but if you stayed with Socom through Confrontation on PS3, that game actually kicked off the game chat era fro that system as well. They actually sold a collectors edition bundle/box set that came with a Sony Bluetooth earpiece. For 12 year old me it was the sickest thing ever.

I felt like an actual soldier especially with all of the older guys using military lingo over the game chat. Pair that with the fully immersie Iraqi/Middle Eastern setting and that game really shined. ipper interactie made Socom 4 shitty and Sony killed it.

I think it's time for a come back.

FrankWza

See I rather call than text, might be why I prefer the older days of online gaming. Along with teamwork I think it also it also effects unique experiences based around Voip.
Same.
I wish Playstation would reboot SOCOM and block party chat from the game
That’s the hope
They actually sold a collectors edition bundle/box set that came with a Sony Bluetooth earpiece.
the original socom came in a bundle with the ONLY compatible headset for ps2. It was mono and usb. If it broke, and many of them did, you were without a mic until Logitech came out with theirs for ps2. There may have been 1 other mic that worked but you couldn’t just plug any usb mic into the ps2 and have it work.

the original socom came in a bundle with the ONLY compatible headset for ps2. It was mono and usb. If it broke, and many of them did, you were without a mic until Logitech came out with theirs for ps2. There may have been 1 other mic that worked but you couldn’t just plug any usb mic into the ps2 and have it work.

I must have gone through like 3x s2 headsets and 2x s1 headsets. S1 headsets i preferred because on the s2 one the mute button would break easily.

FrankWza

I must have gone through like 3x s2 headsets and 2x s1 headsets. S1 headsets i preferred because on the s2 one the mute button would break easily.
It was better. I ended up using the s1 until the Logitech came out. I think because it had a much longer wire or something. The s1 started crackling and I had to open the box and tape a wire inside. I think it would break on either side. Mic or usb. Crazy.

It was better. I ended up using the s1 until the Logitech came out. I think because it had a much longer wire or something. The s1 started crackling and I had to open the box and tape a wire inside. I think it would break on either side. Mic or usb. Crazy.

Lol I still used that shit on PS3 I think. Man I really hope we have a new socom. Again - I know it will never be the same, but there really is nothing else like it on the market now.

Shmunter

I agree that party chat has devalued the online experience. Teamwork, meeting new like minded people has taken a massive hit.

Even when 360 introduced chat, team games like Modern Warfare forced you out of it - sounds bonkers but it did it, and rightfully so.

Party chat certainly has its place, but there needs to be something to mitigated it.

Personally would love a setting where you can set an ‘open mic preference’ and those like minded that choose it, get matched together.

Edit: it’s also lack of standard headset being bundled. However PS5 hopefully changes all that with built in mic and chat in every controller, no excuses.

Last edited:
I actually enjoy that party chat is my primary form of communication in multiplayer games. I do not miss the racist talk and foul language that often riddled CoD lobbies.

FrankWza

Lol I still used that shit on PS3 I think. Man I really hope we have a new socom. Again - I know it will never be the same, but there really is nothing else like it on the market now.
I don’t know. Gaming has exploded so much that there are many shooters that have dedicated user base now. Back then it was 1-2 games per console. I think it could come out exactly as it was and be successful. Even if you allowed for options to be chosen for matchmaking, socom fans would pick PTT, no respawn etc.

Top Bottom