• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Party for up to 3 people: Secret of Mana VC official buggy mess thread.

Volcynika

MrCheez said:
What did you guys name your characters?

Mine:

Hero - Link (yeah, as a kid I wasn't as creative as I am now :p )

Girl - Darla (My friend and I couldn't think of any girl's names... so we ended up naming her after his mom. :lol )

Sprite - Cork (I honestly can't remember where this one came from, but it's a pretty badass name if I do say so myself!)

Every time I replay the game I just HAVE to use the same names for my characters. In my mind those ARE their names. :O

Personally, I haaaaaaate not having default names at least. I don't know why, I just really hate prefer coming up with names. So, the hero got my name, the girl got named Skye, and I'm not sure about the Sprite yet...

DavidDayton said:
Okay, question time.. could someone tell me...

a) The history/background of Square's "The Secret of Evermore" -- I thought I heard it was made by a Square USA team.
b) Was the aforementioned game released in Japan?

I played about five minutes of it, and I know the general consensus is that it's poor, but I'm curious as to whether it's odd enough for square Enix to let NOA put on the VC.

a) it was
b) dunno

but I seriously love that game, and yes I'm aware that it's no SoM or Seiken Densetsu 3. I realize that. If you've never tried Secret of Evermore however, I highly recommend you at least try it and judge for yourself. In my opinion, it's a criminally underrated title with TONS of atmosphere, a unique combat/magic system, and some seriously memorable boss encounters.

RedBoot

Volcynika said:
Personally, I haaaaaaate not having default names at least. I don't know why, I just really hate prefer coming up with names. So, the hero got my name, the girl got named Skye, and I'm not sure about the Sprite yet...

There are "canon" names, though I don't know how they got that label. Randi, Purim, and Popoi, for the Boy, Girl, and Sprite respectively. I'm not a huge fan of them though.

I went with Namu, Nico, and Nori myself. For some reason, the common first letter works here.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
RedBoot said:
There are "canon" names, though I don't know how they got that label. Randi, Purim, and Popoi, for the Boy, Girl, and Sprite respectively. I'm not a huge fan of them though.

Wow, I forgot all about that but I do remember seeing those names all over various fan sites. I always wondered if they were actually official or just a community thing :p

Aselith

DavidDayton said:

a) The history/background of Square's "The Secret of Evermore" -- I thought I heard it was made by a Square USA team.

I played about five minutes of it, and I know the general consensus is that it's poor, but I'm curious as to whether it's odd enough for square Enix to let NOA put on the VC.

WHO THE FUCK SAID SECRET OF EVERMORE IS POOR?!?!? If I find you, liar, I will kill you.

DavidDayton said:

For your perusal, DavidDayton:

http://www.super-nes.com/evermoreinterview.htm

That should give you some more background on the game's development. A link to the interview was originally posted in a thread started djtiesto, found here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317328

MrCheez said:
What did you guys name your characters?

Mine:

Hero - Link (yeah, as a kid I wasn't as creative as I am now :p )

Girl - Darla (My friend and I couldn't think of any girl's names... so we ended up naming her after his mom. :lol )

Sprite - Cork (I honestly can't remember where this one came from, but it's a pretty badass name if I do say so myself!)

Every time I replay the game I just HAVE to use the same names for my characters. In my mind those ARE their names. :O
For me, it was:

Hero - My name

Girl - Linda

Sprite - Wendy (I didn't have the manual and on first meeting him, I thought he was just a young girl with red hair. By the time I realised my mistake though, it was too late.)

Volcynika

RedBoot said:

I went with Namu, Nico, and Nori myself. For some reason, the common first letter works here.

Well, I think at my age back then, I didn't even know where to find canon names :(

DavidDayton said:

Secret of Evermore >>>>>>>>>>>> Secret of Mana

Yes it was made by Square USA
I do not think it was released outside of US/NTSC
It's probably "dead enough" to get a VC release

But that's another thread.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Dragona Akehi said:

PAL copped it too. Whilst SoE had its problems, it was still quite an atmospheric game at times.

jman2050

I cannot have been the only person who apparently skims over dialogue, doesn't read pronouns and thought for YEARS that the Sprite was female.

Right?

jman2050 said:
I cannot have been the only person who apparently skims over dialogue, doesn't read pronouns and thought for YEARS that the Sprite was female.

Right?
I named the Sprite Wendy and only found out he was male when I read a walkthrough to try to figure out how to get the Mana Sword.

Talk about a tranny surprise.

Hero

Dragona Akehi said:

No way. Secret of Evermore was fun but the sheer fact that Secret of Mana had multiplayer co-op makes it better by default.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
My favorite game EVER on the Virtual Console and I am too broke to download it ;.; points card next week then Secret of Mana time :D

Lakupo

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I named the Sprite Wendy and only found out he was male when I read a walkthrough to try to figure out how to get the Mana Sword.

Talk about a tranny surprise.
When I first played the game, I named the boy after me, and the other two off of some neighbors down the street, a tall girl and her short sister. So, Holly and Tiffany!

Ah, to be young and dumb. I would not do that again. Heck, I usually don't even name heroes after myself anymore.

Anyhoo, I'd get this, but I've been spending all of my Wii Points on the excellent WiiWare offerings lately. Maybe later! It's not like I want to pass up an opportunity to appreciate a Hiroki Kikuta soundtrack.

Jing_Ke

WOOOOOOOOOOO SECRET OF MANA!!!!

EVERYBODY DANCE!!

OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif

WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif

OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif

WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif

OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif

WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif

OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif
OMG.gif

WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif
WAT.gif

What.

MrCheez

omg omg shadow zero!

Somehow as a kid I caught wind of a rumor that two players attacking shadow zero with charged-up level 9 attacks RIGHT as he comes out of a treasure chest will grant you a wall-walk-through ability that could be used to access secret doors which would lead you to the underwater cannon travel in the middle of the ocean omggggg

Many hours were spent 'grinding' shadow zero in one of the mountain stages. These were times before everything about a game could be looked up on the internet.

Man, I put so many hours into this game. These days I hardly even beat games, let alone go back through them over and over again to try and discover every single little secret. Ah, to be young again!

MrCheez

biggkidd32 said:
Soundtrack is so awesome. I remember how I really wanted the OST for this game and the remixed experimental CD.

Yes! It's all good, but the title theme in particular is a classic. Hauntingly beautiful o.o

Hive

Banned
is this considered a glitch?

You can spam magic by pressing A (?) rapidly, bringing up the magic/item-wheel and casting magic before the enemy can even react.

If you have plenty of Mana Seeds, then there is no way to lose against a boss

Jing_Ke

Hive said:

You can spam magic by pressing A (?) rapidly, bringing up the magic/item-wheel and casting magic before the enemy can even react.

You can spam magic much faster if the one casting is a computer controlled magic caster (as there is a slight recovery animation delay for human players before you are allowed to bring up the ring menu once again).

Hive said:

I'm grumpy that I seem to be the only person on Earth who did not know about this. >:^(

firex

theinfinityissue said:
a) it was
b) dunno

but I seriously love that game, and yes I'm aware that it's no SoM or Seiken Densetsu 3.
You're right. It's actually better than both! SD3 is one of the most overrated games ever, though. It got legendary status before it even came out, and then finally the rom got fan translated, but the actual game is just average at best. Plus I don't even think you can play it 3 player. It's 2p only as far as I could tell.

Jiggy

And with this, the SNES emulator moves from having two to having three of my top five games-playable-on-a-Wii.

Also, for a huge proponent of video game music--if I don't like a game's music then it's automatically devalued by at least 15%--Secret of Mana is so, so good to me. ♥ I could listen to this stuff all day. It's not up there with Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI for quantity, but for quality I think SoM's best can stand up with the best of those two.

Alcibiades

I gave mine as default as names as they could be:

Serin (named after the hero or father or something)

Ally (because the instruction booklet said Ally was the girl helping me - I later found out what the definition of ally was)

Sprite (that's the what game called her/it)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Why is it that whenever a really awesome game comes out on Virtual Console, the more regular posters complain about how shitty it is and/or claim a horrendously inferior game is somehow better than it?

Screw you all waiting for that piece of garbage Secret of Evermore. If you're going to be like that, I'M going to not budge until I get MY Frantic Flea on VC, then go on about it when SoE comes out. See how YOU like it!

Also, I want SoM out now on our Virtual Console. ;_;

RpgN

Ahh! This, SMRPG and SFII!! I need to get a wii asap!

And what kind of bugs does the game contain?

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Phantom Flapjack said:
Yeah, that's a problem, though I always considered that just poor design.

That has actually always been my fundamental problem with Secret of Mana. It's not so much the bugs, it's the fundamental design problems, including the fact that the game is so obviously unfinished.

Oh, it's a side road off the main path in this dungeon, sweet! I wonder what I'll find. Oh, that's right. Nothing.

Honestly, the whole Seiken Densetsu series is marred by poor design.

And I know we've had this argument before, but now it's in a public forum. :D

Dragona Akehi said:

God yes, thank you. Wasn't this one of the reasons we quickly became friends? Even if it isn't, I won't object to some awesome revisionist history here.

All this being said, I'll probably buy it on the eventual day that I finally turn on my Wii again and go on a crazy shopping spree as I'm prone to do.

CO_Andy

The actual characters names are up on Wiki:

boy - Randy
girl - Purim
sprite - Popoie

And like everyone else i thought the sprite was a girl :/

Also SoE is the most badass even if it isn't technically part of the Mana series. Can't beat a robot toaster dog that shoots friggin' lasers!

Soule

I can't believe so many people thought the sprite was a girl :\ and wtf... the boy's name is Randy?? :||||||||||||||||||||||||||

On a slightly related note, my brother traded Secret of Mana for Secret of Evermore with a friend on a temporary basis under the assumption that we would trade back when he beat the game and we beat SoE... bastard moved to the other side of Australia with our game and left us high n dry with SoE :mad: that always annoyed me and left me pretty negative about SoE when I couldn't get SoM back... in hindsight though they're both games, Evermore has grown on me tremendously, I really enjoyed both and hopefully I get the chance to own them both on the VC :)

Yaweee

FFantasyFX said:
For your perusal, DavidDayton:

http://www.super-nes.com/evermoreinterview.htm

That should give you some more background on the game's development.
[/URL]

CD: Secret of Evermore has often gotten the incorrect distinction of being the game that US gamers received instead of Seiken Densetsu 3, which would have been the true sequel to our Secret of Mana. Why do you think that is and what do you have to say to those who believe this?

BF: Well, you can't really blame people for thinking that. It was a reasonable guess, it just happened to be incorrect. I was also disappointed when Seiken Densetsu 3 didn't get the US nod, but I had a chance to play the Japanese version, so I know it had some bugs. People who have played Seiken Densetsu 3 via emulation might know what I'm talking about. At the time, Nintendo was extremely strict about its zero-bug policy, and even with Square's history with Nintendo, I think they might have had a difficult time getting it through certification. They also might have had trouble getting the American consumer to accept its flaws without returning it to the store, which was much more common then. Of course, then we went and shipped Evermore with some bugs, so who I am to talk?

Was SD3 really more buggy than SoE and SoM? Both of those are already buggy as hell; there's some bizarre sequence breaking in SoE that scared the shit out of me as a kid.

freddy

Banned
I'm wondering if a lot of the bugs were fixed on PAL release because I didn't notice many of those bugs until I played the US version years later. Anyway great game series all the same with a menu interface that needs to be copied as much as possible.

Yaweee said:
Was SD3 really more buggy than SoE and SoM?

I wouldn't quite say more buggy but SD3 suffers from some incredibly poor design decisions.

-Character balance is whacked. Four of the chracters pretty much dominate and the rest are just plain dumb and only serve to make the game harder.
-Enemies level with you, terribly handled(especially if you get a mimic chest trap, that'll wipe your party faster than anything)
-In the effort to make the magic system less busted(There is a cast-delay this time) Square somehow managed to make melee ridiculously more powerful and useful. The only spells you'll really benefit from are healing and buffs/debuffs(which is interesting since buffs/debuffs were pretty much useless in SoM)
-Collision detection is still very spotty and the slower character movement means you'll be getting hit far more often.
-The interface is a mess. Along with the ring menu you now have a status screen, another screen for swapping items, yet more screens for other things, a serious headache to navigate altogether.
-Sub-classes aren't well explained or balanced either.

Bunch of other things

BreakyBoy said:
All this being said, I'll probably buy it on the eventual day that I finally turn on my Wii again and go on a crazy shopping spree as I'm prone to do.

Hey, I still owe you ten bucks, right? I think it'd be appropriate if I bought you SoM, and then....some MM9 DLC? Stupid fun bucks system.

Top Bottom