• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Dahbomb

Dev manifesto #2 on charges + chill/shock:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1929712

TL;DR: Charge changes reverted, chill/shock now require dmg dealt equal of 10% of max hp to be max effective.
Not sure why they think it's going to be easier to chill/shock late game bosses when there's no way you are going to be hitting a Guardian for 10% of its life in one hit unless you are playing a very specialize build.

I guess you can shock a boss for 5% extra damage (which is 1% of maximum efficiency) if you hit them for something that does 1/100th of their life. It's not that bad I guess, maybe if you invest in the point you can actually shock/chill Guardians somewhat reasonably.

Also Power Charges don't give Spell damage anymore? I thought that was a nice change.

squidyj

this may be less applicable to shock than it is to chill but I think in the current situation you apply a debuff for 300ms if you manage to achieve 5% of boss hp.
The idea might be less about you being able to stack big shock bonuses against bosses than it is about allowing you to get and keep debuffs up to activate secondary conditions
Hypothermia and Pandemonius both require the target to be chilled and dyadus requires the target to be chilled BY YOU so it can't even be activated off of ground effects.
Personally what I'd like to see is a revision to the system that allows smaller faster hits to be able to apply and benefit from status effects on bosses.

Rufus

I've played a couple other dual totem builds like pizza sticks and flame totems, how does this compare if you've played either of those? I've watched their vids and it looks pretty fun although a bit slower than what I'm maybe used to. I don't mind if the pace slows down, but did you find it pretty strong, defense wise or were you somewhat squishy?
You do have to leave your totems standing around a little longer. You can't and shouldn't replace them constantly like with Flameblast totems. In that way it's more similar to Flame totems, I suppose.

I honestly don't remember how my defenses stacked up. I aimed to never get hit, and totem taunt allowed me to do that, pretty much. High life + a little armour was all I had, but I just alched maps and went in, provided they didn't have chain. I don't even remember what level I reached, though I'm sure I posted about it here when that character died. (I should keep my characters around, huh...)

What did me in was getting to close to a pack of Perandus monsters in a boss room while the boss was still alive. The lag + damage spike was too much. I had gotten bored by then anyway, but it was still a stupid death.

Kadin

You do have to leave your totems standing around a little longer. You can't and shouldn't replace them constantly like with Flameblast totems. In that way it's more similar to Flame totems, I suppose.

I honestly don't remember how my defenses stacked up. I aimed to never get hit, and totem taunt allowed me to do that, pretty much. High life + a little armour was all I had, but I just alched maps and went in, provided they didn't have chain. I don't even remember what level I reached, though I'm sure I posted about it here when that character died. (I should keep my characters around, huh...)

What did me in was getting to close to a pack of Perandus monsters in a boss room while the boss was still alive. The lag + damage spike was too much. I had gotten bored by then anyway, but it was still a stupid death.
Well thanks for the info, I think this will be my league starter although I won't be going the SSF route like you. One of these days I'll try that, but for now the lure of having poe.trade to obtain currency and/or buy stuff is still too good to ignore. I'm still learning a lot though as I'm still in my first year of playing. I thought I was obsessed with Diablo 3 at it's peak, this game took that to a whole other level.

Does this go live Thursday or Friday in North America? I know GGG is based in NZ.

Friday August 4th, 4PM EST time.

On another note. Was messing around in standard going through my remove only tabs managed to sell my HoWA ring for 80 exalts. A ring I paid 2ex for.

Had T1 wed, int, and accuracy on it with about 70% total res. I put it up for 80ex because I didn't want to be bothered with offers. I was surprised when someone actually bought it.

Not sure why they think it's going to be easier to chill/shock late game bosses when there's no way you are going to be hitting a Guardian for 10% of its life in one hit unless you are playing a very specialize build.

I guess you can shock a boss for 5% extra damage (which is 1% of maximum efficiency) if you hit them for something that does 1/100th of their life. It's not that bad I guess, maybe if you invest in the point you can actually shock/chill Guardians somewhat reasonably.

Also Power Charges don't give Spell damage anymore? I thought that was a nice change.

They'll probably go back to the charge changes once they get everything settled with uniques (current and future) and passives. They can't give PCs spell damage AND give FCs their overall more damage back. Would be OP.

The shock change is really cool. Few things to note:

- They stated they would sprinkle in shock effectiveness into the tree which would reduce the threshold. So it'll probably be similar to the increase bleed damage on axe nodes in Marauder.

- looks like Shocked Ground is staying 20%? Which means for the builds that used it, Veruso's is less of a requirement. (Was really only during Breach league because of Esh but they got nerfed).

I'm probably going to go 2H Slayer Axe Phys Cleave/Sunder with Kaom boots and Haemophelia Gloves. Curious to see how Vuln+Punishment performs.

If it doesn't work, then Shield block Gladiator with Lioneye's -> Surrender Physical Sunder.

Kadin

Patch notes for 3.0 are live... way too much to copy/paste it all here.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1930316

DTtf2sa.png

One of the nice QoL features: "Added a feature to the Challenges tab which allows you to hide challenges you have already completed."

Some general things below.

Existing Characters and the New Content:

Characters that had previously completed The Ribbon Spool in Merciless difficulty will have automatically completed all mandatory quests in The Fall of Oriath, and have immediate access to maps. These characters will not have any of the quest rewards from the mandatory quests in Acts 5 through 10, but can receive them by talking to the questgivers. No side quests will be automatically completed, and existing characters will have to receive and complete these quests to obtain the quest rewards.

Any characters that had completed Act 4 in Normal but had not completed The Ribbon Spool in Merciless have been returned to the end of Act 4.

All characters that had completed the Deal with the Bandits quest in Act 2 Normal now have the new version of their chosen reward. All bandit rewards from Cruel and Merciless no longer exist. Players who want to change their bandit reward choice have a one-time-only option to change it by talking to Eramir and taking one of his books. These books are character-locked, so if you decide later that you don't want to change your choice, you can get rid of the book by typing /destroy. This does not give you another opportunity to choose a bandit reward, so choose carefully!

All Prophecies, Hideouts, Forsaken Masters and Labyrinth trials have been maintained and work as normal.

There is a 5% experience penalty for deaths in Acts 6 through 10, level 5 and 6 Forsaken Master mission areas, and the Cruel and Merciless Labyrinths. There is a 10% experience penalty for deaths in areas reached through the Map device, level 7 and 8 Forsaken Master mission areas, and the Endgame Labyrinth. These replace the old Cruel and Merciless experience penalties, and are only active in those specific areas. Dying in any Act 5 area (or lower) after completion of Act 5 (or higher) will not incur an experience penalty.

Helping Oak grants: 1% of Life Regenerated per second, 2% additional Physical Damage Reduction, 20% increased Physical Damage.
Helping Alira grants: 5 Mana Regenerated per second, +20% to Global Critical Strike Multiplier, +15% to all Elemental Resistances.
Helping Kraityn grants: 6% increased Attack and Cast Speed, 3% chance to Dodge Attacks, 6% increased Movement Speed.
Eramir grants 2 Passive Skill Points if you decide to kill all three.

Labyrinth Balance
Access to the Labyrinth has been changed. To access the Labyrinth the first time, you must complete the ordinary 6 prerequisite trials.
To access the Cruel Labyrinth, you must complete the Normal Labyrinth and 3 prerequisite trials, and be at least level 40.
To access the Merciless Labyrinth, you must complete the Cruel Labyrinth and another 3 prerequisite trials, and be at least level 50.
Access to the Endgame Labyrinth requires that you complete the Merciless Labyrinth and the 6 Map trials, and be at least level 60.
Simplified and shortened the layout of the Normal and Cruel Labyrinths.

Secret Passages and Argus can now only be found in the Merciless and Endgame Labyrinths.
Additional Treasure Keys can be found in special chests throughout the Labyrinth. There are two keys guaranteed to appear in every Labyrinth run.

Lab changes are excellent. I love they are reducing the chore in labs and making it more fun.

* Summoned Raging Spirits now deal approximately 15% less damage at all levels.
* The Necromancer's Commander of Darkness skill now grants 3% increased Attack and Cast Speed to you and Allies per aura (down from 5%), and 30% increased Damage for you and Allies affected by your Auras (instead of 10% increased Damage for you and Allies per aura).

The nerfs, they hurt :p Aah, I didn't even notice these during beta so it's perfectly OK.

Map boss life has been adjusted. In general, map boss life has increased significantly, and most map boss encounters within the same tier will have similar total life pools The gap between the life of tier 15 map bosses and the tier 16 Guardians is much smaller. The life of the tier 16 Guardians remains unchanged.

Ahh, so this is what the boss life buff was about. It was more like "reduce the curve" between boss tiers as opposed to a blind "buff everything".

I'm fine with this.

Dahbomb

Breath of Council rebuffed boys!

But man just about everything got hit in some way. Nerfs are gonna be real in this patch (until someone discovers the next OP stuff).

squidyj

It's important to note that things like selfcast RF and Scorching ray have nerf lines in the patch notes but still come out ahead of where they are on live right now because of favorable changes to support gems for them

Good Notes. Still sad about not that many skill buffs but with the content coming in, I understand it'd be hard to give more balance changes.

Still torn on what to take for bandits. Im thinking 2 points early on and then switch to oak when I'm level 85+. Is the respec for bandits still 20 regrets?

Also really excited for lab changes. I remember trying to full clear them when they came out and while it was fun, it was kind of disappointing when it came to rewards from the side stuff. With the changes to darkshrines and at least two more keys from side areas, it'll be alot more fun.

Rufus

I'm sorry for your loss.
T_T

It's important to note that things like selfcast RF and Scorching ray have nerf lines in the patch notes but still come out ahead of where they are on live right now because of favorable changes to support gems for them
Yea, I'm going to try it out anyway. I'll be 2H Sunder until I can make my totems invulnerable to fire damage anyway, so I can just keep doing that if RF totems turn out to be trash this patch.

Plans definitely salvaged. The guy who made this guide did the legwork:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/6r2s2u/rf_totem_nerf_with_numbers/

Quixzlizx

Is there a way to make a viable summoner without tons of currency?

SRS feels more like an attack skill than summoning. I want to see a shambling undead army.

Looks like I am just going to go Sunder this league. I haven't had anytime to do anything PoE related as my company is moving buildings and I have had to pull off a company move in a weekend.

Getting the whole company networked, wired, and all the servers moved and running was a fun endeavor.

Wallach

Self RF comes out way ahead, yeah. Surprisingly so, in my opinion. I have never played a build twice in terms of new leagues but I am really feeling like bringing back my Juggernaut RF setup. It's going to maul with the RF and life changes.

Is there a way to make a viable summoner without tons of currency?

SRS feels more like an attack skill than summoning. I want to see a shambling undead army.

Raise Spectre is viable and as I understand pretty cheap. It's a very involved build though so read a guide on it.
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Raise_Spectre

Another alternative would be a zombie build based on "The Baron" -unique, or something:
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Baron
But I have no idea how viable these "Baron" builds are in endgame.

Is there a build where I can use poison and have some summons? I'm playing as a ranger and have a poison arrow gem. Can I have some zombies/skeletons with that class?

Baliis

Is there a build where I can use poison and have some summons?

There's Severed in Sleep which let's minions poison on hit, but idk how good it is now with the poison needs. Must've been good at one point though, sold the one I got in the Turmoil race for 90c

Looking to get back into the game with 3.0 after 9 months. I guess currently popular builds are likely to lose some viability in 3.0? I really don't like playing without a build.

Is there a build where I can use poison and have some summons? I'm playing as a ranger and have a poison arrow gem. Can I have some zombies/skeletons with that class?

I suspect if you wanted to do something with minions and poison, you'd have to dedicate yourself 100% to it. Minions with no passives and improperly linked will spontaneously combust when a map boss breathes in their general direction. But with minions that have proper passives, minion base hits would be the main source of damage and poison just an afterthought.

But if you play around in Path of Building you might find something that works I guess? SRS maybe? But you'd have to find a way to auto-cast them or you'd be casting them full time.

Looking to get back into the game with 3.0 after 9 months. I guess currently popular builds are likely to lose some viability in 3.0? I really don't like playing without a build.

Depends. In 3.0 energy shield got hit hard, and double-dipping to killed. Outside that most builds should be about the same? Depends on what the popular build you are referring to is.

Depends. In 3.0 energy shield got hit hard, and double-dipping to killed. Outside that most builds should be about the same? Depends on what the popular build you are referring to is.

Thank you. Do you have a fun, viable build in mind that I could likely run in 3.0 and that's probably not affected much by the changes? I honestly prefer following builds mindlessly over experimenting myself. Playing towards a set goal is very motivating.

Thank you. Do you have a fun, viable build in mind that I could likely run in 3.0 and that's probably not affected much by the changes? I honestly prefer following builds mindlessly over experimenting myself. Playing towards a set goal is very motivating.

Do you have a preference as to what you like to play?

Caster? Melee? Summoner? Etc.

Cerity

can't wait to jump back in. Might try out wildstrike first and then a sort of bleed build - I really do want to do some sort of flee + bleed but the flee mechanics aren't there :(

Last time I played I enjoyed melee the most. I recall being a tanky melee with Earthquake as my main skill and that was a really enjoyable experience.

You'd probably enjoy a Berserker sunder character. Heavy leech, tanky and will carry you fairly deep into maps with easy gear. Search the Marauder forums for a Zerker version or Duelist for a Slayer version.

A real up-to-date-with-meta build randomiser would be a fun tool to use but I'm not sure such a thing exists unfortunately. Maybe you could maybe give parameters to it, "preferred archetype", "difficulty of play", "build cost". Would maybe even give thread links to relevant build threads.

Hm, sounds like making that would require way more game knowledge than what I have.

inky

That would be sweet.

The truth is I don't have the knowledge to come up with a good build on a keystone + main skill suggestion alone anyway. It would probably end up an unoptimized mess and I haven't really dug into the changes for 3.0. Maybe an idea will spark while reading the notes.

brian!

Hey yall
Prob gonna play this game with some ppl with the intent to only really try to get through the story. Any build recommendations?

I see that a lot of builds will have a build for leveling and then transfer into the actual build at a certain point, but iunno if ill be playing long enough that this will become applicable?

Oh and one last question, how do the bandits work in a grouped game, like can wr all cboose diff bandits to help?

I should probably check this thread more since I've been playing the game so much.

Some simple league starters off the top of my head:

- Sunder or Cleave melee w/ the Resolute Technique keystone, Duelist tree is easy to use
- Spell or Ranged Ancestral Bond Totems with pretty much skill attached
- Mind Over Matter Templar as either Spellcaster or Melee
- Spellcaster Shadow w/ either elemental spells or physical spells

Oh and one last question, how do the bandits work in a grouped game, like can wr all cboose diff bandits to help?
It forces PVP if the players disagree on a choice, I forget if the disagreeing players have to leave the area or leave the party entirety to let the others choose.

There's Severed in Sleep which let's minions poison on hit, but idk how good it is now with the poison needs. Must've been good at one point though, sold the one I got in the Turmoil race for 90c

I suspect if you wanted to do something with minions and poison, you'd have to dedicate yourself 100% to it. Minions with no passives and improperly linked will spontaneously combust when a map boss breathes in their general direction. But with minions that have proper passives, minion base hits would be the main source of damage and poison just an afterthought.

But if you play around in Path of Building you might find something that works I guess? SRS maybe? But you'd have to find a way to auto-cast them or you'd be casting them full time.

Thanks. I'll look into those. I kind of figured it would be difficult to do some kind of hybrid and not specialize

I think I might try Cyclone again after the recent changes as it sounds pretty nice.

Scorching Ray is on my radar as I haven't played a character like that yet and the trickster changes seems nice.

Frostblades also looks fun. Not sure if what ascendancy I should go. Might opt for Raider since I play softcore leagues and I am not worried about dying the speed increase from that class might make it the best option. Will probably go dual touch of anguish as I expect Dreamfeathers to be priced high thanks to the Mathil effect from last league.

Baliis

I think I might try Cyclone again after the recent changes as it sounds pretty nice.

Scorching Ray is on my radar as I haven't played a character like that yet and the trickster changes seems nice.

Frostblades also looks fun. Not sure if what ascendancy I should go. Might opt for Raider since I play softcore leagues and I am not worried about dying the speed increase from that class might make it the best option. Will probably go dual touch of anguish as I expect Dreamfeathers to be priced high thanks to the Mathil effect from last league.

I've been playing FB raider with Touch of Anguish while waiting for 3.0 since I got a couple to drop during the Turmoil race and it's super fun.

Can I just say, bless Path of Building! I think I managed to improve DPS of my 2.6 build by ~40% AND at the same time make it tankier.

Time to do another SRS/Zombie hybrid build as my league starter. This time with "The Baron" and str/life focus, as opposed to CI in 2.6. And if it doesn't work out, I think I'll try something with dark pact.

Top Bottom