• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patrick Klepek gets called out on racism, sexism, rape jokes, child rape jokes, voyeurism and more

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They can say anything they want, what I and many gamers take issue with is the hypocrisy. People who enjoy games don’t give AF about this subversive nonsense. These “toxic” issues Klepek and ilk write about are fringe issues that represent single digit populations and yet its presented by Waypoint and others as THE issue in gaming. Walker makes it clear in the NYU talk that the numbers on identity/ political issues pale in comparison to stories about new DLC for Battlefield. He is visibly black pilled by it. Gamers don’t care about this stuff.

As much as I dislike the Waypoint crew, I could care less about what they did as younger men just as I could care less about things Bushnell did in the 70’s or David Cage supposedly did last year. And I’m in the majority. Gamers do not care about this stuff. The Waypoints of the world are taking their lead from their Frankfurt school comrades by trying to meme this into importance in an attempt to subvert and divide the community.

If this isn’t true why hasn’t the entire games journalist community destroyed Klepek? Imagine they found identical images of Tim Soret?? How do you think that would of went?

Yeah I agree with most of what you said here. I care about the subversive topics, but I'd admit that I am a fringe news consuming gamer. I don't really care about what's new in the DLC dropping for Fortnight or Call of Duty.

If they do that ResetEra will launch an outrage mob against Waypoint. Klepek and his ilk can't risk account ban.

See and I think this is where gamers, in general, would care more about these stories, IF they had full conversations about these issues that happen within gaming. If they had people like Colin Moriarty on and had a good hour conversation about the David Cage situation, what CDPR tweeted in reply to that guy, and how gamers felt about how Battlefield V was first shown and the pushback it received. Gamers would LOVE those conversations if they were allowed to happen and there weren't any real limits to the convo.

But right now they would rather have these convos amongst only like-minded people and sometimes it can get boring. I agree with the foundation of what Austin says like 70% of the time, yet I've gotten to the point where I roll my eyes during the podcast because I can tell he's not being challenged enough. It's too much of a safe space. And on top of that, the Waypoint crew doesn't challenge themselves enough. I'm starting to realize how much all of this sucks, because video games are mature enough to have these conversations, yet our media isn't yet. :(

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just using the thread as a "Klepek, Walker and WP are constantly hypocritical" dump, but, aren't body pillows incredibly objectifying and misogynistic to these people? Or is it okay because white people didn't invent them? Is it okay until one of their friends tells them it isn't? I'm lost.

vAn5kY.jpg

Sygma

You even criticize WayTakuGon at all over at the other place, even with respect and grace, you are met with a ban for, "vilifying our protected class of journalism".

You're getting banned for having an opinion on the most ideological driven mainstream forum on the internet ? how odd ;)

Seriously the amount of people getting banned left and right simply because they don't express themselves perfectly is frankly concerning and I'm surprised that not a single outlet picked on that. And the audacity of calling themselves progressives.

Sorry a bit on a tangent here but yeah don't waste your time reading that board

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Just using the thread as a "Klepek, Walker and WP are constantly hypocritical" dump, but, aren't body pillows incredibly objectifying and misogynistic to these people? Or is it okay because white people didn't invent them? Is it okay until one of their friends tells them it isn't? I'm lost.

vAn5kY.jpg
It's ok because that's a male character. If it was a female it would be all icky and gross.

timberger

Some of you seem pretty obsessed with what Resetera says... or what they might say as the case may be. It's strange, because you virtually never see Neogaf mentioned on there at all. Though I guess it's probably foolish to expect better from a forum where I seem to keep seeing posts that amount to little more than "lol SJWs" or "lol fatties".

brap

Banned
Some of you seem pretty obsessed with what Resetera says... or what they might say as the case may be. It's strange, because you virtually never see Neogaf mentioned on there at all. Though I guess it's probably foolish to expect better from a forum where I seem to keep seeing posts that amount to little more than "lol SJWs" or "lol fatties".
Go back there then.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

They had a thread, it was closed real quick and told not to. They were the problem here, and are now the defacto full control there, so that is pretty much why.

It is going to be talked about for some time due to how close the relationship and cause/effect were between the two. It is the nature of it all. Not to mention it is fun to see how much they dialed it up, now they they hold the keys to their romper room.

I can't. They banned me for assuming another poster's gender :(

Oh the irony. :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7

It’s never mentioned on Reeee because what people are left on that loony bin live in fear of the overbearing mental moderators, and lets face it mentioning Gaf would probably lead to a instant “pending” length ban.

-MD-

It’s never mentioned on Reeee because what people are left on that loony bin live in fear of the overbearing mental moderators, and lets face it mentioning Gaf would probably lead to a instant “pending” length ban.

They refer to gaf as "the other forum" because yeah like you said, they're absolutely scared to death they'll get banned.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Its just a thread for some of us but since nobodies done a cringe/that is funny thread yet this will do I guess.

Nethernova

As someone who does not really keep up to date with the deeper news on the industry, i just saw this thread now and i was incredibly shocked. Patrick always came across as a holier-than-thou person who always crushed people doing exactly what he has been doing all this time. I dont believe someone like that can change so dramatically. I think they just learn how to hide it better.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As someone who does not really keep up to date with the deeper news on the industry, i just saw this thread now and i was incredibly shocked. Patrick always came across as a holier-than-thou person who always crushed people doing exactly what he has been doing all this time. I dont believe someone like that can change so dramatically. I think they just learn how to hide it better.

The only thing that changed were the targets. :pie_winking:

MayauMiao

Eventually Klepek will get eaten alive by his own echo chamber. It always happens within extreme groups.

Xenon

I think they dictate that this forum can't be mentioned. It's stickied.

Go back there then.

[laugh track]

Last edited:

Hudo

It's been a while since I visited that cesspool but as far as I know, mentioning NeoGAF is not allowed there. I've even seen people get into trouble by referring to GAF as "the old place". And I'd rather have extreme opinions and general foolishness present in a discussion than having people banned for having even a slightly different opinion. People should be educated enough to make up their own opinion and to be able to accept that there are different people out there with different points of view, with the the freedom to agree or disagree; Without resorting to vile behaviour, if the latter is the case.

It's not OK to doxx someone or start a crusade against someone on Twitter to get him/her fired. If you do that, how are you better than the person you go against? You only create new "enemies" with shit like this.

JimmyJones

Banned

I can't believe people even went to Reeeeera in the first place. Were some people really that clueless?

Keep in mind there are other forums doing the same.

*cough* Reddit! *cough*

It's strange, because you virtually never see Neogaf mentioned on there at all.

Maybe it's because they permanently ban you for FUCKING EVERYTHING?

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Maybe it's because they permanently ban you for FUCKING EVERYTHING?

Hey now, that's not fair. I only received a 3 day ban for "vilifying games journalism"

I'm happy to report that my ban did the trick and I no longer villify games journalism at Resetera. Or anything else for that matter, since I won't be posting there any more. Take your 3 day wrongthink ban and shove it up your ass lol.

Shmunter

I thought I recognised this guy. I remember him from 1up, a show I admired. I also remember seeing the following clip way back then and cringing; thinking how the hell is this part of my beloved show...

Not just a bully, a disgrace to human kind. Let’s be frank, it’s the sociopaths that climb the ladder best.

Has it been mentioned That David Jaffe is now exposing this?

Last edited:

Shmunter

Posted the wrong David Jaffe video and there seems to be a time limit on edits....

Here is the correct video...

Neogaf is brought up quite alot there actually

Last edited:
Why DID people treat rape as such a joke back then, it is strange when you think about it.

Sexual revolution in the 60s and 70s lead to sexual themes being freely and openly discussed combined with the rise of nihilism and cynicism-as-counter culture in the late 90s/early 2000s. Shock humor and taboo busting became a big deal and what's more taboo than joking about rape? Holocaust jokes were popular too. As for why kids were doing it it's mostly just pop culture exposure.
The 2000s were edgy as fuck, from 2001 to about 2008/9. It was just generally a pretty angry and pessimistic time period. But since that's when today's young adults grew up a lot of people still have a lot of nostalgia and fond memories of it.

Edit: Didn't realize this thread was a year old, my bad.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Sexual revolution in the 60s and 70s lead to sexual themes being freely and openly discussed combined with the rise of nihilism and cynicism-as-counter culture in the late 90s/early 2000s. Shock humor and taboo busting became a big deal and what's more taboo than joking about rape? Holocaust jokes were popular too. As for why kids were doing it it's mostly just pop culture exposure.
The 2000s were edgy as fuck, from 2001 to about 2008/9. It was just generally a pretty angry and pessimistic time period. But since that's when today's young adults grew up a lot of people still have a lot of nostalgia and fond memories of it.

You are fine, mate. I also have to agree and wonder how the generation that grew up in such a time, a time of edgy jokes and nonchalant attitudes with films and movies dedicated to perverse gore and nudity could turn into such fuckin' prudes. Maybe someone indoctrinated them to make them feel guilty? Or maybe these were the people who never cared for that attitude and now have a way to try and prevent it from happening?

joe_zazen

Yeah I agree with most of what you said here. I care about the subversive topics, but I'd admit that I am a fringe news consuming gamer. I don't really care about what's new in the DLC dropping for Fortnight or Call of Duty.

See and I think this is where gamers, in general, would care more about these stories, IF they had full conversations about these issues that happen within gaming. If they had people like Colin Moriarty on and had a good hour conversation about the David Cage situation, what CDPR tweeted in reply to that guy, and how gamers felt about how Battlefield V was first shown and the pushback it received. Gamers would LOVE those conversations if they were allowed to happen and there weren't any real limits to the convo.

But right now they would rather have these convos amongst only like-minded people and sometimes it can get boring. I agree with the foundation of what Austin says like 70% of the time, yet I've gotten to the point where I roll my eyes during the podcast because I can tell he's not being challenged enough. It's too much of a safe space. And on top of that, the Waypoint crew doesn't challenge themselves enough. I'm starting to realize how much all of this sucks, because video games are mature enough to have these conversations, yet our media isn't yet. :(

Old post but a good one.

American media has learned that the profitable way to be is to have a viewpoint/narrative that gets people worked up and stick to it. It is the Fox News/CNN/NYT etc model. A model that seeks genuine discourse and idea exchange isn't as profitable because the majority of consumers don't want to be exposed to ideas that actually challenge their POV, so they will gravitate to sources that don’t allow that.

Like, Alan Dershowitz was banned from CNN because of his criticism of the special council. Alan FUCKING Dershowitz! Why? Because he made the viewers uncomfortable with his well thought out opinions and the fact he is a distinguished liberal democrat. Now, you can have a republican on cnn arguing the same stuff so you can still get some sparks, but because he is republican, the viewers don't feel challenged because they all know republicans are evil liars. It is an interesting phenomena, this sport-ification of political coverage.

petran79

Banned
You are fine, mate. I also have to agree and wonder how the generation that grew up in such a time, a time of edgy jokes and nonchalant attitudes with films and movies dedicated to perverse gore and nudity could turn into such fuckin' prudes. Maybe someone indoctrinated them to make them feel guilty? Or maybe these were the people who never cared for that attitude and now have a way to try and prevent it from happening?

Even on cinemas you had movies like Irreversible and Rape Me, latter of which was banned for a while in several European countries, including production country France and also Canada. While in the US it had just a few limited screenings and was not as popular to cause nationwide controversy
Difference is that reactions came from right wing groups back then.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Even on cinemas you had movies like Irreversible and Rape Me, latter of which was banned for a while in several European countries, including production country France and also Canada. While in the US it had just a few limited screenings and was not as popular to cause nationwide controversy
Difference is that reactions came from right wing groups back then.

Yep. Now it is the left that has gotten a horse sized dildo stuck up their asses. You would think that they would see how they are literally no different from the late 90s/early 2000s Evangelical Right. Both are denying funding to science, censoring media, and trying to ruin lives all for differences in ideological opinions.

Yes, edgy attitudes and edgy humor and cynicism was what was hip back then, it's funny that the pendulum has swung in the polar opposite direction and the kind of humor which was accepted back then is exactly what would ruin lives and careers today.

I'm sure there were people at the time that hated the attitudes back then but felt like they couldn't speak up about it because it was just what was accepted and there was nothing they could really do to change it yet.

Also, every generation that comes along is reacting to the one that came before it, people get bored of the status quo, people who grew up in the 2000s surrounded by it's pessimism and edginess decided to go in the opposite direction once they grew up to the point of being able to shape culture simply to differentiate themselves from what came before.

It is hilariously ironic to contrast the 2000s with the 2010s though, it's just crazy how much things have changed.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
i've only looked at a couple of these tweets but from what i've seen i dont have a problem with it, people fuck around on their own time whatever but i have no power over anyone. where as the people in charge and have the authority, whether influence or actual status are the ones that created these puritanical rules so they sort of should get fucked by the rules they put up for everyone (including them).

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
i've only looked at a couple of these tweets but from what i've seen i dont have a problem with it, people fuck around on their own time whatever but i have no power over anyone. where as the people in charge and have the authority, whether influence or actual status are the ones that created these puritanical rules so they sort of should get fucked by the rules they put up for everyone (including them).
It's not the Tweets it's the hypocrisy.

K1Expwy

If the 2000s were angry, then what were the 2010s? I've never heard Americans scream and rage and act downright feral like I've seen during this time period (sometimes even in person, so you can't just say the Internet exaggerates things)

Top Bottom