• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patrick Klepek gets called out on racism, sexism, rape jokes, child rape jokes, voyeurism and more

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes and he would go after them like he id with pewdiepie. Like he did here. And again we are not alking like era wants to make believe about some boobies but rape and pedophilia rape jokes.

And again I would have not cared at all if he would not try over and over again to get people fired for this kind of shit. Also the fact that he deleted 50k tweets makes it even more obvious that he thinks he fucked up and tries to delete everything what could get him even more.

Now that is what I call, "ethics".

But it must be the gooblygate, it must be them! After all, he retweeted someone saying, "everything is gamergate" when it comes to stupid shit in gaming. These people are shrouded in their false holier than thou pedestal and deflect their unethical practices with "gooblygate boogeyman".

Last edited:

B_Signal

This isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I listened to the Waypoint podcast where he talks about this, and it's actually pretty good. His article on Thorn seems decent, and Thorn seems like a bellend. They go on to talk about the culture around some of the esports, it's an interesting conversation about how a niche thing has become more popular, the niche thing isn't necessarily going to change just because there's more eyes on it. I actually think more people here would have a problem with Rob than Patrick "pie_tears_joy:

Patrick, for his part, apologises and holds his hands up, doesn't try to excuse it other than to say he was an arsehole and isn't the same person. Even accepts people are going to question him from now on.

Fwiw, it's worth remembering, the difference between Pewdiepie, Roseanne, Thorn etc, is that they've been pulled up for current stuff and been criticised for it. Anyone can change, in 10 years time if people are still beating up Pewdiepie and he's changed that's unfair, if people are learning and growing holding an old mistake against them

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I listened to the Waypoint podcast where he talks about this, and it's actually pretty good. His article on Thorn seems decent, and Thorn seems like a bellend. They go on to talk about the culture around some of the esports, it's an interesting conversation about how a niche thing has become more popular, the niche thing isn't necessarily going to change just because there's more eyes on it. I actually think more people here would have a problem with Rob than Patrick "pie_tears_joy:

Patrick, for his part, apologises and holds his hands up, doesn't try to excuse it other than to say he was an arsehole and isn't the same person. Even accepts people are going to question him from now on.

Fwiw, it's worth remembering, the difference between Pewdiepie, Roseanne, Thorn etc, is that they've been pulled up for current stuff and been criticised for it. Anyone can change, in 10 years time if people are still beating up Pewdiepie and he's changed that's unfair, if people are learning and growing holding an old mistake against them

Who sets the timeframe and the rules?

Is there a code of ethics these people who clearly displayed they do not follow, have a constitution of the timeframe people are alloted to change. Is it 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years? Wait, is it 10 years before they are off limits of trying to get someone fired and ruin their livelihood?

That is the problem with people who pretend to have a moral authority... they set and change the "rules" constantly as they see fit.

Do not be daft to his response. If he felt like he is so humble to own up to his past, that sniveling little fraud would not have deleted 50K and try to scrub his history before mounting his campaigns.

Which going by the site owner himself below, seems to be an unethical pattern for him.

There was an industry leak by one of Patrick's friends/associates, on NeoGAF, by the friend/associate. Being it happened on NeoGAF, obviously the press picked up on it, and after it became a major story and the person's job was in jeopardy for leaking the info, Patrick PMed me asking if all the evidence could be deleted.

I refused, since it was already disseminated everywhere and served no practical purpose anymore to delete it from NeoGAF specifically. Despite asking ahead of time, he hard deleted all the related posts he could find from the database, and I kicked him out for it.

Probably some kind of breach of """""ethics""""" on his part since afaik he was a games journalist at the time. I can probably produce the associated PMs from when I fired him if this is some kind of actual relevant story. I didn't really hold it against him personally since it was about loyalty to an alleged friend and I respected that but the conflict of interest was intense and highly inappropriate.

Last edited:

bilderberg

Leftist SJW turns out to be a total hypocrite, shocking. The parallels between these people and 90&00's era Republican's in the closet is quite striking. It's always the people who clamp down the hardest on their values the one's who end up breaking them. They just project their own insecurities as if everyone else is secretly harboring them as well. Truthfully, I could care less what kind of jokes Klepek made. But he brought this vilification culture onto himself.

B_Signal

Is there a code of ethics these people who clearly displayed they do not follow, have a constitution of the timeframe people are alloted to change. Is it 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years? Wait, is it 10 years?

That is the problem with people who pretend to have a moral authority... they set and change the "rules" constnatly as they see fit.

Do not be daft at all, if he felt like he is so humble to own up to it, that sniveling little fraud would not have deleted 50K and try to scrub his history before mounting his campaigns.

Which going by the sire owner himself below, seems to be a pattern for him.
Do you really need an actual number? If you believe someone is actually contrite then that's more important I'd have thought. What they said/did is probably a factor, but I'm not going to brand someone their entire life if they clearly aren't that thing any more

Dunki

Did he also say why he deleted 50k tweets afterwards? And tried to hide the rest?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Do you really need an actual number? If you believe someone is actually contrite then that's more important I'd have thought. What they said/did is probably a factor, but I'm not going to brand someone their entire life if they clearly aren't that thing any more

And guess what, neither should they when they mount harassment campaigns in attempts to get someone fired. That is far worse than people laughing and calling them hypocrites on some message board. They did not change who they were, they just evolved from "edgelords" to actual people causing harm to other's ("sjwlords" stolen from PSYGN PSYGN ) over words they themselves have done in the past; NOT AFFORDING THEM the same chance to be open to change.

If these types were around back when they themselves were doing this shit (and the "rules" were the same), they would not even be working in the industry today. That is where the lack of self reflecting hypocrisy comes into play here.

Last edited:
Patrick, for his part, apologises and holds his hands up, doesn't try to excuse it other than to say he was an arsehole and isn't the same person.
That is a totally acceptable response in my book. However, if he acknowledges people can change, and that people should be forgiven for their past mistakes, why is he snooping around looking for evidence of other people's past mistakes himself?

Maybe he should be a bit more humble seeing what his origins and story are like. Maybe he should be more understanding of the people he thinks are wrong. Maybe he should also explain why he lied about his background and tried to hide it so no one would find it.

In short: Why is he such a hypocrite?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Let's not forget that it's important to empathize with others. Imagine the stress all these journos are experiencing while fervently deleting all their old post/tweet history. Purging the poltergeists from deep within their digital souls. Hands shaking, palms sweaty, seeing mother teresa in the spaghetti. Swelling adrenaline with heightened awareness. "Should I go through my lifetime of precious and industry-leading tweets and posts, or delete all 50,000 in one shot?!?" *heavy Darth Vader-like breathing and cronching of Xanax ensues*

PtM

Banned
Everyone thinking of participating in an internet pile on should read Jon Ronson's So You've Been Publicly Shamed. The incentives on Twitter favor hot takes, muck raking and witch hunting which then bubbles up into online journalism because journalists, bloggers, commentators are all on Twitter and other forums where attention/clicks follows a familiar pattern. A thread like this is just contributing to this behavior by turning it into a polarized tribalism that rewards sniping at out group members to reinforce in group status. One of the take aways from Ronson's book is if you don't have anything constructive to add to a controversy you're just contributing to an online mob forming around recreational outrage.
Recreational outrage, gotta remember that one.

B_Signal

D Dunki not that I heard. It's possible I missed it but I don't think he mentioned it

And guess what, neither should they when they mount harassment campaigns in attempts to get someone fired. That is far worse than people laughing and calling them hypocrites on some message board. They did not change who they were, they just evolved from "edgelords" to actual people causing harm to other's ("sjwlords" stolen from PSYGN PSYGN ) over words they themselves have done in the past; NOT AFFORDING THEM the same chance to be open to change.

If these types were around back when they themselves were doing this shit (and the "rules" were the same), they would not even be working in the industry today. That is where the lack of self reflecting hypocrisy comes into play here.

tbh, I have no problem with someone asking "do you know this person who's commentating is saying racist stuff about competitors?", same way I had no problem with Ron Atkinson (old football commentator) getting fired for saying something racist about a player. You're representing an audience, that audience is going to be mixed, they shouldn't feel like you're making a statement about them. That doesn't mean I think big Ron is a die hard racist, but there's consequences for your actions, as Klepek is learning "pie_tears_joy:

InterMusketeer InterMusketeer Rob who's hosting it, while Patrick is apologising, says Klepek has never hidden that he used to be a tit. It sounds like a few people in here knew he was like that in his 1up days (I didn't know him until GB and I don't listen to Waypoint all that often)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Let's not forget that it's important to empathize with others. Imagine the stress all these journos are experiencing while fervently deleting all their old post/tweet history. Purging the poltergeists from deep within their digital souls. Hands shaking, palms sweaty, seeing mother teresa in the spaghetti. Swelling adrenaline with heightened awareness. "Should I go through my lifetime of precious and industry-leading tweets and posts, or delete all 50,000 in one shot?!?" *heavy Darth Vader-like breathing and cronching of Xanax ensues*

Nice, lol.

InterMusketeer InterMusketeer Rob who's hosting it, while Patrick is apologising, says Klepek has never hidden that he used to be a tit. It sounds like a few people in here knew he was like that in his 1up days (I didn't know him until GB and I don't listen to Waypoint all that often)
Then why did he delete all those tweets and the flickr account after it was discovered?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Everyone thinking of participating in an internet pile on should read Jon Ronson's So You've Been Publicly Shamed. The incentives on Twitter favor hot takes, muck raking and witch hunting which then bubbles up into online journalism because journalists, bloggers, commentators are all on Twitter and other forums where attention/clicks follows a familiar pattern. A thread like this is just contributing to this behavior by turning it into a polarized tribalism that rewards sniping at out group members to reinforce in group status. One of the take aways from Ronson's book is if you don't have anything constructive to add to a controversy you're just contributing to an online mob forming around recreational outrage.

I am definitely going to give this a look, thank you.

B_Signal

Then why did he delete all those tweets and the flickr account after it was discovered?

I've no idea, ask him. I will say though, even if it is as simple as he knew he'd said shitty stuff and didn't want it dragging up, that's fine isn't it? I don't walk around with a billboard of every stupid thing I've said on, it doesn't mean I'm not aware that I've been an arsehole at times in my life

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've no idea, ask him. I will say though, even if it is as simple as he knew he'd said shitty stuff and didn't want it dragging up, that's fine isn't it? I don't walk around with a billboard of every stupid thing I've said on, it doesn't mean I'm not aware that I've been an arsehole at times in my life

Do you go digging into other people's past tweet history for "gotchas" after sitting on a pedestal trying to hide your own, tweeting it all to your mobilized mobs of followers, knowing you were like that at one time too?

Or...

Do you understand that you were once like that, and were supposedly capable of change thus opening up discourse with the person directly in private in attempts to educate (and get the whole story like a good investigative journalist does) which would also be the noble and ethical thing to do?

From their actions, they seemed to not change, only their posting habits did. They are just as every bit the petty and edgy characters they were before, but now instead of snarky and immature joke posts, they evolved the game in an attempt to rip someone's livelihood down. Even more so with their political tribal ideologies shaping their very being since they only seem to attack one side, and ignore the stink in their own dogmatic parties.

Last edited:
He could've deleted that stuff for any reason. I won't blame him for removing some of the stuff he's not too proud of, or that he doesn't want to be public anymore.

In my mind though, it's a bit hypocritical (again) to try to dig up dirt on other people if he doesn't want others to do the same to him.

The goal for me isn't that I want Klepek to be punished or anything (though that would be consistent with how people were bullied from the internet and the industry before) I just want him to take a good long look at himself and his behaviour and for him to practice what he preaches, and that he's understanding and forgiving of others, as others have been to him.

Damage control.

Everyone's first reaction when these things suddenly come out is to scrub it so more doesn't get held against them, and so they can get in control of an out of control shock situation. This is an automatic reaction.

But yes, if you dig up dirt on others, expect it to be done to you. All is fair game. What goes around comes around regardless of whether it is right or wrong. That said, his stuff to me is average.

Last edited by a moderator:

B_Signal

He could've deleted that stuff for any reason. I won't blame him for removing some of the stuff he's not too proud of, or that he doesn't want to be public anymore.

In my mind though, it's a bit hypocritical (again) to try to dig up dirt on other people if he doesn't want others to do the same to him.

The goal for me isn't that I want Klepek to be punished or anything (though that would be consistent with how people were bullied from the internet and the industry before) I just want him to take a good long look at himself and his behaviour and for him to practice what he preaches, and that he's understanding and forgiving of others, as others have been to him.

yeah, I don't really disagree with this. Whether or not he's been hypocritical, and if he has if he's aware of it, it definitely doesn't look great. This is going to follow him around and is going to be the response to him whenever he criticises anyone now, to some extent he's brought it on himself, even if I'm not sure he's wrong to criticise other people, at least he's aware now of the damage this stuff can do

It's a fantastic book, and, in general, I'm a huge fan of Jon Ronson's work. The Justine Sacco incident was a pretty sad indictment on the effects of social media on otherwise normal people, turning them into mobs of morons who almost willfully misinterpreted a satricical tweet and destroyed her life for a good year or two after. So, yeah, I can't get on board with the kind of fervor that these type of incidents produce. It's not healthy or normal. The way people talk to each other on social media blows my mind.

It's a fantastic book, and, in general, I'm a huge fan of Jon Ronson's work. The Justine Sacco incident was a pretty sad indictment on the effects of social media on otherwise normal people, turning them into mobs of morons who almost willfully misinterpreted a satricical tweet and destroyed her life for a good year or two after. So, yeah, I can't get on board with the kind of fervor that these type of incidents produce. It's not healthy or normal. The way people talk to each other on social media blows my mind.

Hmm, I'll give it a look.

SonGoku

If only people like Patrick thought this way, if only...

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I am so very tired of Twitter outrage mobs digging up social media dirt & then trying to get people fired over it. That being said it looks like that is exactly what Klepek was doing to someone else when his own dirt surfaced. It's hard to have much sympathy for him.

Why is it that those who furiously virtue-signal from on high frequently turn out to be the worst degenerate slimeballs?

bitbydeath

yeah, I don't really disagree with this. Whether or not he's been hypocritical, and if he has if he's aware of it, it definitely doesn't look great. This is going to follow him around and is going to be the response to him whenever he criticises anyone now, to some extent he's brought it on himself, even if I'm not sure he's wrong to criticise other people, at least he's aware now of the damage this stuff can do

He’s actively trying to ruin other people’s lives. Let’s not overlook that.

Ogbert

I do appreciate those who are tired of all this nonsense.

That said, you’d have to have a heart of stone not to laugh at this little twerp getting a taste of his own medicine.

Delicious.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
maybe a silly point of view i am thinking of here.
but he was a lot younger and dumber when he made these tweets.
i know what he did to other people might make this look like karma but at the end of the day you dont want sink as low as some of these loons online and dig to someones twitter past and blame them

Domisto

I am definitely going to give this a look, thank you.

If you want a primer on Ronson and his books check out this interview. Public shaming stuff starts around 38 mins but the whole thing is interesting and funny. Conspiracy theories, Alex Jones, Aryan Nation, Psychic military.

oagboghi2

Why should I believe he has "learned and grown" over the years? He is actively trying to do this same thing to someone else.

Kenpachii

maybe a silly point of view i am thinking of here.
but he was a lot younger and dumber when he made these tweets.
i know what he did to other people might make this look like karma but at the end of the day you dont want sink as low as some of these loons online and dig to someones twitter past and blame them

Sorry but i never made those jokes when i was a kid, and let alone post it on the internet to brag about it.

The fact that this loon goes out of his way to make other people's life a nightmare by getting them fired says enough about his extremist attitude, the fact he deletes everything he got because he knows he has a dark past proofs it even more that he knows he's in the wrong.

He even proofs that in the dam podcast so he's a massive hypocrite with that and a extremist.

Then he goes further and shits on white people which makes him also a racist.

What a clown.

He seems to also make money with this kind of extremist behavior directly or indirectly which honestly anybody effected by this clown in any financial way should pull this clown in front of court for harassment.

If this wasn't involving himself, he would most likely actively harass "himself" in order to get him fired everywhere and not take a step back and think on what he's doing.

It's one thing to be toxic, its a second thing to actually actively go out of your way to execute actual motions that effect people life just so you can sleep at night better even while most of those people have nothing to zero relationship with this clown just to score extremist points on those shitty websites he visits and gets known in public for his high moral stands on shitting on people.

He probably just pissed of the wrong person now,.

Last edited:
In saying that, I flicked through the thread hoping to see something outrageous and haven’t seen much. Am I missing it? The pictures of females breasts and arse are important, because it proves he is a hypocritical douche. The “hate crime” one is weird. The bad attempt at a joke by humping the kiddy sign is another example of his hypocrisy. Going by his own “standards” these are enough, but they’ll be easily hand-waved away by his supporters.

Other than that, I just see a weird looking, skinny, pimply faced nerd that likes to take his top off for some reason and seems to think he is much better looking than he actually is...

That's literally all it is.

I honestly dislike the dude; he was the only member of the old 1UP crew that I thought was total trash IMHO (the rest were brilliant). But after seeing those pics and wanting to vilify the guy... I just can't; I've seen much, much worse from my peers in college photos (and in person). And hell, I've seen, much, MUCH "worse" in my overseas travels.

In this environment, the average white, male, conservative would be fired, hanged and then drawn and quartered. But for him, as a "self proclaimed progressive", this will just quietly slip by and will be ignored by the gaming media because he's one of "them".

But as a staunch conservative and as someone who dislikes his persona (that I've viewed and read online passively for the last ten years); I'm not willing (yet) to hang him for this, even though I'd very much like to. I just don't find him guilty of anything other than being a normal stupid young person.

Kids should be allowed to be kids, even in the age of Big Brother (IMO).

...Buut where there's smoke, there's fire. His deletion of 50k tweets says all we need to know really. His adult transgressions are impossible to judge though because they no longer exist (for now). I personally need more evidence before I completely dismiss a member of my kind, even if I dislike him.

Last edited:

camelCase

Ppl are mad about this? Dude, it's fucking hijinks. I always hated Klepeks guts, ever since he started on 1UP yours as an all-too-good fit for their oddly pretentious game industry wank circle. (still love the show) But this is petty. It's like attacking someone for drunk photos you found on their facebook. Dirty snitches. Dirty little rats, ye who made a fuss about this. SNITCH.

Michele

you.
Oh my...This sounds like a very serious issue.
I think I've known him on Twitter for a year or two, following him. I knew that in the past he has tried to do a crime collaboration, only for it to fail with the leader being in trouble.

But this...This...is another level. He is being accused of racism, but he doesn't seem to reply to that, as evidenced. I mean, I didn't see him trying to counter, but it's quite possible he might have deleted them or just outright ignored them.

And now, EviLore EviLore is now saying he used to be a mod/admin here. There are so many questions now. Like, why did he decide to join this forum? What dedication did he have? Did he believe him, during that October 2017 scandal? And most importantly, what about the emails by Jason, who should be the one being exposed, will they be revealed publically?

The plot really thickens...Of course, the believing question is the most important part, because as our reputation improves, there's a chance that he might come back. But as of right now...Just no. Not possible.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sorry but i never made those jokes when i was a kid, and let alone post it on the internet to brag about it.

The fact that this loon goes out of his way to make other people's life a nightmare by getting them fired says enough about his extremist attitude, the fact he deletes everything he got because he knows he has a dark past proofs it even more that he knows he's in the wrong.

He even proofs that in the dam podcast so he's a massive hypocrite with that and a extremist.

Then he goes further and shits on white people which makes him also a racist.

What a clown.

He seems to also make money with this kind of extremist behavior directly or indirectly which honestly anybody effected by this clown in any financial way should pull this clown in front of court for harassment.

If this wasn't involving himself, he would most likely actively harass "himself" in order to get him fired everywhere and not take a step back and think on what he's doing.

It's one thing to be toxic, its a second thing to actually actively go out of your way to execute actual motions that effect people life just so you can sleep at night better even while most of those people have nothing to zero relationship with this clown just to score extremist points on those shitty websites he visits and gets known in public for his high moral stands on shitting on people.

He probably just pissed of the wrong person now,.

/thread.

On and...

dk5wjyox0aawbwl-jpg.522049

David Jaffe about to have an opinion on his stream.

Ppl are mad about this? Dude, it's fucking hijinks. I always hated Klepeks guts, ever since he started on 1UP yours as an all-too-good fit for their oddly pretentious game industry wank circle. (still love the show) But this is petty. It's like attacking someone for drunk photos you found on their facebook. Dirty snitches. Dirty little rats, ye who made a fuss about this. SNITCH.

I think you need to read why people are now doing this, and it is in the very post above yours. He actively goes after people to get them fired for this very same shit. Eventually people get fed up.

Last edited:
I think if you're trying to get someone fired from their job because they have a different opinion than you, than the vast majority of the time you're probably a much worse person than they are. Because chances are if what they said or did was so unforgivable by most of society, and everyone already agrees with you, then they'd already be gone.

Then again, I haven't looked into the specifics of what the guy Patrick went after is accused of, so I'm not defending the guy here either. I'm just sick of people trying to get others fired.

David Jaffe about to have an opinion on his stream.

The full video is up now:

It's the first story he covers. Before it starts, someone in the chat convinces Jaffe that it's Patrick Klee-Peck, so he spends the video constantly mispronouncing Patrick's last name. The best part of the video is when Jaffe scrolls through THIS NeoGAF thread, to find the "birthday card" picture.

Last edited:

Sapiens

You'd think an old timer like the Kleptster would be working for MS or sony by this point - looks like he'll be stuck in the pitts of the business for a while now.

David is right about letting him grow out of it but that same ideal should be applied to everyone and Patrick especially has no right to target anyone, given the evidence is just as bad if not worse in his case.

Yep. Like the old saying goes, people who live in stone houses shouldn't wear sunglasses.

Last edited:
This is of stuff when he was in college? And he's getting called out now for it?!!
Yeah, because he's a fence-walker. He thinks James Gunn is able to be forgiven for his stupid tweets, but everyone else should be scrutinized for what they say. Radio silence from that guy. Outside of a few retweets and talking about the show Lost, he just deleted shit. Not even a post, but he addressed it on the shitty podcast. ResetERA barely mentioned it in their Giant Bomb OT thread.

Is there a code of ethics these people who clearly displayed they do not follow, have a constitution of the timeframe people are alloted to change. Is it 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years? Wait, is it 10 years before they are off limits of trying to get someone fired and ruin their livelihood?

That is the problem with people who pretend to have a moral authority... they set and change the "rules" constantly as they see fit.

Do not be daft to his response. If he felt like he is so humble to own up to his past, that sniveling little fraud would not have deleted 50K and try to scrub his history before mounting his campaigns.

Which going by the site owner himself below, seems to be an unethical pattern for him.

The "rules" really aren't terribly complicated or disagreeable. The issue isn't whether or not somebody has done something shitty at some point in their lives. Everybody does something shitty sooner or later. The issue is how a person responds to that shitty thing with retrospect or after being called out on it.

Patrick Klepek did shitty things in undergrad. He admits to it, he knows it was shitty, and he doesn't try to defend it. He moved on with is life and stopped doing that shit. He DIDN'T double down on that shit. He didn't keep doing it. That's what makes this different than Thorn. Thorn, at best, craps out half-baked "apologies" which aren't actually apologies, and are naturally insincere because he keeps doing it.

Also, sorry if this gets excessively political and snide, but to actively declare yourself an Alex Jones fan in 2018 almost automatically makes you a trash human being.

Top Bottom