• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patrick Klepek: Sony possibly looking at increasing Neo specs due to Scorpio

icespide

Banned
sony shaking in their pants at the thought of scorpio

power is literally the only thing that made the PS4 a success

DieH@rd

Banned
I just want it to come out this year, even if it uses "base" Neo configuration we heard from before. Even that spec is a good one IMO. $400€ is also a sweet point, I would like them to hit that.

No. Really wide array of events made PS4 into a success, including very good relationship between Sony and their consumers.

Proelite

Overclocking the GPU by 33% seems like an impossibility. The machine would melt and/or the fan would spin so loudly the PS4 would literally take off. At this point I think an overclock would be all they could do though. But probably not by 33%. :p

This was before RX 480 was released and showed how much of a disappoint the Polaris architecture was.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Like they did for the One? How much time did they have to up the specs on that?

I believe that the only thing that matters is the selling price.

Huh? How are those situations the same? Sony and Microsoft both announced and released around the same time back in 2013 and space were rumoured not long before that.

In this instance, Microsoft has flat out given a figure and Sony will be RELEASING their console up to a year or more earlier. Microsoft will have close to a full year to make any adjustments, even if they're minor ones.

Layden becomes Sony CEO, Major Nelson is killed, Spencer kills Layden in retaliation ... video game console arms race ... Armageddon. End of the world. Inevitable.

Grinchy

Banned
What's the alternative, exactly? Intel? Not a chance. Sony's only choice, like Microsoft's is to use a AMD APU as Puma still isn't ready to go in this configuration and Zen is months out. This leaves Jaguar as the only possibility.

I guess they didn't have to release the new iterative console now. They could have waited until next year like MS. I do wonder why they were so gung ho about pushing it out now. Maybe it really does have to do with VR.

AzerPhire

If the Neo is launching this fall what games will it launch with that will showcase its power and justify its existence to consumers? I see Horizons as the true Neo launch title.

AlucardGV

Banned

no it wasn't. it was only the 8gb gddr5 meme and because it was 100$ cheaper. power wasn't even a factor at launch
also the MS suicide

Theonik

Call me dumb, call me insane, but wouldn't a dedicated GPU give better performance than these SoC chips?
Yes and no. The SoCs have the benefit of decreased latency potentially that can improve performance and makes developer life easier. They are also cheaper than 2 parts that might mean you get a better part for the same money.

The disadvantage is you are sharing potential die space and TDP with both the CPU and GPU which limits what power can be crammed inside those boxes. Though, no-one is looking at going back to PS360 era expensive systems, so it's not like you'd get a huge CPU and GPU in those machines spared no expense.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Icespide is being facteious

The reveal on September 7th is absolutely happening

Yeah? But the rumors of Patrick were not the ones who confirmed the rumor of September launch, which was the french site. So why should i put them in the same category

Yeah? But the rumors of Patrick were not the ones who confirmed the rumor of September launch, which was the french site. So why should i put them in the same category

Patrick and Austin both confirm in this Periscope its on the 7th and say outright they have multiple sources confirming it. The info was floating around for a while but they didn't publish because they wanted 100% confirmation which they now have. The French site just beat them to the punch

Edit wait you though it was launching September 7th? That's just the reveal

Kayant

Not that they should imo because they have a 1 yr or so headstart against Scorpio and even if MS gain back marketshare in the US/UK I think PS4 Neo will still be ahead. Although I guess it could be their plans for next gen are late and not wanting to give up the "most powerful" console marketing could as make them worried.
Call me dumb, call me insane, but wouldn't a dedicated GPU give better performance than these SoC chips?
They could in theory but at the cost of increased power amount other things.They could also go for a bigger die to allow for a bigger GPU.

Drencrom

Do people really believe this? It was definitely one of several factors why the PS4 became a bigger success than XB1, but it's far from being the only reason or even the most important factor either.

Edit: Joke post? Baah.

Guymelef

Icespide is being facteious

What rumours about September launch? Gameblog said September event, not launch.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
They can bump up the clocks and the GDDR5 bandwidth by 5-10%. The problem is that Polaris is a pretty big flop perf/watt wise, so they'll be getting into diminishing returns territory really soon. I am expecting something like 4.8 to 5.0 teraflops total SOC power in the end so they can claim nearly 5 teraflops, which doesn't sound so bad as 4 v 6.
Pretty much the highest I could see it feasibly getting to without a major design change is a 2.4Ghz jaguar, ~250 Gb/s RAM bandwidth, and 5.1 Tflops GPU

ethomaz

Banned
Seems like some guys still believe in 2017 release :D

To be fair I think most bump will be about RAM size and not GPU/CPU performance.

BTW Oct-Nov launch... I'm ready.

vpance

I guess they didn't have to release the new iterative console now. They could have waited until next year like MS. I do wonder why they were so gung ho about pushing it out now. Maybe it really does have to do with VR.

Nah, it's just about making more money and hitting their 20M target. And they need it out before next fiscal year.

Alebrije

The competition is launching a machine that will most assuredly have a totally different architecture, which makes the next Xbox less of an update, and more of a new generation in disguise.

Yep MS just jumped to a new generation while Sony update and Nintendo is fishing on blue oceans

Oersted

That is just crazy rewriting of history. Price, power, first party and MS own goal with the DRM plan (which Sony took advantage of) were all factors.

Even at 6TF, neither system can do 4K effectively with current visuals. The gap is also only as wide as it was between X1 and PS4 only neither system will have huge bottlenecks this time. Or at least shouldn't.

CPU will still be massive bottleneck if it is still Jaguar.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
CPU will still be massive bottleneck if it is still Jaguar.
There's still a lot that can be done on the GPU side without even touching the CPU, especially since Sony wants devs to chase 4K of some type on this machine. Neo will just have the same framerate targets as the standard PS4.

Tagyhag

Stronger CPU please. We'll see how it goes. I just want 60fps in all games that's all.

Also, not all Scorpio games will be at 4K. And if they are, they won't be running maxed.

Look at nvidia 1080 benchmarks and assume what the Scorpio will have to be packing.

Quotient

Did I say something controversial?

We have no idea what price scropio will sell at - are MS willing to sell a 4k gaming machine for $599?

Also all we got was a high level spec list, with no dev kits in developers hands, their is no certainty that those will be the final specs.

So we have no idea if Sony has or has not painted themselves in a corner.

Even if Neo ships with the original 4.2 TF, I'll be happy. That's still a huge increase over the vanilla PS4. I don't own a 4K TV, I'm interested in Neo because I want better graphics and framerates at 1080p.

That being said, if they can get it closer in power to Scorpio then that's great. But it's not a dealbreaker to me if they don't.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
6TF seems awfully low in late 2017.
Fixed for greater accuracy and I agree. 6TF for a close console environment in late 2017 is actually not impressive at all. Few of us have been saying this since the official spec reveal.

icespide

Banned
Stronger CPU please. We'll see how it goes. I just want 60fps in all games that's all.

Also, not all Scorpio games will be at 4K. And if they are, they won't be running maxed.

Look at nvidia 1080 benchmarks and assume what the Scorpio will have to be packing.

will never happen no matter how strong these consoles are

Arklite

They have to know that any change this late would be negligible at best, especially if they're also confirming the September release. Pointless to even mention.

Top Bottom