• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Ryan, US's Highest Ranking Elected GOPer, Says He Cannot Support Trump For Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

“They must reject any group or cause that is built on bigotry. This party does not prey on people’s prejudices. We appeal to their highest ideals. This is the party of Lincoln.”

LOOOOOL Don't tell that to your voters.

Paul Ryan, Speaker of the House, doesn't support the candidate for his own party and doesn't even want to talk about the election at all. Wow.

studyguy

I'm discovering that there is a split among the "Never Trump" GOP that is totally baffling. There are the people who reject his bigotry and then there are those who believe he is not conservative enough or not a "true conservative." The latter do not mention his bigotry at all and are presumably okay with it.

The republican electorate never wanted a TRUE CONSERVATIVE™, that narrative was burned to the ground when Trump started dominating.

platocplx

I hate that "Party of Lincoln" card Ryan always pulls. Back in Lincoln's era, the Republicans were all like modern Democrats (And vice versa) until some bipartisan buffoonery led to the 2 parties seeking the others' demographics.

But I digress. I still find it hilarious that Ryan was basically strong-armed into the Speaker position despite wanting out of the game, and then the 2016 election happens.

made a deal with the devil and dixiecrats in the 60s and have been shit ever since taking on their shitty beliefs.

before the 60s no one in this country could even tell a huge difference between the two parties. Its pretty incredible how the civil rights era has been the catalyst to this.

Americas fabric has a huge race problem and we all need to have candid conversations about it to even acknowledge its existence.

First, stop invoking Lincolns name. God it's an insult to him.

Second...Trump is destroying the party from the inside out. What's the chances that an a last ditch attempt to stop Trump, they reverse their stances on alot of bigoted shit that they have?

It's fun watching Republicans dance around the real reasons they don't want Trump - even though he's their only shot at the presidency.

They'd all rather have an establishment figure like Clinton than some unpredictable outsider who's gonna spoil their little party, yet no one can come out and say that.

Almost everyone in Washington is going to be a Clinton supporter this year. Is Trump even going to be able to find a VP.

Does it really matter who Paul Ryan publicly supports?

Trump and his looney toons are going to run right over all of them. Paul Ryan might get beat up by Trump supporters at the very convention he'll be presiding over.

studyguy

Trump and his looney toons are going to run right over all of them. Paul Ryan might get beat up by Trump supporters at the very convention he'll be presiding over.

It doesn't but it also serves to shore up the fort for when the inevitable tide of losses during the general start to fall at their feet. Ryan and crew will be shrugging saying I didn't do this shit, you did see! Now follow us! Come November.

It does matter. Speaker is 3rd in line from presidency and holds possibly the most powerful office after the president.

Boehner is the smartest mofo in GOP.

flyover

They'll all fall in line and say they'll reluctantly vote for Trump -- after "getting some assurances from him" -- because he's better than the alternative. It's already started with some other Republicans. Only way this doesn't happen is if they realize he's killing their chances down-ticket.

He's also the chair at the nominating convention. I'd argue it does mean something.

kswiston

The party of Fremont!

1280px-1856-Republican-party-Fremont-isms-caricature.jpg

Change the priest to a Muslim Cleric, the free love lady to a member of the LGBT community, and update the things that dude wants to be capitol offenses (gun ownership, red meat, and V8 engines), and that cartoon would fit in well with the shit extreme right wing websites would post (just directed at the other party).

PBY

Banned
Matt KatzVerified account
‏@mattkatz00
new: @ChrisChristie says he's going to reach out to @SpeakerRyan to find out "what his concerns are" about endorsing @realDonaldTrump

They are going to lose, but unless Hillary fucks up or the economy crashes. They won't want to be anywhere near this crater Trump has created. It's basically folding the next election and a lot of seats in the Senate/House for the better part of a decade.

They can potentially rebound in 2024 if Ryan builds himself up.

Honestly, there is a very real possibility that Trump wins this election. I say this as a Democrat. You and many others need to take Trump as a serious threat before we lose this election just like all the other Republican candidates did, IMO.

Basically, to claim that the Democrats have the next two or even three election cycles wrapped up is incredibly naive.

You can't pray on people's fear.

I guess if you pass restrictive voting policies aimed at minorities and support the policies that target them in MASSIVE disproportion and heard them into Prison and object to laws forcing equal pay and blurs the line between financial and racial separation then your voters have nothing left to fear?

HylianTom

Banned

He probably won't move the needle much by himself, but little things like this can build-up to create a national mood where it's okay to not line-up behind Trump if you're a normally-loyal Republican. Voters will feel better about themselves and their decision. If this collectively moves the needle, it could prove decisive in a close race.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I really wish republicans would stop calling themselves the party of Lincoln. You aren't and you know it. It is a blatant lie to say so.

Rajack

I am having so much fun watching the Republican party rip itself apart over Trump. The only way this could get better is if you compiled every piece of video of this slow motion trainwreck and set it to the Benny Hill Theme.

‏@mattkatz00
new: @ChrisChristie says he's going to reach out to @SpeakerRyan to find out "what his concerns are" about endorsing @realDonaldTrump

ahaha because he's the right guy to smooth things over

kswiston

I really wish republicans would stop calling themselves the party of Lincoln. You aren't and you know it. It is a blatant lie to say so.

Party of Lincoln, but they fought to try and keep the confederate flag in a number of public buildings.

Honestly, there is a very real possibility that Trump wins this election. I say this as a Democrat. You and many others need to take Trump as a serious threat before we lose this election just like all the other Republican candidates did, IMO.

Basically, to claim that the Democrats have the next two or even three election cycles wrapped up is incredibly naive.
We should take him seriously, but it would take a miracle for him to win.

‏@mattkatz00

Y'know

Christ Christie was smart to side with Trump from the beginning. That is, he never burned a bridge like Rubio or Jeb and he's probably one of Trumps favorites.

It's true.

First, people assumed he would flare out before the primaries started. Then they wondered if he would even win a primary or caucus. Then it was whether he could break 40% in voting, and win in a smaller field. Then it became whether or not he could crack 1237 delegates, and whether he could manage a contested convention if he didn't. In the end, none of that mattered, because he crushed it in state after state and drove all of his rivals out of the race entirely.

On paper, he would make a terrible general election candidate. But he also should've been an atrocious Republican primary candidate. He has supported and given money to the Clintons and other Democrats for years; supported abortion rights and even praised Planned Parenthood during a debate; shrugged off the whole transgender bathroom debate; attacked Bush outright for the Iraq debacle; and even offered support for the healthcare mandate before backtracking. Plus his bigotry flies right in the face of the Republican post-mortem after Romney lost, which emphasized bringing more people into the party.

If conventional wisdom held this year, he shouldn't have won a single primary. Instead, he's going to win the nomination on the first ballot after driving out a dozen other contenders.

On top of that, Hilary isn't exactly a flawless candidate either. The only reason her shitty approval ratings aren't a big story is because of how much more odious Trump is--and there is deep disdain for her across the political spectrum. Given that even Trump himself was surprised at how quickly he's sewn things up, I'm really starting to worry now.

I'll believe all of these nay saying republicans when the GE rolls around. Going by every previous elections no matter how much people of a certain party complain about the nominee they still end up supporting them in the end.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
We should take him seriously, but it would take a miracle for him to win.

Seriously,

Even under a favorable Trump scenario, he must win two of Florida, Virginia or Michigan.

I'm not seeing that happening.

mclem

I hate that "Party of Lincoln" card Ryan always pulls. Back in Lincoln's era, the Republicans were all like modern Democrats (And vice versa) until some bipartisan buffoonery led to the 2 parties seeking the others' demographics.

POLINO.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm discovering that there is a split among the "Never Trump" GOP that is totally baffling. There are the people who reject his bigotry and then there are those who believe he is not conservative enough or not a "true conservative." The latter do not mention his bigotry at all and are presumably okay with it.

Make no mistake, I would say most of the republican leadership got their jimmies rustled by Trump essentially hijacking the republican nomination and spitting in their faces the entire time while doing so. It has absolutely nothing to do with political beliefs at all. Trump ruined their entire internal plan to push Jeb or Rubio out front (both of whom could have won over Hispanics and maybe find a path to winning the presidency).

Owzers

He'll endorse him in a month after declaring Trump has changed/moderated/whatever. It's just more beneficial for him personally to wait a little bit.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I respect Ryan for this. He gives the House caucus a chance to show they don't support Trump's rhetoric.

Hazmat

My only hope for Paul Ryan is that when he putters around his office he occasionally finds some half empty liquor bottles that Boehner stashed and forgot about to ease his pain.

tbm24

It's true.

First, people assumed he would flare out before the primaries started. Then they wondered if he would even win a primary or caucus. Then it was whether he could break 40% in voting, and win in a smaller field. Then it became whether or not he could crack 1237 delegates, and whether he could manage a contested convention if he didn't. In the end, none of that mattered, because he crushed it in state after state and drove all of his rivals out of the race entirely.

On paper, he would make a terrible general election candidate. But he also should've been an atrocious Republican primary candidate. He has supported and given money to the Clintons and other Democrats for years; supported abortion rights and even praised Planned Parenthood during a debate; shrugged off the whole transgender bathroom debate; attacked Bush outright for the Iraq debacle; and even offered support for the healthcare mandate before backtracking. Plus his bigotry flies right in the face of the Republican post-mortem after Romney lost, which emphasized bringing more people into the party.

If conventional wisdom held this year, he shouldn't have won a single primary. Instead, he's going to win the nomination on the first ballot after driving out a dozen other contenders.

On top of that, Hilary isn't exactly a flawless candidate either. The only reason her shitty approval ratings aren't a big story is because of how much more odious Trump is--and there is deep disdain for her across the political spectrum. Given that even Trump himself was surprised at how quickly he's sewn things up, I'm really starting to worry now.

From what I've seen just today, the Dems are not taking Trump lightly, instead they hit the ground running instantly. As much as Trump may appeal to the voting republican base, he cannot distance himself from this Primary run. The ads running already will never let that happen. There are already ads out linking republicans up for re-election to Trump. They are going to use Trump and his negative image to the fullest, and the best part is they don't have to say anything themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom