• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Ryan, US's Highest Ranking Elected GOPer, Says He Cannot Support Trump For Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Again, the Republican stance that they're against Trump because he's a bigot or "enflaming hatred" is just laughable in the extreme.

Whatever your reasons for hating Trump are, they're not the same reasons these assholes are anti-Trump.

It really is transparent. There's only one party in Washington and Trump's not a member. Clinton is.

Totally . Two competing corporations- one recently forced to sell racism when the market for patriotism tanked. Now pretending to act surprised it has attracted a racist CEO.

Totally . Two competing corporations- one recently forced to sell racism when the market for patriotism tanked. Now pretending to act surprised it has attracted a racist CEO.

Yeah, I mean let's not forget that Ted Cruz is in many ways the more objectionable human being. More dangerous and fanatical. Yet he was their guy.

Yoda

Did Speaker Ryan lose a few IQ points? 'No comment' would have made his life easier and eventually he'll of course be supporting the nominee of his party. The Freedom Caucus is going to have his ass and he doesn't have the spine to stand up to them.

RPGCrazied

Did Speaker Ryan lose a few IQ points? 'No comment' would have made his life easier and eventually he'll of course be supporting the nominee of his party. The Freedom Caucus is going to have his ass and he doesn't have the spine to stand up to them.

He had to say something, I mean you got Reince telling GOP people to back Trump or get out. He can't stay neutral much longer.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Some long game is being played here. The timing of Cruz, Kasich, bush and Ryan doesn't make sense- but I suspect it makes sense to somebody.

Not implying conspiracy- just PR spin and maybe four year planning.

Some long game is being played here. The timing of Cruz, Kasich, bush and Ryan doesn't make sense- but I suspect it makes sense to somebody.

Not implying conspiracy- just PR spin and maybe four year planning.

Maybe I'm wrong but the impression I get is that their planning amounts to "let's ride it out".

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Alright so now that Trump's presumptive, he's the Reagan-esque one. Cruz gets to be '77 Reagan. Romney was Reagan Classic. Wait, no, Romney was New Reagan and now when he pops up we call him Reagan 2. And John McCain was Reagan Classic.
McCain was Diet Reagan, Jeb was Reagan Zero

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Boehner saw the writing on the wall and got the fuck out though. Ryan doesn't have that choice and is riding Trump's Wild Ride all the way to the end and beyond. I don't envy the man.

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah

I have absolutely no idea what they promised Ryan for him to agree to become speaker. This is hilarious.

Is this really true?

I know there's a pretty sizable amount of people who generally dislike her, but I always thought this idea was blown up to make her look bad.

Yes, she has the second worst favorability rating of any major party candidate in recorded history.

Luckily for her, Trump is the one guy who is viewed even worse by the electorate.

enten-generaldislike-2.png

They are both historically awful candidates, Trump is just so unbelievably awful and toxic that he makes Hillary look competent in comparison.

Yes, she has the second worst favorability rating of any major party candidate in recorded history.

Luckily for her, Trump is the one guy who is viewed even worse by the electorate.

They are both historically awful candidates, Trump is just so unbelievably awful and toxic that he makes Hillary look competent in comparison.

Wow.

Today I've learned something.

So the "I'll vote for her, but I don't like her" crowd really is larger than I thought. As far as people within my circle go it's not surprising, but as far as the larger conversation is concerned I really thought it was an exaggerated smear.

I think that HIllary's will rebound a bit when it becomes a 2-man race. There's a lot of pollsters who see her unfavorably when compared to their ideal candidate, like a Bernie Sanders. But your point is still true, Hillary Clinton has always been disliked. She was disliked when she was first lady, as well, before Bill's public cheating issues. She was marred by two scandals in Pres. Clinton's first term, the Whitewater scandal and the Travelgate scandal, along with her leading a failed task force for "Hillarycare" health care reform, and it tanked her favorability ratings.

Wow.

Today I've learned something.

So the "I'll vote for her, but I don't like her" crowd really is larger than I thought. As far as people within my circle go it's not surprising, but as far as the larger conversation is concerned I really thought it was an exaggerated smear.

It's not. The reality is that nobody likes Hillary, it's just they like The Donald even less.

Never in the history of the American political system has the choice been so starkly between Kodos and Kang. We need reform of our political system so much it hurts, we're not as horrible as Japan's sclerotic excuse for a democracy but we're inching closer every day.

It's not. The reality is that nobody likes Hillary, it's just they like The Donald even less.

Never in the history of the American political system has the choice been so starkly between Kodos and Kang. We need reform of our political system so much it hurts, we're not as horrible as Japan's sclerotic excuse for a democracy but we're inching closer every day.

To be fair to Clinton, favorability rating doesn't always correlate to a successful presidency. George W. Bush had a high favorability rating going into the election, but was a fairly lousy president.

Clinton, by all accounts, can be a very capable president, despite that many people personally dislike her personality.

To be fair to Clinton, favorability rating doesn't always correlate to a successful presidency. George W. Bush had a high favorability rating going into the election, but was a fairly lousy president.

Clinton, by all accounts, can be a very capable president, despite that many people personally dislike her personality.

Absolutely. I wouldn't say Hillary is a bad politician at all, she's just a lousy campaigner.

In terms of actually pushing her agenda getting things done once she's in office, I think she will do a fine job.

Its getting voters to like her that she fails miserably at.

Eusis

I can also see it being that they don't really like the thought of Clinton as president but recognize she would probably do a good job, versus Trump where they like him as entertainment AT BEST and know he'd be a colossal disaster as president barring a miracle.

Slayven

why was people hyped for Dukakis?

"I understand that Americans are angry and frustrated. But we do not need someone in the Oval Office who mirrors and inflames our anger and frustration," George W Bush told the South Carolina audience.

"But we do not need someone in the Oval Office who mirrors and inflames our anger and frustration," George W Bush told the South Carolina audience.

"someone in the Oval Office who mirrors and inflames our anger and frustration," George W Bush

the fuuuuuuuck

Clinton is the second least popular presidential nominee in recorded history. She is anything but strong.

and she'll walk to the white house anyways.
The entire GOP had 8 years to prep for this exact moment and they only knocked her down to this level.
that's pretty strong in my book.

Nibiru

Banned
Cruz screwed them again. They were certain he would stay in until the convention and they could pull shenanigans. He probably knew that they were probably going to steal it from him in end so he bailed. I honestly think Ryan thought he could be the white knight candidate and all of those chances are toast.

Clinton picked a good year to run. I don't think she would win if the GOP was halfway competent. Not a great candidate but her competition is having an identity crisis.

Binabik15

Jeeebus, there's an old white haired dude on my train right now who first told a story about a girl in Pakistan being set on fire and that being normal Islam there and then proceeded to loudly eyplain that Donald Trump is the greatest thing to ever happen to the presidential election of the US of A, coming from nothing and beating 16 others. Paul Ryan not endoring him despite being thirs most powerful and Trump greatest triumph being tearing down the Republican party. Bla bla anger in the Midwest over empty factories, pwoplw wanting a teardown, Hilary losing to Trump, Sanders being robbed, bla bla. People jumping ship from Sanders to Trump if Hilary gets the nomaination.

Oh, and America is not behind in anything, it's just the rest of the world catching up.

I can't really figure out if he''s a salty Berniebro or a die hard Trumpet blower or a brainstorming political science professor, but maaan, it's like so many PoliGAF stereotypes in one package.

We both boarded the train in a very, VERY liberal (in the American sense, here a "liberal" would vote FDP and not Die Grüne who are currently forming our local government) town in southern Germany. Yeah.

PS: Oh, now he says he loves democracy. As an idea.

HylianTom

Banned
FYI:
CNN polling as of late has Clinton's favorability ratings rebounding. Their latest poll has her no longer underwater, but at 49-49.

She's probably benefitting from being compared to Trump.

pa22word

You can't get more Reaganesque then Trump. He's a war mongering, racist, corporatist through and through just like Reagan.

Hey now you can say a lot about reagan, but war mongering he was absolutely not.

Or do you honestly expect the same response from Bush jr/cheney following the Lebanon crisis as we got from Reagan?

lupinko

It does matter. Speaker is 3rd in line from presidency and holds possibly the most powerful office after the president.

Boehner is the smartest mofo in GOP.

You mean second in line, senate pro tempore is third in line to the presidency, and the VP is first in line after the President.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Sounds like how a Bernie campaign would go down if he was the nominee.

Probably if it wasn't against Trump. Trump has way way too much bamage. Hilary has awful favouribility ratings and she's a shu in as Trump as pissed off almost every demographic that matters that isn't white males.

Kyzer

Banned

It's because they stand no chance if they just fall in behind Trump. There has to be an actual reconciliation between the different wings of the Republican party or Hillary will completely devour their souls in November

FYI:
CNN polling as of late has Clinton's favorability ratings rebounding. Their latest poll has her no longer underwater, but at 49-49.

She's probably benefitting from being compared to Trump.

Meanwhile, here are some of the other recent polls.

Morning Consult 4/29 - 5/2 1,976 RV 43 54 4 Unfavorable +11
Morning Consult 4/26 - 4/29 1,964 RV 42 54 3 Unfavorable +12
IBD/TIPP 4/22 - 4/28 814 RV 43 56 1 Unfavorable +13
YouGov/Economist 4/22 - 4/26 2,000 A 42 54 4 Unfavorable +12
Suffolk/USA Today 4/20 - 4/24 1,000 LV 37 54 9 Unfavorable +17

But let's ignore those and treat the CNN outlier as gospel while simulatenously claiming the Ras poll that shows Trump leading Clinton to be garbage. (Which do be fair, it is. I'm just saying let's not do the same nonsense conservatives do by cherry-picking a single poll and claiming it presents the TRUE reality.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom