• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX AU 2014 Thread: Everyone was Hotline Miami guy

Mistle

I'm excited to check out the New 3DS and Smash U today.

Will hope to get into the Talking Funny panel also, otherwise I'm not too fussed about where I end up today.

Shaneus

Posting for new page:

Is anyone going to PAX checking out the Owning Your Geek panel? Any chance you could record it on your phone or something? I'm stuck on a train with obstructed tracks and am almost definitely going to miss it. Shame as it's the one across the whole weekend I REALLY had a vested interested in.

2SeeKU

Fairly certain I brought the only Vita to PAX AUS.

Are you suprised? It doesn't even have it's own tab on the EB Games website!

I6QAzRz.jpg

Caramello

So a friend is planning on going with a ticket he received in the mail addressed to the former tenant of his current house. Will he have an issue doing that?

He did try to get in contact with the guy but he wasn't able to.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So a friend is planning on going with a ticket he received in the mail addressed to the former tenant of his current house. Will he have an issue doing that?

He did try to get in contact with the guy but he wasn't able to.
If he has the pass I don't think so.

Also, Sony isn't here. Why? This is the second time now, do they just not care anymore? They are losing valuable hands-on while Nintendo and Microsoft's booths are packed with people playing Splatoon and Sunset.

Dimefan3

Hey gang, quick question - did anyone park there today? How are the rates? Can you leave your car there overnight?

I'm taking the train tomorrow (up at 5am. eek) But I'm starting to wonder, if I buy/win something a bit chunky, having my car would be handy, rather than lug it around awkwardly to a train station come Monday.

MrBS

First day over. Fun was had. MrsBS through to round three of omegathon. Kerplunk was a lot of fun with all the heckling. Keynote was interesting and the guys has fun with Q&A afterwards.

So many streetpasses!

Venue is so much better this year. Public transport wasn't a problem either.

MrBS

All tickets sold out ;)

Today so far I've tried out Dragon Age, Smash Wii U, New 3DS, Battlecry. Good times.

I've been here all 3 days but there's so much to do that I've barely been on Neogaf. You could spend the entire con just clearing out your streetpasses.

Shaneus

Mortal Kombat X was pretty dope. Great to see a bunch of GAF-connected titles like Assault Android Cactus do well, alongside Ninja Pizza Girl. Honestly, such a massive area just for ANZ indies was possibly my favourite thing about the show!

Except for the retro gaming area. Man, that place was sweet. Some T3K on the Nuon, T2K on the Jag, Rainbow Islands on Amiga (weeee!) and a bit of mucking around on some of the other games there.

Oh, Tearaway (both Vita and PS4 versions) are/look fucking awesome. Need to get at least the PS4 one, probably the Vita as well. You can tell MM have put some serious thought into implementing the rarely-used features of said consoles, like the PS4's touchpad and Vita's rear.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this was on and I didn't even realise.

go me.

Kritz

Banned
PAX Impressions:

Boy, I came in such a skeptic of the show after last year. The location, the venue size, the lack of various bits and pieces that turned the event into a frustration despite still being a welcome event. 2014 fixed every problem I had with the show, and then some. The table top area was massive. The indie games were incredibly prominent, and everyone there was very friendly and great to talk to. The panels this year were spot on, with an incredibly interesting portrayal of Australia's place in the games industry right now and how it affects the smaller developers going forward. Standout panels were the GameLoading.tv sneak screening, which was subtle and quite small and ran at 9pm, but the enforcers were brilliant and allowed the panel to run almost half an hour over time so the audience could keep engaging with the panelists. I have never been so intimidated in my life hearing Rami talk about what it takes to make games, and the amount of passion you need to have to make it, because it's a subject that is currently at the forefront of my life. But it was great having a brief dialogue with him, and Trent, and it's so great to be able to have that kind of interaction that can have a major influence on yourself in such a short amount of time. Serrel's future of Australian indie development panel was also amazing and so dense with advice, and all together every panel I went to felt like a worthwhile experience. The final send off with Combat was a nice wrap up, too.

In all, I'm completely impressed with how much the show has evolved in such a short amount of time. It was easier to play games, talk to people, move around, there were less lines and more seats and better food options, the mcc is in the perfect place, and I hardly even noticed MTG and LoL this year.

A lot of people I know didn't attend this year out of skepticism, or only bought a Friday pass, but man, PAX 2014 was a complete success that I think next year is going to be fantastic.

And maybe next year I'll even have a game to show, who knows! :eek:

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I didn't go to PAX last year, and only did Sunday this year, but had fun. I'm not crazy about the whole expo-like environment, just not for me, but the venue seemed perfect with a lot of demographics catered too. I didn't spend much time there but I was really impressed to see the handheld lounge and tabletop/card gaming area huge and lively.

Great to try out Smash U, which shits all over the 3DS build. Splatoon was a lot of fun, conceptually very original and executed well. Really want to see how the concept is stretched across a whole game, but the demo proved they've excellent footing. Was awesome catching up with Satellite Reign, which looks incredible. And Metrocide, a game I knew nothing about, was surprisingly very neat. Looking to play much more of that.

Colombo

I went to Pax today with a mate and his 4 year old son. It was pretty cool but the total non-show of Sony and Playstation was disappointing! I already own a Wii U and Xbox One so while it was great to see both MS and Nintendo there, xi really wanted to see some PS4 stuff. I did see The Crew and a few other games on PS4 including 30 mins on Alien Isolation but Sony's lack of effort hurt the show as a whole.

I still plan on returning next year and 2 more friends want to come next time.

jacargon

Neo Member
Fairly certain I brought the only Vita to PAX AUS.

My final count for PAX Aus 2014 Vita Watch over the three days was about 9.

I went to enter the Vita tournament on the Saturday, there were two people signed up for it. And they didn't have copies like they did last year to offer those who didn't own the game.

Renpatsu

My final count for PAX Aus 2014 Vita Watch over the three days was about 9.

I went to enter the Vita tournament on the Saturday, there were two people signed up for it. And they didn't have copies like they did last year to offer those who didn't own the game.
Could have just seen me nine times over and over again during PAX.

But yeah, I thought it was a bit of an oversight to have the only Vita tourney game be a poorly received Ridge Racer rather than say Killzone: Mercenary.

Shaneus

They didn't even provide consoles or carts for the Vita tourney? Bit rich.

I had mine with me, too. Didn't play much on it though, just a bit of Lumines while queuing for a retro panel, and updated the system software using the free wifi.

Axiom

I had my Vita out every time I was in line, I got my entire group of friends addicted to Spelunky.

Bloody amazing PAX, didn't want it to end. Leagues above last year - this was the PAX I'd heard so much about over the years.

Rlan

So here's my impressions:

This year's PAX was a million times better than last year - better talks (
including mine
), a place so much closer to the city, which for me was a 10 miunute tram ride away, and being close to drinks allowed for me to talk with so many other developers.

Microsoft being there in full force was awesome, and the PAX indie booth was amazing - such a huge amount of great games being shown there.

If I had to give some feedback for a better overall PAX (hey Yug!) it would be this:

The PAX Indie area was great. Big banner at the top of every point, allowing for you to be able to see those games from far away, it was awesome promotion for those indies.

But on the opposite side, I feel that the (slightly) bigger developers out there got a bit of a shaft in terms of how good their booths were. Finding developers like Defiant, Tantalus and Infinite Interactive was difficult sometimes! Their booths, being the general square sectioned off booth spots, were uninspiring and lacked any presense. With just bold text saying "TANTALUS" at the top, I felt these devs got a bum deal despite having to pay more (assumedly) for the space.

Those devs also aren't really showing much else compared to the smaller developers - Tantalus was showing off their two iOS games on a podium, Defiant their one Hand of Fate booth, and Infinite their War of the Gems iOS game.

I feel that a lot of the Australian developers who are bigger than the "5 max" rule, but are really about 20 or so people split into smaller groups, would be far better off getting one half of an indie dev booth than getting a block. The openness of the indie booths made for a much better experience than the closed feeling of the other booths.

Just my two cents. Anyone else feel similar?

Vormund

I had my vita with me on friday...didn't bother bringing it on sunday.

Also really disappointing Sony had basically no presence whatsoever.

wetwired

So here's my impressions:

This year's PAX was a million times better than last year - better talks (
including mine
), a place so much closer to the city, which for me was a 10 miunute tram ride away, and being close to drinks allowed for me to talk with so many other developers.

Microsoft being there in full force was awesome, and the PAX indie booth was amazing - such a huge amount of great games being shown there.

If I had to give some feedback for a better overall PAX (hey Yug!) it would be this:

The PAX Indie area was great. Big banner at the top of every point, allowing for you to be able to see those games from far away, it was awesome promotion for those indies.

But on the opposite side, I feel that the (slightly) bigger developers out there got a bit of a shaft in terms of how good their booths were. Finding developers like Defiant, Tantalus and Infinite Interactive was difficult sometimes! Their booths, being the general square sectioned off booth spots, were uninspiring and lacked any presense. With just bold text saying "TANTALUS" at the top, I felt these devs got a bum deal despite having to pay more (assumedly) for the space.

Those devs also aren't really showing much else compared to the smaller developers - Tantalus was showing off their two iOS games on a podium, Defiant their one Hand of Fate booth, and Infinite their War of the Gems iOS game.

I feel that a lot of the Australian developers who are bigger than the "5 max" rule, but are really about 20 or so people split into smaller groups, would be far better off getting one half of an indie dev booth than getting a block. The openness of the indie booths made for a much better experience than the closed feeling of the other booths.

Just my two cents. Anyone else feel similar?

This is something we noticed as well, we had one of those slightly larger ones and felt it wasn't optimal, particular as we were right across from the razor booth which was drowning out any conversations with attendees we were having with their music.

Dimefan3

The indie area was amazing, I got a fair chunk of it on camera, so any games I didn't get a card for I'll be able to look up later. By the way - was there a game called 'Star Citizen' there? A friend of mine in bendigo was raving that I should go check it out, but I couldn't find it.

I'm hoping to put together a quick video when I get back to Sydney, I'll share it with you all when it's done.

SoapyCub

Neo Member
By the way - was there a game called 'Star Citizen' there? A friend of mine in bendigo was raving that I should go check it out, but I couldn't find it.

It was there, in a tiny booth near the Oculus. My friend who was keen on it about a year ago said he had been disappointed with the direction it has taken that we didn't even bother to stop and look.

Shaneus

This is something we noticed as well, we had one of those slightly larger ones and felt it wasn't optimal, particular as we were right across from the razor booth which was drowning out any conversations with attendees we were having with their music.
Yeah, I noticed it as well with your booth. I stayed and watched the running trailers and grabbed a leaflet and sticker, but that godawful Razer stand was so goddamned loud and annoying! Maybe they'll have some sound thing so when they organise locations, they can keep the hardware manufacturers and loud/big pubs/devs away from the slightly smaller ones.

Reign looked amazing, BTW. Definitely in on the Early Access in December!

It was there, in a tiny booth near the Oculus. My friend who was keen on it about a year ago said he had been disappointed with the direction it has taken that we didn't even bother to stop and look.
Yeah, I'm kinda the same. I went into it just looking at the single player mode, but the inherent focus on the MMMMMO aspect has me a little disheartened. Sure, give me a world that's dynamic and changing and massive or whatever, but let me explore it on my own. I get the feeling I'm paying more for that side (which I couldn't give two shits about) than the SP.

Chris Roberts' talk was pretty great, though. The footage of the title looks amazing.

Yug

Next year, we'll be implementing a policy that they already have at the PAX show's in the States, which restricts amplified MC's within certain sized booths.

Also, we're working on ideas to make grow the indie area to make those that take larger booths more a part of that space.

Keep coming at me with constructive feedback for sure, though overall I am super happy with how the show went :)

wetwired

Also, we're working on ideas to make grow the indie area to make those that take larger booths more a part of that space.

Apart from the razor booth across from us this was the biggest issue we had with our booth, we were opposite razor, Qantm (from memory) and some headphone manufacturer, we definitely felt somewhat alienated and overlooked due to our location, whereas the booths behind us (defiant, black annex etc) always looked busy a part of the indie area.

Top Bottom