• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX AU 2014 Thread: Everyone was Hotline Miami guy

Gazunta

1500x500

The Second Penny Arcade Expo Australia ("PAX Aus") is happening in Melbourne, Australia, from Friday October 31 to Sunday November 2.

For those that don't know, Penny Arcade Expo is basically a giant festival of the games we enjoy playing.

People who are making new games (some of them GAFfers!) will be there to them off for your entertainment. There is a section where you can play old video games you may never have seen before. There is a section where you can play table top games with friends old and new. There are gaming-themed concerts after hours. There are panels where smart and funny people talk about things that matter. There are areas where you can bring your own PC or handheld and play whatever you like. There are contests and events and people in costume and pins to trade and merchandise to covet and celebrities to meet. There is the Omegathon, where the best of the best of the best gamers battle each other for fortune and glory. THERE IS FUN TO BE HAD AT ALL TIMES!

Games that are being made by GAF members that will be on display at PAX Australia include Ninja Pizza Girl (ANZ Indie Pavillion), Assault Android Cactus (Booth AIS2) and Satellite Reign (Booth 2706) so be sure to stop by and say hi to them and show some GAF support :) (Please let me know if I'm missing any GAFfers game so I can add it to the list and visit!)

Maybe you will be there too? Maybe you will want to see some new video games, or old video games, or board games, or concerts, or some of your favourite creators?

This thread is where we can talk about what's on that we're interested in seeing, and to arrange meetups, and show off photos and stories about the show. We have been talking about the show in AusGAF but I figure there are many people here who don't go in that thread!

YOU WILL NEED A TICKET TO ATTEND. Local three day passes are currently sold out. International three day passes are still available. Day passes for Friday and some for Sunday are still available. GET A TICKET!

The full schedule has yet to be revealed, but the map of the event has just gone up: Download it here.

Let's have fun and be sure to welcome our overseas friends... :)

RobertMuldoon

Neo Member
Yep, I'll be there!

My accommodation is book, panels are confirmed and I'm all ready to roll!

Plus, Aqua are playing a reunion gig in Melbourne on the Monday night so I might even stay on for that! ;)

I'm a Barbie Girl karaoke tragic

Gazunta

I will be going! I am very excited about this!

This is what I am excited about:

I will be spending an inordinate amount of time at the Ninja Pizza Girl display in the ANZ Indie Booth, telling everyone within earshot what a great game it is! Come say hi :)

I am also looking forward to seeing the latest games being made by friends and former work colleagues, it is a very exciting time in the Australian game development scene!

Most of my spare time will be spent in the Classic Gaming area. This was my favourite part of the show last year because I got to just chill out and play Commodore 64 games and talk about how amazing the Commodore 64 is to random people.

I also want to go play some old school D&D, a friend of mine is running a table there and that was seriously so much fun last time. I haven't played D&D in years!

By far the best part of PAX was meeting old friends and meeting new ones. It really was the most fun I had all last year!

Shaneus

I will be going! I am very excited about this!

This is what I am excited about:
Looks like I'll be seeing you at the Ninja Pizza Girl and retro gaming areas again! I'd love to see some kind of more formal informal high score comp for some random game in that area, I had a blast last time. Did I tell you I won? ;)

Surprised the schedule isn't available yet, it's getting damn close to the date and we're yet to hear basically anything about anything. Social people need to co-ordinate, damnit!

farmerboy

Should be really good at the new venue. Xbox has a pretty big booth, looks like they want to make a good showing. Am I missing something, where's Sony's booth?

Hopefully they show off the pinny arcade lineup soon. Been obsessively watching the site for any sign of new pins. Totally not obsessed

jambo

Theatre sizes

Main Theatre - 2,400
Wombat Theatre - 1,400
Dropbear Theatre - 466
Kookaburra Theatre - 480
Galah Theatre - 480
Fruitbat Theatre - 480

Seems wayyyyyy better than last year.

Rlan

At least this time it's not during one of the coldest Melbourne Winters ever

Also Microsoft is more than a 3x3m square to look at the console.

Also Cards Against Humanity will be there and I want whatever AU version of the game they make.

Also I won't be there this year because I was disappointed with the one last year.

Theatre sizes

Main Theatre - 2,400
Wombat Theatre - 1,400
Dropbear Theatre - 466
Kookaburra Theatre - 480
Galah Theatre - 480
Fruitbat Theatre - 480

Seems wayyyyyy better than last year.

Totally. As someone who's doing a panel at this years show, I'm very interested to see if all the panels get packed out like last year - even the most niche things at the worst possible time/weather got packed out, which astounded me.

Also very hyped for the show!

Yug

So I will try not to spam this forum with much, but I'll keep an eye on things in here as well if anyone has questions about the show, that I can most likely answer!

I should also add, that as of right now, there are still refunded 3 day badges in the system available for people to buy: http://www.showclix.com/event/3776089/

Shaneus

Also Cards Against Humanity will be there and I want whatever AU version of the game they make.
I played the original of that only a few weeks ago and loved the shit out of it. I was in tears several times.

I'll be sure to tell you how awesome the AU one is.

Booked flights (from perth), accommodation and tickets last month. Ready to go! This is the last time in a long time i will see myself being able to go to a gaming convention and this sounds fantastic so i treated myself to going this year with the gf :)

After looking at the floor plan it is interesting that EA is giving this mostly a miss except for what looks like a very small room off the main floor... I thought they has somewhat of a presence here, more so then Ubisoft, especially since they would be launching DA:I 2 weeks after PAX.

Looking forward to seeing the panel schedule and more posts from Yug! (thanks for all your hard work in advance Yug :) )

I need more board game stuff. Having the Cards Against Humanity guys there is a good start. I would love to see more developers/publishers there demoing their new games. Give me Fantasy Flight showing off new X-Wing miniatures.

Yug

I need more board game stuff. Having the Cards Against Humanity guys there is a good start. I would love to see more developers/publishers there demoing their new games. Give me Fantasy Flight showing off new X-Wing miniatures.

Yeah, I'm working on a map for the actual tabletop area, which I'm hoping to add to this one at the end of the week. There is heaps in there.

Dimefan3

Yeah, I'm working on a map for the actual tabletop area, which I'm hoping to add to this one at the end of the week. There is heaps in there.

Guess that means I should lug along a MTG deck...and my 2DS...

Pretty pumped for this. Hotel is booked (right in the CBD, not far from Expo centre) and I got 2 weeks off for it. Yes, I'm just going to PAX for the weekend, but 2 WEEKS OFF PEOPLE!!! :)

Kritz

Banned
I guess I'll see if I can pass my exams, go to pax, and launch a kickstarter in the same two week period!

Because last year I only did one of those things.

Yug, I have completed the tabletop map to give you a helping hand.

f92wL6j.png

SoapyCub

Neo Member
My buddy and I bought tickets July last year. It was only a few weeks ago that I remembered and thought, "Oh crap! Did we miss it?" :p

Tix arrived today. Can't see a dota booth? :/

Renpatsu

My group plans fell through, if there are any folks who wouldn't mind a 23 y.o Gaffer tagging along if only for a bit let me know. I'd rather not wander around on my own if I had the choice.

Dimefan3

Hoping my tickets arrive at their destination this week, they're going to my Mother's house in Victoria, and she's on holiday overseas, so I won't know I've got them until the day before when I get down there...

The Foul

I'm looking forward to paxaus14. Really enjoyed last year, spent the majority of the time in the board game area, stoked to see it expanded. 10 hour road trip, bring it on.

Mistle

For some reason I thought I bought a Sat ticket, but it just arrived and it's Friday! Haha, which is awesome, because I really wanted to go to the Talking Funny panel (with Ron Gilbert) and now I can.

Seems to be less panels that I would be interested in this year, but I didn't go to any last year anyway. I should make myself go to one or two.

Any news on the set up of the Tabletop area yet?

Gazunta

Events I think are cool, besides the obvious ones like the Penny Arcade Q&A and Omegathon:

Political Proactivism for Geeks

After the latest federal budget, many Australian “geeks" were upset about the cuts and lack of support to science, the arts, libraries, and tech. So, how can we express to the powers that be that we value our libraries and art galleries, our CSIROs, and Interactive Game Funds? Does slacktivism achieve anything? Are protests outdated? Can video games be an effective tool for political persuasion? Help us brainstorm positive ways to express our shared values to all sides of politics.

PANELISTS:
Adam Bandt [Member of Parliament, The Greens], Sue McKerracher [Executive Director, ALIA], Justin Halliday [Investment Manager, Screen Australia], Conor O'Kane [Lecturer, RMIT], Dr Fiona Tweedie [Organiser, GovHack Melbourne], Nicole Stark [Director, Disparity Games]

WOMBAT THEATRE FRIDAY 31/10 2:00PM - 3:00PM

You Can Make Games Too!

Yes, you can make games too! Game developers can come from backgrounds in writing, psychology, biology, history, theatre—and we believe these perspectives enrich the games space. Hobbyists, hopefuls, students and superstars will learn how to seek opportunities—or create their own. Panelists, including console, mobile, AAA and indie developers, will share their unique path into the industry, offer advice and discuss how they want to see the industry grow: we want you to make games too!

PANELISTS:
Josh Caratelli [Gameplay Programmer, Josh "Carrot" Caratelli], Liam Esler [Production Coordinator, Surprise Attack], Timothy Best [Lead Designer, Mighty Games Group], Tony Parmenter [Associate Lecturer, SAE/QANTM], Ashley Zeldin [Creative Director, Adorkable Games]

FRUITBAT THEATRE FRIDAY 31/10 6:30PM - 7:30PM

Virtual Worlds: a look into the VR past, present and future

Virtual Reality is fast becoming a household buzzword, but what is it all about? Has it not been around for ages? why is it only now getting traction? How will the popularity of VR impact the commercial space as we move into the future? What do we see as the next steps in VR technology? Come and hear some answers from some leading lights in the VR space from both an Australian and International perspective. Hear their insight into how they see the VR movement and what it has to offer for everyone.

PANELISTS:
Adrian Webb [Simulation Design Analyst, Australian Department of Defence], Tim Ruse [Co-Founder, Zero Latency], Sean Edwards [Director or Development, Shovsoft/Lucid VR], OculusVR Team [Oculus VR]

DROPBEAR THEATRE FRIDAY 31/10 6:00PM - 7:00PM

What They Won't Tell You About Working in Videogames

Ever wondered what really goes on behind the closed doors of a development studio? Are publishers really the devil? Do journalists get paid in pizza? Why don't videogames ever look like their trailers?

Our panel of current and former game developers, marketers, publishers, journalists and community managers discuss the issues and answer your questions.

PANELISTS:
Paul Houlihan [ex-PR for THQ, host of The Fourth Player podcast, freelancer for Official PlayStation Magazine], Nick Hagger [ex-Producer for Bluetongue Entertainment, GM of indie developer Robot Circus], Ben Abbott [ex-Live Producer Real Time Worlds, QA for Rockstar North, co-host of The Fourth Player podcast], Nathan Cocks [games journalist of 10 years with PCPowerPlay, HYPER magazine and Games.On.Net, co-host of The Fourth Player podcast], James Kozanecki [ex-Community Manager and journalist for Gamespot, PR manager for Indie publisher Surprise Attack], Patrick Stafford [freelance games journalist, contributing to Polygon, Eurogamer, EDGE, Hyper and Kotaku]

KOOKABURRA THEATRE FRIDAY 31/10 8:00PM - 9:00PM

The best [retro] video games you've [probably] never played.

You've played the best gaming blockbusters on the latest systems - but what next? With over 100 years of gaming experience between us, it's safe to say the teams from Retrospekt, Retro Domination, & Ausretrogamer have played a lot of games over the last 30 years. What might be surprising is some of our favourites aren't well known. Join us on a journey where we showcase the more obscure titles that we love. Listen to why we love them, check out the videos, and find out how you too can play them.

PANELISTS:
Marcus Schmerl [Contributor / Atari guy, Retrospekt], Paul Monopoli [Contributor / Amstrad guy, Retrospekt], Darren Borg [Co-owner / contributor / Commodore guy, Retro Domination], Tim Arnold [Contributor / resident nerd guy, Retro Domination], Alex Boz [Founder / writer / chief retro gamer, Ausretrogamer]

KOOKABURRA THEATRE SATURDAY 1/11 11:00AM - 12:00PM

Where to now for Australian Game Development?

Australians have been making amazing video games for 30 years but it’s fair to say that the last few years have been a difficult time for local developers.

Hosted by Kotaku’s Mark Serrels, the panel will discuss what is happening now and what the governments, developers, publishers, investors, educators and gamers can do to help forge a bright and exciting future for the Australian development scene.

The panel will also shine a spotlight on some of the most exciting locally developed games.

PANELISTS:
Mark Serrels [Editor, Kotaku AU], Chris Wright [Managing Director, Surprise Attack Games], Clara Reeves [Manager - Games, Digital Content and Animation, Film Victoria], Morgan Jaffit [Director, Defiant Development], Tony Lawrence [General Manager, 2K Australia], Maize Wallin [Interactive Art Composer/Curator, Glitchmark]

WOMBAT THEATRE SUNDAY 2/11 4:30PM - 5:30PM

I just noticed that whoever wrote these blurbs puts two spaces after a full stop. WILL THIS MADNESS EVER END!?!

Kritz

Banned
*shrug* the CAH panel might be fun. And if I remember to, I'll go see Alexander Bruce talk about weird shit or indie games or something.

The Foul

Most keen to see this panel;

I am JC Denton: A Conversation With Jay Anthony Franke
Jay Anthony Franke is the voice actor who not only provided the voice of JC and Paul Denton, but also worked on the dev team that created the Gaming Classic, Deus Ex. Please join us as Jay recalls stories and anecdotes of how this Legendary game to be. This will be a 45 minute presentation/interview followed by a 15 minute audience Q&A.

PANELISTS:
Jay Anthony Franke [Voice Actor/ Game Developer], Peter Marshall [Interviewer]

Been running through Deus 1 to get it fresh in my mind just for this.

MrBS

Will be returning this year after a great time last year. I'm hoping my biggest complaint about wait times is better this time around. MrsBS is participating in omegathon too which is neat.

Another day in Perth and still no tickets :/ Ah well...

Looking forward to a few of the panels - mainly the Bioware one as that always seems interesting/fun on the streamed ones in the past.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I will again attend nightly drinks.

I'll try not to pass out on the steps of Flinders this time.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I'll be there. Less Nintendo stuff for me so happy to just chill with cool peeps.

Shaneus

Not as much stuff for me to get my teeth into as last year (from memory), but as per last year, I'm mostly going for the people (hi AusGAF!) and the retro area. Also itching to hang with the Ninja Pizza Girl and Assault Android Cactus peeps :)

Top Bottom