• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2017 - NeoGAF Get-Togethers

Sanjuro

8pcmrP7.jpg

Sony booth wasn't kidding yesterday about one of their PSVR demos filling up in less than a minute.
Luckily, I snagged a spot for Farpoint today on their app. Can't understand why the Crash Bandicoot demo is on there, though.

Saturday was pretty hype

It's just so fucking cold, my goodness brrrrrrrr
So many people are gonna go home sick

I found a Nintendo card on the floor that was not filled out/stamped and showed it to the person that lets you in and she let me in
Avoided a 2-3 hour wait lol
Arms is ok, not gonna be worth $50 to me tbh
1-2 switch is surprisingly fun, will pick it up down the line
Bomberman is amazing with 4 people
Couldn't play splatoon 2 since it was 3 games per card but the guy gave me the pin anyway
Tried Mario kart , that game is gonna be amazing again, I played 8 so much , hype.

Couldn't find the H1N1 booth
Toejam & Earl hype 😎

Can't believe I spent and collected so much stuff this year that I had to treat it as check-in luggage on my way to my flight.

Besides that, this PAX East was fun.

Today's report:

The panel about forgotten game franchises that need to come back was a nice one. Heard and was reminded of some games.

One game I loved was a 16-bit platformer called Star Knight Hollie, but the devs said it was an alpha build, so it won't be out for some time. Looks great, though.

Another was in arcade-style game called Russian Subway Dogs, about dogs and such scaring exiting commuters to drop their food, and you eat to survive.

Tried out a fun battle game called Arrow Heads about bird archers, and won twice!

I don't think I've heard of Windjammers until PSX,but now that I played it, I'm really looking forward to it. Still need to play Disc Jam when I get home.

Other games I played were:
Sonic Mania
Mama Hawk
Hacky (sp?)
Pato Box
Farpoint (PSVR)

One thing I regret missing was the Zelda panel.

Another was on was the FFXIV Boss Battle. Wait time was said to be 4 hours (!!!), so nope!

Hope to come back next year, and really hope it's back in April. Man, it was freezing!

taybul

Unexpectedly got to play Sonic Mania. Only had 2 levels but it was amazing. Green Hill Zone was largely similar to the original until I found
a FUCKING LIGHTNING SHIELD power up from Sonic 3 in it
. So excited for this game now!

G0523

They have a panel on which Mario is objectively the best, yet it isn't called the Super Mario Bros. 3 panel.

I went to that panel. They screwed up the final four. It was down to Super Mario 64, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Maker, And Donkey Kong (Game Boy version). It was supposed to be:

Super Mario 64 vs. Donkey Kong (GB)
and
Yoshi's Island vs. Super Mario Maker

But they messed it up and they did Super Mario 64 vs. Yoshi's Island and Donkey Kong (GB) vs. Super Mario Maker instead.

I guess it didn't matter in the end since Super Mario 64 won the whole thing anyway. Lol.

Also, where and how did you guys play Sonic Mania?! I didn't see it at Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony's booths and Sega didn't attend this year.

G0523

HyperX booth. Hype is real, it is so good!

Aww man! I was near that booth today too! Oh well. I'm sure the lines were long for it anyway. I didn't have much time to spend at the expo hall since my flight was around 2pm. Hopefully Sega will announce the release date at SXSW this week!

Donkey Kong Game Boy is legit, but no business being on the list and not by quality means.

They had weird exceptions and rules for their narrowing down to 32 games. Like the game had to make Mario and/or Luigi run and jump. Being on Yoshi's back counted. No ports or remasters were included but I thought it was strange that they did include both versions of Super Mario Maker and Super Mario 64. They also separated the 32 games into 4 categories: Modern Era (weird since "modern" included SM64, a game that came out over 20 years ago, but I understood their frame of mind), Classic Era, Handheld Games, and Oddities. I didn't think it was that well done and their reasons for what games they chose to move on were pretty flimsy. Sometimes they would say which game they chose and then it would be a different game on screen. They admitted they didn't remember which one they chose at the time of choosing. I kinda thought it would be an audience-participation panel where we would decide but nope. It was a fun panel and wasn't meant to be taken seriously at all so I guess it was a good way to spend an hour.

robotrock

Banned
I had such a great time at PAX this year, played something like nine video games on Saturday?? Met some really cool developers too and had some great chats. Been going to these for the past five years or so but I think this was my favorite one yet.

Also, show floor felt so much more open than last year. Could not believe it.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I had Tibetan buffet from some highly rated place by my airbnb.

Tasted like Thai food served from a dumpster. I should have gone with the Pax and Cheese.

TheContact

Was My first time going to pax (my friend lives 2 minutes walking distance from the convention center) so I stayed his his place and we walked over. God damn it was cold. We walked to the pier after for lunch and I nearly died. Definitely didn't dr as warm enough; just had a light jacket no gloves no hat.

Pax was awesome though. I wanted to buy stuff from blizzard shop but the line was too long

Top Bottom