• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX South 2015 Attendees Thread Jan 23-25

Hylian7

Got to try Elite Dangerous with the Oculus. Another guy came up to the gate and talked to us a bit about it, and me and the guy in front of me mentioned we have played it, but not on Oculus and really wanted to try it. He took us around the corner, took down the barricade and let us wait on two people that were already playing on the Oculus stations.

I am absolutely sold on Oculus now. Holy shit it was amazing. It was a little dizzying at first, but it was something I got more used to as I got used to playing with it. When I looked down, my first reaction was to think I would see my hands on the controls. It was that good.

Riot panel was nice, and I got my question answered.

Heading back to my hotel now that the expo hall is closing. I'm coming back after I clear all my swag and merch.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Got to try Elite Dangerous with the Oculus. Another guy came up to the gate and talked to us a bit about it, and me and the guy in front of me mentioned we have played it, but not on Oculus and really wanted to try it. He took us around the corner, took down the barricade and let us wait on two people that were already playing on the Oculus stations.

I am absolutely sold on Oculus now. Holy shit it was amazing. It was a little dizzying at first, but it was something I got more used to as I got used to playing with it. When I looked down, my first reaction was to think I would see my hands on the controls. It was that good.
Good to have another convert.

I hope they have missile parity where you lock on using head tracking with EVE VR, that's what completely sold me.

akileese

I got to play elite dangerous without oculus yesterday. Waited over an hour in line only to have someone who previously was not in line get in front of three or four people (not sure if she had media creds or what not). Long story short, she ended up essentially jacking my oculus spot and they tried to shuffle me off to another non-oculus station. I explained the situation and asked if I could wait it out and they said no holding so I said fine and just left.

Overall a really disappointing and aggravating day. The convention as a whole has been fine, but it just really feels like the foster child of PAXs. I'm a bit irritated I just didn't just save the money and go to East with all my friends back home.

krae_man

New meetup plan. Go to pop fiction panel at 8:30 then barhop from there.

Again plan is meet outside bobcat theater at 9:30 after pop fiction, then wander somewhere.

Several people want to support Mike's panel

Hylian7

Again plan is meet outside bobcat theater at 9:30 after pop fiction, then wander somewhere.

I'm going to go get in line at the pop fiction panel pretty soon.

I decided to check out the Pop Fiction panel too. So I'll meet you guys when it's over.

I managed to try out Adventures of Pip and Capsule Force right before the expo hall closed and both (the former especially) were pretty fun.

Hylian7

I StreetPassed you! My Mii name is Matt with brown hair wearing green with the 8-bit Mario Hat.

Nephtes

I have seen like 500,000 Nintendo 3DS variants while here and not one single PS Vita...

I think it's safe to see which handheld "won" this generation of mobile gaming devices (that aren't phones...)...

molnizzle

I have seen like 500,000 Nintendo 3DS variants while here and not one single PS Vita...

I think it's safe to see which handheld "won" this generation of mobile gaming devices (that aren't phones...)...

Street Pass is also way better and more rewarding than whatever the Vita shit is. There's not much motivation to drag a Vita around with you on a convention. =P

razterik

The Returners were damn amazing live. Awesome performance.

Jerry and Mike hugging was also a hilarious highlight to the day.

Hylian7

So here my top 5 "things" from PAX so far. Also, an honorable mention goes to the meet up. You guys are awesome and I'm glad I got to meet you. Good thing we could find each other with the Dota plushies, lol.

5. The amount of community based around 3DS's. Nearly EVERYONE there has one. I was overwhelmed with StreetPasses, and even played some impromptu games with people while waiting in line. I played Smash Bros. with a guy from Monterrey, Mexico while waiting in line for Elite Dangerous. That Elite Dangerous bit is a bit of foreshadowing...
4. The swag. I haven't really been to a convention quite like this, so it was really cool to see the stuff they give out, and some booths, like Nintendo, even had interactive stuff for it "Show us you have Smash Bros 3DS for an SSB lanyard"
3. Indie games. There were a lot of them, and it was cool to see the little guys get time here. There are still some I want to try out tomorrow too.
2. Majora's Mask 3DS: A really well done remake based on what I got to play.
1. Elite Dangerous... WITH THE OCULUS RIFT! You have probably all heard the press say how the Rift is the second coming of Jesus, and you know what? They are right! Take it from an average Joe: this thing really is the future. When I first put it on, I looked down at my hands, and saw the character's hands on the controls. I adjusted the headphones I was wearing, and actually subconsciously expected the player character's hands to move with mine. I was already that immersed. Playing was slightly dizzying at first, but I got the hang of it. The whole thing just felt so real.

I can't wait to see what tomorrow has in store. I know of a few things I am looking forward to.

1. Dreadnought. I just need to suck it up and get in line.
2. For BYOC, they are raffling off 12 copies of GreyGoo, and then those 12 winners will be playing an impromptu tournament with prizes from GreyBox, who will be present at said tournament. I hope I win the raffle.
3. Brawlhalla. One of the smaller games I wanted to play. I did play Hotline Miami 2 as well as Social Justice Warriors, and a few other Indies.

daedalius

I really want to try the oculus, but ugh that line.

Everyone needs to check out the indie game "just beats and shapes" it is incredible.

Hylian7

I really want to try the oculus, but ugh that line.

Everyone needs to check out the indie game "just beats and shapes" it is incredible.
I need to check out that game too.

As for Oculus, unfortunately it is luck of the draw of you get to play Elite with it. Like I said though, I went the second time toward the end of the day and that guy at the booth was super nice and got us in on Oculuses.

Quadratic

Getting ready to head out for some breakfast then the Gearbox Panel. Going to Denny's. I don't have much left to look at so I'll probably head to table top.

Skipping the main Gearbox panel, but I 'm making sure to get to their Homeworld Remastered panel later in the afternoon. Capping the rest of PAX is a last visit to Steel Battalion.

kgtrep

I saw someone playing a white vita while in line for elite, but other than that it was all 3ds.

Heh, that might have been me. I was showing my friend how to play Hatsune Miku, cause I signed up for the tournament in the evening. I lost on the third round to who would become the final winner (the prize was a pin, so I was glad that I joined just for fun).

We both got non-OR stations at Elite but enjoyed the game nonetheless. The LSU booth had an OR too, so we tried it out there, but the demo was too simple and is not a convincing example of VR. I'm sure the Elite was much better.

Broforce at the Devolver booth was our favorite. Things can get really hectic and pump adrenaline in you.

Accidently left my vita at work so looks like I'll blend right in with just my 3DS. I'll be the dude with a transformers backpack and a shirt that says RPBJJ for anybody interested.

Ended up not going today. A combination of fatigue and having seen everything on the floor did me in. I had a great time Friday and Saturday, though!

Hylian7

Woo, the 13th guy in the Grey Goo raffle was an enforcer and opted to drop out, leaving the remaining 12 of us winners of Grey Goo keys!

krae_man

:)

Sorry we didn't come to the meetup when you put much effort into organizing one. We saw the long line at the entrance and decided to go find somewhere else.

No worries. Definately go to one the next convention you go to. Even if I'm not the one there and planning it. Meeting gaffers is always a blast.

krae_man

Just checked out one of the missions.

Old guy waiting at the bus stop with me asked me if I had any pot. Then he said he was going to the bank to get some money because there was this hot girl he wanted to do.

Got to play Elite Dangerous on Oculus. So good.

So far my favorite game has been Enter the Gungen. It's awesome. Had to go back and play it a few times. The dev there started spawning in ammo crates and stuff for me and telling me little tricks. Great game. It's a twin stick shooter that's procedurally generated. Reminds me of a shooter spelunky. Day 1 buy for me.

Krejlooc

Banned
9ktHsGP.jpg

Now that I've tried Elite on Oculus I find that pic less lol-worthy. I'm an Oculus believer now!!

The most surreal thing is when you roll the ship and I swear it feels like the room is rolling with it. I can't explain how that works to trick your brain (or maybe the rep was moving my chair just to fuck with me lol) but I swear you have to try it to understand. I'm definitely considering getting the entire setup once Oculus is on the market.

Krejlooc

Banned
I can't explain how that works to trick your brain (or maybe the rep was moving my chair just to fuck with me lol) but I swear you have to try it to understand. I'm definitely considering getting the entire setup once Oculus is on the market.

It's sensory integration in action. Simply put, our sense of presence is a combination of multiple sensory inputs at once, and the sum is greater than the parts of the whole. Its why vertigo is so easily achieved in vr.

molnizzle

I'm pretty sure that the Oculus stations had some sort of mechanical chairs that were connected to the game and were actually moving based on what was happening.

I wouldn't know though, I waited in line for an hour and got stuck with a goddamn monitor station. I'm kind of angry at the drvelopers for even having non-Oculus stations.

Overall the show was extremely disappointing. I'm glad I went because I got to finally play Steel Battalion, but that was pretty much the only interesting game I played. With all the 2015 delays I was expecting a much larger AAA presence. Gearbox and BioWare are cool companies but they didn't even have anything new on display. They were just there.

Meh.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm pretty sure that the Oculus stations had some sort of mechanical chairs that were connected to the game and were actually moving based on what was happening..

They weren't, they were normal chairs

s4VijYvh.jpg

Further, the game itself would need hooks to drive a mechanism - translating controller input is awful especially when your controller only controls 3 axis at once and, especially evident in a space sim, you're moving across 6 axis at once. Elite dangerous doesn't have any support for driving a motion chair.

Waiting in line for Elite Dangerous now. If I don't get an Oculus station I won't have played a single game all weekend :

*edit* Got to play. Confirms my belief that VR is a gimmick but it was still neat.

Krejlooc

Banned
So, in terms of texas driving, Houston is a hop skip away from San Antonio. And every third Thursday of the month, I hold a developers meeting at a place called TxRx labs that is open to everybody. In addition to facilitating business deals and discussing latest development, we also demo many rift projects every meeting. We have an elite dangerous setup that is just like the one at pax, except it has rudders as well. If anybody can't do the Oculus elite demo at pax, you guys are free to try it at our meeting on February 19th. As a bonus, we are anticipating sixense being at our next meeting (Virtuix was at our last).

Again, open to anybody, absolutely free of charge.

Hylian7

Waited out the near two hour line for Dreadnaught. Honestly, wasn't all that impressive to me. Seems a bit over hyped given the spectacle of the booth. It was just kind of slow and felt like a clunky CoD with space ships. Now granted it wasn't finished and pre-alpha, but still I left not all that impressed by it.

Now Greg Goo, on the other hand, that other game in the Greybox booth, was awesome. I won a free copy of it in BYOC and got to play a tournament of it. My team placed second. I'm honestly surprised this game didn't get more press, it's a great traditional RTS, and the goo is easily the most unique faction I have seen in an RTS.

Anyway, I'm in line for the bad games panel, then hitting the road.

Top Bottom