• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

$200 minimum. $200-250 average. Maybe a little more with mods. Actual card is built in the later models (unlike the first system). Region-free is a little simpler...maybe a $1 additional value if it is done for you.

But you should be able to find one in J-land for $150 or cheaper...might have to do a little work on it though.

Perfect, looking to grab one when I am back in Japan in 3 weeks. Have about $1500 budget for all the game stuff, got to decide if it is worth it.

IrishNinja

Is it just me, or have Japanese Hucards gone up alot in price?

which ones in particular? i just bought a handful of US ones on the rise (Devil's Crush, Ninja Spirit, Splatterhouse) but Bomberman '93 & some other JP ones are still fairly cheap for me.

what sucks is no one's got Die Hard up for auction, and i really want that one but not for BIN prices which are dumb

Teknoman

which ones in particular? i just bought a handful of US ones on the rise (Devil's Crush, Ninja Spirit, Splatterhouse) but Bomberman '93 & some other JP ones are still fairly cheap for me.

what sucks is no one's got Die Hard up for auction, and i really want that one but not for BIN prices which are dumb

Super Star Soldier, New Adventure Island, and Soldier Blade, which I guess is rarer than I thought? Maybe i've never really looked at the prices, and just had them on my list from checking out opinions / reviews.

Yes Boss!

Super Star Soldier, New Adventure Island, and Soldier Blade, which I guess is rarer than I thought? Maybe i've never really looked at the prices, and just had them on my list from checking out opinions / reviews.

Those are the shooters...those are always going to be 3000 yen or more.

lvlzero

Banned
99UsB9j.jpg

Picked up these, some for requests :)

After finding Kyukyoku Tiger today, this is my remaining wishlist:

HuCards:
Burning Angels
Hatris
Jackie Chan
Shubibinman
Valkyrie No Densetsu

CD:
Gate Of Thunder
Mugen Senshi Valis
Shubibinman 3
Winds Of Thunder

I saw a copy of Sapphire today for 25,000 Yen (about $250) but I deleted it from my wishlist regardless.
Too expensive, I'll just get the PSP version if I can find it.

Yes, Soldier Blade.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Soldier_(series)

From what I gather on SS games on PCE:
Soldier Blade > Super Start Soldier > Final Soldier

Thanks for the hint!
Although it seems that Super Star Soldier is a bit expensive, I saw a copy earlier today in Akihabara at more than 4000 Yen :/

EDIT: There is also a parody game:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Parodier

Nice!

99UsB9j.jpg

Picked up these, some for requests :)

Those are amazing prices indeed.
As soon as I'm done with this exam on the 31st I think I'll come visit! :p

biocat

Lol. I guess I should've bought Magical Chase when regularly went for $200-$300. I like checking this thread but my pce collecting days are pretty much over.

I have large boxes of mostly jp releases I collected during the late 90s and early 2000s. I'm not even sure what I have.

The only release I'm kind of pining for is Kaze Kiri. One day I should really buy that.

Yes Boss!

....@#$%

see that's what makes me think i'm gonna buy this AC and still have the same issue/need to open this thing up and mess with it. the seller insisted this voltage was fine, its just a guy on PCengineFX making me think otherwise.

crap now he's saying i need 9 volts and 1000 mA/1A which i don't even see on the radio shack page

*edit we are literally using the exact same PSU there, just checked mine

Got the Retrogamecave adapter in.

Zee-Row

Banned
Games on PC Engine always seemed to sound and look better than Mega Drive games. I wonder why Mega Drive games had such a pathetic color pallet compared to SNES and PC Engine?

I actually owned this thing back in the day.

I still have fonds memories of playing titles like Bonk and Ys Book 1 and 2 on it.

Yes Boss!

Games on PC Engine always seemed to sound and look better than Mega Drive games. I wonder why Mega Drive games had such a pathetic color pallet compared to SNES and PC Engine?

I think it mostly has to do with just how many colors can be displayed at once. SNES and PCE just having the ability to do more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_palettes

Personally, I've had to reassess my stance on Genesis/MD games. With modern upscalers and RGB-output I'm really beginning to appreciate the MD's look. I think it was really hampered at release with bad composite and RF. Genesis was a pretty low-rent system at release. Not much is going to help the MDs sound, though. It was shitty then and is still shitty today.

Teknoman

Ys IV for 5 bucks? Wow I should have asked to find that. Too bad there isnt a way to put the translation on the disc itself.

baphomet

So I ended up getting the tg-16 and splatter house for $40. Big mistake. Taking it apart to put a av/svideo/rgb mod as soon as I get the case open, literally half the heat sink had rusted into nothing. I carefully remove what's left and the board didn't look any better. Rust everywhere and corrosion over all the chips. I spent a few hours recapping, cleaning, and reattaching the chips. Wired up just the composite video to test, and of course I got nothing.

I snapped the board in two and threw every bit of it in the garbage.

Teknoman

So I ended up getting the tg-16 and splatter house for $40. Big mistake. Taking it apart to put a av/svideo/rgb mod as soon as I get the case open, literally half the heat sink had rusted into nothing. I carefully remove what's left and the board didn't look any better. Rust everywhere and corrosion over all the chips. I spent a few hours recapping, cleaning, and reattaching the chips. Wired up just the composite video to test, and of course I got nothing.

Damn...my condolences...

There wasnt any way to return it, or was the deal one of those "as is" sales?

IrishNinja

fuck that sucks baphomet, sorry to hear it man...yeah, was just about to ask Tekno's question! if it's any consolation, Splatterhouse is usually north of $20 by itself...

woodypop

Man, sorry to hear about your misfortune. That sucks.

I had a similar thing happen to me a couple years back. Picked up my first TG-16 at a garage sale. Took it home and booted up the baseball game it came with, and the colors looked kinda wonky. I later got to test a different game, and ascertained the system wasn't displaying a color (I think it was red, or black, or something). It was pretty cheap, like $20, so I wasn't out much. Have no idea how to fix it, so it sits neglected in the garage. (Eventually acquired 2 working units, so all's well.)

baphomet

Could have been worse I suppose. The contacts on splatterhouse were barely there after I cleaned it off. Otherwise I would of at least kept that and sold it to try and ease some of the loss. I really should have just put both up on eBay as non working as is and maybe could have gotten a few bucks that way. At least the controller is in good condition I guess, lol. I'm just going to save up for a system from doujindance more than likely. Maybe a few more months. I've got a 1 slot mvs board on the way which I'll get to mess around with.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Ouch. I once purchased a TG-16 on Ebay as-is for $12. They said it wouldn't see Turbochips. When I got it, it turned out there was paper jammed in the card slot, all I had to do was take it out. I need to get a cart now to see if it works (as well as a power supply and controller).

AmyS

Aldynes is one of my fav shmups. It's a SuperGrafx exclusive (maybe on PSN in Japan). It's fun, addictive, gets better & better in later stages. Not as popular as Gates of Thunder or Winds/Lords of Thunder, but still awesome in its own right.

lvlzero

Banned
Just scored big!
2oDkl5R.jpg

300yen! LOVE japan. (yes, a cdrom2 unit AND IFU for $3!)

Also i saw, but didnt buy, a Tennokoe 2 as it was 2100y, if anyone heres interested in it though let me know.

Also bought this for 300y
ir9JpP8.jpg

Just scored big!

Also i saw, but didnt buy, a Tennokoe 2 as it was 2100y, if anyone heres interested in it though let me know.

Daaaaamn!! XD

If I were to find one for that price I would lift all restrictions for sure!
Where was it, at the usual Hard Off?

lvlzero

Banned
Daaaaamn!! XD

If I were to find one for that price I would lift all restrictions for sure!
Where was it, at the usual Hard Off?
the hudson addon was my local hard off, the epiclu cheap ifu and cdrom addon were from a new store called wattmann (they seem to be replacing the out of town hard offs lately)

meppi

Just scored big!
2oDkl5R.jpg

I just love that setup! I've got a Duo-R since 2002, but when I had the opportunity to grab a mint condition briefcase setup a couple years ago, I couldn't resist.
The PCE is even modded for RGB and everything.

Older pick taken when I got Doom 64 a little earlier this year.

iAuCEkH7q9Dg9.jpg

lvlzero

Banned
I just love that setup! I've got a Duo-R since 2002, but when I had the opportunity to grab a mint condition briefcase setup a couple years ago, I couldn't resist.
The PCE is even modded for RGB and everything.

Older pick taken when I got Doom 64 a little earlier this year.

iAuCEkH7q9Dg9.jpg
Nice setup!
Needs a big white psx sat in between all that, i got one a while back to play all my jaoanese ps1 and ps2 games, picked up a dterminal to conponent cable for it today, 1080i tourist trophy for the win!

meppi

Nice setup!
Needs a big white psx sat in between all that, i got one a while back to play all my jaoanese ps1 and ps2 games, picked up a dterminal to conponent cable for it today, 1080i tourist trophy for the win!

Hehe, I don't have any room left as it is. And I need to fit a PS4 in there by the end of the year.
But I'm looking to move as soon as I find a nice house that I really like, so who knows. Once I get a bit more space I might finally go for a nice JAMMA cab and maybe even a pinball table. :)

lvlzero

Banned
No I haven't. Would you recommend them?

my case is a bit different as i live in japan so shipping isnt really an issue price wise, i would guess shipping might be expensive or sellers not wanting to ship internationally in some cases but other than that its okay, admittedly though ive only bought a car from there so far, a Celica TA23

I think it mostly has to do with just how many colors can be displayed at once. SNES and PCE just having the ability to do more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_palettes

Personally, I've had to reassess my stance on Genesis/MD games. With modern upscalers and RGB-output I'm really beginning to appreciate the MD's look. I think it was really hampered at release with bad composite and RF. Genesis was a pretty low-rent system at release. Not much is going to help the MDs sound, though. It was shitty then and is still shitty today.

This. I can't agree enough. I didn't have much exposure to Genesis as a kid and decided to get one recently and holyfuckingball the sound is so terrible. I bought it for Atomic Robo Kid (because MD ver. is a lot cheaper than PC Engine ver.) and man, this is the first time ever in 25 years of gaming that I have to reduce sound because I can't stand it. The bass is entirely missing, treble is too loud and shooting effects are off. I bought other games too and even though the sound is not as bad as ARK it is still horrible.

This. I can't agree enough. I didn't have much exposure to Genesis as a kid and decided to get one recently and holyfuckingball the sound is so terrible. I bought it for Atomic Robo Kid (because MD ver. is a lot cheaper than PC Engine ver.) and man, this is the first time ever in 25 years of gaming that I have to reduce sound because I can't stand it. The bass is entirely missing, treble is too loud and shooting effects are off. I bought other games too and even though the sound is not as bad as ARK it is still horrible.

Good Genesis music can be really amazing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXfX4B3v9SM&list=PLA9D5DD7C356A0556

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFGezCYPhl8

Bio-Hazard?

Really? I'll trust you on that as I can't really listen to much Genesis stuff without hearing the awful. Usually the sound effects kill any type of soundtracks.

When I first heard Bio Hazard Battle tracks like the one I linked above or this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oInjf0-talM I was really impressed, I didn't even think the Genesis could do music that good... really, really impressive stuff. Adventures of Batman & Robin is probably even better, but Jesper Kyd was a great chiptune composer, clearly (he did Adventures of Batman & Robin).

Seriously, I have no idea what "awful" you're talking about (sure, SNES games on average sound better than Genesis games, but Genesis music certainly isn't always bad), but soundtracks like those show how good composers could get great things out of the Genesis. And as for sound effects, I don't think the Genesis is any different from other consoles of the time in terms of sound/music balance...

As for the Turbografx, it can do decent to good chip music, but definitely not quite as good as the Genesis, I think.

Yes Boss!

Seriously, I have no idea what "awful" you're talking about (sure, SNES games on average sound better than Genesis games, but Genesis music certainly isn't always bad), but soundtracks like those show how good composers could get great things out of the Genesis. And as for sound effects, I don't think the Genesis is any different from other consoles of the time in terms of sound/music balance...

As for the Turbografx, it can do decent to good chip music, but definitely not quite as good as the Genesis, I think.

Turbografx/PC-Engine is likely even worse! I don't think anybody is going to argue that. Just a matter of if you like sharp chip-tune-ish bad or muffled bad.

Of course there are gems in both catalogs. Probably more in the Genesis.

As for awful. It is just a personal thing. An irrational bias on my part. I've never been able to stomach the genesis sound effects/music. I've always felt the entire system was cheap...so much so that after Sega CD, I stopped buying Sega hardware until DC got me back in (and consequently completely missed the Saturn). I'm sure it is a well-loved system but I've already owned it a few times over and I don't really feel the need to get back into it, support it. It is just janky in my eyes. And I'll never warm to the american-produced titles. 16-bit equals japan in my mind. I'm certainly interested in checking out some of the more interesting titles I might have missed back in the day (Alien Storm, Pulseman, some shooters).

Celine

Finally had the time to play seriously to Shubibinman 3.

First all, the game presentation is extremely well done (in-game graphic, music, voice works, cinemas) and it's a bit surprising that's just a CDrom^2 title and not Super CD.
This is a fun action game with some variety in the levels albeit the whole experience is on the easy side (you'll probably complete it on your first or second try).
I suppose the main difficulty lies on the hard mode (not really much harder) and in the Access option set to Off (no continue).

So far so good, yet Shubibinman 3 is a big letdown in my eyes.
This is a typical game where its full potential was never really achieved.
The characters physic (the jumping) is quite bad, the collision detection isn't always as tight as you should expect from an action game, the controls sometime are clunky, enemies displacement is simply mindless in most spots and bosses lack good patterns.

If Masaya had put as much attention to detail on the gameplay department as they did on the presentation aspect then we'd be in front to probably the best action game on the system and one of the best on a 16 bit system.
As it is though it's still a pretty enjoyable action game (one of the best 2D sidescrolling action game on the platform) and it's quite cheap too.

Recommended.

EDIT:
Also lol at the in-game omake section:
CD_9D68AE57-052.png

Top Bottom