• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Mzo

I'd say it's around $50-$60 CIC these days, unfortunately. Anything less than that would be a deal.

I don't even want to think about CIB.

Is Doujin Dance still selling modded Duo-Rs? I recently got a bit more room in my personal budget and want to finally get one of his mods. Overall what are the quality on his units? Does he try to use units in good condition/no yellowing? Unfortunately I'll need to wait for one of his units which also has s-video as I'm in the U.S. and don't have access to a compatible SCART RGB display. I also noticed he doesn't always include a mod switch for American Hucards which is another must have if I'm going to get one of his units. Anyways, my U.S. Duo died on me back in 2005 and I have a ton of Turbo/PCE games I want to play again so hoping I can get my Duo-R within the next few months.

Jamix012

Is Doujin Dance still selling modded Duo-Rs? I recently got a bit more room in my personal budget and want to finally get one of his mods. Overall what are the quality on his units? Does he try to use units in good condition/no yellowing? Unfortunately I'll need to wait for one of his units which also has s-video as I'm in the U.S. and don't have access to a compatible SCART RGB display. I also noticed he doesn't always include a mod switch for American Hucards which is another must have if I'm going to get one of his units. Anyways, my U.S. Duo died on me back in 2005 and I have a ton of Turbo/PCE games I want to play again so hoping I can get my Duo-R within the next few months.

He lists the condition of all the units he sells and takes pictures of them. he grades the "yellowing" Might was very slightly yellowed, but it was accounted for in the description.

He lists the condition of all the units he sells and takes pictures of them. he grades the "yellowing" Might was very slightly yellowed, but it was accounted for in the description.

Thanks. Overall how do you like your unit from him? Does yours also have s-video and U.S./Jpn Hucard mod?

Jamix012

Thanks. Overall how do you like your unit from him? Does yours also have s-video and U.S./Jpn Hucard mod?

It has the US/JP HuCard mod and that works fine. I actually don't know about S-Video because I use RGB into an upscaler, and unfortunately I'm away from home so I can't check it for you.

I did have one problem, but it was quickly solved in a weird way. There were these scrolling lines down the screen, which were barely noticeable except on a black screen, but weirdly enough this was fixed by taking the power cable out of a power strip and plugging it directly into the wall.

I seriously need to replace my Duo. I have Bonk games and Konami shmups just screaming to be played and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

It has the US/JP HuCard mod and that works fine. I actually don't know about S-Video because I use RGB into an upscaler, and unfortunately I'm away from home so I can't check it for you.

I did have one problem, but it was quickly solved in a weird way. There were these scrolling lines down the screen, which were barely noticeable except on a black screen, but weirdly enough this was fixed by taking the power cable out of a power strip and plugging it directly into the wall.

Thanks for all the info!

D.Lo

I have a Doujindance Duo RX. It's brilliant. He's peroxided it pure white again, replaced the led with a blue one, and I ordered non-region modded (I have no US games or intention to get any).

Dude is great, can supply his email if you want to ask about availability or whatever.

Apparently the region mod can mess with the Turbo Everdrive if you plan on getting that.

I have a Doujindance Duo RX. It's brilliant. He's peroxided it pure white again, replaced the led with a blue one, and I ordered non-region modded (I have no US games or intention to get any).

Dude is great, can supply his email if you want to ask about availability or whatever.

Apparently the region mod can mess with the Turbo Everdrive if you plan on getting that.

Thanks, yeah if you could PM me his e-mail that'd be great, I may have some specific questions for him. I have no plans at this point for getting an Everdrive.

Mzo

Really? I guess the only one to avoid is the second game?

I wouldn't avoid it. It's probably the worst aside from the Famicom game. I love the cheesy voice acting. Depends on the price, I guess.

Yeah, the last game to be made was the Valis I remake. It has advanced features like actual level design.

Teknoman

i1IKlYofG0s9v.jpg

iRx0wFumu87E9.jpg

The night has been vanquished...

baphomet

Actually can you hook me up with his email please?

D.Lo

What an amazing game.
Yeah among the best games of the era. Right up there with Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island.

I would have lost my mind playing that in 1994. Would basically have cost something like $1500 to import via mail order catalogues back then too!

Dicer

Banned
Yeah among the best games of the era. Right up there with Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island.

I would have lost my mind playing that in 1994. Would basically have cost something like $1500 to import via mail order catalogues back then too!

Ummm no? My drac x cost $75 when it launched

Gunsmithx

forgot to add something to this but are you sure about the everdrive? I heard of this but my buddy has a region modded duo(japan) and he's had no problems with his everdrive, what would be the problem?

Dicer

Banned
I live in Australia and a PCE Duo would have cost $AU1000 to import. I was a huge Castlevania fan and looked into it.

AU get's fucked when it comes to gaming, my apologies and condolences...

forgot to add something to this but are you sure about the everdrive? I heard of this but my buddy has a region modded duo(japan) and he's had no problems with his everdrive, what would be the problem?

Depending on the method used to do the region mod, it will mess with an Everdrive it's a YMMV type situation.

Bog

Junior Ace
So I turned on my Duo-RX over the weekend and my Dracula X and Ys 1+2 saves were gone. Now I'm reading that apparently you have to turn the system on regularly to keep the battery backup charged.

So is it worth grabbing a Tennokoe Bank to back them up from now on? Is that a pretty simple process?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I turned on my Duo-RX over the weekend and my Dracula X and Ys 1+2 saves were gone. Now I'm reading that apparently you have to turn the system on regularly to keep the battery backup charged.

So is it worth grabbing a Tennokoe Bank to back them up from now on? Is that a pretty simple process?

Tennokoe Banks are pretty cheap. Everything is in Japanese but its easy enough to figure out. You have like 3? slots that you can copy data back and forth from. You just move data from the battery backup to one of the slots on the bank and vice versa. You can have multiple games saves stored in a single slot.

Bog

Junior Ace
Tennokoe Banks are pretty cheap. Everything is in Japanese but its easy enough to figure out. You have like 3? slots that you can copy data back and forth from. You just move data from the battery backup to one of the slots on the bank and vice versa. You can have multiple games saves stored in a single slot.

Sounds like I need to grab one. Thanks.

Khaz

I suppose you all guys are aware of this website
https://pceworks.wordpress.com/
They make PCEngineCD reproductions and sell them (when they have stock, which seem very limited), and well, there's obviously a lot of work done in these items. They are marked as repro on the back cover and the disc itself.

Personally it's what I think are reproductions made right. No shoddy work, clearly sold as repro, not trying to pass for the real super expensive deal, with a lot of work in assembling the whole package. And a somewhat high price expected for such low print run.

It's like a new edition by a different publisher, except this one is unofficial.

Bar81

I suppose you all guys are aware of this website
https://pceworks.wordpress.com/
They make PCEngineCD reproductions and sell them (when they have stock, which seem very limited), and well, there's obviously a lot of work done in these items. The current repros they are making are marked as repro on the back cover and the disc itself.

Personally it's what I think are reproductions made right. No shoddy work, clearly sold as repro, not trying to pass for the real super expensive deal, with a lot of work in assembling the whole package. And a somewhat high price expected for such low print run.

It's like a new edition by a different publisher, except this one is unofficial.

FTFY

Mzo

Yeah, their Sapphire repros were a little too good (which I don't mind at all, flood the market and crash the prices IMO) but they did take code that wasn't theirs for Rockman, so that wasn't cool.

Their last two box sets have been great, though. Thumbs up.

Posted in B/S/T as well, but I recently picked up a PCE for a good price. Only catch is no controller. Does anyone have a spare they're willing to sell or trade?

ZealousD

Just bought myself the full DUO-RX package from Doujindance. S-video and RGB modded. Can't wait until it gets here.

I'm not ready to sell quite yet, but I currently have an S-video and region modded briefcase setup that I'd probably want to part with once I get it. Any gaffers interested? Only drawbacks are that it isn't modded for RGB and it doesn't work with the Turbo Everdrive.

ZealousD

I'll think about it. I only need the CDROM2 unit by itself, not the IFU.

I'm looking to get rid of it as a package, really. Don't really want to have an IFU laying around doing nothing.

I was also told that by the guy I bought it from that the troublesome middle gear in the CD-ROM2 was replaced with a brass one. I believe him because it can make some noises when loading, but I've never opened it up to confirm.

rothgar

Just bought myself the full DUO-RX package from Doujindance. S-video and RGB modded. Can't wait until it gets here.

I'm not ready to sell quite yet, but I currently have an S-video and region modded briefcase setup that I'd probably want to part with once I get it. Any gaffers interested? Only drawbacks are that it isn't modded for RGB and it doesn't work with the Turbo Everdrive.

I'm kinda new to the PC-Engine. Why wouldn't the TE work with the briefcase setup?

ZealousD

I'm kinda new to the PC-Engine. Why wouldn't the TE work with the briefcase setup?

It's not the briefcase setup that's the issue, it's the region mod. As I've come to understand it, the Turbo Everdrive has some difficulties with region mods on regular PC Engines. The Everdrive draws slightly more power than a typical HuCard and so a region mod that changes the draw just enough can mess with the Turbo Everdrive's ability to get the power it needs. Basically, when I boot up a game from the Everdrive on my system, I get graphical glitches for about 30 seconds to a minute and then the game will crash.

Some people can get region modded regular PC Engines to work with the Everdrive but it has to be done perfectly and with the Everdrive in mind. Apparently the modder who did mine didn't take it into account. It works with every other HuCard I throw at it, but not the Everdrive.

Mzo

Beat Double Doragon 2: The Revenge today. It plays really well and the cutscenes are super awesome. I'd suggest looking them up.

ZealousD

Does anyone have one of these DIY composite cable for the PC Engine they don't use any more that they would be willing to sell me?

http://www.cgquarterly.com/articles/tg16_cable.htm

I think I had one somewhere but dealing with it was a serious pain in the butt. I saw this eBay seller that created their own little box that seems like it would work a bit better, but I haven't tried it myself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TurboGrafx-..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f90f64a3#viTabs_0

I received a new shipment of PCE games earlier this week, so I figured I'd take another pic of my collection as it is right now. Quite a few "essentials" missing still, I know.

Not pictured: loose Hucards of Final Match Tennis and Fire ProWrestling 3: Legend Bout

Celine

I received a new shipment of PCE games earlier this week, so I figured I'd take another pic of my collection as it is right now. Quite a few "essentials" missing still, I know.

Not pictured: loose Hucards of Final Match Tennis and Fire ProWrestling 3: Legend Bout
Mizubaku Daibouken, nice!

Top Bottom