• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

piggychan

What kind of controller set up is he using?

I've always wanted to play Image Fight PCE, but I've heard both it and the CD-ROM sequel are painfully hard.

First one isn't that difficult just need to learn some patterns especially on the bosses.

That youtuber says he uses a padhacked virtua stick highgrade

320px-VirtuaStickHighGrade.jpg

First one isn't that difficult just need to learn some patterns especially on the bosses.

That youtuber says he uses a padhacked virtua stick highgrade

320px-VirtuaStickHighGrade.jpg

Interesting, thanks.

And good to know about Image Fight, think I will get the Hucard soon, been wanting to play it for awhile.

Beartruck

Just arrived I haven't even tested it yet but it feels ok. Has a "clicky" sound although the base feels and sounds hollow.
Very nice! I'm one of those wierdos who only plays fighting games on a pad (ill stick with my Avenue pad 6), but I imagine thats nice for all the other arcade ports.

Hey PC Engine/TG peoples,

i took my first step today into the world of Turbo Grafx/ PCEngine collecting.
i grabbed a fully recapped and 2 games and got a 20 dollar discount on the handheld.

since it's my first ever, full screen images incoming:
will crosspost in the retro thread.

64fNdmm.png

052V4WOh.png

niWQzLEh.png

yeah, was playing some ninja spirit last night. i can't believe how good of a port it is. these pc engine games rock. i just ordered a 3rd party power supply with the matching voltage for a US turbo express. 7.0v~7.5v, 700mA

i'll grab a few more titles to collect and then get an everdrive to play jyp pc engine games.

i'm eventually going to get a rgb modded duo so i'll prob need an everdrive eventually.

Hey PC Engine/TG peoples,

i took my first step today into the world of Turbo Grafx/ PCEngine collecting.
i grabbed a fully recapped and 2 games and got a 20 dollar discount on the handheld.

since it's my first ever, full screen images incoming:
will crosspost in the retro thread.

Nice pick up on the TE, still a high quality portable and way ahead of its time. Reminds me that I need to get mine recapped and get screen replaced as it's developed two dead pixels.

the one thing i noticed playing last night. the Turbo Express is comfortable to hold.
NO cramped or numb finger sensations i get using my 3ds xl. it's so easy to grip.

Nice pick up on the TE, still a high quality portable and way ahead of its time. Reminds me that I need to get mine recapped and get screen replaced as it's developed two dead pixels.
can you capture and post a shot of the dead pixels on your screen? since i'm a new owner, i'd like to know what to look for =)

the one thing i noticed playing last night. the Turbo Express is comfortable to hold.
NO cramped or numb finger sensations i get using my 3ds xl. it's so easy to grip.

can you capture and post a shot of the dead pixels on your screen? since i'm a new owner, i'd like to know what to look for =)

Sure, I'll try to get a picture posted as soon as I can.

piggychan

great pick ups.

Have a look into Dungeon Explorer and Devil's crush too if they not too expensive.

Dungeon Explorer having what I would describe as that "distinct pc engine sound"

thanks!

pretty excited about the new system and grabbed a few shooters and Legendary Axe II
dHvCfUDh.jpg

Enjoy! Blazing Lazers is one of Compile's best shmups and TG-16 R-TYPE is still the best home port (PSX R/TYPES would obviously win if it didn't have some weird screen cropping issues). Here is a pic of my TE screen, three dead pixels, two above/left and one I just spotted in the lower screen pace directly above the letter "E" in the Express logo. The system only boots a black/green screen now and no sound at all:

MiY0PB9.jpg

great pick ups.

Have a look into Dungeon Explorer and Devil's crush too if they not too expensive.

Dungeon Explorer having what I would describe as that "distinct pc engine sound"
i was looking to buy dungeon explorer today it was 100 at my store with a box.
devils crush was 75 no box but i can't pull the trigger for a pinball game at that price. =) i'd rather get some shumps =)

Enjoy! Blazing Lazers is one of Compile's best shmups and TG-16 R-TYPE is still the best home port (PSX R/TYPES would obviously win if it didn't have some weird screen cropping issues). Here is a pic of my TE screen, three dead pixels, two above/left and one I just spotted in the lower screen pace directly above the letter "E" in the Express logo. The system only boots a black/green screen now and no sound at all:

MiY0PB9.jpg
most screens have one or 2 by now due to the age. it's not too bad. once it's recapped it be good as new.

yeah l love blazing lazers. so good!.
i have psx r-type. it' runs a bit too fast compared to the arcade. yeah i have to play it under scanned on my BVM

piggychan

i was looking to buy dungeon explorer today it was 100 at my store with a box.
devils crush was 75 no box but i can't pull the trigger for a pinball game at that price. =) i'd rather get some shumps =)

Raiden
Dead Moon
Super Star Solider
Soldier Blade
Ordyne
Side Arms
Air Zonk
Cyber Core
Magical Chase
Dragon Spirit
Fantasy Zone
Galaga '90
Psychosis
Sinistron

Might have missed a few turbochip shumps. and a few might hurt your wallet too >.>

Just started Ys Book I & II :)

One of the first games that had such an emotional impact on me.

Conezays

One of the first games that had such an emotional impact on me.

Awesome. Definitely enjoying the music a lot so far, though I doubt that's an original opinion, haha. Just beat the second shrine while my copy of Ys Origin CE arrived :)

Curious how the image quality is on the Turbo Express. Do I need to deplete my bank account further and grab one? Anyone enjoy playing on it versus a PVM, etc.? Cheers.

wondermega

I'm disappointed to see the retro community still in hibernation around here so I thought I'd do my part to try and rekindle a little energy. Specifically for the TG-16/PCE, seeing as how just days ago it has celebrated it's 30-year release in Japan (oh how it pains me to say that!)

Of course, like so many, I wasn't really even aware of it at all until a year or so later, when the US Market began to get wind of a potential release - the PC-Engine was rebranded as the Turbografx-16, and released just shy of two years later in the West.

In my case, the first I'd ever heard of it was back in that 1988 EGM Buyer's Guide (also known as EGM #1), which still sits buried in my closet and held together with scotch tape and staples. I learned about the PCE and the Sega Genesis at the same time thanks to that magazine, and immediately was interested in the latter and not really so much the former. Still, the existence of any kind of home consoles other than what was known to the average teenaged US Gamer - those being the king-of-the-scene NES, and far down the totem pole the Sega Master System and barely-mentionable (at the time) Atari system - was immediately worth some note.

In the year that followed more information started to trickle out, magazines like EGM and Game Player's and such got more prominence as well, and suddenly the future started looking like more than merely "what else was coming out for NES." The numbers game was real, and the 8-bit TG-16 "sounded" inferior to the true 16-bit Genesis. Besides, Sega was sort of king of the arcades (or at the very least, as up there as anyone else at the time). Still, one can only hope to get their hands on one of the next-gen systems in those days (hey, still the case now for many of us). I was still anticipating Genesis.

The Summer of 1989 came. Don't recall how, but I heard about an event in a nearby town where they were going to be demoing the TurboGrafx. I had never seen any kind of public showing of a console before, but it sounded interesting so my friends and I went. It turned out to be a pretty revelatory event - they had the entire US launch lineup playable on a whole bunch of machines, and I shit you not everything looked as good as anything you'd see in the arcades of the day. I was beside myself. Blazing Lasers, Rtype, Moto Roader, Dungeon Explorer, Legendary Axe, Vigilante, and so on and so on. I left the event pretty confounded - I was dead-set on a Genesis but now my faith had been shaken!

The following Thanksgiving, I still nabbed a Genesis - no way could I resist Ghouls n Ghosts, and it did not disappoint - the entire Genesis lineup was a pretty solid match vs what was coming out for Turbo. My friend from a couple of towns over (attended that same event with me) ended up buying the Turbo, and in a few months we traded systems & collections to get to see how the other made out. It was difficult to give it back, the Turbo was amazing (but I knew the Genesis felt like it had more of a future, even in those early days). History proved me right, of course, but that was not something i was ever truly pleased about.

Fast-forward about 20-odd years, and I bought a decent TG-16 setup from a guy at work who was unloading a system with about 30ish games and a (broken, of course) CD Unit. At last I finally got my Turbografx-proper. Still gotta fix the damn CD though.

Happy birthday! I still have great memories of those launch games - R-Type, Legendary Axe, and my favorite Blazing Lasers (name and all). I still love how the unique PCE sound chip sounds, compared to the other systems of the day. I'll treasure that system always-

eXistor

I'm disappointed to see the retro community still in hibernation around here so I thought I'd do my part to try and rekindle a little energy.
Unfortunately this seems to be in vain. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to promote other boards here, but most of the retro guys you're used to seeing here have migrated to retrogameboards. You're more than welcome to join of course.

Top Bottom