• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Yes Boss!

Got my Lords of Thunder in yesterday. Finally finished all my crazy shit at work this morning so will finally be able to sink some time into it.

Holy crap at the game in RGB. I think the PCE is the system that gains the most from RGB. Who knew that this image quality existed in these games 20 years ago. Amazing.

Got my Lords of Thunder in yesterday. Finally finished all my crazy shit at work this morning so will finally be able to sink some time into it.

Holy crap at the game in RGB. I think the PCE is the system that gains the most from RGB. Who knew that this image quality existed in these games 20 years ago. Amazing.
LoT is great!

I think Genesis gains the most from RGB since the composite signal is so ass. The leap is astounding. I guess I need to see PCE in RGB before I make a final call though, lol. Is there a tutorial for getting RGB from an original white PCE? Or maybe a tutorial to RGB mod the Interface Unit?

Yes Boss!

LoT is great!

I think Genesis gains the most from RGB since the composite signal is so ass. The leap is astounding. I guess I need to see PCE in RGB before I make a final call though, lol. Is there a tutorial for getting RGB from an original white PCE? Or maybe a tutorial to RGB mod the Interface Unit?

I've yet to see actual MD games in RGB...other than pretty spot-on VC titles then output through the XRGB.

PCE just completely shines because it has such a crazy colorful palette.

As for OG/Classic PCE and RGB mod it is just he same as the CoreGrafx units since you can tap the very easy expansion bus...or even just tap the chip if needed. You should be able to switch out the actual RCA plug with a DIN-type plug easily without having to any cosmetic case modding.

http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/duorgb.php

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
phew... looking at rebuying a CD player (not sure where mine even is anymore)... omg at those prices... it is really just cheaper to buy a TurboDuo than JUST buy a working CD player attachment... kind of pisses me off actually. I have a bunch of CD games from actually back in the day, and a working TG-16.. and no way to play the CDs.. grr...

BigDug13

It also spawned the first portable that I remember that played the same games as the main console. Followed by SEGA Nomad.

gryz

Banned
what is considered the "best" controller? The RX pad seems fine to me but I maybe like the one on my coregrafx a little better

Celine

Very interesting japanese commercial from 1989 about the CD rom rom.
They showed the development for the platform at Hudson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDgEMeubib4&list=WL03297973D3AD9499

Just think about it, at the time hard disks were smaller than the CD storage.

Military Madness has the some of the best Hu music:

http://youtu.be/6S2HpTgFM70
Indeed.

Salamander have some pretty great music as well
Wow, really good.

Soldier Blade OST is awesome too

AmyS

I always considered it 8-Bit+ just as I consider the Neo Geo 16-Bit+. Once thing is for certain, the PC-Engine has a rank-ass 8-Bit sounding music chip. Sound Effects on the system can be rough. Still, PCE is squarely parr of the 16-Bit generation, nobody can disagree with that.

I considered the PCE/TG16 a 16-bit class machine with 8-Bit quality sound. The SuperGrafx was pretty much the same--same CPU with 4x the work RAM, same audio chip, and a 2nd VDP with an additional 64K VRAM.

As for the Neo-Geo, I never thought of it as either "24-Bit" or 16-Bit+ it was just a powerful arcade-class 16-Bit machine. No different than if Capcom had released a CPS-1 console (actually IIRC they did in Japan).

Anyway, I agree overall.

I think of the PCE/TG-16, MD/Genesis, SuperGrafx, Neo-Geo, Super Famicom/SNES, PCE/Turbo Duo and MegaCD/SegaCD as part of the same 16-Bit generation.

Yup tons of fun. Is there any version of Rayxanber that you would say was the best, or would it be worth it to get all 3? I remember some video complaining about the laser sound in one. Think it was Game Sack?

Ah Rayxanber.

I remember playing III at Summer CES in Chicago. If I'm not mistaken only II and III were made for PCE CD/Duo. Part II is easily more difficult than III. Overall I found III to be more fun, and since it's an SCD game, it looks nicer too.

Not 100% certain but I think the original Rayxanber was only made for the Fujitsu FM-Towns computer. I'm not sure if it's compatible with the FM Towns Marty console. Edit: It is.

Instead of fretting over "bits generation", PCE/TG should simply be classified as Generation 4 with GEN/SNES. The whole bit thing gets nebulous once you reach PS1/N64 and later anyway, so I simply prefer the Generation 1-8 designation.

Yes Boss!

Instead of fretting over "bits generation", PCE/TG should simply be classified as Generation 4 with GEN/SNES. The whole bit thing gets nebulous once you reach PS1/N64 and later anyway, so I simply prefer the Generation 1-8 designation.

I can't wrap my head around the numbering system. Easier for me is just:

Atari and Coleco
NES and SMS
TG-16/Genesis/SNES/Jaguar
PS/N64/Saturn
DC/GCN/PS2/XBOX
Wii/360/PS3
Wii U/XB1/PS4

Also, can somebody who speaks japanese let me know what this little flyer says. It was in my Lords of Thunder (the back side of a Hudson Bose speaker ad). I'm just curious if this was the dude who did the music?

Celine

This thread claims another victim :)

inDeZgU.jpg

Got delivered a Duo-R + 2 pads + 1 multitap + 5 games (although the only notable one was Tengai Makyo 2) for 155 euro.
Too bad the multitap seems to be compatible only with the TurboDuo...

Now I'm waiting for the games from Japan.

I've read that the Mega Drive 2 power supply can be used for the PC Engine Duo, is it true?
Nec power brick plus stepdown converter (I'm in Europe) is such a monstrosity.

EDIT:
Speaking about Tengai Makyo 2, the game score by Joe Hisaishi is fantastic.
The game seems pretty good too but not knowing japanese I don't know how to use skills/equipments/items (I've found the protagonist mother in a cave but the boss kicked my ass).

Yes Boss!

Nice Celine! Manji Maru too!

As for power supply I bought a PS One adapter and that one works fine as well. It is a little over 7 volts and 2000 amps. I think the official one is about 10 volts but 7+ runs it well enough.

For power supply, I highly recommend buying from retrogamecave.com. I'm using their power supply for my Duo RX and it works flawlessly.

Fox Mulder

I may still get a PC engine duo at some point, but was able to get a TG16 and a lot of games for a nice price. This is a console I've had zero exposure to, so I can't wait to dig into the library, even if it's just the US games right now.

Teknoman

Still some pretty fun shoot em ups, platformers, and action rpgs to be found. Neutopia series looks cool if you like Zelda.

Bar81

It's ridiculous how botched this amazing console was in the US. Anyhow, I finally completed my Splatterhouse collection earlier today when I was able to snag a complete JP copy to go with parts 2 and 3 on the Mega Drive. It seems that shoot-em-ups and beat-em-ups are the hardest to find in good condition for some reason.

It's ridiculous how botched this amazing console was in the US. Anyhow, I finally completed my Splatterhouse collection earlier today when I was able to snag a complete JP copy to go with parts 2 and 3 on the Mega Drive. It seems that shoot-em-ups and beat-em-ups are the hardest to find in good condition for some reason.

Speaking of Splaterhouse, is there any advantage getting the PCE version over the Arcade original? I was thinking about picking up Splatterhouse (2010) since it's so cheap and has the original trilogy unlockable, but S1 is the Arcade version.

kinggroin

Banned

Or ditch generations altogether and simply refer to individual platforms. Otherwise you invite stupid classifications that are used as fanboy ammo.

And the TG16 and Duo are my most nostalgic consoles ever. They hold a very VERY special place in my heart as they are directly tied to a very special memory of my childhood.

Bar81

Speaking of Splaterhouse, is there any advantage getting the PCE version over the Arcade original? I was thinking about picking up Splatterhouse (2010) since it's so cheap and has the original trilogy unlockable, but S1 is the Arcade version.

That reminds me that I should get it too. Not much difference, but the Arcade is better since the changes in the PCE version are needless and I miss the cleaver. See here for a comparison to T16 version (which had some minor changes versus PCE - red mask, no upside down cross, tombstone, etc.):

http://www.how-to-diy.org/44G8GFiXr...Splatterhouse-[Arcade-vs-Turbo-Grafx-16].html

Bar81

There aren't a ton of great games on the PC Engine, but the ones that are good tend to be really, really good.

I find your lack of faith disturbing. There are a lot of great games on the PCE if you are a shmup fan in particular. Off the top of my head:

Gunhed
Devil Crash
Splatterhouse
Ninja Spirit
Tatsujin
Spriggan
Nexzr
Forgotten Worlds
Kaze Kiri
Rayxanber III
Dracula X

meppi

Love this little system. Always wanted one from back in the day when I saw the games in the French Joypad magazine. But never ever came across one in my country, unlike the Neo Geo, which I actually did find once in one small store that had Last Resort running, which blew my mind back then. :)

Finally got my own Duo-R in 2002 and I've been buying games since then, although I have neglected the system a little in the past few years. At least when it comes to buying more games.

Since I figure you'd all like to see pictures more than a random list of games, and since it certainly enhances the nostalgia factor, I just took these:

This is my current setup downstairs. (The Duo-R is upstairs)
Got the N64 out since I just received Doom 64 last week, which I have been enjoying over the weekend.

iAuCEkH7q9Dg9.jpg

iBJrla6QlBXl4.jpg

i09rARlN9OOe4.jpg

ibmbx07aWPbjJQ.jpg

iMtyEtNXuSi9o.jpg

And as a little bonus. Something I didn't even knew existed until I came across a collector selling his whole collection:

ibz5EdIa6apCbH.jpg

iQyb42yBOw74D.jpg

This issue includes the unreleased game Motteke Tamago. :)

One game that I feel every PC-Engine owner should have and that gets overlooked so much is Goloma Speed. I feel like just how NiGHTS is essential for a Saturn owner, this game should have a place in every PC-Engine collection.
On top of it, it's very cheap as well.

Celine

Finally the games are beginning to arrive from Japan.

Legendary Axe met my expectation.
Very solid presentation for a console game from 1988.
What I really like about it (and seems to be partly missing in the sequel) is the variety of the action.
Every enemy has his own distinct movement set and the level design does a good job to throw at you different challenges.
I was surprised when I fell into a pit and the green brute that jump all over the place actually followed me down there (this in a time when enemy usually exist just in a single screen and respawn like hell).
The power meter concept also favor strategy/precision.
Game is not that hard until zone 3B then it's an instant death galore cause the jump "physics" is a bit strange and there is a lot of jumps to do over waterfalls (with the green imps that try to mess with you).

Finally got my own Duo-R in 2002 and I've been buying games since then, although I have neglected the system a little in the past few years. At least when it comes to buying more games.
Doesn't look like a neglected collection :) (lots of good/expensive games in there)

Goloma Speed seems indeed quite good.

meppi

That's one thing I just don't get though. When PC-Engine games started to arrive on the Virtual Console, you started to hear people moan "oh joy, yet another shmup!".
When a system has this many great entries in such a genre, one should be ecstatic when they are finally being released outside of Japan.

Like I said, I really want to get back into adding to my collection. But I've just spent a lot of money on Japanese 360 games and there's a big box yet to come at the end of next month, so it's gonna be a while before I will actually go though with it I'm afraid.

The only regret I have is that the copy of Sapphire is a bootleg.
But I might rectify that in the next couple of years. ;)

Yes Boss!

Sylphia is kinda pricy. D'you think it is worth it?

I'm really undecided if I'm going to go for a full PCE shooter collection. Still gotta finish my Saturn shmup set. I'll either move on to DC or PCE next. I'm heading back to tokyo next spring and taking $3000 just to spend on shmups. Thinking PCE stuff would eat through that rather quickly.

meppi

Sorry for the late reply. Had the night shift again and thus wasn't home a lot.

I really do like Sylphia, but to be honest, it's not worth the price it's going for these days. €150-200? Nah.
There are much better games that can be had for a fraction of that. It isn't much of a looker either. Gameplay is fun though, even if it's a bit basic.

Would love to go on a shopping spree in Japan myself. :)
Maybe if I win Euromillions tonight.
Heck, I'd probably buy a nice house in the countryside while I'm there if I actually won. ;)

Fox Mulder

They were greedy with all the nickel and diming for features. One controller, rf only, and the controller cord is like 2 feet long. I had to make my own composite cable instead of paying stupid eBay prices for the turbo booster.

I ordered splatterhouse the other day off eBay, can't wait to play it.

Celine

Got delivered BAKUSHŌ YOSHIMOTO NO SHINKIGEKI.
The game is a bizarre platform game released by Hudson Soft in 1994.
As a platform game it is a bit too simple and easy, the game in fact rarely challenge the player (the exception is the fourth stage).
Where Bakusho really shine though is in the presentation department and in the variety of situation it throws at you (one more absurd than the other).
The whole game is a series of running gag which , while deeply rooted in japanese humor, could be appreciated by a foreigner (well it's lowbrow humor...).
Graphics (there are many sprites and animations), sound, voices and music are all excellent.
The replay value is harmed by the fact that it is more focused in to be an experience than a game however there are different paths that the player can choose in the levels and that help a bit.

Overall Bakusho is far from to be a must buy for the system but its weird nature and uniqueness (the japanese quirkness nowadays so missed on consoles) coupled with the low price it can be found render it a fine addition to every PC Engine collection.

Teknoman

I wish Coryoon wasnt so expensive. Also can you play Valkyrie no Densetsu (that was the name right) without much Japanese knowledge? Her appearance in Project X Zone has me interested.

And yeah, Splatterhouse is simple but really fun.

Bar81

Sylphia is kinda pricy. D'you think it is worth it?

Despite being one of the biggest cheerleaders for Sylphia (rumored to be programmed by Compile no less), I would keep it until the near the end unless you find it for a good price. There are many other, more reasonably priced (and better) shmups to acquire before you turn to it.

IrishNinja

I was reluctant too, but it just had to be done. Composite was not cutting it, even with the upscaler.

I got this kit from the girl at Retro Accessories. She did not have them in stock but I emailed her and she let me know when they would go up...they did, and then I ordered. They sold out quick but she will probably put more up. I also had to get a gamebit off of ebay for a few bucks:

http://www.retro-access.com/ourshop...od-kit-with-fully-amped-cable-and-socket.html

Then I followed this guide that came with the cable:

http://cdn-12.create.net/sitefiles/12/8/9/128972/pcergbmod.pdf

Key thing for me was that there was no case modification...and finished product looks identical. The DIN plug was a one for one swap. Amplifier is built into the SCART cable.

Owning a RGB moddd Duo-RX i'm having a hard time enjoying anything that isn't shmups or Chi no Rondo. Why is that? :s

If you buy from doujindance on eBay, he typically mods TurobDuo-Rs with RGB, a region switch, and a new lens.

He usually only sells one at a time though (days apart), so you'll have to constantly check his listing.

crap in a hat; came to this very thread hoping to ask which model i should seek for my setup (same as yes boss! & shining's), just contacted that doujindance guy on ebay cause his sounds like the one to beat. any idea what he asks for such a system?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Didn't own the actual system but played the Soldier shmup series on virtual console.

They have among the best soundtracks in games ever. And Lords of Thunder is just amazing. Forgot I owned those so now I feel like playing 'em :).

Edit: Forgot Dynastic Hero, also really fun. The PC-Engine VC catalog has given me hours of fun

baphomet

I really need to get myself a pc engine. Are there any good places to come across a basic model for a decent price? I actually wouldn't mind a tg-16 as long as I can rgb and region mod it. I just have a feeling that eBay prices are higher than what they can be found for elsewhere, I'm just not sure where.

crap in a hat; came to this very thread hoping to ask which model i should seek for my setup (same as yes boss! & shining's), just contacted that doujindance guy on ebay cause his sounds like the one to beat. any idea what he asks for such a system?

Like $300, I think

Top Bottom