• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gamers can now enjoy Super Mario Odyssey with constant 60fps on the Nintendo Switch emulator, Yuzu

CyberPanda

Banned
The team behind the open source Nintendo Switch emulator, Yuzu, has released a brand new version of it. This new version of Yuzu comes with some significant performance improvements in a number of games. As such, PC gamers can finally enjoy Super Mario Odyssey with constant 60fps.

These latest performance improvements are the result of a new asynchronous GPU emulation. As such, the latest version of Yuzu Canary can run faster pretty much all games. Not only that, but The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening can also boot now.
Thanks to some of our Australian friends and ogniK's work, we have Link's Awakening bootable and in-game in the latest yuzu Canary release!
Don't worry, we're working out the lighting bugs, so stay tuned! pic.twitter.com/J5WrLBgCTT
— yuzu (@yuzuemu) September 20, 2019

Now unfortunately, this emulator has a long way until it can run a wide range of Nintendo Switch games. Bayonetta 2 and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, for instance, are still unplayable. Thankfully, though, PC gamers can use the Nintendo WiiU emulator, CEMU, in order to play these two games.

Yuzu can currently run a few games. PC gamers can already enjoy games like Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Super Mario Maker 2. ONE PIECE: Unlimited World Red Deluxe Edition also runs with 60fps.

Enjoy the following video that shows Super Mario Odyssey running with 60fps on an Intel i7 8700k with an NVIDIA GTX1080Ti!

Vitacat

Mind blown. Holy moly.

I own a bunch of Switch carts, and would be curious to try this at some point. But man, Nintendo is gonna murder any site that hosts game files...

EDIT: good lord, setting up this emulator is complicated. You have to hack into your Switch etc. Not sure if there's an "easier" way (ahem) but not motivated to bother just yet anyway.

Last edited:

Thabass

Can someone please explain to me how Nintendo games are easily and handidly emulated, but Xbox is just...not lol

Tesseract

Banned
1aPbnxsGO7F5jaZj3BZglXzmm8tYpo7CtD34mZNkaLM.jpg

stranno

I kept waiting for this gif to fully load only to realize it's supposed to look like that.
It looks like that, i slowed it down to show each frame.

And its not something you can barely notice, 10 frames stuttering (check 4:32 for example) is definitely something i (and most people) cant hold.

Maybe not an emulator problem, maybe it is just a recording problem, video editing problem, shader compilation, whatever. But thats not smooth at all. And all his videos are the same stupid clickbait over and over and over. r/emulation users dont even post videos from this guy anymore.

Last edited:

WishUWouldTryMe

Neo Member

And its not something you can barely notice, 10 frames stuttering is definitely something i (and most people) cant hold.

Maybe not an emulator problem, maybe it is just a recording problem, video editing problem, whatever. But thats not smooth at all. And all those videos are the same stupid clickbait over and over and over. r/emulation users dont even post videos from this guy anymore.
Yeah I noticed this guy is very click bait-y as well. Surprised his videos get as many likes as they do

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone please explain to me how Nintendo games are easily and handidly emulated, but Xbox is just...not lol
Nintendo games are programmed the same way android games are I believe. They are also not very demanding. Xbox games ran on a modified windows me I believe and was coded differently.

Holammer

Ubermazingly buttery SMOOOOooooooth peformance.

6xO6lnT.gif

This BSoD guy is probably the worst thing that ever happened to emulation, really.

Isn't that because he runs the game with unlocked framerate to show the overhead (hence the Benny Hill speed).

Exentryk

Great news! I much prefer playing on my pc rather than my switch. Great work by the Yuzu team so far and hopefully they can get most games working perfectly.

MagnesG

Banned
More motivation, demand and interest to emulate Nintendo systems/games for some reason, so bigger communities are involved. Just having Pokemon games makes it worth emulating. Doesn't help that their systems' security are poor in the early days.

MagnesG

Banned
Typical, a dirty Irish pirating prick. I hate how cheap my fellow countrymen are.
For me they're never the potential customers of these products anyway, so hey at least that's free marketing. I'm not appreciating any kind of bullshit they spew when Nintendo strikes them though, should at least own it like a damn proud pirate (most of them) and be grateful. Also it's always the fool and blatant ones that get the shit too, they never ever learn I guess.

Mind blown. Holy moly.

I own a bunch of Switch carts, and would be curious to try this at some point. But man, Nintendo is gonna murder any site that hosts game files...

EDIT: good lord, setting up this emulator is complicated. You have to hack into your Switch etc. Not sure if there's an "easier" way (ahem) but not motivated to bother just yet anyway.
That's the official, good boy method.

Awesome.
Now unfortunately, this emulator has a long way until it can run a wide range of Nintendo Switch games. Bayonetta 2 and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, for instance, are still unplayable. Thankfully, though, PC gamers can use the Nintendo WiiU emulator, CEMU, in order to play these two games
I can confirm this. Bayonetta 2 works great with Cemu. Sometimes cutscenes will get out of sync, but a restart fixes that.

Can you estimate how well Breath of the Wild will run (with grass and all details) on an i5-9400 with GTX1060 at 1080p?
Full speed I guess.
I was playing Bayonetta 2 on i7 4770 haswell (4c8t), 8gb of ram and a vega64. It ran at full speed without any issues. Except cutscenes.
So I think you're looking pretty good. Just make sure you're using the latest official build.
I don't know about the grass thing, this isn't a pc game you're running, meaning you can't choose settings like in a normal game. You can have some enhancements in the options tho.

Here's a dude playing on 1080 and he's getting almost 90fps, sometimes even 100.

Last edited:

And its not something you can barely notice, 10 frames stuttering (check 4:32 for example) is definitely something i (and most people) cant hold.

Maybe not an emulator problem, maybe it is just a recording problem, video editing problem, shader compilation, whatever. But thats not smooth at all. And all his videos are the same stupid clickbait over and over and over. r/emulation users dont even post videos from this guy anymore.
Yup, I watched a couple of them acouple of years ago, he cold make one pretty year to cover the advancements and it wolf be enough.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Isn't this emulator pretty much unusable without first dumping the Switch firmware and cartridge encryption keys?
yeah i think you need a switch with specific firmware and you need to get product keys which constantly change.

it's not even worth it right now. a lot of the games run like ass. according to the yuzu site breath of the wild can only get into the menu/intro :messenger_tears_of_joy:

also, this emulator isn't getting the same kind of funding that Cemu got so development is significantly slower. who knows when all the major games will be playable.

Last edited:
Full speed I guess.
I was playing Bayonetta 2 on i7 4770 haswell (4c8t), 8gb of ram and a vega64. It ran at full speed without any issues. Except cutscenes.
So I think you're looking pretty good. Just make sure you're using the latest official build.
Nice, I'll give it a try.

I don't know about the grass thing, this isn't a pc game you're running, meaning you can't choose settings like in a normal game. You can have some enhancements in the options tho.
I remember first versions of CEMU didn't display any grass so I thought they maybe left this "feature" in as an option when your system struggles to achieve full speed.

Top Bottom