• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC games of Fall/Winter 2006 (Or: Why a select few will be broke)

Kabouter

I saw a console and handheld version but no PC version. And while some continue to say it, I don't believe PC gaming to be dead. So here are a few of the good PC titles which are currently slated for Fall/Winter of this year. I did the best I could making the list complete, but if I forgot anything, just mention it in a reply :).

The Guild 2
19891.jpg

Successor to Europa 1400, The Guild 2 hopes to bring economic and social strategy to the next step. This isn't the struggle of nations, but the struggle to create a personal dynasty using any means necessary. The game features an all new 3D engine, simpler interface, and ability to compete for control of five different towns instead of just one like the first title.

Hands down the title I'm most excited about this year, Europa 1400: The Guild was one of the most addictive games I have ever played and offered something that was truly different from other games on the market. The Guild 2 promises to do everything on a larger scale and with more depth to it, I can't wait to get a hold of this game.

Crysis
Crysis06_0329--screenshot_large.jpg

Crysis is a freaking amazing looking game. You want next-gen? This is it. IGN

Neverwinter Nights 2
12_TheDocks_md.jpg

the graphical improvements alone make Neverwinter Nights 2 appealing, and the idea that it should feature a much stronger single-player story (which was one of the original game's weaker sections) has us excited--especially because the folks responsible for making it are also responsible for excellent RPGs such as Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment. Neverwinter Nights was already a great game, and Neverwinter Nights 2 looks to improve upon its predecessor in all regards. Gamespot

Company of Heroes
00002440.jpg

While World War II has been played out in countless videogames, and more specifically a few RTSs, this particular title stood out last E3 thanks to some stunning visuals, advanced AI, and great potential for environmental gameplay. IGN

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
big_img5.jpg

The game looks great, the control scheme is straightforward and robust, and the level of immersion (thanks to Source) looks simply unprecedented due to the interaction of normal, real-world physics and magic. The Arkane Studio guys clearly care about what they're making, and have the skills to make great single-player RPGs. The detail of the various weapons and magical effects didn't hurt either. 1up

Gothic III
september_04.jpg

Gothic III looked pretty impressive again. It's a lesser known and lesser played series here in the states but it definintely warrants some attention from the RPG crowd. It's open-ended gameplay should turn on anyone that was a fan of the recent Oblivion release and even hold some advantages over it. IGN

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
spc4pc007.jpg

So far, the newest Splinter Cell seems to be upholding the positive elements of the series' long-established stealth formula, and it's adding in some new design elements that we hope will keep things fresh. We're still very curious to find out how the purportedly moral decisions in the game will affect your progress, since Ubi reps have implied that what you do will determine what game content you get to experience to some extent. Gamespot

Caesar IV
CaesarIV_screen06_lg.jpg

it looks like Tilted Mill has learned more than a few lessons from Children of the Nile. The game is taking the best element of that game, intelligent citizens, and incorporating it back into classic Impressions-style gameplay. Gamespy

Battlefield 2142
Battlefield-2142-b2-16.jpg

The rather quick impression that we got from playing Battlefield 2142 is that it's a whole lot like Battlefield 2, only with futuristic weapons and vehicles. That's not a bad thing at all, especially since DICE could very easily have messed up its nicely worked formula. Granted, there are a number of cool additions that sets the game apart from said sequel, like the ability to set up custom weapon load outs via a handy drag-and-drop menu, and of course, the new Titan mode, but it took us no time getting used to the vehicles we tried as they mimic the classic Battlefield vehicles in basically all but look.
IGN

Anno 1701/1701 A.D.
ME0000544220_2.jpg

Sunflowers really wanted to make Anno 1701 easy for new players, but deep enough that it is still difficult for the veterans. Thanks to the interface and open-ended gameplay, players can get by without using all the features, but seasoned players can get into the politics and really experience everything the game has to offer. Gamezone

A game I'm actually looking forward quite a lot, as many other Europeans are. The Anno-series for me has always had a certain charm that I can't quite place. And aside from that the gameplay is more than solid and is quite accessible and thus doesn't force me to spend hours just reading manuals. Hopefully this entry in the series will do better in the US than 1602 and 1503 did.

Sid Meier's Railroads!
ss_preview_smrailroadsannounce1.jpg

Following on the success of Pirates! Firaxis is back with another exclamatory title from Sid Meier's past. The new version of Sid Meier's Railroads!, due out this fall, is on display here at E3 and, from what we've seen, the team has taken the good lessons learned from Pirates! and Civilization IV and applied them to recreating the granddaddy of all tycoon games. IGN

I personally loved Railroad Tycoon and anything coming from Sid Meier just has to be good, so I'm looking forward to this title a lot. Hopefully it will receive more of an update to it's gameplay than Pirates! did though.

Medieval 2: Total War
ss_preview_MTW2_09.jpg

Medieval 2: Total War continues to impress not only for its engine but for the gameplay tweaks that have been included in this newest addition to the family. IGN

Armed Assault
armahires040hr.jpg

A spiritual sequel to Operation Flashpoint (Bohemia can't continue the franchise as the rights to OFP are with Codemasters). Armed Assault has the same basic gameplay. Large scale, tactical and realistic combat. However, Armed Assault is set in a modern day world, the campaign will be longer and the map will be quite a bit larger even than in OFP. It's set on a Korean-type island that's split in two between a totalitarian state with Russian weaponry and an American-backed democracy.

World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
world_of_warcraft_the_burning_crusade,1.jpg

More crack for the 6 million addicts, guaranteed to rope in more noobs and lapsed players alike. 1up

Kabouter

Just Cause
Just-Cause_11.jpg

The Settlers II: 10th Anniversary
10442382644486f3af26952.jpg

Flight Simulator X
157ml8mt.jpg

Huxley
huxley_ss01_b.jpg

Sword of the Stars
sos2.jpg

Stronghold Legends
strongholdlegends001.jpg

The Chronicles of Spellborn
ss_preview_the_chronicles_of_spellborn__quarterstone_03.jpg

F.E.A.R. Extraction Point
feeppc006.jpg

Star Trek Legacy
Legacy1.jpg

Stranglehold
l_ps3411_com-PS3_game-39-1.jpg

Age of Empires III: The Warchiefs
ss_texas_1600.jpg

Broken Sword: The Angel of Death
35097_baphometsfluchd.jpg

Tortuga: Two Treasures
tortuga2_4sm.jpg

Agatha Christie: Murder on the Orient Express
4.jpg

Half-Life 2 Episode 2
half-life-2-episode-two-screens-20060608000438977.jpg

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War -- Dark Crusade

205zhc8.jpg

The second expansion to Dawn of War includes all-new, explosive Dawn of War single-player action play, new multiplayer content, and two new playable races including the technologically devastating Tau. In addition to the two new playable races, Dark Crusade will feature an all-new single player campaign centering on the conquest of a "meta-map," with each territory captured giving tangible rewards to the occupying force. Also featured is a greatly expanded multiplayer component and a completely unique economy model for the Necrons.

Unreal Tournament 2007

205zk48.jpg

Built on the Unreal Engine 3, this new entry in the deathmatch competition extravaganza features massively upgraded graphics, modifiability and other gameplay features.

Rahul

The variety of genres in your post is really depressing. What else is there that isn't generic FPS/WW2/Fantasy/RTS/etc?

Bo130

Rahul said:
The variety of genres in your post is really depressing. What else is there that isn't generic FPS/WW2/Fantasy/RTS/etc?

I thought the exact same thing :( Mostly dominated by FPS, RPG and RTS.

border

My guess is that 40% of these games will actually make it to shelves this year.

What else is there that isn't generic FPS/WW2/Fantasy/RTS/etc?
Seems like pretty much every genre is represented aside from fighters, platformers, and racers. Also, I'm relatively sure that "Fantasy" is not a game genre.

Tabula Rasa

206094n.jpg

A massively multiplayer game by former Ultima designers Richard Garriott and Starr Long. Developed from the ground up to be stable, fast and fun, Tabula Rasa represents a refreshing new approach to the design of multiplayer online games. Immerse yourself within a richly-detailed game world featuring beautifully rendered 3D environments, unique alien creatures and characters, and imaginative technorganic fashion and architecture. Tabula Rasa includes fully integrated voice chat and an original, dynamically-mixed soundtrack by recording artist, Chris Vrenna.

Call of Cthulhu: Destiny's End

20608eg.jpg

Destiny's End is a 3rd person Survival Horror game in which the player must guide two co-dependant characters through Cthulhu Mythos inspired encounters and situations. The game is based around the ruined fishing town of Innsmouth, a place destroyed by a government raid in 1928 and subsequently left to fester in ruin.

Kabouter

Rahul said:

Your etc. says it all.
The list has FPS, RTS, Simulation, Adventure, RPG, MMORPG and more.

Joe Molotov

Dead Mountaineer's Hotel

deadmountaineer.jpg

Based on the original story by famous Russian sci-fiction writers Strugatsky Brothers, Inspector Glebsky's Puzzle is a 3D-person quest with point-and-click interface. The game sets itself in a "living world" -- the characters have their own activities in the game world and they won't stand still waiting for player to come even if they have some business with him. Boris Strugatsky (the last surviving brother of the writing duo) collaborated on the game's development.

The Secret Files: Tunguska

tunguska-screens.jpg

This point-and-click adventure game is based on the mysterious Tunguska phenomenon that occurred in July 1908 in which the Siberian region of Tunguska was engulfed in an inferno of flames that turned everything into debris and ashes. This phenomenon remains unexplained to this day. With its unique mysterious setting, spectacular graphics, and innovative puzzles, The Secrets Files: Tunguska sets the stage for intrigue, drama, and a deep conspiracy to uncover.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Rahul said:

What other genres are you looking for? Aside from platformers and 3D, Ninja Gaiden-style action games, you'll find pretty much every other major genre represented (like sports, racing, wargames, simulations, or whatever). Don't forget about the independent PC market, either, which has a whole host of gametypes that consoles don't even touch.

Kabouter

Chairman Yang said:
What other genres are you looking for? Aside from platformers and 3D, Ninja Gaiden-style action games, you'll find pretty much every other major genre represented (like sports, racing, wargames, simulations, or whatever). Don't forget about the independent PC market, either, which has a whole host of gametypes that consoles don't even touch.

Agreed

Because of your avatar and nickname:
Sid really needs to start working on Alpha Centauri II. A name with the Civilization name probably sells more, but Alpha Centauri was so awesome that it deserves a sequel. Especially one with secret project movies in the same style as in the original, and not the 'building wonder movies' like in Civ IV.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Kabouter said:
Agreed

Because of your avatar and nickname:
Sid really needs to start working on Alpha Centauri II. A name with the Civilization name probably sells more, but Alpha Centauri was so awesome that it deserves a sequel. Especially one with secret project movies in the same style as in the original, and not the 'building wonder movies' like in Civ IV.

Definitely. My only concern is that Sid Meier wouldn't be up to the task--apparently he didn't do much for the first Alpha Centauri (despite his name being on the box). The real meat of the game design was done by Brian Reynolds and his team, who now comprise Big Huge Games. If they could get the license I'd rather have them do it.

Kabouter

Chairman Yang said:
Definitely. My only concern is that Sid Meier wouldn't be up to the task--apparently he didn't do much for the first Alpha Centauri (despite his name being on the box). The real meat of the game design was done by Brian Reynolds and his team, who now comprise Big Huge Games. If they could get the license I'd rather have them do it.

That's true yeah, although Firaxis' Soren Johnson would be well suited to lead development on a sequel to SMAC. But then again, it's not happening anyway. If I'm not mistaken, the rights for Alpha Centauri are with EA. So if a sequel is made, there's a fair chance it'll be done by an internal EA studio, and I'm REALLY not happy with that thought.

And even if Big Huge got the opportunity, I doubt they'd go for it, Rise of Nations is a pretty succesful franchise that they'll probably want to continue working on.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Meh, other than Ep 2, not a lot to get me excited for PC this year..Id love to get excited for Stronghold legends but after Stronghold 2 was such a bug ridden mess, im not willing to get my hopes up.

Loads of stuff like Stranglehold, Legacy, id rather have on 360.

Maybe its just because im so excited for Supreme Commander everything else on PC doesnt seem getting worked up about.

syllogism

UT2007, The Guild 2, NWN2, Gothic 3, Caesar IV, Anno 1701/1701 A.D. and Medieval 2: Total war are the ones I'm looking forward to (see which one isn't included anymore :( Hopefully the single player will be better than multi). The complaints about the lack of genre variety are hilarious considering the situation on consoles, though most of the potentially good games on that list certainly are first person shooters, strategy games or rpgs.

edit: oh and TEAM FORTRESS 2

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
TheJollyCorner said:
has anyone heard anything on Fallout 3? :(
That one's not coming out for quite some time.

This Fall/Winter is INSANE for releases!

Medieval 2: Total War (Best RTS/TBS series in a LOONG Time)
Crysis (Not coming out however this game will decide what sort of PC I'll get)
Neverwinter Nights 2 (Already planning out mods)
Company of Heroes (The REAL Relic game)
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (I LOVE FPS fantasy games)
Gothic III (Another contender to Oblivion's throne)
Battlefield 2142 (Quake Wars is FAR BETTER but that's not until next year)
Sid Meier's Railroads! (I love sims!)
Half-Life 2 Episode 2 (TEAM FORTRESS 2)
Unreal Tournament 2007 (THE RETURN OF THE KING)
Flight Simulator X (I have no clue but I love flying sims)
Huxley ( I hope it's not awful, looked and played awful at E3)

The other multiplatform games I'll just grab for consoles.

Galdor

Awesome stuff!

Crysis will definitely not be in 2006, but in Q1 2007.

Btw, there is a nice race-game coming out for the PC: GTR2.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Kabouter said:
Sadly moved to 2007, which is why it isn't listed.
CURSES!!

I haven't kept up to date with PC Game release dates at all!

Total War is taking the crown this year, yet again.

golem said:
Conan!
http://community.ageofconan.com/conan/frontend/files/CONTENT/E320062.jpg[img][/QUOTE]Conan is 2007 also.

[QUOTE=jarosh]if you're not into strategy or multiplayer games that's a rather disappointing list :([/QUOTE]Like 90% of those games listed have a single player component.

jarosh

Benadryl Hitman said:
Conan is 2007 also.

Like 90% of those games listed have a single player component.
doesn't help that 70% are strategy games though. i'm not saying that they're bad games. it must be heaven for rts fans. but i'm such an fps and action/adventure bitch that i can't help but feel disappointed. particularly because i LOVE pc gaming.

ok i'm looking forward to:

crysis
fear extraction point
hl2 episode two
call of cthulhu

and these are kinda interesting:

dark messiah (don't know much about it)
neverwinter nights 2 (if it has a good single player mode)
gothic 3 (because i loved oblivion)
agatha christie (dunno, it's an adventure?)
broken sword angel of death (didn't really care for the predecessors but let's see how it turns out)

btw do we have any information about the next sin episode?

Kabouter

jarosh said:
agatha christie (dunno, it's an adventure?)
It is, there is also another Agatha Christie game out right now, based on the And Then There Were None novel, so you can check that out if you want to see if Murder on the Orient Express is something you'd be interested in.

btw do we have any information about the next sin episode?

None yet.
And yes, I agree that actionwise the PC is on it's way back, but then, that's not so strange is it? That's something consoles can do quite well, and thus with the larger userbase of consoles that is where developers concentrate. However for godgame/strategy/adventure fans like me there is no platform like the PC :p.

However for action you could check out:
Field Ops
1151941065.jpg

An RTS/FPS hybrid game, one player controls the game RTS style, the others go at it FPS team-based style.

jarosh

Kabouter said:
It is, there is also another Agatha Christie game out right now, based on the And Then There Were None novel, so you can check that out if you want to see if Murder on the Orient Express is something you'd be interested in.
it got some pretty low scores though. any impressions from your side?

Kabouter said:
None yet.
And yes, I agree that actionwise the PC is on it's way back, but then, that's not so strange is it? That's something consoles can do quite well, and thus with the larger userbase of consoles that is where developers concentrate. However for godgame/strategy/adventure fans like me there is no platform like the PC :p.
yeah. it makes sense. although fpses are still better on the pc. so are fps-stlye rpgs like oblivion and the handful of adventures that are left.

Kabouter

jarosh said:
it got some pretty low scores though. any impressions from your side?
It's allright, but short and it doesn't do anything other games in the genre didn't.
Basically, if you love adventures and want a new one to play, get it. Otherwise, no.
If you're looking for a great adventure, I'd keep my eye on The Secret Files: Tunguska, it's looking to be top notch.

yeah. it makes sense. although fpses are still better on the pc. so are fps-stlye rpgs like oblivion and the handful of adventures that are left.

Yeah, but developers don't care about the better unless it's followed by the word sales.

jarosh

Kabouter said:
It's allright, but short and it doesn't do anything other games in the genre didn't.
Basically, if you love adventures and want a new one to play, get it. Otherwise, no.
If you're looking for a great adventure, I'd keep my eye on The Secret Files: Tunguska, it's looking to be top notch.
wow, that tunguska game looks very nice. why is it not in your list?

Kabouter said:
Yeah, but developers don't care about the better unless it's followed by the word sales.
yeah i know :(

Galdor

Lord of the Rings Online. The first MMORPG I'm interested in. :p

35zm6.jpg

Faces of War. A nice alternative to Company of Heroes .

screen2largeed7.jpg

And Hellgate London, although I'm not sure if this one comes out in 2006.

screen1largepd5.jpg

Kabouter

Azih said:
****ing Pc games. Why is your hardware so goddman expensive and flaky!

PC hardware maintenance = expensive and cumbersome
The games on PC make it sooooo worth it though. So many experiences that aren't to be found on consoles.

Kabouter

Deku said:
Civilization IV Warlords

They finally got a vassal system in.

And to make things even better, they're releasing it this summer, which is great as there currently isn't much else.

siege

Banned
Kabouter said:
And to make things even better, they're releasing it this summer, which is great as there currently isn't much else.

Yep, CivCity:Rome comes out around the same time this month. Apparently it's like the old Impressions line of city builders, but with some Civilization elements thrown in.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Oh for the love of......ARGH!!!

I was just tallying up the expenses on games based on console and handheld purchases (DS is gonna freaking broke me) and I had no idea that so many PC games were slated for release.

I NEED A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom