• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gaming in 2006

Deg

Banned
Super impressed with pc gaming lately. Here's to a killer 2006. :)

New sensible soccer from the original makers? I'm in.

Draft

PC gaming is definitely not dead, and if digital distribution starts to take off, expect the PC to become the platform of choice for smaller or independent developers.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
heheh pc devs sure love war.

Oops didn't see the huge text stating Strategy Games before posting...me am owned.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Draft said:
PC gaming is definitely not dead, and if digital distribution starts to take off, expect the PC to become the platform of choice for smaller or independent developers.
The PC has been the platform of choice for small/indie developers for a looooong time. It is called shareware. Xbox Live's markeplace, however, may be interesting for quite a few.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I'm bowing out of PC gaming. Too fucking expensive. Plus I'm torn as to what my upgrade path should be. SLI, high-end brute force card and all out processor... I'll be content w/ the new breed of console until something on the PC comes out that I just have to have.

Bigfonzie

DaCocoBrova said:
I'm bowing out of PC gaming. Too fucking expensive. Plus I'm torn as to what my upgrade path should be. SLI, high-end brute force card and all out processor... I'll be content w/ the new breed of console until something on the PC comes out that I just have to have.

So you'll upgrade when supreme commander comes out then ;)

Andrew2

Banned
Hitokage said:
When people say PC gaming is dying they mean it's becoming harder to distinguish from Mac gaming. ;)

Take it from a PC gamer, but PC gaming is pretty much dying in reality. Its only when we start getting more variety other than just RTS, D&D-knock-off RPG's and FPS things would be better.

As for what I'm looking forwards to, Rise&Fall, iiMage Knight, Hellgate London and Quake Wars top the list.

I also find this a bit funny:

Titan Quest
A new action-rpg by Brian Sullivan(co-creator of Age of Empires) backed up by ex Papyrus and Turbine guys.

Unless the devs fix what looks like a broken game, I don't see this game getting anywhere.

blackadde

DaCocoBrova said:

you wait for the game you want, then you upgrade. unfortunately about 90% of pc gamers / hardware junkies don't adhere to this rule.

Deg

Banned
I am upgrading for the next Battlefield. I am assuming i will have a 4GB RAM pc with a quad core processor :p

PS3 owners am cry.

Solo

BioShock, Hellgate: London, The Witcher, Quake Wars, Oblivion, and Dragon Age make this easily the most promising year us PC gamers have had in a few, at least since 2002.

Pimpbaa

Hellgate London is mine! Very nice list, lots of RPGs. Although way too many war games. A big FU to the developers who make them and the people who like them (stop ruining pc gaming!).

B E N K E

A lot of those games will never see the light of day. But sure, there is a lot to look forward to in PC gaming. It's only dying in the US you know (well, not dying but decreasing), where I live PC gaming has never been bigger and I think it's the same in many other countries.

These are on my radar: Hellgate London, Rise of Legends, Spore, Star Wars: Empire at War, Metronome (hope they get a publisher), Dragon Age. But there are some others that will probably come into view closer to release.

siege

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
PC gaming in 2006 doesn't look good at all. I can't think of single interesting title. PS3 and X360 FTW.

I find that very hard to believe unless you don't own a computer capable of playing them.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I just brought a new computer for 2006 (click my other thread for details), and hopefully it will be enough to get me through the big hits this year like Oblivion and Bio-shock.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Doom_Bringer said:
PC gaming in 2006 doesn't look good at all. I can't think of single interesting title. PS3 and X360 FTW.
Course the Square fan would state so.

Personally I am looking forward to how the latest MMORPGs go, considering the insane success of WoW.

I have to look up some more stuff on Spore. I've just gotten lazy with PC gaming, since my computer isn't great at all. It barely runs HL2, CS:S, and DOD:S. I need money. :-/

conker

Banned
PS3 games will blow PC games away in 2006
and in 2007
and in 2008.

The end of 2008 is when PC games will catch up.

PC developers have to make sure Joe Schmoe can still play it on his old DELL that's infected with shitware and has an antivirus unning in the background.

And don't forget the upheaval a new windows will cause (Vista), combined with its new graphics bullshit. Are they calling it Direct X 10 yet? Or are they still calling it that retarded name which I can't remember? Oh, and PC sales have been declining every year for the past new years.

PC gaming IS dying.
Graphics are good, but they won't mean shit in the next two years next to the PS3.
And graphics do NOT make a good game.

WWII should be BANNED from gaming for about 10 years

As it stands, the best thing the PC has going for it are RTS games and MMORPGs.

Deg

Banned
conker said:
and in 2007
and in 2008.

PC developers have to make sure Joe Schmoe can still play it on his old DELL that's infected with shitware and has an antivirus unning in the background.

And don't forget the upheaval a new windows will cause (Vista), combined with its new graphics bullshit. Are they calling it Direct X 10 yet? Or are they still calling it that retarded name which I can't remember? Oh, and PC sales have been declining every year for the past new years.

PC gaming IS dying.
Graphics are good, but they won't mean shit in the next two years next to the PS3.

I disagree. PS3 has much to prove against games like BF2 :p

Rise of Legends looks nice.....In fact, looks like my next PC title.

Sun looks like a mix between something from Rome, and a little bit of Ninja Gaiden.

conker said:
and in 2007
and in 2008.

lol, yeah sure

yeah, the developers have to design around adware and malware... [insert rolleyes]

And don't forget the upheaval a new windows will cause (Vista), combined with its new graphics bullshit. Are they calling it Direct X 10 yet? Or are they still calling it that retarded name which I can't remember?

Of course, because new PC games won't run on Win XP at all...

Oh, and PC sales have been declining every year for the past new years.

Hello, the new PC market has been saturated with cheap e-Machines and low priced Dells. Yet, the gaming market and 3D card sales continue to grow every year...

PC gaming IS dying.

Zzz...

I thought you said graphics on PCs wouldn't be good until 2008? That the PS3 would be better looking in 2006?

Whoops!

Sure, they should ban games that there is actually a market for. You must be majoring in business.

Don't forget FPS games! I thought that's what anti-PC people always said was wrong with PC gaming: "All it is is FPS games!"

If someone could make a WWII fps that deviates much from the might-as-well-be-on-rails structure then it'd be great, Brothers In Arms almost had it but it still didn't quite hit the mark. Other than that, it should indeed be banned. I think I'll choke the next time a scenario takes place at St. Mere Eglise.

Deg

Banned
Yeah WW2 fps have been abused to death. They dont even play any different from each other. Whats wrong with making games with scenarios like F.E.A.R? I think that game had great feedback. There are gaps in the fps market.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Indeed, props to the guy who spent the time on that list.

Lots of games there that have my eye, hope that they turn out ok at the end though.

Vieo

The only PC games I'll end up buying in 2006 are Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights 2. I'll probably pick up Tomb Raider Legends and whatever new Tony Hawk games there are if they get PC ports.

I was really, REAAAAAAALLY, hoping to see Diablo III in 2006, but seeing as how WoW expansions are being worked on and no official word has been said about D3, it's not gonna happen.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Doom_Bringer said:
Quake Waaaaaars! How can someone as big a fan of the BF series as you not have an interest in that game?

Borys

Banned
Wow, nice list, Rise of Legends looks awesome.

Doom_Bringer:
you were once a cool guy, now you are an idiot, sorry.

conker

Banned
Please read what I said

PC gaming IS dying.
And graphics do NOT make a good game.\

Read it again maybe.

In the next TWO YEARS.
ie, before 2008!

Which is what I said earlier.
Graphics are good, but in the next two years, the PS3 will have the advantage.
In 2008 they'll catch up.

If you don't believe that the PS3 will have amazing graphics, you're an idiot.
PS3 supports 1920 by 1080 for all fucking games by default and developers will build games FOR that resolution.
PC games support that res (and higher), but they are NOT designed for them (game models are not in all high res, nor are the textures). PC games are designed for 1280 by 1024, and have some extra lighting and eye-candy for the 1600 by 1200 crowd. Anything beyond that is pretty much a waste as you're just seeing more of the same and lsowing yourself down.

Developers DO consider the performance (shitware, windows bloat, other programs, anti virus, old hardware, etc) when designing a game. That's why you can run DOOM3 on a GeForce 4. With a PS3 all they have to worry about is whether or not you HAVE a PS3. With the 360, they have to worry about a HDD.

The move to Vista WILL slow thigns down for developers - Vista has a new graphics API.

When I said the only things the PC has going for it are RTS games and MMORPGs that's what I meant. Those are the last two genres that are really better suited for a PC over a console. FPS games are a dime a dozen, and control is better with dual analog. - A mouse is a POINTING device, not an AIMING device. PCs ARE full of crap FPS titles, and I didn't mention them because so many are simply crap.

As I said, I use my PC for MMORPGs and RTS games.
I'll keep my PC up to date for those games, and once an amazing game comes out that I must have, regardless of the genre, I'll upgrade for that too.
I've got an Athlon 64 3000+ at 125% stock speeds, a gig of ram, a 6800 GT, and I do consider myself a PC gamer.
I'm not afraid to admit, however, that it's been losing it's charm.

Top Bottom