• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gaming Show Thread | Intermission coming up soon [stop posting fake Valve site]

AMD Presents The PC Gaming Show Powered by PC Gamer with Day[9]

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kssio_Aug

PC won E3:
-Final Fantasy VII Remake
-Shenmue 3
-Gears Ultimate
-Killer Instinct
-Street Fighter V

Just "kidding", but PC gamers should be really happy indeed!

Grief.exe

Sunset Overdrive still fits the mold for past games that were ported to PC.

In Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising 3, and Ryse were all third party games where the developer owns the IP, two of which were later proven to be temporary exclusive deals and were ported to PC. Guess we will find out in a few months.

Unstable

To the people that expected Half Life 3. Half Life 3 is dead, I know it, and you know it. Any disappointment from it not being shown is on you.

But lets say it wasn't dead. There's no way it could ever live up to the anticipation and the expectations put upon it.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Went well overall I'd say, especially for a first run. It's laid back and informative. The host really set a good tone for the show.

The thing is for PC, there is no one central authority to plan, rehearse and put it all together coherently unlike Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony, who can summon up their departments/studios at will, have ample time to rehearse and tweak their conference and hit all the key target points. And they still fail at it, look at Nintendo.

Here its just a "can you show up, talk about game X" or "can you show up, announce a new game" or "can you show up, talk about game technology B" etc.
That's a good point. Although Sony and MS do have studios outside of their own at their conferences. PC just needs a bigger budget for their conference probably. Also a few more years to learn from previous years through fan feedback. Solid first year though.

So I guess they just need a bigger cheque from AMD or have Nvidia step up and out-do AMD next year. I dunno.

Accoun

It's a funny GIF, but it's also kind of funny because:

• Didn't Day9 say he tried to argue against wearing the hat, but finally gave in?
  • That part of the show was about a world premiere of a sequel to a game that's very successful and beloved by fans on Steam, with very high ratings. That seems pretty audience-positive to me.

I think it was more of a jab at console manufacturers having that kind of "FOR GAMERS!" pathos (not sure if that's the right word, but hey - not a native speaker) coming off kinda... sterile?

cdyhybrid

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT wrong.

4i66Kn6.png

Please insert 25 cents. Thanks for playing!

zfzBavv.png

BBboy20

They need to have it in a larger stage and sprawled with active PC desktops with demos at the ready.

That would be a start.

Bry0

To the people that expected Half Life 3. Half Life 3 is dead, I know it, and you know it. Any disappointment from it not being shown is on you.

But lets say it wasn't dead. There's no way it could ever live up to the anticipation and the expectations put upon it.

And it is Valve's fault. If they just COMMUNICATED they could have stopped this madness years ago when people were still expecting Episode 3.

Stoze

Lol

Well okay, just came off as a PR robot to me.

He's right though, Day9 is genuinely that estatic about games. I would be too if I streamed and talked about video games for a living, though I wouldn't be able to be nearly as charismatic.

The fuck? They had the guests practically on a revolving door. As was said, if you didn't like that content, that's one thing, but it's certainly not the formats fault. They had a shit ton of developers that wanted to be in on this.

It did drag on though, mainly because even with all those devs Blizzard + AMD took a huge chunk of time, as did Bohemian's games which not everyone is into.

But yeah, PC gaming does not lend itself well to any format that has to pick and choose to come down to a handful of devs because of how much stuff there is on the platform. I think the conference did the best it could with that problem for its first time.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You could possibly lose some press outlets if they did something like this on a cable network right? Have it be an hour long nightly talk show? You could have special guest, internet celebrities, and then maybe a musical guest of a soundtrack to a popular game or something maybe obscure. You could do this same event, but weekly. I'd watch it.

I don't know about losing any press outlets, but a nightly show or a weekly show on a cable or internet service would be interesting. Like a David Letterman PC gamer talk show or something.

Yasae

Banned

I'm not disappointed and never expect it, but it's obvious Valve don't give a flying fuck about it. I mean the best I can say is they didn't announce it too early.

I don't disagree, but that same sentiment can also be aimed at Shenmue 3 and a remake of FF7

Robot Pants

Nah. Kelly Bailey back for a reason.
They Savin it for source 2 and Vr

It's a funny GIF, but it's also kind of funny because:

• Didn't Day9 say he tried to argue against wearing the hat, but finally gave in?
  • That part of the show was about a world premiere of a sequel to a game that's very successful and beloved by fans on Steam, with very high ratings. That seems pretty audience-positive to me.

Just to clarify, I think that it was the best conference because of that. The laid back, actual discussion of games and their developments. And more honest questions about certain developers and their efforts.
The other cons felt like Soviet Army parades, hollow boasts of nebulous achievements and pure sky gazing after emotional manipulation.
Still, it would not surprise me if Day9 gets a gig at one of those next year. The guy carried three hours on his shoulders like a beautiful atlas.

Nzyme32

It's not dead, but they have made it beyond clear that it is years away.

Tabby

Show was really good but mostly because of the host.

If they do it next year they either need to make it shorter or have a break because god damn.

Nzyme32

Just to clarify, I think that it was the best conference because of that. The laid back, actual discussion of games and their developments. And more honest questions about certain developers and their efforts.
The other cons felt like Soviet Army parades, hollow boasts of nebulous achievements and pure sky gazing after emotional manipulation.
Still, it would not surprise me if Day9 gets a gig at one of those next year. The guy carried three hours on his shoulders like a beautiful atlas.

I pretty much agree. The only reason some people are disappointed is because they either didn't get to see games they were interested in or expected more reveals of grandiose proportions and a panoply of faux exclusive nonsense.

In the end with the amount of time they had, the fit a diverse set of games and announcements together in a more laid back and informative manner as promised.

K.Sabot

Valve's not going to show up at a public gaming event until they bury that HL3 hatchet because they don't want to answer questions about HL3.

Sony conference made me want to get a PS4 for the first time (I am a PC Gamer).

If I were a console gamer that just watched the PC conference, I would honestly see no value in what I just saw.

Unstable

And it is Valve's fault. If they just COMMUNICATED they could have stopped this madness years ago when people were still expecting Episode 3.
I mostly agree. I think they didn't want to announce the game until they were ready to ship but obviously they never got to the ready to ship part.

I don't disagree, but that same sentiment can also be aimed at Shenmue 3 and a remake of FF7
Granted, this is the year that dead games come back to life. But it's still unreasonable to expect HL3 to be resurrected as well.

Nah. Kelly Bailey back for a reason.
They Savin it for source 2 and Vr
If they are making HL3 for VR, it's likely that development had to start from scratch.

MDSLKTR

Good conference, nothing exciting and too long, but laid back and with good informative devs talks that seemed to not be stressed being there. Worth it for the introduction montage alone.

Bry0

We asked Valve, yep, but they said they weren't doing E3.

That's unfortunate.
I really feel conflicted about Valve nowadays. I used to love them, but they don't make anything that interests me anymore.
I mean, yeah they run steam and Dota etc. But the "valve doesn't make games" meme exists for a reason.
bleh, I'm salty.

Begaria

One thing I'm disappointed by and kind of baffled at is the absence of XCom 2, a very notable PC exclusive coming this Holiday.

For me this was a good festival of games, really liked it, I hope they just put a "Presented by AMD" before each trailer next year or something, there are better places for showing hardware,

Vodh

Sony conference made me want to get a PS4 for the first time (I am a PC Gamer).

If I were a console gamer that just watched the PC conference, I would honestly see no value in what I just saw.

Fair point, but as a celebration of a platform and a show for PC gamers I think it was great. Cool treat and a way to be included in the gaming holiday that is E3.

Doomshine

Anyone expecting Valve to do anything at this does not have their expectations in check.

It had some problems, but overall I enjoyed the show, nice contrast to the other big bombastic conferences.

Top Bottom