• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gaming Show Thread | Intermission coming up soon [stop posting fake Valve site]

AMD Presents The PC Gaming Show Powered by PC Gamer with Day[9]

Results are only viewable after voting.

Orgun

Just got done watching this and thoroughly enjoyed it, Day9 (who i'd never heard of before) did a fantastic job hosting and it had a great feel all the way through. Very relaxed and off the cuff.

Also, no make-up robot speaches (I think that was one of the EA guys)

dude

dude
From all the conferences I watched this E3, this was the most enjoyable. Felt sincere, fun and low key. Much rather have these kind of shows than bombastic events with robot-men spewing PR drivel.

HowZatOZ

Banned
No HL3 = failure.

I mean, PC gaming finally get's a show and Gabe doesn't announce HL3. lol.

Lucky for PC gaming Half Life 3 isn't as needed as something like The Last Guardian for PS4. It'd be nice, but we have literally a shit ton of games in our catalogue.

Sendou

No HL3 = failure.

I mean, PC gaming finally get's a show and Gabe doesn't announce HL3. lol.

This was an unproven concept. Imagine if the show was complete horseshit (which it luckily wasn't) and they decided to announce HL3 here? That kind of thing affects negatively the announcement itself. Better do a ValveCon or something else you can control.

sprinkles

Just catched up with the show, my highlights:
  • Day9 as Host
  • American Truck Simulator
I loved seeing more Soma and Deus Ex too, but those bits were too short. Overall I liked the format, but more gameplay video during the interview parts would be nice next year.

started watching it live and fell asleep about 40 minutes in ( because I was tired from no sleep, not because of boredom of the show). Finished the rest of it a little while ago and thought it was pretty good. Didn't know who day9 was but I found him pretty likeable right away but at first wasn't sure if his enthusiasm was real or just an act, so did a search to learn about him and was happy to see it was real. The show made me a fan of his and am going to checkout his stuff more often.
Thought the whole show was pretty good ( though disappointed to find out that the ultimate gow was only the first game, I thought he meant it was games 1-3). Anyways I read some of the earlier replies in this thread and I gotta say sometimes I don't understand this board at all..it's like a lot of people had already given up on the show 15 minutes into it...when it barely had even started. A lot of you are really really weird

I think it was a good first showing/try for a PC focused show.

It did run too long though, but I think I know why that happened.

Since this was the first time they'd done this they probably sent out requests to a lot of companies/devs/people, figuring they'd get some people who couldn't make it but at the beginning Day9 said "No one said no".

They probably didn't want to exclude anyone since it's the first time and everyone agreed to being present they figured they'd just give everyone their time on stage.

I have a feeling next year it'll be shorter and a bit more structured. I did like the format though, just devs talking about their games/tech.

Nabs

I really enjoyed the show last night. We got some good announcements and plenty of games we'll be playing before next E3. I just hope they give smaller indies a larger spotlight next year. That one hour pre-show would be a nice place to highlight upcoming indie games.

Denton

Day9 is utterly amazing host and I hope he keeps doing this for many years to come.
I like the relaxed talkshowy concept.
Some stuff was great, some less great, but overall it was pretty cool for a first time event.

Etnos

Banned
From all the conferences I watched this E3, this was the most enjoyable. Felt sincere, fun and low key. Much rather have these kind of shows than bombastic events with robot-men spewing PR drivel.

That AMD segment was a huge comercial thought, talk about PR drivel.

MRORANGE

I was unsure at first but the whole interview couch style was very interesting. Day9 was an absolute legend not because of his charm but for actually putting Phil Spencer and they Day-Z creator on the spot.

It was insanely PC focused, covering a wide a deep demographic of core PC genres which would never be covered in a major E3 show, so one that Deane the whole show was a huge success.

Honestly the show was a breath of fresh air compared to the usual PR shows that E3 produces.

lazygecko

I was unsure at first but the whole interview couch style was very interesting. Day9 was an absolute legend not because of his charm but for actually putting Phil Spencer and they Day-Z creator on the spot.

It was insanely PC focused, covering a wide a deep demographic of core PC genres which would never be covered in a major E3 show, so one that Deane the whole show was a huge success.

Honestly the show was a breath of fresh air compared to the usual PR shows that E3 produces.

I agree with this. So it might even be doing itself a bit of a disservice to tout itself as a conference in the same ballpark as the other companies since that carries with it certain connotaions and expectations. I feel as though it's there on some quest for validation when juxtaposing the PC platform against the console giants, when that really isn't neccessary. The PC gaming landscape and culture is no longer really built in the same way as the console gaming culture where you have these gigantic companies propping up massive hype over years for their $60 products.

Best to figure out a format that properly reflects and resonates with the nature of the modern PC market.

xJavonta

Banned
I didn't like it. Was super rough. I'm gonna get slammed for saying it, I know.

Valve honestly dodged a bullet by not showing up

Compsiox

Banned
I didn't like it. Was super rough. I'm gonna get slammed for saying it, I know.

Valve honestly dodged a bullet by not showing up

If this was the only conference then yeah it would be horrible. But after the 2 days of Megatons it was nice and relaxing while also being entertaining.

BPoole

I actually liked the talk show format of the show as opposed to one or two people standing on a gigantic stage. My only complaint was that it was super long

Morokh

Just watched this and it was pretty amazing, pretty casual, yet not cringeworthy and relatively low on bullshit, I can safely say it was the show of this E3 I enjoyed watching the most.

A bit rough on the egdes sometimes but frankly Day[9] killed it as a host.

RedFyn

That AMD segment was a huge comercial thought, talk about PR drivel.
I actually liked the guy both personality wise and what he talked about. The girl was all product placement/advertising which I wouldn't mind as much if they had had the guy do it. I don't think she was the right person to have present it.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Finally watched what I missed from last night. Overall, a pretty good show. Will make the effort to watch next year's.

Kyougar

Liked the Format, the host and some of the games.

Sadly the whole Paradox showing was just Pillars :/ (fine game btw)

But i needed more HOI4 Info or Vicky 3 announcement!

Wiktor

Liked the Format, the host and some of the games.

Sadly the whole Paradox showing was just Pillars :/ (fine game btw)

But i needed more HOI4 Info or Vicky 3 announcement!

I think as a whole this is a huge problem for this kind of show. Realistically there's no way a PC gaming conference can go like console one..so annoucement after annoucement, new stuff after new stuff. Sony and MS are fighting a war and they're using games to promote their platforms. Nobody on PC side has such stake. PC already won the war and devs are more interested in promoting their games than the platform itself. Because of that it makes zero sense for most of them to do their big annoucements at E3's PC show where they might get lost in the sea of other titles. It's better to announce it individually (in Paradox's case they have their own conference every year). Not to mention that a large number of PC devs are saving up their annoucements for gamescom.

I wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to set the show at gamescom next year

Top Bottom