• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"PC is decimating console, just through price" - Romero

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's okay, I can watch their TLOU movie on my PC. Same shit anyway.

You're the kind of annoying PC gamer which deserves to be ridiculed. It should just be noted as some like to point out fanboys of consoles as if PC is somehow excluded of their fanboys.

Mechazawa

But yes, a new crop of major F2P games are on the way and will probably wind up being pretty influential. Perfect World has scooped up quite a few Western developers including some major names like CliffyB and Robert Bowling.

Eeeeuuuueeeuuuueeehhhh.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
proprietary gaming platforms are going away in general.

we live in a world where people either want state of the art dedicated devices or devices which they can hook up to their established ecosystems with a wide breadth of functionality.

consoles (handheld and set-top) are neither.

tumblr_lda9qpu91Z1qfsk6co1_500.gif
here comes trouble

maneil99

There isn't arguably a single number accurate in that article.
Not to mention they are talking about retailers and physical copies.
Also, BF3 on PC sold comparably to the other platforms. DICE people confirmed it more than once and peaks in concurrent users were pretty close across all them.

What about L4d2. And using concurrent isn't a good idea since the console crowd is factually more likely to own CoD and BF3 and be split between them then the PC version (PC version of Call of Duty never sells well.)

maneil99

Hang on, where did I say all non-console ports are immediately the most popular on PC? Of course games with good PC versions (e.g. a Valve game) could sell better on a console - I don't think I hinted anywhere to suggest otherwise - it wasn't even close to being my argument.

I'm saying the most popular games on PC aren't console ports, nothing more. So quoting numbers at us from publishers who primarily only do console-ports (e.g. EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc) doesn't paint the full picture.

Got you mixed up with someone else, I thought you were complaining about AAA games not giving PC attention even though PC had the most sales. Didn't read enough of the thread

LiquidMetal14

we live in a world where people either want state of the art dedicated devices or devices which they can hook up to their established ecosystems.

Cloud gaming for costs might alleviate some of that cost but let's not mistake the cost of a PC of 500+ vs a set top box like PS3 for half the price. The potency is there due to other factors so it's very difficult to make your statement given PS4's rock solid start which basically shun the point.

Sentenza

A man can dream.
The concept itself is incredibly stupid when you think about it.
It's like being asked to purchase a specific brand of TV to watch a movie or a specific stereo to listen to a song.

The list of games he's worked on in the last 10 years do not inspire much confidence. A Cartoon Network game, some Facebook social game, a Zynga game. I respect the man for his contributions but I don't necessarily agree with what he is saying.

maneil99

we live in a world where people either want state of the art dedicated devices or devices which they can hook up to their established ecosystems with a wide breadth of functionality.

Source please.

Kalnos

Banned
You're the kind of annoying PC gamer which deserves to be ridiculed. It should just be noted as some like to point out fanboys of consoles as if PC is somehow excluded of their fanboys.

It was a joke because their games are said to be so cinematic that they're like movies, get it? Or are you too invested in a platform to see the joke?

Do I need to take a picture of my PS3 and Uncharted copy so that you feel better?

Sentenza

What about L4d2. )
What about L4D2? Outdated facts?
Even ignoring how the original claim was just that "the game surprisingly performed better on consoles" (but they never defined to what extent), that's not even true anymore on the long run.

maneil99

A man can dream.
It's like being asked to purchase a specific brand of TV to watch a movie or a specific stereo to listen to a song.

Uh, maybe because it's easier to sell people a fixed hardware configuration for 6 years and get developers to gain experience then focus on a ton ie Andriod vs iOS. The steam box hasn't done anything and will likely flop. Console sales are higher now vs last gen, yet we still get morons thinking they are dying. It's true people are more willing to upgrade to new phones ect faster, therefor more likely new consoles will come out quicker then last gen but to think they are gonna disappear soon in favor of cloud gaming is unlikely. Unless you are foolish enough to think PC will kill consoles...

I'm talking about third party games in general. 4 separate consoles are each selling at or more then the entire PC market for Ubisoft.

Ubisoft-500x212.png

PC gamers have a wide variety to choose from outside of 3rd party ports. Just go to twitch at any given time and I guarantee the majority of streams you see on the front page (most viewed) are PC only titles.

maneil99

What about L4D2? Outdated facts?
Even ignoring how the original claim was just that "the game surprisingly performed better on consoles" (but they never defined to what extent), that's not even true anymore on the long run.

Prove it's not true please. The only fact is years after L4D's launch the PC version sold worse then the 360 version.

Sentenza

Explain the growth of the PS4/XBO gen compared to ps3/360/wii? .
Let's wait and see if there will be an actual growth.
So far we just have a faster ratio of early adopters, which isn't necessarily a final meter.

Not that this would matter anyway, as I doubt he was referring specifically to modern consoles and most likely looking few years into the future.

Uh, maybe because it's easier to sell people a fixed hardware configuration for 6 years
Maybe, but that doesn't have anything to do with the necessity of making that hardware closed and proprietary.

LiquidMetal14

It was a joke because their games are said to be so cinematic that they're like movies, get it? Or are you too invested in a platform to see the joke?

Do I need to take a picture of my PS3 and Uncharted copy so that you feel better?

Ah, I see. I read what I see. I don't need pictures and your PS3 honor badge. They were your words not mine. Reaction is triggered afterwards.

Late late edit- If you don't want ridicule then bring a more mature opinion instead of a drive by piece and also, I wasn't the only one who called out your post. I tend to not try to say so many extreme things or if I do, I like to articulate why I say what I say.

maneil99

So far we just have a faster ratio of early adopters, which isn't necessarily a final meter.

Not that this would matter anyway, as I doubt he was referring specifically to modern consoles and most likely looking few years into the future.

Maybe, but that doesn't have anything to do with the necessity of making that hardware closed and proprietary.

So you think upgradeable or open source? Open = more of a chance of piracy and hacking, something developers like over consoles. 360 piracy was/is much smaller then PC. Look at the top torrents of both. Over 10x the amount of Dlers

SirNinja

Oh god and he's a Doom designer as well, no doubt still bitter that Halo saved the FPS genre from the mess he created.

I'm not sure which is more delusional: the idea that Romero single-handedly killed the FPS genre, or the idea that Halo single-handedly saved it.

That makes his point all the more moot since over 150 million PS2's were sold, 100+ million wii's, 84m-ish ps3/360 etc, those systems do not evaporate into thin air.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
'Decimating'

He says, as Minecraft console sales overtake that of PC, without even having released on Nintendo Wii.

'Decimating'

lol

Minecraft is just one aspect of a multi-pronged approach in PC gaming, dude.

lexi

Banned
I love how Minecraft is trotted out by the console warriors now. A game that wouldn't exist in your fantasy world of consoles becoming anthropological creatures that give blowjobs to their owners.

Sentenza

So you think upgradeable or what? Open = more of a chance of piracy and hacking, something developers like over consoles. 360 piracy was/is much smaller then PC. Look at the top torrents of both.
Jesus Christ, you are stunning.
Can't you stop spinning facts and moving goals for one single post?
How are torrents relevant now? What piracy has to do with this? Who said a single thing about "upgradeable"?

Nzyme32

Probably important to point out for those who don't know, that Romero does talk a bit OTT. So when he's saying "f2p killed 100s of AAA studios" I imagine he's just trying to make his point rather than be literal.

In any case, I think he's probably right. However I'm sure some game types simply won't translate to f2p without some form of adaptation but I'd guess that there will be people that make it work for each somehow

maneil99

Jesus Christ, you are stunning.
Can't you stop spinning facts and moving goals for one single post?
How are torrents relevant now? What piracy has to do with this? Who said a single thing about "upgradeable"?

You were saying consoles should be open, open source can lead to piracy and hacking as seen with PC and Android.. There are plenty of reasons consoles shouldn't be open and should be proprietary, consoles thrive on the fact they are fixed hardware made by one company.

Corine

So you think upgradeable or open source? Open = more of a chance of piracy and hacking, something developers like over consoles. 360 piracy was/is much smaller then PC. Look at the top torrents of both. Over 10x the amount of Dlers

360 also has a much much much much smaller player base than PC. If 360 had the same amount of players that number would be much much closer. It's easy math.

maneil99

360 also has a much much much much smaller player base than PC. If 360 had the same amount of players that number would be much much closer. It's easy math.

When it comes to people playing games it seems similar
http://bf4stats.com/

Unless PC is 800 million strong that 10x number means more % of PC players torrent then 360, not the mention I used a site that is one of the few sites you can torrent 360 games wheras there are alot more for PC

Frog-fu

Banned
$60 is a huge part of the reason why.

Any publisher trying to peddle their shit for launch price 6 weeks after launch gets laughed out of the room (with a few exceptions).

Look at consoles. Months later and games still cost $60. I'd spend more money if games went down a lot quicker.

Unless PC is 800 million strong that 10x number means more % of PC players torrent then 360, not the mention I used a site that is one of the few sites you can torrent 360 games wheras there are alot more for PC

I remember at launch PC had over 80k players. I'm sure a lot left due to how broken it was and played something else.
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?snr=1_steam_4__110

CS:GO 156k peak today for instance

As someone who is facing the need to invest a few hundred bucks in a new CPU in order to get the performance that I want in the games I play on PC forgive me if this isn't exactly convincing...

(And what sucks is when you're mobo doesn't support newer chips you need to replace the mobo as well. And changed mobo's? Hey look, your ram isn't compatible anymore so need to replace that too.

PC gaming is many things. Fun, easy, gorgeous, customizable. But cheap isn't one of them to me. The initial hardware buy in is costly. Sure it'll even out over the lifetime via steamsales and indie titles on the cheap. But that initial buy in is a bitch, lol.

maneil99

I remember at launch PC had over 80k players. I'm sure a lot left due to how broken it was and played something else.
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?snr=1_steam_4__110

CS:GO 156k peak today for instance

Because only PC players left to play a different game wheras 360 players didn't? Black ops 2 has 160k on PS3 (360 likely has more) as of an hour ago so not sure what that means.
His point was the PC playerbase that play games would change the fact that amount of PC players that torrents games vs 360 is above 1000%.

A man can dream.
ShuheiYoshidaLetHimDream.jpg

You do understand that some franchises exist purely to move proprietary devices and would not exist otherwise. Clearly some people do want closed but affordable platforms.

Corine

Not even close to being right. Hell, LoL has almost as many players than the whole 360 console itself. Just because you link one game that has a similar # of players doesn't mean the platforms do. Plus PC has 30+ years of games to play in many more genres which means the player base is wayyyyyy more spread out than a 7-8 year old console with only a few genres of popular games.

It's very hard to have this discussion without first talking about price/cost of platform choice. Early adopters are a small percentage of console sales over a platforms lifespan, when the consoles are at their most expensive. Most of the sales come when the console drops to around the $300 and under level. Where can you get a PC that can play the same variety of games that a console can for that price? Six months after you buy that PC, you're already probably thinking about upgrading certain aspects of your rig, which add considerable costs to the already steep entry level price. If the counter argument to that is higher game costs on consoles, and I'd argue that PS+ and Xbox Live have really turned things around the last few years on that front.

I've always found the conversation a little odd, seeing as how the PC "master race" loves their arrogant position atop their ivory towers. Price really does factor in a lot more than most people having these conversations tend to mention, and therefore it's hard to take them seriously.

oiifnQh.gif

aeolist

Banned
As someone who is facing the need to invest a few hundred bucks in a new CPU in order to get the performance that I want in the games I play on PC forgive me if this isn't exactly convincing...

(And what sucks is when you're mobo doesn't support newer chips you need to replace the mobo as well. And changed mobo's? Hey look, your ram isn't compatible anymore so need to replace that too.

PC gaming is many things. Fun, easy, gorgeous, customizable. But cheap isn't one of them to me. The initial hardware buy in is costly. Sure it'll even out over the lifetime via steamsales and indie titles on the cheap. But that initial buy in is a bitch, lol.

how long have you had that CPU? because the scenario you're talking about only really occurs when you've been on the same hardware for 4-5 years or you made a poor initial decision

syko de4d

What about L4d2. And using concurrent isn't a good idea since the console crowd is factually more likely to own CoD and BF3 and be split between them then the PC version (PC version of Call of Duty never sells well.)

lol and PC has no other shooters or what? The Playerbase split between different games is a bigger factor for pc.

Sentenza

As someone who is facing the need to invest a few hundred bucks in a new CPU in order to get the performance that I want in the games I play on PC
Can we start trimming the fat and pointing that this is most likely some massive bullshit?
Unless the "performance you want" is some completely unreasonable standard.

ShuheiYoshidaLetHimDream.jpg

You do understand that some franchises exist purely to move proprietary devices
Can you understand that I simply don't give a shit about why they exist and I still would prefer if they didn't, right?

Nzyme32

He's right about the backward compatibility thing, especially with all the HD remasters that are being released which has convinced me the reason there is no backward compatibility in the new consoles was intentional. They didn't want people to be able to play the old games because they wanted to resell those games again. This kind of anti-consumer action will only come back to haunt them later.

But this extends to most things. Its rare for example to see a console allow you to use your old controller even if it uses the same features for the most part. They would of course rather you buy their new shiny one. I think the Wii was one of the few to let you do that in recent memory. As platforms become more closed this approach seems more pronounced

atr0cious

Prove it's not true please. The only fact is years after L4D's launch the PC version sold worse then the 360 version.

What about the fact that the PC side openly revolted against Valve for seeing how easy it was to make money off consoles by making a L4D2 instead of a proper expansion pack like they promised? Sorry we arent quick to throw away money for quick incremental updates.

maneil99

I don't know what 360 players do tbh. I remember when Major Nelson used to post most played games of the week it was always like 4 COD titles, halo, fifa, BF, and minecraft.

That list is a top 10 list, there are other games below that 10 that people would play....

What about the fact that the PC side openly revolted against Valve for seeing how easy it was to make money off consoles by making a L4D2 instead of a proper expansion pack like they promised? Sorry we arent quick to throw away money for quick incremental updates.
How would that change the fact the 360 version outsold the PC one... And how is that relevant at all? MS had a policy where if DLC was too big they forced the dev/pub to charge $ or pay $

lol and PC has no other shooters or what? The Playerbase split between different games is a bigger factor for pc.

If you add up CSGO + BF3/4 it doesn't even beat out the Call of Duty series on PS3

Not even close to being right. Hell, LoL has almost as many players than the whole 360 console itself. Just because you link one game that has a similar # of players doesn't mean the platforms do. Plus PC has 30+ years of games to play in many more genres which means the player base is wayyyyyy more spread out than a 7-8 year old console with only a few genres of popular games.

show me a quote where I said the playerbases were the same, please. Unless there are 800+ million gamers out there on PC then the original point I was making about piracy is still relevant; which was that the amount of downloaders on the top torrents for PC are 1000% higher then 360. Nothing more, nothing less.

Top Bottom