• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Low Settings Screenshot Thread

iGseEFRjxNjR9.jpeg

ixQwAAQeveqtO.jpeg

God damn this brings me back. I used to play WoW on my old thinkpad, all settings at low. 30 FPS most times, 15 to 20 FPS in Stormwind

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just noticed the weapons they are holding in that HL2 shot, say wuuut ?

I had some SMG replacement model active. It's the most detailed thing in the shot.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
God damn this brings me back. I used to play WoW on my old thinkpad, all settings at low. 30 FPS most times, 15 to 20 FPS in Stormwind
Yeah I used to play it on a really crappy laptop. But the one setting I kept on max all the time despite the performance hit was draw distance. That's the one thing I couldn't live without, being on a flying mount and seeing fog everywhere just felt so wrong.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EatChildren has now posted more screens in this thread than the High Res thread.

thought-provoking

This thread was just the reason I needed to dig up my TNT2.

Surprised how good CS:GO looks on the lowest. Do source games still support DX8 and below ? I remember HL2 automatically selected the DX level based on your card, and that had a significant impact on the visuals, is the same true for CS:GO if anyone knows ?

jbueno

Damn, Assassins Creed 2 is ugly and poorly optimized. Not much of a framrate difference from this and everything on high.

iuoo7lLMiyBq0.jpg

iIWKHdz8RFCDk.jpg

Rapstah

Surprised how good CS:GO looks on the lowest. Do source games still support DX8 and below ? I remember HL2 automatically selected the DX level based on your card, and that had a significant impact on the visuals, is the same true for CS:GO if anyone knows ?

HL2 was DX7 minimum at launch. They dropped support of DX7 around when Episode 2 and its improvements came around, meaning DX8 from that point, and Portal 2 required DX9 minimum. I'd guess GO is DX9 minimum too because higher makes no sense with their userbase.

jmdajr

HL2 was DX7 minimum at launch. They dropped support of DX7 around when Episode 2 and its improvements came around, meaning DX8 from that point, and Portal 2 required DX9 minimum. I'd guess GO is DX9 minimum too because higher makes no sense with their userbase.

Wonder what the minimum DX will be for the new consoles. I'm thinking they will skip Directx10 all together.

This thread was just the reason I needed to dig up my TNT2.

That was one hell of a card. When my 9800XT died I had to go back to it and I was surprised at the amount of games that actually ran with it. I was expecting most of them to not even boot.

I still have some screenshots from that.

FIFA "Something"
rM0wf.jpg

Flatout
hhejO.jpg

Half-Life 2
KMLrQ.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
That was one hell of a card. When my 9800XT died I had to go back to it and I was surprised at the amount of games that actually ran with it. I was expecting most of them to not even boot.

I still have some screenshots from that.

FIFA "Something"
rM0wf.jpg
That's PES, dude :p

diffusionx

Gold Member
I beat HL2 on a terrible computer back in the day. It was a Pentium 4 1.3ghz (Williamette, the first really crappy ones, as opposed to the later really crappy ones) and a GeForce FX 5200 (the whole FX line was an abomination, and this was the worst FX). It ran at about 15-25 FPS at 640x480 at low settings, and paused for a second whenever anything physics heavy happened on screen.

It was still kind of fun, though.

zkylon

zkylewd
Of course. Should have been able to tell that from the font, which they are STILL using.
Either that, Peter Brackley or the unlicensed shirts :D

Mount & Blade: Warband (broke the rules a bit but for some reason M&B changed to 1280x1024 after I told it 1280x800...)

ibb02h4w4RBDB5.png

ibewroHPEiKiWX.png

Mustache looks alright.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Love this thread!
Awesome idea too. I'm surprised it wasn't done already?
Holy fuck, unmodded Oblivion at lowest settings is brutal.

http://i.minus.com/iCkjd2Xzt6CrL.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iiTyfruMJh4FF.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Holy crap man!

jmdajr

I remember trying to install a Devil May Cry 4 benchmark on my old Athlon system...

It wouldn't even let me install it. CPU instruction set too limited!

Crysis

I changed it to the lowest res on 4:3 but it didn't stay for some odd reason, just notice the screens are bigger...sorry...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oh god D:
ibkjha8DiJINtg.png

i5AQBKMsVJkMm.png

Are these upscaled from a much lower resolution or something...? If so, I think that's a bit misleading. At native res the jaggies should be pixel-sized, and they're clearly not.

EDIT: Hmm, the text for the ammo and such looks fine, so... does the game actually render the 3D stuff at a lower res and then scale it up to native, like some kind of ultra-low-res mode, or what's going on here?

Metal-Geo

Are these upscaled from a much lower resolution or something...? If so, I think that's a bit misleading. At native res the jaggies should be pixel-sized, and they're clearly not.

EDIT: Hmm, the text for the ammo and such looks fine, so... does the game actually render the 3D stuff at a lower res and then scale it up to native, like some kind of ultra-low-res mode, or what's going on here?
It's an option, I believe. Double pixel it's called? I think?

Top Bottom