• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Low Settings Screenshot Thread

Blizzard

Banned
This thread brings back memories of my crappy 1 GHz laptop and trying to get stuff like HL2 and KOTOR 2 to run on it. KOTOR 2 in particular had some water planet and I think the city area slowed to a CRAWL.

glaurung

Final Fantasy XIV

ffxivlow.jpg

I did not dare press the Play button...

Interesting that at first glance the most obvious difference in the more modern games is in image quality (aliasing, filtering etc). I guess that's a by-product of games being ported from the consoles.

For most games these days, changing the settings hardly make any difference to the graphical quality.

Elginer

My eyes, my beautiful eyes ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

All joking aside, some of these don't look nearly as bad as I thought they would.

Yoritomo

The best part is that you'd be able to play all these on a comfy couch by spending under $400 for a PC the size of a shoebox.

mclem

While it's not quite within the rules of the thread, I have to throw out a mention to the guy who managed to coax Doom 3 into running on two SLI'd Voodoo 2s. Feast your eyes on this:

(Images were already compressed at the source, I'm afraid - this isn't something I can conjure up myself!)

FgNW2.jpg

iSN0V.jpg

isZtR.jpg

Who says you need a flashlight?

(Given the circumstances, that's really not a bad framerate, considering)

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
A friend of mine would love to post some but the resolution requirements are too high.

Woorloog

Banned
While it's not quite within the rules of the thread, I have to throw out a mention to the guy who managed to coax Doom 3 into running on two SLI'd Voodoo 2s. Feast your eyes on this:

http://i.imgur.com/FgNW2.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/iSN0V.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/isZtR.jpg[IMG]

Who says you need a flashlight?[/QUOTE]

Looks more like the original Doom. With horrible 3d graphics.

JoeBoy101

Given the computer 'horsepower' needed to push for high end effects, this is rather interesting to see what games look best at their lowest settings. I'm still a graphics whore, but like mentioned, this can be a really interesting resource for laptops and small box gaming.

Wow at Doom 3. Low HL2 looks loads better, despite both being released at the same time.

So far, Max Payne 3 looking the best, followed by MW3 and Skyrim.

mclem

Given the computer 'horsepower' needed to push for high end effects, this is rather interesting to see what games look best at their lowest settings. I'm still a graphics whore, but like mentioned, this can be a really interesting resource for laptops and small box gaming.

My laptop can just about top 360 visuals, I think, so I'm very interested to see the sorts of things that crop up here. I had to run Alan Wake on medium settings to get a playable framerate, and that was perfectly acceptable.

mclem

Is American Nightmare significantly more demanding than the original? I'm planning to play it soon - maybe after AC: Revelations - and hoping I can play through again on my laptop without it struggling *too* much.

Haunted

Interesting idea for a thread.

Reminds me of the briliant Bioshock on Wii post Crushed made a while back.

i thought this was the console SS thread
was waiting for this lol

To be fair, most of the multiplat games running on consoles are closer to medium than to low in PC setting terms.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is American Nightmare significantly more demanding than the original? I'm planning to play it soon - maybe after AC: Revelations - and hoping I can play through again on my laptop without it struggling *too* much.

No. I'd say it's less demanding, if anything. The setting lead to less flora. I found it performed better than Alan Wake (which itself was very well optimised).

I would really watch out....game ran like shit on my comp (8800) even on low settings....actually used my steam refund on it

Or maybe not. Hmm. Interesting.

Pooya

don't have Alan Wake, can't compare. but for American Nightmare, my performance doesn't change much from max to lowest setting possible, something like 10-15fps difference 0_o , I have a 460.

haikira

Max Payne 3 (1/3)

Came out of Max Payne 3, from taking some shots, to see I've been beaten. But ack well. Variety is never a bad thing. Here's a few extra shots for you guys. =P

maxpayne32012-06-121552yl3.png

maxpayne32012-06-121590a8v.png

Top Bottom