• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC - Mac Wireless Network Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

In the next couple of months I am going to be getting an Apple iBook laptop. I would like to share the internet connection from my PC (my PC is hooked directly to my cable modem).

Would i just be able to buy one of these for my PC:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45001&item=5746629405&rd=1

and then one of these for mac (or just get a laptop with airport extreme):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80060&item=5747059130&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Would that work? Using Windows Internet Connection Sharing or something..?

And how easy would it be? I kinda want to know these things before investing. Thanks!

Lhadatt

It's easier to just get a wireless router (802.11g, that's the fastest). You should have a router anyway, it's just a decent way to stay secure.

Equip the Apple with Airport Extreme. You don't need wireless on the PC, since with a router it won't be broadcasting anything, and chances are the cable modem is right at the PC anyway.

I recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-301-001&depa=5

The Motorola has been nothing but solid in my apartment. The range is very good, so I suspect it will cover just about any residence as long as you can give it a nice, centralized spot. The interface is very easy to use, and it comes out of the box with WPA-PSK, which is the latest encryption/authentication standard you need to use to make sure teh h4x04z aren't looking at your pr0n. This product is a bit more of a firewall than some of the others, so once you learn how to control that side of things, you can block out what you don't want - no worries, and no need for Zone Alarm or Windows Firewall on your PC.

Stay away from the following: D-Link, Netgear, SMC, Belkin, and any wireless router under $50.

Linksys and most likely Buffalo are OK, but more expensive and Linksys sometimes has fewer features. Also, many, many routers at the time WPA hit the scene advertised WPA compatability, but didn't include it in the product! They simply covered their butts on the issue by saying "WPA to be introduced via firmware upgrade next year." Some of those units may still be out on the market - beware!

Another encryption note: You can go WEP too, but it's easily crackable. WEP = not secure if someone who knows what they're doing (aka: ME) finds your network! And yes, networks are EASY to find - most routers/access points are set to broadcast their presence!

I suggest you start googling on how these wireless networks things work. Learn what to do and how you do it before you jump in. And when you do buy into it, for heaven's sake, don't just plug it in and go! Take some time to configure your new toy, before someone decides your access point is their personal playground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom