• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Risgroo

1:13.619
gpler.gif

Booo!

Risgroo

I'm absolutely loving the FF1 mod for Assetto Corsa, and I want to try a few F1 tracks. Is there a decent Istanbul Park mod somewhere?

I've posted this at RaceDepartment under the GSC bug report thread but in the meantime I was wondering if any of you guys have had trouble with the safety car in GSCE.

I was driving Formula Reiza cars and a safety car was deployed and then this happened.

The safety car was intent on driving into the wall in the pitlane and even driving into it with my car it wouldn't deviate off it's course.

I repeated the race and drew out another safety car and it happened again. Haven't had time to check with other tracks and cars.
I've not spent much time in the Formula Reiza, but I tried a few races just now - the AI took each other out a few times, never triggered a safety car...

I've not spent much time in the Formula Reiza, but I tried a few races just now - the AI took each other out a few times, never triggered a safety car...

Have you tried Johannesburg? A few races there should trigger one. I usually set tyre wear to x3 or x4 for a 12 lap race with soft tyres to ensure I need to pit once during the race. I don't think the AI handles that too well.

TJP

Was that an official Porsche car, or just a heavily modified one not unlike a Ruf?
It is a completely seperate car using Porsche sourced parts and for Sector 3, this is a way around the licensing issues with Porsche. A number of people internally asked for Kremer and other Porsche derived cars (e.g. the Dauer 962) to be used rather than hold out for the day EA & Porsche end their deal ;)

I have no idea how accurate Supercars.net is however they have a small section on the car:

After 1980, a customer wanting one of the potent 935 derivatives could go to a company like Fabcar, Joest or Kremer to built up racecar around Porsche-sourced components and design. In America, Fabcar was built several such cars and the 935/84 was the very last version that incorporated all the successful features of the preceding models.

Dave Klym at Fabcar was responsible for the sole 935/84 which was built for Bob Akin Motor Racing. Traits of the new body included a Kremer K4 nose with NACA ducts on the front fenders and a double-window long tail rear end. The original was fabricated in aluminum and when it was done with testing a final fiberglass unit was made.

The actual chassis was sourced from the wreckage of Derek Bell's 935L. Klym worked to revise the suspension pick-up points by utilizing the Kremer K3 front setup and a copy of the Moby Dick rear suspension. Through redesign of layout nearly 100 lbs were taken off the aeroquip lines in the chassis.

The car was finished in time for the 1983 Dayonta 3 Hour Finale and placed second overall behind the March 83G. Later the car contested the Daytona 24 Hours, Sebring 12 Hours, Road Atlanta 500 kms, Riverside 6 Hours and Lime Rock 1 Hour with limited results.

Spookie

Just did a 30 minute race on race room with forced pit stops. Man it's weird how taking a 60 second pit stop can really fuck with your rhythm. I feel like I'm really starting to be more consistent over the last week. Probably because I've stopped treating my sims like glorified hot lapping games. :p

If you guys haven't tried the gt3 content, you should! The Corvette is a beast! :D

If the moon and sun are in the correct alignment later this evening, I may finally have enough free time for an hour's hotlapping!
Stock Car Extreme survey (not Reiza run) from Race Department: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SmcFw893J7PMuTZqp4KUJodBgn9akzr5j7H2hc3Y6ng/viewform Might be worth taking 5 minutes to fill out as Reiza may take a look ;)

Full thread here: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gsce-survey.101155/#post-1938898
Done... but I had trouble choosing a 2nd African circuit after Kyalami. None of the other names meant anything to me, so I had to look them up lol

I'm down to 1.14.6XX after about 30 mins of driving... and wow this circuit is full of so many bugs. 9 times out of 10, if I leave the circuit, I manage to find a collision hole and get stuck, meaning an ESC back to the pits. Kinda wasting the little time I have.

I also, after spinning at the exit of the final corner, I reversed back down the track a bit, trying to give myself a better run onto the straight and was promptly disqualified + given a 47,000,000 credit fine. Oops.

I'll be happy with 1.14.000 though, so back to the fun...

Stock Car Extreme survey (not Reiza run) from Race Department: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SmcFw893J7PMuTZqp4KUJodBgn9akzr5j7H2hc3Y6ng/viewform Might be worth taking 5 minutes to fill out as Reiza may take a look ;)

Full thread here: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gsce-survey.101155/#post-1938898

Hey, cool.

Oculus support, change the name, continue making offbeat content. I trust their judgement on general improvements. Hopefully they'll disregard the inevitable cries for The Ring/GTR/same-old-same-old. GSC players are better than that though. A few more recognizable names wouldn't hurt however, hello Suzuka.

How long will the challange continue for?
I think I might dip in and do a few tries over the weekend..

Through the weekend for sure.

I'm down to 1.14.6XX after about 30 mins of driving... and wow this circuit is full of so many bugs. 9 times out of 10, if I leave the circuit, I manage to find a collision hole and get stuck, meaning an ESC back to the pits. Kinda wasting the little time I have.

I also, after spinning at the exit of the final corner, I reversed back down the track a bit, trying to give myself a better run onto the straight and was promptly disqualified + given a 47,000,000 credit fine. Oops.

I'll be happy with 1.14.000 though, so back to the fun...

I haven't had any problems with Kyalami, but I keep hearing about them however. Good luck on my part I suppose.

I've been having some meta-fun trying to beat my high score for pitlane fines when pulling out.

I'll add your .xx time.

BTW, good track/car selection! I don't think I've driven Kyalami since GPL.

Anyway, 22 laps on the board. I'll try a few more tomorrow evening :)

Megasoum

Banned
Stock Car Extreme, Metalmoro MR18 @ Johannesburg Historic

1. 1:13.619 - Betta Lines (video)
2. 1:13.906 - Tchetil (video)
3. 1:14.093 - Big Takeover (video)
4. 1.14.352 - marvelharvey (pic)
5. 1:14.398 - Arucardo (video)
6. 1:14.413 - Seanspeed (pic)
7. 1:15.487 - Dave_6
8. 1:16.191 - IceCreamKimi (pic)
9. 1:19something - Megasoum

I really need to set a proper time at some point lol (no matter how terrible it is)

Edit: Made a thread for the new pCARS Career video

BTW, good track/car selection! I don't think I've driven Kyalami since GPL.

Anyway, 22 laps on the board. I'll try a few more tomorrow evening :)

I think I'm being undone by some of my GPL techniques to Kyalami. Specifically turn 6 (chicaney thing) where sacrificing the exit for a a straighter blast up the hill used to pay dividends. This GSC car doesn't have any traction issues however, and I think I'm just giving away time by not charging down the hill. (See vid)

I need to peek at the sector times. It's certainly possible I just gave away my secret weapon, and in the hands of the more skilled, I'm now 1sec down. :p

I really need to set a proper time at some point lol (no matter how terrible it is)

Yes you do! Look at that pathetic "something" up there. It's not befitting a gentleman. :p

Megasoum

Banned
I feel like giving rf2 another try after almost a year without playing but just to think that I have to go through all the stupid installation process again...ugh.

Also the fact they put the auto update behind a paywall is fucking stupid.

RaceManIak

Neo Member
I feel like giving rf2 another try after almost a year without playing but just to think that I have to go through all the stupid installation process again...ugh.
Also the fact they put the auto update behind a paywall is fucking stupid.
Keep in mind that rFactor 2 is a software (the new UI this week prove it) and not a plug 'n play game, who need to be customized and learned for really enjoy it.

Megasoum

Banned
Thankfully they realised their stupidity and fixed this a couple of builds ago. Of course, you'll still have to update manually to get the auto-update build though.

Oh!!! Niiiice. Didn't know that!

On another subject... I'm working on the hotlap challenge (down to the 1:18now! yay). I really wish there was a "Reset Car" option. There's so many death traps around the track that if you spin out and get in one of those you have to esc out to the pits.

Edit: All right, that's it for me tonight... Slowly getting there

On another subject... I'm working on the hotlap challenge (down to the 1:18now! yay). I really wish there was a "Reset Car" option. There's so many death traps around the track that if you spin out and get in one of those you have to esc out to the pits.
Indeed. So many holes and invisible walls. I guess the best piece of advice for everyone is "don't crash".
I need to peek at the sector times.
I wish the sector times were more helpful. It's basically 'turn 1', 'everywhere else', 'final corner'

There ya go, Mega. Perfectly respectable time.

I'm thinking rF2 might be the next challenge, so perfect timing.

@marvel Yeah, they suck. I need to fix my rfdynhud install. I only got to use it for a short time before it broke, but I instantly missed it. I need it to cultivate my soopahpowiz, so I can defeat Lord Betta.

Megasoum

Banned
There ya go, Mega. Perfectly respectable time.

I'm thinking rF2 might be the next challenge, so perfect timing.

@marvel Yeah, they suck. I need to fix my rfdynhud install. I only got to use it for a short time before it broke, but I instantly missed it. I need it to cultivate my soopahpowiz, so I can defeat Lord Betta.

So yeah... I just tried rf2.... Yikes... I dunno if I had something set wrong (everything was maxed out in the menu) but the game looked terrible. Hell, I even think that SCE looks better at this point.

The FFB is really really good (it's always been its strong point imo) but both SCE and pCARS are in the same league now so it's not that much of an advantage anymore.

The in game UI is kinda terrible but I guess this is par for the course for an ISI game.

I tried the official Interlagos track and it felt...weird... Like it felt like it had the right proportions but that it was way too small. Either my car was really big or that track is really small lol.

Anyway... Not a great first impression.

I'm glad they finally fixed their launcher (somewhat) and the ingame frontend.

I think there's a shader bug or something at Interlagos and the colours are all over the place.

Try like Lime Rock at 6.00am and post a screenshot from the grid. I know that image well :)

Also, apparently there's a texture filtering bug in the latest build that's affecting some users... But watch isi not bother with a hotfix and leave it in for 6 weeks.

TJP

So yeah... I just tried rf2.... Yikes... I dunno if I had something set wrong (everything was maxed out in the menu) but the game looked terrible. Hell, I even think that SCE looks better at this point.
Something is wrong with either the track or your settings for rF2 - it isn't a looker when compared to CARS, AC or RRE, but it's hardly a busted pie. Here is how rF2 can look when set up (Nurburgring with URD EGT mod):

Taken from: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...nshots-Thread-(Unedited-Screens-Only)/page113

Take a look at the ISI forum (or Race Department) for an idea on what to set the graphics settings to:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/12633-4x-Better-Graphics-and-way-more-FPS-Guide

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-Is-It-Just-Me?p=254714&viewfull=1#post254714

http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...i-rfactor-engine-based-games-beautiful.81468/

rFactor 2 can be a nightmare to setup, but once done, it can offer a blissful sim experience.

Cheers.

Well the hotlap competition finally made me try and setup my wheel again after moving house and to actually post to NG. Ergonomically everything is the wrong place but I'm stuck tha. I've probably done more laps in GSCE since thursday then the few years I've owned it.

Played around with FOV last night and that really helped hit the apexs especically on the second half of the lap. Can anyone explain the why some sims measure vertical not horizontal fov? and which calculator can I use?

Happy to knock a .5 off last night, but know there is plenty of time to be found to go lower than 1:17.581

DQfQqtyl.jpg

(using a LG ultrawide 21:9)

Also does any one get a quiet but high pitch noise in GSCE main menu,? it's as if my monitor is making it but I can also hear it via headphones.

Also does any one get a quiet but high pitch noise in GSCE main menu,? it's as if my monitor is making it but I can also hear it via headphones.

If you have v-sync turned off this could be the cause. If the fps of the main menu is very high video cards can produce coil whine, which produces a high pitched sound which can transfer to other parts of the system especially sound.

Try turning v-sync on just to see if the sound goes away.

TJP

I've been told this is coil whine from the GPU caused by rendering the various menu/setup screens at 1000 fps (or more). You can reduce the coil whine by changing the 'Max Framerate=0' parameter in your .plr file to (as an example) 120.

I await the usual 'but it adds lags' comments ;)

EDIT: Beaten by IceCreamKimi!!

I've been told this is coil whine from the GPU caused by rendering the various menu/setup screens at 1000 fps (or more). You can reduce the coil whine by changing the 'Max Framerate=0' parameter in your .plr file to (as an example) 120.

Yeah but you provided a fix :)

I had heard about coil whine but never experienced before; the 'Max Framerate=120' provided the fix. Thanks :)

Well the hotlap competition finally made me try and setup my wheel again after moving house and to actually post to NG. Ergonomically everything is the wrong place but I'm stuck tha. I've probably done more laps in GSCE since thursday then the few years I've owned it.

Played around with FOV last night and that really helped hit the apexs especically on the second half of the lap. Can anyone explain the why some sims measure vertical not horizontal fov? and which calculator can I use?

(using a LG ultrawide 21:9)

Thanks for hopping in to join the fun.

Me three. I too run a 21:9 LG. It's a great aspect ratio for single screen sim racing.

FOV can make a big difference in comfort, which then translates to speed. I use iRacing's fov calculator for my horizontal sims (built into the software), but I can't quite recall what I used for verticals. A google search should turn up at least a few of them though.

Right now I'm actually running lower than calculated in GSC, and moving the seat back a smidge. It's what's working for me at the moment. I've found that I use the calculated fov as a baseline, and then eyeballing +/- 10˚, seat forward/back depending on the car. Whatever looks good to me on that particular day.

As to why vert or horz? I think the answer is found somewhere in the bowels of the engine's life, and perhaps reflect how monitors were at the time of conception.

Seeing these screenshots reminds me: there's an 2048 hi-res window texture for the car we're using on Race Department (you can see the corner of my pic above... So much crisper than the 512 lo-res version)

Ooo, I'll have to grab that. EDIT: Here it is. With a black surround, it's not that bad, but I'd like it better. I'm sure it's a big improvement on the colored ones.

Just did 5 more laps and improved...

Still plenty more time to be found, but I've barely touched rFactor2 this week, so I think this is my last contribution to the (G)SC challenge.

Well you've just assured an additional contribution from me :)

Reiza batting around some ideas for the future of GSC and beyond over on RD.

Reiza Studios said:
We have ideas, as previously hinted upon of opening up a crowdfunding campaign to boost our budget - this would go into everything, from developing extra content & features for GSC but also (and mainly) beyond it - stuff such as funding for source code licensing & development, car & track licenses for new projects, bringing in more devs to the team as well as boosting the paycheck for the existing ones.

The idea is more towards an "associates club", with a private forum where members would for instance be able to participate in development topics, try out beta builds, get a few souvenirs and even discounts on future products. That could work, but it would require hundreds, if not thousands of contributors (assuming memberships ranging from 10-50 USD) to be a worthwhile venture.

Sounds interesting to me.

Knowing they're essentially roadblocked without the means to get over it, I'm open to anything, but I suspect "thousands of contributors" is going to be tough to drum up.

Top Bottom