• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

fresquito

Thanks Betta.

I've been there for a long time, getting used to whatever the game threw at me. But I think my driving, while not amazing, is good enough. So the next logical step for me seemed to be learning the basics of setups. It's been in the back of my head for a long time now. Finally I found a series of good videos that are also centered in the game I play most at the moment (Project CARS) and I did the jump.

I took a hell lot of notes, took a car, a circuit, and tested default for a while. After that I started applying changes, one at a time. In the end I shaved about 3 seconds. I'm doubtful I would have found those with the default setup or just minor adjustments. Not at least in the same amount of time.

The best thing is how proud I feel about my little shitty setup. It's like I've won a good race :-D

Thanks Betta.

I've been there for a long time, getting used to whatever the game threw at me. But I think my driving, while not amazing, is good enough. So the next logical step for me seemed to be learning the basics of setups. It's been in the back of my head for a long time now. Finally I found a series of good videos that are also centered in the game I play most at the moment (Project CARS) and I did the jump.

I took a hell lot of notes, took a car, a circuit, and tested default for a while. After that I started applying changes, one at a time. In the end I shaved about 3 seconds. I'm doubtful I would have found those with the default setup or just minor adjustments. Not at least in the same amount of time.

The best thing is how proud I feel about my little shitty setup. It's like I've won a good race :-D
It is indeed a rewarding feeling, but it can be more about the journey than the end result. No setup can give you 3 seconds (on an average circuit length), unless the default was so far off being reasonably balanced. I'm sure it was your overall process that allowed you to find that time, not because the car has become fundamentally 3 seconds faster. But the important thing is that you got there, and as you say, you might never have got there without this setup experimentation.

fresquito

It is indeed a rewarding feeling, but it can be more about the journey than the end result. No setup can give you 3 seconds (on an average circuit length), unless the default was so far off being reasonably balanced. I'm sure it was your overall process that allowed you to find that time, not because the car has become fundamentally 3 seconds faster. But the important thing is that you got there, and as you say, you might never have got there without this setup experimentation.
True, it's all part of the same process. That said, the default setup of this car (Oreca 03 LMP2) is indeed awfully bad for this circuit (Sonoma Raceway GP).

My order tends to be

1) gear ratios
2) aerodynamics
3) doing whatever it takes to achieve balanced tyre tempretures, which is usually tyre pressure and toe in/out.
4) shocks, springs, rideheight
5) final gear ratio tweak
6) final tyre temp tweak

However, 99 times out of 100 I drive what I'm given.

Edit: it's important to note that I have no idea what I'm doing

Heh, we all do things very differently I see! There is plenty of methodology on how to order it, but I just do it my way, which is likely to be the wrong way :)

1. Brake bias
2. diff
3. anti-roll bars
4. camber
5. toe
6. tires pressures
7 springs

aero, gearing , yada yada

For sure, which is why you'll find springs and dampers in no man's land for me. No can do.

japbcvpavbzau9dbuaxf.jpg

OK fellas, the return of the hotlap challenge!

0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge!

Caper Stock Car @ Oschersleben

Time Trial mode, Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. TT mode prohibits setups I think... An accompanying screenshot or video would be great, but it's not mandatory. If you've got a really competitive time, it get a little more so though ;-)

Have fun!

---------------

1. 1:27.653 - Betta Lines (video) //
2. 1:27.935 - Revson (pic) // XB1, using controller
3. 1:28.502 - markao // PC
4. 1:28.887 - Big Takeover (video) //auto-clutch only
5. 1:29.925 - The_D (pic) // Wheel/real assists/manual with sequential
6. 1:29.939 - Seanspeed (netherworld) // PC, wheel
7. 13. 1:30:187 - Morabu (video) (pic) // Wheel, Manual w/auto clutch, no assists except ABS
8. 1.30:292 - Arucardo (post) // No assists and clutch+ H shifter
9. 1:30:306 - Dilly (post) // no assist and clutch+G25
10. 1.30.644 - marvelharvey (pic)
11. 1:30.818 - Slirb (pic) // PC - Wheel (DFP) - ABS only
12. 1:31:259 - saladine1 (pic)
13. 1:31:538 - KillerAJD (pic) // T500RS w/no assists aside from auto-clutch
14. 1.31.616 - Jilt (video) // Steering wheel, no assists, use of clutch and H-shifter
15. 1:31.828 - Azzawon (pic) // XB1
16. 1:32.025 - Megasoum (pic) // Wheel, manual transmission/auto clutch,TS/ABS
17. 1:32.036 - TylerDurden4321 (video) ([URL="http://i.imgbox.com/PFYMvAoV.jpg"]pic)[/URL] // XB1, Wheel, no assists (edit: but auto-clutch)
18. 1:32.296 - mil6es (video) // PS4, DS4, ABS,Line Guide
19. 1:32.437 - Dave_6 (pic) // PC
20. 1:32.533 - Brentech (pic) // DS4, Manual/TS/ABS
21. 1:33.083 - soundscream (post) //wheel, no assist
22. 1:33.675 - Flightwave (pic) // Wheel, no assists, automatic
23. 1:33.922 - danowat (video) // PS4, pad, no assists
24. 1:34:01x - _machine (post) // 360 Pad and ABS only
25. 1:34.107 - Gareth Bale (post) // (wheel, PC)
26. 1:36.533 - Anton668 (pic) // Nibs controller setup on PC with a DS4
27. 1:36.959 - Gestault (pic) // PS4, Controller w/ auto-transmission
28. 1:37 "or something" - Mascot // SADISTS!
29. 1:38 "something" - Addnan
30. 1:39.108 - bananafactory (pic) // T100 Wheel, Manual w/auto clutch, no assists
31. 1:41:173 - mitchlol (post) // DFGT - Auto clutch PC
32. 1:42.816 - RP912 (pic) // PC

5h2ok8.gif

You'll see I took the chicane like a shitbag, and it breaks my heart. I know you hoodlums are going to be mowing more than your fair share of grass, so consider it preemptive :) It's legal, sadly. There's more cutting to be had too. Just wagging my index finger isn't going to cut it I'm afraid.

Arucardo

Awww yeah, been waiting for this. Thanks for doing the organizing Big Takeover :) .

I'm fine with both keeping it in here and/or bringing in some people from the OT to get more participants and hopefully more varied times to make it interesting for everyone. I know some of you guys are crazy fast so it would take A LOT of practice to beat your times.

Juicy Bob

Watching the Nurburgring 24 Hours. Thought to myself 'I could run a few laps of the track on GTR Evolution on my laptop while watching this too!'

An hour later and after faffing around with Steam trying to get any of the SimBin games to fucking start I give up. Now I remember why I don't really bother with PC race sims any more.

Watching the Nurburgring 24 Hours. Thought to myself 'I could run a few laps of the track on GTR Evolution on my laptop while watching this too!'

An hour later and after faffing around with Steam trying to get any of the SimBin games to fucking start I give up. Now I remember why I don't really bother with PC race sims any more.
To be fair... if you've always had problems, then returning to the same old sims isn't going to change your mind - have you tried anything newer?

(For what it's worth I don't recall any issues with the old Simbin stuff on Steam, and I've loaded them on several hardware configs over the years, including a laptop.)

Awww yeah, been waiting for this. Thanks for doing the organizing Big Takeover :) .

I'm fine with both keeping it in here and/or bringing in some people from the OT to get more participants and hopefully more varied times to make it interesting for everyone. I know some of you guys are crazy fast so it would take A LOT of practice to beat your times.

My pleasure. I'm glad you dudes like doing the challenges.

I posted over in the pCARS thread looking for ideas on how to do these things cross-plaform. If any of you guys had ideas, that'd be great too. It's not a full cross-post yet, but it will be soon.

_machine

Glad to see Hotlap Challenges back, and what better way to have a break on a work Sunday. I'm definitely going to try for a better lap, but so far with some heavy handed drifting I got a 1:36:085 with a 360 Pad and ABS only. So don't sweat about joining us, I'm sure you'll be faster than me :)

EDIT: Easy seconds still to be shaved, but break is over so I'll leave it at 1:34:01 for now. I can pretty much match Big Takeover through the first corners, but I get very drifty or too slow after that.

Spookie

To be fair you're launching up a game which is almost 7 years old. You can't expect it to be as good out the box as say AC, Raceroom or GSCE.

Ark

Five laps in and I've discovered that my hate for stockcars spans more than just iRacing. I won't be doing this challenge, sorry :p

I am total pCars and sims newcomer, played only some Gran Turismo with a pad before. Bought this game and a wheel about a week ago, tried some slower and veteran cars to get a feel for it, but...

Man! This car is a wild beast for me. This will take some time

I am total pCars and sims newcomer, played only some Gran Turismo with a pad before. Bought this game and a wheel about a week ago, tried some slower and veteran cars to get a feel for it, but...

Man! This car is a wild beast for me. This will take some time

Yeah, I may have overstepped a few people's comfort zones with this beast. I think it's really good fun, but in hindsight, I probably should have had folks dip their toes in first.

I'll change to a new combo quicker than usual if there continues to be complaints about not liking the car.

Sorry about that. Just keep at it!

Ark

Yeah, I may have overstepped a few people's comfort zones with this beast. I think it's really good fun, but in hindsight, I probably should have had folks dip their toes in first.

I'll change to a new combo quicker than usual if there continues to be complaints about not liking the car.

Sorry about that. Just keep at it!

It's no problem, I'm just so used to GT racing that anything with that much torque sends me spinning for days ;)

I really need to branch out with my racing.

I just did a 29.9... but I didn't cut the chicane :p

Are we saying anything the game says is legal goes?

Whatever, dude. Come back when you get gud :p

I don't really know what else to do... I hate it too. The game let's you do whatever you want as long as there's a fraction of tire touching curbing/pavement. It's ugly.

I even kept the rest of my lap "normal" besides the chicane. I'm sure someone will take tons of apex grass, and be quicker doing so.

Jilt

0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge!

Time Trial mode, Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. TT mode prohibits setups I think... An accompanying screenshot or video would be great, but it's not mandatory. If you've got a really competitive time, it get a little more so though ;-)

Have fun!

---------------

1. 1:29.500 - Big Takeover (video) //auto-clutch only
2. 1:34:01 - _machine (post) // 360 Pad and ABS only
3. 1:34.974 - soundscream (post) //wheel, no assist
4 1:36.533 - Anton668 (pic) // Nibs controller setup on PC with a DS4

1.31.616 for me for now. 20 odd laps in and still to be gained, but RESPECT for the 29-ers!! Video uploaded: http://youtu.be/z6GiCxrxtWI
GTHQ_Jilt - 1.31.616 - PC - Steering wheel, no assists, use of clutch and H-shifter

Arucardo

Need to get a lap in the 30's or 29's before I turn in my time :p . To be honest I was definitely cursing you Big Takeover when I first tried this combo, lol, but this is how you get better at sim racing, by getting out of your comfort zone ;) . I'm gonna stick with the clutch + H-shifter for this one.

Megasoum

Banned
So can we just use any rFactor 1 track with GSCE or we need specific mods? The mod selection look a bit limited from what I can find.

Edit: Ok I finally found other sites with more selection.

After a dozen laps my time stands as

--:--:---

Always seem to touch the grass somewhere lol

Edit: 13th lap too. Then pCars crashed to desktop... OK OK I get the hint.

Edit2: And now Steam is down. Yup, better get back to doing some work.

After a dozen laps my time stands as

--:--:---

Always seem to touch the grass somewhere lol

Edit: 13th lap too. Then pCars crashed to desktop... OK OK I get the hint.

Edit2: And now Steam is down. Yup, better get back to doing some work.
Stick with it MH! Once you get a valid time you'll be on the search for green sectors, rather than sticking it in the green stuff ;)

Arucardo

1.30:292 right now. No assists and clutch+ H shifter.

No idea why it says I'm using a custom setup :eek: . Reset everything before I did any laps, oh well.

Nice times, fellas!

-------

I can't wait to give these URD Vettes a go!

Corvette C7.r 2014/15

-Car was originaly done by URD for Kunos Simulazioni-Assetto Corsa and we have full permission to reuse it and big thanks to Kunos team for that)
-Implented everything as on C6.r(see bellow)
-Included are 4 skins in total-2 Tudor skins from Corvette Racing 2014(Livery done by Livery), WEC Corvette racing 2014(Livery done by Magdas Catalin) and WEC Labre 2015(Livery done by Rob James)

Corvette C6.r ZR1 2013:

Changelog 1.9(16.5.2015):
-new shaders applyed to the exterior
-new light flares and front lights updated-Thank you some1 for the flare shaders!
-chassis flex added( Thank you Miroslav Davidovic)
-new tires added (4 dry+1 int+1 wet) Thank you Michael Borda
-mirrors adjusted

Oooh, just did my first lap without going on the grass 1.31.634
Good god, I've another 15+ laps and only 2 were clean. I really suck at judging that cut off point in the chicane. Anyway, my second registered lap is still way off the pace at 1.31.311.

Edit: looking at Betta's video, I can see I'm losing 3s in the first sector lol, rest of the lap is fine.

Edit2: 1.30.930
Edit3: 1.30.644 (I'll post shots later)

CkvgsYM.png

Good god, I've another 15+ laps and only 2 were clean. I really suck at judging that cut off point in the chicane. Anyway, my second registered lap is still way off the pace at 1.31.311.

Edit: looking at Betta's video, I can see I'm losing 3s in the first sector lol, rest of the lap is fine.

Yeah, his superglued to the inside of T2 line is the way to go. Late apexing it doesn't pay off, probably in part because the run to T3 is relatively short. I shaved half a second off my sector time there.

Unfortunately, the game was crashing like crazy on me last night. I only got a couple of fliers in before I got fed up.

(I'll post shots later)

I can still see 1.5s of time to make up, but it'll be a challenge to get into the 28s :(

Unfortunately, the game was crashing like crazy on me last night. I only got a couple of fliers in before I got fed up.
Maybe we're spoiled by the development practices of other developers, but I thought we'd be on patch 2 or 3 by now and have a few major bugs fixed. I'm guessing console versions/submissions slow the process down though, so a little more waiting before we can all stop crashing to desktop.

pCARS hotlap challenge

1:28.887 (video)

I spent most of my night figuring out how to switch to OBS from Shadowplay instead of actually trying to improve my time. The lap kind of sucks, and the videos had no sound. It's not all lost however. :)

markao

pCARS hotlap challenge

1:28.887 (video)

I spent most of my night figuring out how to switch to OBS from Shadowplay instead of actually trying to improve my time. The lap kind of sucks, and the videos had no sound. It's not all lost however. :)
"Remember Mark, read post before clicking link": I spent time wondering what was running in the background on my PC :p

but brilliant background music BT ;)

Tried a few laps on my old PC last night, but really need a new one to get some half decent FPS. Did I mention yet how much I hate that first chicane, old layout so much more fun :(

"Remember Mark, read post before clicking link": I spent time wondering what was running in the background on my PC :p

but brilliant background music BT ;)

Tried a few laps on my old PC last night, but really need a new one to get some half decent FPS. Did I mention yet how much I hate that first chicane, old layout so much more fun :(

:D I knew that would happen to somebody! I added your time to the list, even if you aren't happy with it ;)

--------------

I'm going to switch to a new combo on tomorrow night. Folks can continue to put up times for this one for as long as they'd like however.

markao

:D I knew that would happen to somebody! I added your time to the list, even if you aren't happy with it ;)

--------------

I'm going to switch to a new combo on tomorrow night. Folks can continue to put up times for this one for as long as they'd like however.
Is ok m8

Saw environment/reflections were still at medium and the -skipcrowds launch option also work on the retail version, so I'm now at above 40FPS with some AA to reduce all the flickering.

See if I can find enough time, without straightening the chicane to much, to break the 28 tomorrow, but at least it (28 mid) was enough to beat your time ;)

Is ok m8

Saw environment/reflections were still at medium and the -skipcrowds launch option also work on the retail version, so I'm now at above 40FPS with some AA to reduce all the flickering.

See if I can find enough time, without straightening the chicane to much, to break the 28 tomorrow, but at least it (28 mid) was enough to beat your time ;)

145o0d.gif

Top Bottom