• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

I've just installed Discord too, but currently no idea what it is/does. I hear all the cool kids use it though!

Edit: Oh, it kinda reminds me of Slack

CaLe

Camon, dont tell me you guys use gloves and shoes for sim racing... I´ve always thought that was over the top... always used bare hands and socks if it´s cold enough.

In the summer, with temps going to almost 100 i don´t know how can you use gloves... unless everybody is in the UK and US with cold homes despite the weather.

You need shoes for load cell pedals from what I understand. It depends on the resistance.

Not sure why some use gloves; sweat related ? Better grip ?

TJP

Are any of you guys members of Race department?
I am. If you are looking for friends from here over on RD, I am the member with Mick Doohan avatar two wheel sliding a 500cc two stroke (AKA a real GP bike). Just look in rF2 or R3E threads..I'm not hard to find.

I love our little thread on NeoGAF however given what has transpired over the last 72 hours with the owner of this forum, I'm not going to frequent NeoGAF in future.

Edit: fixed the issue with PM's on RD. I had issues with random spammers back in the day and a journalist looking for inside info when pCARS 1 funding was under investigation, so switched the PM settings to members I follow.

Bye all!

I am. If you are looking for friends from here over on RD, I am the member with Mick Doohan avatar two wheel sliding a 500cc two stroke (AKA a real GP bike). Just look in rF2 or R3E threads..I'm not hard to find.

I love our little thread on NeoGAF however given what has transpired over the last 72 hours with the owner of this forum, I'm not going to frequent NeoGAF in future. Bye all!
I tried to direct message you on Racedepartment over the weekend, but your privacy settings weren't allowing it sadly.

and just receiving some Heusinkveld pedals
2017-01-1712_51_51dysd0.gif

-------------
I certainly wasn't prepared for GAFocalypse. I'll put my info in my profile. Discord name, real name for iRacing, Race Dept. name, whatever else I can think of. Please hit me up with friend invites.

Is there a GAF Racing Discord channel? I could have sworn someone made one. If not, I'll try and get that squared away. EDIT: MH got it. Thanks!

I really don't have a comment on what's happened here at the moment. Right this second, I'm happy to be able to try and get my GAF connections straightened out. Obviously I'm disappointed, as I'm sure you all are.

Mascot

Holy shit, I really didn't expect GAF to come back online. This thread was the one that I was already missing.

Right now I'm inclined to stick around at least until the dust settles, not make any rash decisions, and hopefully be in a position to make a more informed decision in the near future. I've been a GAFer for a long time, it's a part of my daily routine. It's a shame that SimGAF is already fragmenting because of this.

Edit: thanks for the Discord invite, Marv.

Holy shit, I really didn't expect GAF to come back online. This thread was the one that I was already missing.

Right now I'm inclined to stick around at least until the dust settles, not make any rash decisions, and hopefully be in a position to make a more informed decision in the near future. I've been a GAFer for a long time, it's a part of my daily routine. It's a shame that SimGAF is already fragmenting because of this.

Edit: thanks for the Discord invite, Marv.

If it´s anything like NBA-Gaf, after a huge meltdown things get back slowly.

In both cases i don´t know who´s right and who´s wrong, so i just stay for the conversation.

I´m pretty sure things will get cleared up in the near future.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
you guys aren't seriously racing with grippy rubber sole shoes? That is like having a 5-point precision scale, while if using a soft tissue (a sock) you have 20-points precision.

One forces you to use the entire leg for inputs, the other uses only the smoothness of the ankle joint.

anyway thats my tip for anyone interested!

GuessWho

I got Dirt Rally from the sale and good god is that game hard! It is truly, as they say, the dark souls of racing games. Having so many issues with not just the handling but the brakes! Definitely not an arcade racer. Will need to adjust and focus. Also playing on a DFGT sucks!

I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but have there been any other games that have gone deep into the track deformation / rumble features the way Sega Rally Revo did? I really loved that game even though it was very arcadey. The deformation aspect worked pretty well from what I remember.

I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but have there been any other games that have gone deep into the track deformation / rumble features the way Sega Rally Revo did? I really loved that game even though it was very arcadey. The deformation aspect worked pretty well from what I remember.
Spintires has the best mud simulation I believe. A remastered version is out in a few days. In terms of racing sims, DiRT Rally's loose surface simulation is quite realistic, but it is only a physics effect, not visual. I think it's fair to say iRacing's dirt surface modelling set a new standard for actual dirt racing - and that is both visual and physics based (but it doesn't do obvious 'ruts' from every wheel trace like Revo or Motorstorm).

Spintires has the best mud simulation I believe. A remastered version is out in a few days. In terms of racing sims, DiRT Rally's loose surface simulation is quite realistic, but it is only a physics effect, not visual. I think it's fair to say iRacing's dirt surface modelling set a new standard for actual dirt racing - and that is both visual and physics based (but it doesn't do obvious 'ruts' from every wheel trace like Revo or Motorstorm).

Thanks, yeah that Spintires game caught my eye. It looks like they have a loyalty 50% promo for people who bought the original. Does anyone know if it's possible to gift the game with the half off bonus?

Makariel

Anyone here having experiences to share regarding VR (specifically oculus rift) and racing sims? I was looking at the oculus recently, and wondered if it makes sense getting it mainly for racing.

*Guaraná

Banned
yesterday i tried the Redbull X2010 @ nords with Oculus Rift and this combo is kind of insane.
I got nauseous after that for a couple of minutes.

But it was very funny nonetheless and I menage to beat my previous time, going under 4'30.
I think I'm gonna try to do under 4 minutes, but don't know if that's possible.

*Guaraná

Banned
Anyone here having experiences to share regarding VR (specifically oculus rift) and racing sims? I was looking at the oculus recently, and wondered if it makes sense getting it mainly for racing.

if there's a genre that VR really makes the difference, this genre is simulators in general and RACING SIMULATORS in particular.
Rift was a game changer for me, it's like a whole new f* experience. No matter how good your monitor/monitors is/are.

Makariel

Rift was a game changer for me, it's like a whole new f* experience. No matter how good your monitor/monitors is/are.
Well, that's what gets me to this question in the first place, since my traditional 3 screen setup is more of a 2 1/2 screen setup at the moment. And while the Rift is more expensive than a single replacement monitor is, if the difference is so great it might be worth getting that instead of another monitor.

What racing sims are you using with it? Last time I played Assetto Corsa more intensively I heard the VR integration was still a bit rough around the edges. Has this changed now?

*Guaraná

Banned
Well, that's what gets me to this question in the first place, since my traditional 3 screen setup is more of a 2 1/2 screen setup at the moment. And while the Rift is more expensive than a single replacement monitor is, if the difference is so great it might be worth getting that instead of another monitor.

What racing sims are you using with it? Last time I played Assetto Corsa more intensively I heard the VR integration was still a bit rough around the edges. Has this changed now?

I have Assetto Corsa, iRacing, rFactor 2, Raceroom Racing, Project Cars 2 and Automobilista (this one doesn't have rift support).

Assetto, pCARS 2 and iRacing have an amazing Rift support.
rFactor 2 has a good support
RR Racing has a OK one.

One important thing: you must have a really good PC, like really really good.
I have a i7 7700k with a 1080 and I, sometimes, struggle with my fps.

Makariel

Assetto, pCARS 2 and iRacing have an amazing Rift support.
rFactor 2 has a good support
RR Racing has a OK one.

One important thing: you must have a really good PC, like really really good.
I have a i7 7700k with a 1080 and I, sometimes, struggle with my fps.
My computer is an R5 1600 + 1080, which handles most things these days pretty well. I thought that if I get good framerates on triple screens the resolution of the rift shouldn't be too far off? I'm happy to dial down some details if it gives stable framerate, or is turning down the details not enough in this case?

Hey looking for some pc racing game suggestions. I got Forza H 4 with pc gamepass but it's barely even a racing game! No time trials and it doesn't even record what place you finish in a review let alone what time?! Beyond disappointed with that game.

Unless I'm missing something? I'd love it if someone could tell me how to turn that mess into a racing game, at the moment I don't care where I finish each race and it all seems so pointlesss.

Anyway, what are actual good racing games on pc, I like time trials, online leaderboards and online races.

Nah FH4 is great for what it is.
Ok cool, I respect that. Can you explain what it actually is? I don't get it. Is it right that it doesn't seem to matter where I placed in a race? Also, does it save your times anywhere? I honestly feel like I'm missing something huge.

Senua

Ok cool, I respect that. Can you explain what it actually is? I don't get it. Is it right that it doesn't seem to matter where I placed in a race? Also, does it save your times anywhere? I honestly feel like I'm missing something huge.
It's designed so that kids can enjoy it too. There is zero challenge to it. It's a beautiful game but jesus does it get old quick.

Reactions: GHG

drotahorror

I used to have a Logitech g29 but I didn't like it and sold it. Just recently I went pretty all in (for me at least) . Got the CSL Elite and the Fanatec gear shift. They were sold out of the load cell brake but I'll be getting one when they're back in stock. Been mainly playing Dirt Rally 2, but would like to play some other stuff.

One of my main problems and really it's just a personal thing due to ignorance, is the tuning options. I don't want or even know how to time a car. Dirt rally 2 is probably simple but their tuning options don't even provide info on what each thing does.

So what are some games that offer good cars that require minimal tuning? On my radar is Asseto Corsa, Automobilista 2, and iRacing.

Honestly it's all really daunting. After I tweak graphics (which I like to do), now I have to tweak the wheels FFB settings, the games FFB settings, tune the car for tarmac, tune it for wet tarmac, tune it for gravel,, etc etc.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Hey looking for some pc racing game suggestions. I got Forza H 4 with pc gamepass but it's barely even a racing game! No time trials and it doesn't even record what place you finish in a review let alone what time?! Beyond disappointed with that game.

Unless I'm missing something? I'd love it if someone could tell me how to turn that mess into a racing game, at the moment I don't care where I finish each race and it all seems so pointlesss.

Anyway, what are actual good racing games on pc, I like time trials, online leaderboards and online races.

If you want an arcade racing game that plays well with a controller:

The recent F1 games are also OK on a controller and have fantastic career modes:

If you have a wheel & pedals then grab either asset to corsa games and go from there:

GHG

Gold Member
So what are some games that offer good cars that require minimal tuning? On my radar is Asseto Corsa, Automobilista 2, and iRacing.

Starting out you will be fine with either Assetto Corsa Competizione provides great default car setups for all cars so it's a good place to get started. The tuning menu is also pretty educational, so if you do eventually what to get your hands dirty you will be able to figure out what each thing does without having to Google.

Raceroom is also pretty good in this respect:

iracing is fine if you stick to a "fixed" setup series, but for all other races you will need to get your hands dirty.

I'm about to try Automobilista 2 today for the first time so will report back.

GHG

Gold Member
I used to have a Logitech g29 but I didn't like it and sold it. Just recently I went pretty all in (for me at least) . Got the CSL Elite and the Fanatec gear shift. They were sold out of the load cell brake but I'll be getting one when they're back in stock. Been mainly playing Dirt Rally 2, but would like to play some other stuff.

One of my main problems and really it's just a personal thing due to ignorance, is the tuning options. I don't want or even know how to time a car. Dirt rally 2 is probably simple but their tuning options don't even provide info on what each thing does.

After playing Automobilista 2 for about 3 hours straight all I can say is buy it.

The cars drive so well on their default setuos, it's great fun. I need to drive more but my first impressions are that it's possibly the best handling sim out there, the force feedback is sensational once you get it set up right for your wheel.

It's a bargain at its current price and it will only get better.

spanna

Anyone playing ride on the edge 2 ? It’s made me love bike games again after the ride series bored me to death and put me off bike games for a while.

Top Bottom