• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

1-D_FTW

Haha yeah that was, at least, a couple of months ago (can't remember when the whole thing happened exactly) but they haven't mentionend Fanatec products in a while. It was particularly showing in last weeks show when they did a review of a sim rig. They were giving pros/cons for using the rig with every Logitech and Thrustmasters wheels possible (heck, even the official microsoft 360 wheel haha) but zero information about the Fanatec wheels. That's the kind of stuff that Fanatec users want to know. In that case it turned out that the actual rig was shitty anyway but still.

It's certainly not serving their or their viewers interests. But who knows. If Fanatec was really blatant and douchy, maybe they feel they have no other choice and it's their only way to protest. I would hope they're not being petty about it and there are legit reasons.

ISR leaked the CSP V2 recently which didn't go down to well either.

I watch ISR but never rated them, bought my GT2 on the Fanatec hype and was never happy with it, funnily enough the CSRE which they hardly spoke about turned out to be massively better.

Thier review of the MadCatz FFB Xbox wheel was quite awful to watch, that review could and should have been the CRSE.

mclaren777

Have any of you guys tried Simraceway yet? It's a free-to-play game (with micro-transactions) that mixes two of GAF's favorite things: the controlled environment of iRacing's multiplayer and the leaderboard aspect of our pCARS weekly challenges. I'm personally thinking about buying the Megane Trophy ($1.80) and the Formula 3 machine ($1.50).

http://www.simraceway.com/

i3g83avqp4Lp0.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
Have any of you guys tried Simraceway yet? It's a free-to-play game (with micro-transactions) that mixes two of GAF's favorite things: the controlled environment of iRacing's multiplayer and the leaderboard aspect of our pCARS weekly challenges. I'm personally thinking about buying the Megane Trophy ($1.80) and the Formula 3 machine ($1.50).

http://www.simraceway.com/

i3g83avqp4Lp0.jpg

Interesting... I've heard about it before but didn't knew it was f2p... I'll have to give it a try.

Dilly

Banned
I just installed it.

What's up with the FFB? When I tip my wheel a little to the left it fully turns left constantly applying force without anything happens, and it does the same when I turn it to the right.

-edit

Nevermind, FFB strength was at -100 for whatever reason.

mclaren777

I just installed it.

What's up with the FFB? When I tip my wheel a little to the left it fully turns left constantly applying force without anything happens, and it does the same when I turn it to the right.

Sounds like the typical Logitech "problem" of having to reverse the FFB setting.

Try putting it at negative 100%.

Megasoum

Banned
I just installed it.

Normally this happens when your FFB is inverted. Is there any way to change it in the settings? I remember the old ISI games used to allow you to put negative value to the FFB Setting.

Dilly

Banned
Yeah, I fixed it. :)

Now to get into a racing sessions, always says the tracks are all in use or whatever.

1-D_FTW

I'll download it and give it a shot a little later.

EDIT: How exactly do they determine prices for cars? Is it based on demand? Prices seem incredibly random. And the 62 MGA is 21 cents.

Dilly

Banned
I'll download it and give it a shot a little later.

EDIT: How exactly do they determine prices for cars? Is it based on demand? Prices seem incredibly random. And the 62 MGA is 21 cents.

I've read about this some time ago after complaints about the R18 being 16 dollars or something. Apparently, the more a car is worth in real life, the more it costs ingame.

mclaren777

How exactly do they determine prices for cars? Is it based on demand? Prices seem incredibly random. And the 62 MGA is 21 cents.

Here's the official response from SRW...

To make buying a car as straightforward as possible, we use a simple method of calculating prices, offering them for exactly 1/100,000 of their real-world market value. For vintage cars, we calculate market value using a variety of reputable sources and for racing cars we use a team's operating budget minus their operations, overhead and travel costs. This means you can grab an Audi RS4 for $0.67, a 2011 Dodge Charger R/T for $0.30 or, if you're really feeling the squeeze, you can drive yourself to payday in a Simraceway Kart for just $0.06! The vast majority of the 600+ cars we'll be delivering over the next few months will come in at under $3 each.

1-D_FTW

Okay. It's weird, but at least there's some logic behind it. Was weird clicking through cars and seeing one sell for 24 dollars and another for 21 cents :lol.

mclaren777

Who is creating the vehicles for Simraceway?

It's mostly modders. For instance, I helped develop the Palatov D4 because I know the guy who's making it in the real world (Dennis). He originally had Maher Solutions build the mod for rFactor, but then Simraceway came along and cut a deal with Dennis/Maher to include the mod in its sim. Make no mistake about it – Simraceway is just a reskinned version of rFactor.

jVb05gSz9ZRfl.jpg

Yoritomo

I think that was my only concern about the game seeing as how the rfactor modding scene enjoys using models from other games (forza, shift, etc).

I'll definitely check it out, as if I didn't have enough separate rfactor installs.

Shaneus

If it's cheap enough and easier to get into than rFactor2 (whose UI I find terribly intimidating for some reason) then I'll pony up a few dollars to have a crack. Are there any tracks/cars thrown in for free as a base?

On another note, I somehow stumbled across this track. Is it in any games at all? It looks like it'd be a great track to drive on.

From what I've played Aida can be found in:

- Formula 1 '97 (Bonus Track)
- Grand Prix 2
- Grand Prix Legends
- iRacing
- netKar Pro
- rFactor
- Toca Race Driver
- Toca World Touring Cars

TJP

Okayama is also found in SimBin's Race Injection (and Race On & in DLC for Race Pro on the Xbox 360). Fantastic track!

Shaneus

Fuck it. That's just about sold me on Race Injection. Just a shame that for a 5 year old game (or thereabouts) it's still the price of a new one. Though from what I understand, it doesn't look *that* bad these days and has a ridiculous amount of content. No idea on the driving model or wheel support, though.

Thanks guys!

Megasoum

Banned
So Race Injection is the "ultimate" edition of the series? I'm lost in all those Race simbin games lol.

It's interesting but a bit expensive. I'll keep it in mind for the next steam sale though.

TJP

With Race: Injection you buy Race '07 and all of its expansions:

GT Power
RETRO
WTCC 2010
Formula RaceRoom
STCC 2010
Camaro Cup
Volvo Add-on

The only expansions you'll be missing will be GTR Evolution & Race On.

Gamersgate has GTR EVO listed for $4.95, not sure where you'll find Race On cheap - Amazon perhaps?

1-D_FTW

That SimRaceWay seems pretty jank to me (it's good when it's actually working properly.) About the only thing it's tempted me to do is re-install rF1.

bee

don't really understand why people will play these under par sims just because they're cheap, the VERY best sim out there bar none costs 15 euros http://www.netkar-pro.com/main/ there's a free demo, play it ffs, then realise how poor these other "sims" really are

Megasoum

Banned
That SimRaceWay seems pretty jank to me (it's good when it's actually working properly.) About the only thing it's tempted me to do is re-install rF1.

Well considering that Chrome told my that the installer I downloaded from the official site might be a virus lol.

don't really understand why people will play these under par sims just because they're cheap, the VERY best sim out there bar none costs 15 euros http://www.netkar-pro.com/main/ there's a free demo, play it ffs, then realise how poor these other "sims" really are

Yeah I gotta try that at some point.

NetKar demo felt decent but I can't relate to car, it may as well be a spaceship.

I liked rFactor but stopped playing it again, some of the mods/cars/tracks are incredible but a lot of them are trash. Gave it a week or two then went back to GT/Forza, as simple (even arcadey) as they are it's so easy to jump in and play without the hassle.

Megasoum

Banned
I liked rFactor but stopped playing it again, some of the mods/cars/tracks are incredible but a lot of them are trash. Gave it a week or two then went back to GT/Forza, as simple (even arcadey) as they are it's so easy to jump in and play without the hassle.

I hear ya... I've been playing some pCars, rf2 and ACR in the last couple of weeks and while each games got his pros and cons I kinda want to play a "real" game now. Maybe it's because I'm working in QA but when I get home at the end of my day I don't really want to test stuff again lol. Maybe I'll look into the Race Injection game to have something to play that gives me a full experience.

Sometime it's nice to have a big of hand holding and guiding hehe.

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody has good settings (ingame and on the steering) for a Fanatec Porsche Wheel in Race Injection? I played around with the FFB settings and I get something playable but it's very far from perfect.

TJP

I found these settings on SimBin's RaceRoom forums:

Wheel preset settings

Sen - 270 to 540 depends on the car
FF 100
Sho- 100
dri - off
Abs - 100
Lin - 000
dea - 000
SPr - 0
dPr - 0

In Game under options - control settings

Speed sensitivity 0%
Steering sensitivity 100%
Deadzones all to 0
Brake, clutch and acceleration sensitivity at 50%

Megasoum

Banned
I found these settings on SimBin's RaceRoom forums:

Wheel preset settings

Sen - 270 to 540 depends on the car
FF 100
Sho- 100
dri - off
Abs - 100
Lin - 000
dea - 000
SPr - 0
dPr - 0

In Game under options - control settings

Speed sensitivity 0%
Steering sensitivity 100%
Deadzones all to 0
Brake, clutch and acceleration sensitivity at 50%

Hmm ok thanks, I'll give those a try.

Shaneus

Anybody has good settings (ingame and on the steering) for a Fanatec Porsche Wheel in Race Injection? I played around with the FFB settings and I get something playable but it's very far from perfect.
Oh, you got it? How does it "feel" from a "game" perspective (ie seasonal things, menu things, game-y stuff) and sim (in-game handling, graphics, FFB etc.) perspective? Definitely keen on buying if it's enough to distract me from the beta-esque nature of pCARS and rFactor2 (and to a lesser extent, iRacing. Damn that interface/back end is horrid).

mclaren777

Definitely keen on buying if it's enough to distract me from the beta-esque nature of pCARS and rFactor2 (and to a lesser extent, iRacing. Damn that interface/back end is horrid).

You should definitely stay away from netKar Pro then – its interface might send you into convulsions.

1-D_FTW

The LeoBadner G27 mod came back in stock this morning. Had a bit of sticker shock at the US - UK conversion rate, but ordered it anyways.

You should definitely stay away from netKar Pro then – its interface might send you into convulsions.

Seemed less intimidating than rFactor 1. Now that's a game he shouldn't touch. :lol. It makes rfactor 2 look so eloquent in comparison.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh, you got it? How does it "feel" from a "game" perspective (ie seasonal things, menu things, game-y stuff) and sim (in-game handling, graphics, FFB etc.) perspective? Definitely keen on buying if it's enough to distract me from the beta-esque nature of pCARS and rFactor2 (and to a lesser extent, iRacing. Damn that interface/back end is horrid).

Well like I said earlier I'm still working on the controls so I didn't play too much. I did a couple of laps at Hock in a GT car and 2-3 laps at Magny-Cours (oh memories...) in a Formula 1000 car.

Physics are fine. Graphics are "ok" at best but that's to be expected on a game that old. The FFB is really WIP for me right now so I don't know how it will turn out but it's definitly there (compared to pCars).

Didn't really check the different series and career stuff, I just did two practices.

It's a simbin game so they are use THE engine that was used in like 90% of the pc racing games for close to 10 years lol. All the ISI stuff, the EA F1 games, etc etc.

1-D_FTW

Truth be told, I've never understood why people find rFactor's menus to be so confusing.

Video

It's all the mods. Once you get past the initial install, it starts getting to be a bloody mess.

Simple solution: Use rfactor lite and do separate installs for each mod.

Sure. If you purchased the digital version. You're not allowed that option with the CD.

I had so much junk on my install that just trying to find a car could be a hassle. It's why the rfactor 2 system is so much more elegant. One stop shopping for Series Vs All. And if you choose All, it's another one stop shopping to pick your car. It's not an obtuse folder system that locks things out unless you open things in the proper order.

Yoritomo

Just FYI. Ordering the basherboard pedal filter was probably the best customer service experience I've ever had.

Right after paying he e-mailed me with an expected ship day, notified me when it shipped, and followed up after it had arrived to make sure it was in my hands.

I haven't tried it yet but I really have to vouch for the guy making the pedal filters.

Just so happens that it's in the exact same case as the PA2v2 home made headphone amp.

Shaneus

Doesn't really fit under "sims" (I guess... I dunno) but I just noticed there's a demo up for the new Dirt game. Have downloaded (2.5gb or so) but haven't tested yet. Will leave impressions here (or the OT if there is one).

Top Bottom