• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

scogoth

Lewis Hamilton?

Yes, can't believe I spelled his name wrong, tired after the weekend =|

I had pit access but he was the only one actually in the pits and willing to meet people. Alonso was there but it seemed like Ferrari didn't want to let people they didn't know into their lounge.

EDIT: I suppose I met Karthikeyan too but thats not quite as exciting. Poor guys, just don't have enough money to actually compete.

New Fanatec firmware, looks like a good one:
Firmware 742BETA runs on the follwing wheels:
•CSR
•CSR Elite
•911 GT3 RS V2
•911 Turbo S
•911 GT2

IMPORTANT: If you want to use the RF dongle for your 911 GT2 or Turbo S wheel, please do not update, as with this version you can only use the USB connection afterwards.

There is no firmware update planned for the 911 Turbo (not S), 911 Carrera and 911 GT3RS V1.

We made a lot of changes and these are some of them:
•ACL added to all Wheels
•500 Hz update rate
•Allows use of SDK to show telemetry data on Tuning display
•Improved force feedback algorithms
•Improved FF sensitivity around center position
•Improved center spring
•DPR and SPR calculation changed
•Improved navigation in Tuning menu (keep pressing the up or down button)
•Default Sensitivity = OFF (900°)
•Changed button mapping to ensure compatibility to older games
•New initialisation sequence to auto detect minimum ff level required for each individual wheel
•fixed issue with hanging ff signals
•Changed button combo for center calibration. Please follow manual of updater (included)

If you use this on PC you also need to isntall the latest BETA version of our driver. Below you find version 125 for 32 and 64 bit.

It also comes with a lot of changes and we fixed a lot of issues we had in the force feedback core of the driver.

Like with the firmware, this version of the driver is only for eperienced users yet and not for the general public. Please report all issues you find right here so we can work on them before releasing the final versions.

link:
http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/8543

edit: damn, wrong thread.

Let me know what you think, I only got to test it on Forza and feel an improvement in sensitivity around the centre of the wheel but the steering now feels incredibly light.

I usually stick to Fanatec's default Spring and Damper settings but may have to have a play with them, or just get used to it.

Arucardo

Let me know what you think, I only got to test it on Forza and feel an improvement in sensitivity around the centre of the wheel but the steering now feels incredibly light.

I usually stick to Fanatec's default Spring and Damper settings but may have to have a play with them, or just get used to it.

I gave it a try in rFactor 2 and it felt good but there's some trade offs to be made with the new firmware, what bothers me the most is that you can't use the PS3/G25 mode anymore with the beta fw.

I'll wait and see if they can sort this out. I downgraded back to 681 for the time being. ACL seems like a cool feature tho, could be really useful in Forza.

Arucardo

Is it true that a lot of Fanatec owners use Logitech firmware instead?

Nope, if you run the wheel in the PS3 mode the pc will detect is as a G25 instead if you have the drivers installed. I find the FFB to be waaaay better with this method and you can allow the game to change the wheel rotation degrees(like the car specific steering in rF2).

I'll give it a couple of days and see if I can get used to the new light feel then maybe go back to 737. It's a shame as I found 737's steering a little on the heavy side, now this is teh opposite. Somewere inbetween would be perfect.

Strange it doesn't go into PS3 mode on PC, I could have sworn that worked for me this morning.

Polyphony

Any links to NetKar Pro 1.3 final? All the mirrors on the official website seem to be down (or taken down by Homeland Security...).

Edit: Nvm!

Polyphony

I don't have such a wheel to compare with (DFGT ftw!) but I can finally understand why so many people rave about it. If only it had the network infrastructure of iRacing. Assetto Corsa looks even more promising to me now.

TJP

Any links to NetKar Pro 1.3 final?
Make sure you visit Radiator Springs Racing for an update issued by Kunos on their website to fix several issues (as far as I'm aware, one cannot obtain this update via the in-game update tool). The update thread is here: http://rsracing.forumotion.com/t1213-netkar-pro-v1301-rsr-update downloads and here is a link to their download section which includes a tonne of tracks, skins and a few sound tweaks: http://www.radiators-champ.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&view=viewcategories&Itemid=5

Make sure to sign up and say thanks 8)

I recently rediscovered NKP thanks for the Fanatec wheel test. The force feedback in that game is astounding!
NKP has become my favourite sim by some margin (the other Kunos sim, FVA, comes a close second). The FFB leaves the vast majority of other sims for dead. I love the inbuilt FFB clipping tool too - I wish more developers included this feature.

Darkdeus

Game Stock Car 2012 update is out! The ffb and physics are amazing. Even better than NKP for me. If you guys have not tried the game yet you can download it and try it for an hour for free. It's well worth $30 tho!

http://www.game-stockcar.com.br/en/index.html

The new camaro is one of the best feeling cars in sim racing imo. The graphics updates look really good as well!
Camaro:
7483848976_3e0a5e0c4c_b.jpg

7483846632_28323a541a_b.jpg

7483838046_ffce692310_b.jpg

Stock Cars:
7483844334_ee51051472_b.jpg

7483843192_45f6746b4e_b.jpg

Darkdeus

yea GSC 2011 was my favorite race sim of last year. They really have managed to improve the game in every way though. The new version is a free update it you own gsc 2011 btw. I can't wait to see what they do with the Senna game.

TJP

I've been meaning to buy Game Stock Car - must be pretty damn good given its RaceDepartment's game of 2011.

Edit: GSC bought - looks decent with sensational FFB and physics. It's NetKar Pro all over again 8)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Game Stock Car question....is there online multiplayer? If so, can you just enter a lobby and race? Dedicated servers? How big is the community.

Finding it hard to play anything offline anymore after so much iRacing and years of Call of Duty :( :( :(

Arucardo

Can you straight up use rFactor tracks in GSC (Same engine)? I'd pounce on this game if I could just add a few tracks to it that I'm more familiar with, like Mid Ohio, Bathurst and Laguna Seca.

EDIT: Found a bunch of custom tracks for the game, but I don't want to link since I have a feeling some or most of them are rips or converted without permission from the creator. Anyways, I just bought the game ;) . Maybe if there's more gaffers that have this so we could have a trackday or something.

Three60

First Fanatec CSR Elite rim / different colour buttons, no rev lights and plastic grips are the main differences from Clubsport Formula rim (as far as i can see anyway)

bfHX3.jpg

Longshot

First Fanatec CSR Elite rim / different colour buttons, no rev lights and plastic grips are the main differences from Clubsport Formula rim (as far as i can see anyway)

bfHX3.jpg
Hnnng, that's sexy as hell, and I normally don't like gaming peripherals.

Arucardo

Reiza Studio's open wheel cars feel terrific, the stock car is pretty great too. Didn't get a chance to properly try the Camaro yet, but first impressions weren't all that great, the car felt like it understeers a lot. I'm guessing you need to play with the throttle more when turning to alleviate the understeer. Feeling the grip at rear of the car was great though, surprisingly easy to recover from most slides.

I'll give the Camaro another go later today, driving all the purpose built race cars lately is probably what's making me not like it as much so far, heh.

-Amon-

bfHX3.jpg

Do not like the wheel at all. That thing can be used only with formula cars. Try to turn that wheel 400 degrees mantaining full control.

I've been playing around with FanaLEDs on LFS, they work great but as I need to run the wheel in Fanatec mode for some reason my shifter doesn't work, it assigns as buttons fine but nothing happens when driving. It used to be ok.

Is there any known problems with driver 129b and/or FW 742b?

mclaren777

Do not like the wheel at all. That thing can be used only with formula cars. Try to turn that wheel 400 degrees mantaining full control.

Don't rotate it more than 400º then. I actually prefer the formula wheel for all types of racing and I never use 900º on either of my wheels.

Megasoum

Banned
Don't rotate it more than 400º then. I actually prefer the formula wheel for all types of racing and I never use 900º on either of my wheels.

Yeah, I really don't get why you would want to turn a steering wheel more than 400 degrees in a racing car unless you are at very low speed (which shouldn't happen very often normally...). The only game I play with my PWTS set at 900degrees is pCars but the game dynamicaly adjust the lock for each cars so you never really at 900 anyway.

With other games, the highest I ever put it is 360 and 240-270 for F1 games.

In the end, you never want to cross your arms in a racing car...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Hey guys, I'd like to buy a "modern" racing sim for my PC. The last racing game I bought was Tokyo Extreme Racer for my Dreamcast, lol. But I also own Test Drive LeMans and Ferrari for it too, and a few Rally games for the original Xbox. I have a few even older racing games for the PC (I doubt any of them even run on Win7) but I'd like to get a new one to play.

I'm definitely not a hard core race fan, but I do enjoy racing games very much. I'll be playing with a gamepad, I don't own a wheel nor pedals. What I'm really after is a good looking game graphically that is both beginner friendly but with options to hardcore it up too. I don't really care if it's rally or nascar or even gokarts, just as long as it's fun and immersive and challenging.

So what game do you guys recommend for me to start with? Seems like there are actually a lot of choices for the PC when it comes to racing games...

Dilly

Banned
Hey guys, I'd like to buy a "modern" racing sim for my PC. The last racing game I bought was Tokyo Extreme Racer for my Dreamcast, lol. But I also own Test Drive LeMans and Ferrari for it too, and a few Rally games for the original Xbox. I have a few even older racing games for the PC (I doubt any of them even run on Win7) but I'd like to get a new one to play.

I'm definitely not a hard core race fan, but I do enjoy racing games very much. I'll be playing with a gamepad, I don't own a wheel nor pedals. What I'm really after is a good looking game graphically that is both beginner friendly but with options to hardcore it up too. I don't really care if it's rally or nascar or even gokarts, just as long as it's fun and immersive and challenging.

So what game do you guys recommend for me to start with? Seems like there are actually a lot of choices for the PC when it comes to racing games...

pCARS then, even though it's a WIP it seems to fit what you're looking for.

DD

If you have a Xbox 360, buy Forza. Project Gotham Racing is more arcadey, but not a easy game at all. Os the PS3, get GT5.

Dirt series is good too, and you find then on the PC.

Megasoum

Banned
Dirt or Shift, there's plenty of mods for Shift to tweak/improve the handling.

Shift 2 with ptmu mod and a good steering (I never tried with a gamepad but I imagine it's great too) is fucking amazing. The track selection in that game is the best I have ever seen in any game... Well maybe except pCars but that's logical since that's SMS new game.

DD

Shift 2 with ptmu mod and a good steering (I never tried with a gamepad but I imagine it's great too) is fucking amazing. The track selection in that game is the best I have ever seen in any game... Well maybe except pCars but that's logical since that's SMS new game.

No, it's not. =c

mclaren777

It sounds like Project CARS might be perfect for you. It has a wide range of content and the physics aren't realistic enough to require the use of a steering wheel. It's currently in alpha/beta state and you can join the project now for as little as $14, though I would personally wait until the final games ships unless you want something to play right now.

Otherwise, you can download RaceRoom - The Game 2 (worst name ever!) for free and see if Simbin games are your cup of tea.

http://www.raceroom.net/games/raceroom-the-game/

i6aVxPsOasqF9.jpg

mclaren777

Prices valid for new members until July 31st...

• 1-month membership: $6 instead of $12
• 3-month membership: $15 instead of $30
• 12-month membership: $49.50 instead of $99
• 24-month membership: $89.50 instead of $179

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Dirt or Shift, there's plenty of mods for Shift to tweak/improve the handling.

Well, there are three DiRT games. And there are two NFS: Shift games. All of them are on Steam, which is cool.

Is it logical to assume that DiRT 3 is the best of the DiRT's, and that Shift 2 is better than Shift 1? Because the first DiRT is only $10 but if DiRT 3 is miles better than I may just get that instead...

Come on Steam Summer Sale!!

Shift 2's handling felt floaty but that's easily fixed, if it's cheap buy and mod it.

As for Dirt, the first game was pretty good, the second I didn't play much and Dirt 3 was fine until the Gymkhana and drifting events, I wasn't keen on them at all.

Are there any demos available?

1-D_FTW

Is it logical to assume that DiRT 3 is the best of the DiRT's, and that Shift 2 is better than Shift 1? Because the first DiRT is only $10 but if DiRT 3 is miles better than I may just get that instead...

Come on Steam Summer Sale!!

It's not really an assumption you should make. Dirt 2 is the best Dirt IMO. By a pretty large margin. The only caveat would be if you play in 3D. Dirt 3 has terrific 3D (while 2 is broken). So if that's how you game, it's enough of an enhancement to overlook the fact it's pretty much inferior to 2 in every other way.

Megasoum

Banned
It's not really an assumption you should make. Dirt 2 is the best Dirt IMO. By a pretty large margin. The only caveat would be if you play in 3D. Dirt 3 has terrific 3D (while 2 is broken). So if that's how you game, it's enough of an enhancement to overlook the fact it's pretty much inferior to 2 in every other way.

Couldn't agree more. Dirt 2 is a masterpiece compared to the crap that was D3. I find the career in D2 a bit too repetitive but it's always fun, especially the rally and trailblazer events.

And, like I said earlier, Shift 2 (with a proper physics mod) is awesome and has a TON of content.

Dilly

Banned
I loved Dirt 1 more, the handling model wasn't that great but it was atleast a rally game.

Pikes Peak, great rally courses and a selection of some great cars. Best game from the Dirt series for me.

_machine

No, it's not. =c
I thought S2U with PTMu was pretty great with a pad, despite some few cars still being a bit floaty on default setups. Playing it with my Momo on the other hand was a bit disappointing as the mod didn't fix the mushy and heavy steering and slightly numb FFB, but on my friends DFGT it was very enjoyable when modded. Weakest point of the game for me is the kinda crappy default setups and the track selection is very much inferior to what pCars has to offer.

Still, I'd probably start with either of Shifts and if they get you hooked then move up to pCars and likes.

Have I hit anyone up for what mods to get for Shift 2? I can't remember :(
Polish Tyre Mod or the new NTM Tire Mod, which I haven't actually tested yet, to fix the mushy physics and steering. Unofficial Community Patch for all sorts of fixes and additions. Then there are some camera mods if you want the helmet cam without look-to-apex or dof and other things.

Shaneus

Awesome, thanks for the tip! It sounds like there's heaps of stuff that's been done to it (next up: graphics tweaks) so I can't wait to sink my teeth into it!

Megasoum

Banned
I thought S2U with PTMu was pretty great with a pad, despite some few cars still being a bit floaty on default setups. Playing it with my Momo on the other hand was a bit disappointing as the mod didn't fix the mushy and heavy steering and slightly numb FFB, but on my friends DFGT it was very enjoyable when modded. Weakest point of the game for me is the kinda crappy default setups and the track selection is very much inferior to what pCars has to offer.

Still, I'd probably start with either of Shifts and if they get you hooked then move up to pCars and likes.

Polish Tyre Mod or the new NTM Tire Mod, which I haven't actually tested yet, to fix the mushy physics and steering. Unofficial Community Patch for all sorts of fixes and additions. Then there are some camera mods if you want the helmet cam without look-to-apex or dof and other things.

Well...yeah... But you have to admit that when it came out (and up until WMD opened) the track selection was the biggest by far. It's still the biggest track selection in a released game technicaly hehe.

Top Bottom