• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Shawsie64

Banned
Any of you guys tried rfactor 2 and iracing with nVidia 3D vision? really cool stuff, making me alot faster!

529592_10150952233158611_369770171_n.jpg

After a long break from sim racing im getting back into it. Wedding finished, savings on track, mortgage in the process.. had to stop for a while as had no time but im loving sim racing again..This is my current setup (trackir not setup yet in this pic). Was going to go triple screen but my wife wouldn't like me spending $1200 on screens so I stole the living room TV!

1-D_FTW

Any of you guys tried rfactor 2 and iracing with nVidia 3D vision? really cool stuff, making me alot faster!

I have and absolutely love racing in 3D. Don't really have the hardware to pull off 1080P @60fps 3D with Rfactor 2 (I'm a 60fps whore), but rFactor 1 is glorious in it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It's not really an assumption you should make. Dirt 2 is the best Dirt IMO. By a pretty large margin. The only caveat would be if you play in 3D. Dirt 3 has terrific 3D (while 2 is broken). So if that's how you game, it's enough of an enhancement to overlook the fact it's pretty much inferior to 2 in every other way.

I loved Dirt 1 more, the handling model wasn't that great but it was atleast a rally game.

Pikes Peak, great rally courses and a selection of some great cars. Best game from the Dirt series for me.

Hah, so no consensus then on which DiRT is the best? I'm not using any kind of 3D vision, so it sounds like DiRT3 is the least appealing version for me.

So, DiRT 1 versus DiRT 2 then. Dilly, what do you mean that "at least DiRT 1 is a rally game" ? Aren't they both rally games?

And FTW, what makes DiRT 2 better than DiRT 1 in your opinion?

Shaneus

The consensus is Dirt 2 is the best. The non-"rally" bits (with off-roaders and such) aren't too painful but the rally bits are great. Reminded me a lot of Rallisport 2, if that helps (in that it's more arcadey than simmy, but on the sim-side of arcadey... I guess). Looks stunning, too.

Dirt 1 is good, no doubt, but 2 really is a whole lot better. More variety, more polish, prettier, better handling... and you should be able to get it dirt cheap thanks to some GPU promos, maybe someone has a code lying around. Worst case, wait until it's $5 in the upcoming Steam sale.

1-D_FTW

Hah, so no consensus then on which DiRT is the best? I'm not using any kind of 3D vision, so it sounds like DiRT3 is the least appealing version for me.

So, DiRT 1 versus DiRT 2 then. Dilly, what do you mean that "at least DiRT 1 is a rally game" ? Aren't they both rally games?

Dirt 1 is a more traditional rally game in the sense it doesn't have the dude bro stuff the serious has become infamous for. It's, for the most part, strictly about traditional rally courses.

Dirt 2 is a MUCH better looking game (like a generational leap better), but my biggest issue is just how lousy the driving model is with 1. The FFB wheel support is terrible in the original. It's not an issue if you use a controller, but with a wheel, it's fairly off-putting.

The reason Dirt 2 is my favorite of all of them is because of the courses. They're just really well designed, fun, and beautiful. But know this about it: it's an "arcade-sim" style game. It's not even remotely sim-like even with all the aides off. Still, if you're somebody who used to love the old Sega arcade games, Dirt 2 feels like something Sega would have made if they'd continued on their old trajectory.

Dilly

Banned

Dirt 1 is a more traditional rally game in the sense it doesn't have the dude bro stuff the serious has become infamous for. It's, for the most part, strictly about traditional rally courses.

This.

Yeah, Trailblazer is cool and all in Dirt 2, but all those rallytracks in 2 and especially 3 are wide enough to be raced on with a lorry. And Dirt 3's rallytracks are just rehashed parts of one huge section. Nothing interesting about 3 environments with each one rallytrack that's just seperated in 3 and reversed so you can market it has having a lot of rallytracks.

Dirt 1 isn't perfect, it has some rather boring events sometimes but those aren't necesarry to progress in career. So much more variation in rally tracks and Pikes Peak makes Dirt 1 my favourite of the series, it's just too bad that the FFB and handling model isn't great, Dirt 2-3 are more fun to drive.

I hope Dirt 4 is just Dirt 1 with the Dirt 2 handling slapped on it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Dirt 2 is a MUCH better looking game (like a generational leap better), but my biggest issue is just how lousy the driving model is with 1. The FFB wheel support is terrible in the original. It's not an issue if you use a controller, but with a wheel, it's fairly off-putting.

The reason Dirt 2 is my favorite of all of them is because of the courses. They're just really well designed, fun, and beautiful. But know this about it: it's an "arcade-sim" style game. It's not even remotely sim-like even with all the aides off. Still, if you're somebody who used to love the old Sega arcade games, Dirt 2 feels like something Sega would have made if they'd continued on their old trajectory.

Yeah, Trailblazer is cool and all in Dirt 2, but all those rallytracks in 2 and especially 3 are wide enough to be raced on with a lorry. And Dirt 3's rallytracks are just rehashed parts of one huge section. Nothing interesting about 3 environments with each one rallytrack that's just seperated in 3 and reversed so you can market it has having a lot of rallytracks.

Dirt 1 isn't perfect, it has some rather boring events sometimes but those aren't necesarry to progress in career. So much more variation in rally tracks and Pikes Peak makes Dirt 1 my favourite of the series, it's just too bad that the FFB and handling model isn't great, Dirt 2-3 are more fun to drive.

I hope Dirt 4 is just Dirt 1 with the Dirt 2 handling slapped on it.

Heh, they both sound good in different ways! I love Sega Rally, and I also have the first Rallisport for the original Xbox that I used to love to play. So DiRT 2 has better gameplay and graphics, but DiRT1 has the better rally tracks from the sound of it?

Eh, screw it, come the Steam Sale I'm just gonna buy both DiRT 1 & 2 for whatever price they are, sounds like I'll like playing both anyway!

Any opinions on Richard Burns Rally? Read a few reviews on that one, sounds good too. How does it compare to the DiRT games?

Megasoum

Banned
Heh, they both sound good in different ways! I love Sega Rally, and I also have the first Rallisport for the original Xbox that I used to love to play. So DiRT 2 has better gameplay and graphics, but DiRT1 has the better rally tracks from the sound of it?

Eh, screw it, come the Steam Sale I'm just gonna buy both DiRT 1 & 2 for whatever price they are, sounds like I'll like playing both anyway!

Any opinions on Richard Burns Rally? Read a few reviews on that one, sounds good too. How does it compare to the DiRT games?

It's the best simulation available the but the keyword here is simulation. This game is CRAZY hard.

_machine

Well...yeah... But you have to admit that when it came out (and up until WMD opened) the track selection was the biggest by far. It's still the biggest track selection in a released game technicaly hehe.
Heh, yeah the track list is definitely big and impressive, but I personally just didn't like that many of them whilst I love most of pCars' tracks.

It's the best simulation available the but the keyword here is simulation. This game is CRAZY hard.
I can still remember the days of taking ever so slow steps to increase the speeds to learn the game. Especially with a non FFB wheel it was most definitely very tough, but never did it feel unfair and holy crap is it rewarding when you feel you've outdone yourself and finished without any major mistakes. There's still a big community around the game also and annual mods pushed out so if you have the time and will dedicate a little then it's simply amazing and far from any other rally game.

TJP

SimBin's free to play V-WTCC 2012 has been cancelled: http://www.raceroom.net/forums/index.php/topic,1876.msg16464.html

We had to make a hard decision with regeards to the V-WTCC project, but the decision was not taken lightly.

It is very busy times for SimBin and we are focusing very hard on our upcoming project(s). For that reason we have decided it is wise to postpone any continuation of the V-WTCC project up until a later date.

We have taken this decision in order to maintain focus on new game technologies in development. With our teams hard at work building our next generation of games, the scope and vision of the V-WTCC series compelled us to postpone the V-WTCC concept as it is now. It is our belief that such a series deserves to be done utilizing our latest game and web technologies. We've got a big year ahead of us, and while postponing this project was a difficult decision to make, we believe the road ahead will reveal that it was done for all the right reasons.

Shawsie64

Banned
I have and absolutely love racing in 3D. Don't really have the hardware to pull off 1080P @60fps 3D with Rfactor 2 (I'm a 60fps whore), but rFactor 1 is glorious in it.

I spent last night dialing in my setup and I'm really blown away, def not just a gimmick.. Really adds to the experience I feel

1-D_FTW

Does that mean 120fps?

Yeah. 60fps 3D needs to be run at 120hz so that each eye (slightly different perspective) is updated at 60fps.

Being GPU maxed out at 60fps will only net you 30fps with stereoscopic vision.

Some games are more efficient with stereoscopic 3D and don't need twice the processing power as 2D, but it's close for many games.

Shawsie64

Banned
Yeah. 60fps 3D needs to be run at 120hz so that each eye (slightly different perspective) is updated at 60fps.

Being GPU maxed out at 60fps will only net you 30fps with stereoscopic vision.

Some games are more efficient with stereoscopic 3D and don't need twice the processing power as 2D, but it's close for many games.

I'm using a Panasonic Vierra over hdmi 1.4 so it only supports 60fps @ 720p, 1080p is locked to 24hz due to bandwidth issues.. Even at 720p though it's fantastic

1-D_FTW

I probably should try running it at 720P at least once. I know it'll run in 3D @60fps @720P, so I should stop being such a 1080P snob and at least try it:)

Shawsie64

Banned
It is a bit of a downgrade but I'm able to pump up the AA in most games and it counters the drop in resolution somewhat..

Anyone know whats the go with lighting mods for rfactor 2? I remember Mclaren posted some great screenshots a while ago of people who have modded the lighting if im not mistaken..

mclaren777

debating resubbing to iracing on a new account... 50% off is pretty sweet.

That's a pretty bold step unless you're planning to get one of the longer subs. Do you already have meaningful career progression or any purchased content on your old account?

spicy cho

That's a pretty bold step unless you're planning to get one of the longer subs. Do you already have meaningful career progression or any purchased content on your old account?
No, that's the thing I don't right now so starting clean is no big deal for me.

1-D_FTW

It is a bit of a downgrade but I'm able to pump up the AA in most games and it counters the drop in resolution somewhat..

Anyone know whats the go with lighting mods for rfactor 2? I remember Mclaren posted some great screenshots a while ago of people who have modded the lighting if im not mistaken..

Gave it a shot at 720P. There's definitely a noticeable downgrade, but I'll still take 720P 3D over 1080P 2D. Can hold 60fps in 3D now.

Only real issue is I wonder if they're limiting convergence or something. Because placebo or not, rfactor 1 just seems to have more depth and pop to me. Maybe it's just all in my head.

Shawsie64

Banned
Gave it a shot at 720P. There's definitely a noticeable downgrade, but I'll still take 720P 3D over 1080P 2D. Can hold 60fps in 3D now.

Only real issue is I wonder if they're limiting convergence or something. Because placebo or not, rfactor 1 just seems to have more depth and pop to me. Maybe it's just all in my head.

I'm able to adjust my convergence in rfactor 2 though haven't tried 3d vision in rfactor 1. and yeah i'd take 720P 3D over 1080P 2D any day of the week.. The depth really helps me drive.

1-D_FTW

I'm able to adjust my convergence in rfactor 2 though haven't tried 3d vision in rfactor 1. and yeah i'd take 720P 3D over 1080P 2D any day of the week.. The depth really helps me drive.

Yeah. I can adjust it too. That's why I phrased it as limited and not locked. It's probably all in my head:)

Agree about helping drive. While I was on a 720P kick, I booted up Dirt 3 (which chokes my card in corners @ 1080P). Normally those cockpit views in that game are completely unplayable for me. But with cockpit, I was able to drive some really twisty courses that I wasn't familiar with and shave a lot of time off my personal bests. Courses that would normally screw with my mind. With 3D, I'm able to naturally look ahead and read things like I normally would in a real car. For whatever reason, with 2D, I tend to focus directly in front and drive reactionary.

Shawsie64

Banned
Yeah. I can adjust it too. That's why I phrased it as limited and not locked. It's probably all in my head:)

Agree about helping drive. While I was on a 720P kick, I booted up Dirt 3 (which chokes my card in corners @ 1080P). Normally those cockpit views in that game are completely unplayable for me. But with cockpit, I was able to drive some really twisty courses that I wasn't familiar with and shave a lot of time off my personal bests. Courses that would normally screw with my mind. With 3D, I'm able to naturally look ahead and read things like I normally would in a real car. For whatever reason, with 2D, I tend to focus directly in front and drive reactionary.

I've been using track ir tonight with 3D in iracing..so good
:)

TheBear

which of the newer pc racing sims has the best singleplayer campaign? and how do they play with a 360 controller?

Megasoum

Banned
which of the newer pc racing sims has the best singleplayer campaign? and how do they play with a 360 controller?

I don't think there's bin a sim with singleplayer campaign in a long time. The last game I remember is Grid but this is obviously not a sim. Worked great with a 360 pads for what's it's worth...

Hopefully pCARS will deliver on the promisis of crazy career campaign stuff.

Arucardo

I don't think there's bin a sim with singleplayer campaign in a long time. The last game I remember is Grid but this is obviously not a sim. Worked great with a 360 pads for what's it's worth...

Hopefully pCARS will deliver on the promisis of crazy career campaign stuff.

Eh, Imo GRID is even less of a sim than say Shift 1/2 or the Dirt games, you should be able to grab one of those games for dirt cheap (sorry) and they're pretty good with a gamepad. Playing the more serious sims (rfactor, iRacing, GTR, etc) with a gamepad somewhat defeats the purpose too I think and sometimes the devs don't even bother trying to make it playable with it.

Megasoum

Banned
Eh, Imo GRID is even less of a sim than say Shift 1/2 or the Dirt games, you should be able to grab one of those games for dirt cheap (sorry) and they're pretty good with a gamepad. Playing the more serious sims (rfactor, iRacing, GTR, etc) with a gamepad somewhat defeats the purpose too I think and sometimes the devs don't even bother trying to make it playable with it.

Oh yeah of course, I never said otherwise. Grid is nowhere near a sim (and I don't think they ever tried to be one either). I'm just saying that it's the only game with a singplayer "campaign" I can think of. That and the old TOCA games.

andylsun

Ah, great thread. I'd been struggling to get GT Legends running on windows 7 and then found out about Raceroom and GT Legends Revival! Just submitted my pictures to get a digital copy. Love this game.

mclaren777

What are graphically the most beautiful sims on pc?

I personally think iRacing looks the best, but most people would probably say Project CARS. rFactor 2 is also quite pretty, but I don't really think graphics matter that much in a "proper sim" because the driving experience should far outweigh the eye candy.

itxngaKOQbxQC.jpg

iLa6LbMW0wWUa.png

iNFRf51sH9jMQ.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
I personally think iRacing looks the best, but most people would probably say Project CARS. rFactor 2 is also quite pretty, but I don't really think graphics matter that much in a "proper sim" because the driving experience should far outweigh the eye candy.

I always thought iRacing looks too....flat...or something. It doesn't look bad but I feel like there's something missing.

rFactor 2 on the other hand just looks terrible. Awesome physics and FFB (both a LOT more important than graphics) but the game still look terrible.

mclaren777

None of them really have SP campaigns. pCARS is scheduled to have career progression, but I'll be surprised if it's much more complex than what you might find in Forza 4. More often than not, sim racers usually just do one-off races against the AI with the occasional championship or online race thrown in for good measure.

rFactor 2 on the other hand just looks terrible. Awesome physics and FFB (both a LOT more important than graphics) but the game still look terrible.

To each their own. I've been quite impressed with what the modding community has turned out so far (the track and cars in the image above are both mods). rF2 obviously lacks the "wow factor" of something like pCARS, but I think the FFB/physics more than make up for it.

Another one-man WIP mod...

iKaABKhGypdRB.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
To each their own. I've been quite impressed with what the modding community has turned out so far (the track and cars in the image above are both mods). rF2 obviously lacks the "wow factor" of something like pCARS, but I think the FFB/physics more than make up for it.

Yeah I admit I haven't seen much of the modded stuff. That's the kind of game where the mod community will create stuff 10x better than the original devs (just like the MS Flight Simulator community). That's awesome.

If I can manage to fix my busted shifters on my PWTS or get the money to buy a new wheel (if the Fanatec website every come back online one day lol) then I'll have to give it another try. Haven't played in a little while.

Got really sucked into racing games now since getting my T500 and shifter.
Got an active sub with iRacing, team member in Project CARS, rFactor2, SimRaceWay and netKarPro installed. Currently messing about with Richard Burns Rally and downloading the demo of GSC2012. Will keep me busy.

edit - oh, Race Injection got delivered the other day as well but not really had chance to try it. There appears to be a Steam problem so might just run off disc.

itxngaKOQbxQC.jpg

iLa6LbMW0wWUa.png

iNFRf51sH9jMQ.jpg

I know, I cant wait for Project Cars. Are there any graphic mods for iRacing?

1-D_FTW

At the risk of sounding like a 3D shrill, I think stereoscopic 3D makes all of those racing games look beautiful (with the added bonus that the depth truly does make it more natural to gauge things).

Shawsie64

Banned

Hey mclaren, can you point me to some good mods for rFactor 2? Any lighting mods would be great, cars/tracks whatever..

Got really sucked into racing games now since getting my T500 and shifter.
Got an active sub with iRacing, team member in Project CARS, rFactor2, SimRaceWay and netKarPro installed. Currently messing about with Richard Burns Rally and downloading the demo of GSC2012. Will keep me busy.

edit - oh, Race Injection got delivered the other day as well but not really had chance to try it. There appears to be a Steam problem so might just run off disc.

What settings are you using? I just started using these and they are really great! They work well with other sims too.

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1854086.page

Credits to Bob Bieber from iracing forums, quoted here for non iracing members

482113_10150968070353611_1306741655_n.jpg

At the risk of sounding like a 3D shrill, I think stereoscopic 3D makes all of those racing games look beautiful (with the added bonus that the depth truly does make it more natural to gauge things).

Yeah I put in a good hour or 2 with the Skippy on Mid Ohio in iracing last night, couldnt go back to 2D.. I rely on it for elevation changes

mclaren777

Hey mclaren, can you point me to some good mods for rFactor 2? Any lighting mods would be great, cars/tracks whatever.

Most of the best looking mods are still in development (Top Gear test track, Croft, Formula 3, etc) but you can find a decent list of released mods below.

Link

OrangeOak

My PC is prety weak so I play some older PC sims lately like GTR2 and Race 07.
What I like in these games is that there are safty cars,flag rules,50+ AI cars on track,punctures and all this stuff thay you can see in real racing and is absent in console sims.
GTR2 with its day/night cycle and pretty nice "natural looking" art still holds up pretty nice IMO.
Really good game for people that are new to PC sims.
Track selection is pretty weak though and tracks from modding community are not always that accurate.
One lap on Spa:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RaDmtLiM-s

Top Bottom