• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC to PS3 Media Streaming (DLNA) Thread

Is there any way to better configure what folders show up? There's a lot of options there and I want to disable some of them to streamline it. Like I don't need All Video or Date Added. Heck, I don't need Photo and Music to show up when I select the server under Video. I was hoping to simplify it so that it's easier for other people to use without getting confused.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Marty Chinn said:
Is there any way to better configure what folders show up? There's a lot of options there and I want to disable some of them to streamline it. Like I don't need All Video or Date Added. Heck, I don't need Photo and Music to show up when I select the server under Video. I was hoping to simplify it so that it's easier for other people to use without getting confused.

An admin on the forums says editing the menus will be added at a later date.

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?t=1379&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

dfyb

Banned
WMP11 has never worked for me. have never seen ps3 (unknown device) or any other devices in the shar elist. have tried all options.

jakeellis01

I am currently using TVersity and find it much better than Nero Media Home... TVersity seems to transcode much faster.

Got only one problem with TVersity, when I try to copy a video file (not supported by the PS3 like a WMV) it gives me a media server connectivity problem, MP3s and Photos don't give me errors though.

On the other hand with Nero Media Home, it works (transcodes to mpg and copies).

Anyone has the same problems?
Any Ideas how to make copying work?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jakeellis01 said:
I am currently using TVersity and find it much better than Nero Media Home... TVersity seems to transcode much faster.

Got only one problem with TVersity, when I try to copy a video file (not supported by the PS3 like a WMV) it gives me a media server connectivity problem, MP3s and Photos don't give me errors though.

On the other hand with Nero Media Home, it works (transcodes to mpg and copies).

Anyone has the same problems?
Any Ideas how to make copying work?

Why would you want to copy an unsupported format to the PS3?

jakeellis01

TTP said:
Why would you want to copy an unsupported format to the PS3?

thats not the point...

Lets say i want to copy a 10second advert from my PC to the PS3, with nero media home i used to press triangle... and copy... nero would transcode the video and copy it on the ps3 as an mpg although it was a wmv.

TVersity should do the same thing since it transcodes movies on the fly, but gives me a media server error.

Am I the only one who encountered this problem?

Mmmkay

Oh **** media streaming in the ass.

Okay so I have this video, it's 1 minute long, 40MB, and has an ABR of around 5.5Mbps. Said video plays perfectly fine directly from the PS3 HDD and from a memory stick, however when media streamed either from MediaHome or TVersity things go to shit. It's definitely not transcoding as the codec identifier says it's AVC, but when in the media directory the PS3 thinks that the file is 5500 Mbps! I had this kind of issue with another AVC file that thought it was 330Mbps when in reality it was nowhere near that. And, as I said this file plays fine from within the XMB, and its realtime bitrate indicator never goes above 7Mbps... When streamed, the PS3 (or the media servers) actually spike the bitrate meter to over 50Mbps and the file stutters along. It's not a performance stutter, but a bandwidth one as the server desperately tries to buffer the imaginary amounts of data that are believed to be needed.

This all came about because a new version of PS3Video9 came out the other day. It finally offers MKV passthrough to convert a H.264 HP@5.1 video to a MP@4.1 video without trans or re-encoding. Aside from a serious amount of bugs in this latest version unrelated to the problem I'm describing, it works as it promises. So now this new version of PS3Video9 is out, I can convert my HP@5.1 movies to a PS3 friendly format preserving video quality witout waiting 17 weeks to re-encode it.

It's no coincidence that the bitrate it 'thinks' the video is happens to be the computed ABR of the file in kbps... So it looks like a glitch, but I can't gauge whether it's coming from the PS3 or from two independent streaming servers. And if it's the former I'm ****ed.

Once this shit is cleared up, it opens the next phase of operations which is to preserve 5.1 audio. Currently, this is looking to be achieved by downmixing the 5.1 AC3 audio to Dolby Pro Logic II AAC stereo. In theory it should work and be the best option available, but I can't work on it or test it when the eoiahgpohafgojhsdfkghsdf file won't stream back like a ****ing oiajegofggkjdfg.

rothbart

dfyb said:
WMP11 has never worked for me. have never seen ps3 (unknown device) or any other devices in the shar elist. have tried all options.

Do you have ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) enabled? I do (I have a USB wireless adapter for my DS/PSP) and if you dig into the docs (or web) deep enough, you'll find that enabling ICS can keep UPnP (and apparently DLNA) stuff from working on that machine... I had to move my WMP 11 setup to another machine but am considering just moving the USB Wifi access point to that other machine and putting the DLNA/UPnP stuff on my main (faster) machine.

Zoe

Does anybody know a good way to make playlists with Asian characters? They all turn into ??? with winamp and mp3tag.

Lain

Zoe said:
Does anybody know a good way to make playlists with Asian characters? They all turn into ??? with winamp and mp3tag.

Do they turn to ??? inside the programs, or from your media streaming server of choice?
Winamp should have full unicode support, and Mp3tag shows me all the asian characters np, so it's weird that would happen.
I've noticed that for mp3s you would need the tags to be in ID3v2.3 UTF-16 for programs like TwonkyMedia, since with ID3v2.4 UTF-8 it makes a mess of asian tags when streamed to the PS3 (this is a problem of the streaming servers, as far as I know).
Also, with WMP11 I used to get the ??? with mp3 files containing asian characters, but not with wavpack images containing asian characters (so could still be a problem with the ID3v2.4 UTF-8 tags that aren't supported as they should by some programs).

Do a test with Mp3tag: save the tags into the ID3v2.3 UTF-16 format and see if, when streaming, you still get ??? for asian characters.
Also, it goes without question that you have asian characters support enabled in your OS.

Zoe

They show up fine in the programs and the PS3. It's only when I try to make a playlist that it turns into the question marks.

I'm assuming it would work if I went into Notepad and copy/paste all the titles and saved it in Unicode, but that's a lot of work to put into mere playlists.

Zoe said:
They show up fine in the programs and the PS3. It's only when I try to make a playlist that it turns into the question marks.

I'm assuming it would work if I went into Notepad and copy/paste all the titles and saved it in Unicode, but that's a lot of work to put into mere playlists.
are you using the latest winamp?

Zoe

The Faceless Master said:
are you using the latest winamp?

Using 5.35. Reformatted my computer last weekend, so all of my programs are current. Re-tagged all of my files last weekend as well with Mp3tag to follow the same format.

acklame

TVersity works great for videos, but for some reason I can't get audio/pictures to work. The folder structures all show up correctly in xmb, but when i go into them, it couldn't find any titles. Any ideas why?

tha_con

Banned
So I've got Nero MediaServer to work, but most of my video files show up as a mere 3-6 second clips, and it won't play them in their entirety?

DrXym

I have streaming + transcoding working via Nero MediaHome however the lack of pause let alone fast forward / rewind for transcoded content renders it almost useless. I think I'm more likely to use DLNA with .mp4 content which doesn't need transcoding rather than lose such basic functionality. And transcoding has no subtitles either which is important if you're deaf or the movie is in another language (e.g. Das Boot)

It's impressive that I can transcode at all but I look forward to truly seamless streaming.

Am I the only one who is putting any additional effort on hold because the PC apps are going to get SO much better and trouble-free in the next few weeks/months?

tha_con

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Am I the only one who is putting any additional effort on hold because the PC apps are going to get SO much better and trouble-free in the next few weeks/months?

Nope, I'm right along there with you right now :lol

I've disabled it and gone back to converting video for now.

rc213

beermonkey@tehbias said:

With both the X360 and PS3 accepting several of the same codecs, Someone should make a NAS Server that has some form of transcoding built in. Make some $$$

KrispeKreme

Another tweak for Tversity, when running as a service is to set all 3 failure options on the Recovery tab to "Restart the Service". this way if the service ever crashes the system will restart it automatically, just set Restart service after to 1 min.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
rothbart said:
Do you have ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) enabled? I do (I have a USB wireless adapter for my DS/PSP) and if you dig into the docs (or web) deep enough, you'll find that enabling ICS can keep UPnP (and apparently DLNA) stuff from working on that machine... I had to move my WMP 11 setup to another machine but am considering just moving the USB Wifi access point to that other machine and putting the DLNA/UPnP stuff on my main (faster) machine.

thank you...Thank you...Thank You..THANK YOU. THANK YOU! This solved my WMP 11 problems :D

rothbart

Killthee said:
thank you...Thank you...Thank You..THANK YOU. THANK YOU! This solved my WMP 11 problems :D

Glad I could help out. I struggled with that one for quite some time myself before I stumbled upon that tidbit somewhere.

dfyb

Banned
rothbart said:
thanks for the heads up. think i do have it on -- will test it now.

works like a charm :)

acklame said:
TVersity works great for videos, but for some reason I can't get audio/pictures to work. The folder structures all show up correctly in xmb, but when i go into them, it couldn't find any titles. Any ideas why?

This is the exact problem I'm having. Has anyone found a fix for this?

EternalGamer said:

I found out what i was doing wrong and I feel very, very stupid. You have to select the tab on the PS3's menu for the type of media you want to access. I was still under the "video" tab on the XMB trying to access photos and music. :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
EternalGamer said:

Works fine to me. You sure you are looking for them under the proper XMB icon? If you look for, say, pictures under the movie XMB icon they don't show up.

edit: there u go ;)

Oni Jazar

EternalGamer said:
I found out what i was doing wrong and I feel very, very stupid. You have to select the tab on the PS3's menu for the type of media you want to access. I was still under the "video" tab on the XMB trying to access photos and music. :lol

Post #5 on this thread. ;)

Dazzla

Anyone having problems with WMP11 sharing? I'm using that for Music and Photos (TVersity for Video) and it's working fine except for one annoyance. Nothing is in order.

When browsing by Albums the tracks aren't in order, when browsing playlists the tracks aren't in the same order. Anyone get the same?

Oni Jazar said:

Thanks, now I feel even dumber. To my credit, though, there is a file selection that comes up for "Music, Video or Photos" under TVersity's own menu and that's what caused the confusion.

At any rate, it is working now. TVersity seems to work far better on both my PS3 and my Xbox360 than the Media Center did on my 360 alone. A lot more versatile in terms of support and functionality.

I have a question involving the use of TVersity on the PS3 vs. the 360. I have noticed that when I play back .avi files on the 360 they run in their original aspect ratio (in this particular case 16:9) but when I run the same video on the PS3 and set my TV to native aspect ratio it runs in 4:3.

Also there seems to be significantly less artifacting in the video playback when I play it on the 360 versus the PS3. I just played back the same scene using my 360 and PS3 and the 360 version looked dramatically better. Both of my systems are hooked up via component cables and I figured the transcoding is being done by my PC in each case, so I'm confused as to why I would notice any quality difference at all.

Regardless though, getting both of them running was a snap with TVersity. I highly recommend it. It was much easier for me to setup than even using the supposedly "user friendly" MediaCenter connect on the 360. I had to constantly reconnect MediaCenter between my PC and 360 everytime I unhooked my laptop from the network, which meant I had to write down a code on my 360, take it to my PC, reinstall Mediaconnect, etc. Eventually I just stopped reconfiguring it. TVersity is far less of a hassle, no codes to right down, no reinstallations everytime I disconnect/reconnect my laptop to the network, and far more robust format compatibility. Even more awesome, it works on BOTH PS3 and 360 w/o any additional configuring.

Core407

Banned
EternalGamer said:
I have a question involving the use of TVersity on the PS3 vs. the 360. I have noticed that when I play back .avi files on the 360 they run in their original aspect ratio (in this particular case 16:9) but when I run the same video on the PS3 and set my TV to native aspect ratio it runs in 4:3.

Also there seems to be significantly less artifacting in the video playback when I play it on the 360 versus the PS3. I just played back the same scene using my 360 and PS3 and the 360 version looked dramatically better. Both of my systems are hooked up via component cables and I figured the transcoding is being done by my PC in each case, so I'm confused as to why I would notice any quality difference at all.

Regardless though, getting both of them running was a snap with TVersity. I highly recommend it. It was much easier for me to setup than even using the supposedly "user friendly" MediaCenter connect on the 360. I had to constantly reconnect MediaCenter between my PC and 360 everytime I unhooked my laptop from the network, which meant I had to write down a code on my 360, take it to my PC, reinstall Mediaconnect, etc. Eventually I just stopped reconfiguring it. TVersity is far less of a hassle, no codes to right down, no reinstallations everytime I disconnect/reconnect my laptop to the network, and far more robust format compatibility. Even more awesome, it works on BOTH PS3 and 360 w/o any additional configuring.

I don't use TVersity but there might be an option to set the resolution to it's original form. NeroHome Media has an option to change the video during transcoding to either 16:9, 4:3 or keep the original resolution.

Core407 said:
I don't use TVersity but there might be an option to set the resolution to it's original form. NeroHome Media has an option to change the video during transcoding to either 16:9, 4:3 or keep the original resolution.

Nope, TVersity is set to native aspect ratio. (By the way, does anybody know the difference between "video resolution" and "image resolution"? Video resolution's default is set at 400 x 300 max but "image" is set for 1024 x 1280. Do I need to change this to maximize the image quality?)

With this new streaming feature, now I really, really want music playback in game on the PS3 so I can listen to podcasts while I play (like I can on the 360). It would be great for leveling up in FFXII.

Yixian

Banned
Did anyone ever find a freeware way to stream from a Mac to the PS3?

I guess VLC will have DNLA support soon if not.

Kinan

Oni Jazar said:

even better, it was mentioned in the OP. .P

EternalGamer said:
Nope, TVersity is set to native aspect ratio. (By the way, does anybody know the difference between "video resolution" and "image resolution"? Video resolution's default is set at 400 x 300 max but "image" is set for 1024 x 1280. Do I need to change this to maximize the image quality?)

With this new streaming feature, now I really, really want music playback in game on the PS3 so I can listen to podcasts while I play (like I can on the 360). It would be great for leveling up in FFXII.

Image is for photos, video - well, for videos.

Kinan said:
even better, it was mentioned in the OP. .P

Image is for photos, video - well, for videos.

Jesus, I'm dumb today and I can't even blame it on any recreational substances, which I haven't had in any form for quite some time.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Not sure if this fix has bee posted or not, but for people who can't seem to get the PS3 to see their PC or vice versa after trying everything, I've found a solution that finally worked.

After spending hours forwarding ports, disabling/adding firewall rules and restarting my PS3 and PC many times, I found a simple fix.

I had known that certain Linksys routers caused issues in a few different online multi-player games requiring ports to be opened in order for the game to be played properly online.
Having a Linksys router (BEFSR41), I decided to take it out of the equation. I simply connected my PS3 and media PC on a switch before uplinking the switch to my router, placing them on the same local segment.

Sure enough, without making any tweaks to MP11 or Nero Media Home, they were both available from the XMB and working flawlessly.

Those experiencing problems like I was and that have a switch/hub available, give it a shot.

There still may be a fix that can be performed on the router itself, but I've tried everything I'm aware of including firmware updates etc.

Just thought I'd share.

EternalGamer said:

sounds like you're confusing MCE with WMP11/WMC

AZ Greg

I managed to setup TVersity with my PS3 last night and most of the process with smoothly. The PS3 picks it up and music streams fine. However, I'm having small problems with video and picture streaming. MP4 files stream fine but when I try and stream an AVI file the picture comes out upside down on my TV. Anybody have an idea on what is causing this or what needs to be done to correct it?

Also, not sure what is causing it but I streamed a handful of JPEGs all from the same source and some worked while others didn't. On the pictures that didn't work I got the message saying that the system couldn't communicate with the media server. Any ideas?

skrew

Banned
I was having a issue with AC3 sound being garbled with TVersity, .mkv files would get transcoded fine but the sound was all messed up. To fix this, goto the TVersity service>Logon and change it from local system account to whatever account you are using.

garrickk

AZ Greg said:
I managed to setup TVersity with my PS3 last night and most of the process with smoothly. The PS3 picks it up and music streams fine. However, I'm having small problems with video and picture streaming. MP4 files stream fine but when I try and stream an AVI file the picture comes out upside down on my TV. Anybody have an idea on what is causing this or what needs to be done to correct it?

Also, not sure what is causing it but I streamed a handful of JPEGs all from the same source and some worked while others didn't. On the pictures that didn't work I got the message saying that the system couldn't communicate with the media server. Any ideas?
Someone on TVersity's forum complained about upside down video. They claimed to uninstall ffdshow and then upgraded to the latest version and it fixed their problem.

Their forums are pretty good for support.

I'm using ffdshow rev 1245 (6/4/07) without incident. Transcoding everything.
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mmmkay said:
This all came about because a new version of PS3Video9 came out the other day. It finally offers MKV passthrough to convert a H.264 HP@5.1 video to a MP@4.1 video without trans or re-encoding. Aside from a serious amount of bugs in this latest version unrelated to the problem I'm describing, it works as it promises. So now this new version of PS3Video9 is out, I can convert my HP@5.1 movies to a PS3 friendly format preserving video quality witout waiting 17 weeks to re-encode it.

what!?

Are you saying you can rapidly (like 2 minutes) convert x264 stuff from newsgroups into PS3 friendly format with surround audio intact? I'm currently using .ts files which can be similarly converted using VLC wizard, but x264 will be smaller.

Top Bottom