• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC to PS3 Media Streaming (DLNA) Thread

Mmmkay

mrklaw said:
what!?

Are you saying you can rapidly (like 2 minutes) convert x264 stuff from newsgroups into PS3 friendly format with surround audio intact? I'm currently using .ts files which can be similarly converted using VLC wizard, but x264 will be smaller.
It still downmixes the audio, that's the main time consuming part of the process. It's why I was going to look into DPL II encoding for AAC audio, but until this bitrate glitch is fixed on the PS3 end, I can't be bothered to test it.

Quick question for videophiles. I have some .avi files I am streaming to my PS3 and 360 via TVersity but I've notice that after about 40 minutes or so the performance tends to drop off (stuttering and pausing and video and audio go out of sync for a few seconds).

So, I want to convert these files over to another format that is directly compatible with the PS3 or 360 (or even better, both). I have a program called Super that can pretty much convert them to any file format I like, but I don't know what would be the best format for compatibility and maintaining Picture quality.

Deeku

Has the new 1.81 update screwed something up?? Because I swear that when I was on 1.80, I could stream my music which is in m4a (the itunes format). It shows up as PCM on the ps3.
But now after I updated to 1.81, it's not working...all the tracks are just 0 mins in length....
Has anyone experienced this?? I'm using Vaio Media Server btw.

Sorry i don't have iTunes format music but i also noticed something.
I can almost swear that my output was in 1080i all the time and now it's only in 1080i when i'm in the PS3 menus. Even NBA 2K7 is in 720p.
My TV have a resolution of 1366 x 768 maybe now the PS3 chose the 720p because the resolution priority changed ?

I don't know if 1080i is better than 720p but i think it looked better on my TV (though the full HDMI was the best amelioration i noticed)

spwolf

Chû Totoro said:
Sorry i don't have iTunes format music but i also noticed something.
I can almost swear that my output was in 1080i all the time and now it's only in 1080i when i'm in the PS3 menus. Even NBA 2K7 is in 720p.
My TV have a resolution of 1366 x 768 maybe now the PS3 chose the 720p because the resolution priority changed ?

I don't know if 1080i is better than 720p but i think it looked better on my TV (though the full HDMI was the best amelioration i noticed)

it should definetly look better in 720p on your tv...

Kinan

I was using 1080i mode in everything for a while, but after 1.80 I played a bit with Sony BD test patterns, and find out that 720p performs better on my little 26" 720p Bravia. So I have 720p everywhere now.

glaurung

Has anyone figured out a way to change the icon of the media server button in the XMB? I want to get rid of the WMP or TVersity icons.

Sh0k

I'm having a problem, my PS3 can see my Pictures fine using WMP11 but my problem is with my Music, I have iTunes installed and the PS3 can see the iTunes folder under the MyMusic folder, but when I open the folder, it only shows a couple of sample songs, even though I have over 4,000 songs stored in that folder.

Any ideas how can I play my iTunes music through my PS3 ?

glaurung

Sh0k said:
I'm having a problem, my PS3 can see my Pictures fine using WMP11 but my problem is with my Music, I have iTunes installed and the PS3 can see the iTunes folder under the MyMusic folder, but when I open the folder, it only shows a couple of sample songs, even though I have over 4,000 songs stored in that folder.

Any ideas how can I play my iTunes music through my PS3 ?

Use something else for streaming the music - WMP11 enforces DRM and does not allow you to play iTunes tracks as such.

Nero Media Home actually converts the tracks on the fly, so you can try that one.

I cannot say what TVersity does right now.

TVersity converts audio to PCM. works just great, but i have no itunes stuff to vouch for that.

i'm having a different problem at the moment with TVersity.

some of my video files when i play them on the ps3 play upside down. they play fine on my PC. they play fine on Media Center Extender on my 360 using Transcode 360.

i've tried uninstalling all my codecs and reinstalling ffdshow, but still the exact same thing.

the only clue that i've stumbled on is that if i tell ffdshow not to decode divx and xvid that the videos that play upside down on the ps3 also play upside down on the PC.

i can't remember off the top of my head if it's divx or xvid that's playing upside down, i just know that it's only one of them.

i have tried using other divx/xvid codecs to rememdy it, and no dice.

i had everything working a couple of weeks ago, but my hard drive went down and i've since reinstalled.

anyone got any suggestions?

Thrakier

I have a Problem with Windows Media Connect and MP3 Playback. Works fine with 360 but my PS2 plays a bit and than starts to loop the same 3 to 4 secons oder and over. :(

EDIT:

It always loops between two songs!

RuGalz

plagiarize said:
TVersity converts audio to PCM. works just great, but i have no itunes stuff to vouch for that.

i'm having a different problem at the moment with TVersity.

some of my video files when i play them on the ps3 play upside down. they play fine on my PC. they play fine on Media Center Extender on my 360 using Transcode 360.

i've tried uninstalling all my codecs and reinstalling ffdshow, but still the exact same thing.

the only clue that i've stumbled on is that if i tell ffdshow not to decode divx and xvid that the videos that play upside down on the ps3 also play upside down on the PC.

i can't remember off the top of my head if it's divx or xvid that's playing upside down, i just know that it's only one of them.

i have tried using other divx/xvid codecs to rememdy it, and no dice.

i had everything working a couple of weeks ago, but my hard drive went down and i've since reinstalled.

anyone got any suggestions?

I had that problem when I used certain version(s) of ffdshow. I cannot remember the version numbers. Search on the TVersity forum and you will find it. On the other hand, I just went with k-lite codec pack and they pack the right version in it...

Zoe

Has anybody solved the WRT54GS problems without DD-WRT? We just got it and turns out the version isn't compatible :(

RuGalz

Zoe said:
Has anybody solved the WRT54GS problems without DD-WRT? We just got it and turns out the version isn't compatible :(

If you simply disable UPnP on the router, you should still be able to use the streaming feature. That's what I did until I gave in and flashed the firmware.

Zoe

RuGalz said:
If you simply disable UPnP on the router, you should still be able to use the streaming feature. That's what I did until I gave in and flashed the firmware.

Wouldn't that affect other services then? :\

I still hold out hope for divx or xvid support soon

Can anyone suggest another good conversion software?
PS3 Video 9 does not seem to like Vista 64 Ultimate

Lain

You can now use high profile when making H264 encodes for your PS3, but you're restricted to level 4.1 (level 4.2 should work too, but haven't encoded for the PS3 in a while so I don't remember...).

Pale

Has anyone been able to get the PS3 to actually play songs in album track order instead of alphabetical order?

It's pretty stupid that even when you navigate into your server via album organization, the songs are in alphabetical order. It ticks me right off.

I'm using WMP11 on XP if that matters. Would going to Nero or one of the other options solve the problem?

Kinan

Pale said:
Has anyone been able to get the PS3 to actually play songs in album track order instead of alphabetical order?

It's pretty stupid that even when you navigate into your server via album organization, the songs are in alphabetical order. It ticks me right off.

I'm using WMP11 on XP if that matters. Would going to Nero or one of the other options solve the problem?

Make a playlist? Tversity supports them.

Pale

While I've been tempted to make a playlist or retitle all of the songs to have the track number in front, the amount of effort that would take to do it to my entire library seems silly.

The track number is in the mp3 file and the ps3 should use them. It uses that same data to organize by album and artist...

meh, I guess I'll just have to hope for an update.

Kinan

Yea, they definitely need to add more sorting options to all parts of XMB. My second most requested feature atm, easily, after divx/xvid support.

Dazzla

I had the same problem, it's stupidly annoying. Even playlists through WMP11 (XP or Vista) came out in alphabetical order, it's stupid.

I'm also finding a few annoyances with Nero Mediahome as well, like video cutting off 13 seconds before the end, no playlist support, and no ability to pause transcoding video!

I'm a sucker for the more streamlined navigation and thumbnails it creates though.

Pale

Dazzla said:
I had the same problem, it's stupidly annoying. Even playlists through WMP11 (XP or Vista) came out in alphabetical order, it's stupid.

I'm also finding a few annoyances with Nero Mediahome as well, like video cutting off 13 seconds before the end, no playlist support, and no ability to pause transcoding video!

I'm a sucker for the more streamlined navigation and thumbnails it creates though.
Does this imply that Nero does not have the alphabetical only issue? I'd like to know before I burn the time setting it all up.

Dazzla

Nero doesn't have the alphabetical issue. Tracks are listed in the correct order, it just doesn't have playlist support (from what I've seen).

jonabbey

TwonkyMedia Server plays all of my albums in proper order, but the ordering didn't work properly prior to PS3 firmware 1.90.. they had a bug in the PS3 DLNA support, they were sorting all folders by URLs, rather than accepting URLs in the order they were being received from the DLNA server.

I heard somebody, somewhere, was working on free Mac OS X DLNA software. I've been keeping up with this thread since its inception so unless I'm badly mistaken it hasn't been mentioned here, but has anyone heard anything more specific about that project?

The Mac OS X DLNA server software available is all paid and none of it can even transcode :(

rc213

FreeNAS v0.685b2 is out and it now works with the PS3. UPnP DLNA profile has been added to the UPnP settings. I tried it out and I can see and play pictures, music and videos perfectly. But since it is beta it's still pretty unstable, at least for me.

Ignore this please, Turns out 1 of my 2 memory sticks went bad. Removed and it's now running perfect.

ty_hot

I bought my PS3 60GB and one WiFi router for 1100USD... (thx brazilian taxes)

so

i just udated it for the last firmware, and then tried to use the DLNA... with the program "TVersity"

In the first time I could copy, see, and play movies, photos and musics... but in the second time I connected with TVersity, the musics continue opening, but when I try to open any video, the Tversity Server on the PC give me an error and closes. It's an error like the other from the windows, just talk that a error ocoured, but don't explain how to make it don't occuor another time... lol

so, what can I do?

I've already searched on the tversity site about this, and found nothing :(

I want to see my rmvb movies on th TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

wich other programs can transcode on the fly? I've tried with Nero, but it don't worked ...(using windows XP)

sorry for the english, I'm brazilian :D

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
ty_hot said:
I bought my PS3 60GB and one WiFi router for 1100USD... (thx brazilian taxes)

so

i just udated it for the last firmware, and then tried to use the DLNA... with the program "TVersity"

In the first time I could copy, see, and play movies, photos and musics... but in the second time I connected with TVersity, the musics continue opening, but when I try to open any video, the Tversity Server on the PC give me an error and closes. It's an error like the other from the windows, just talk that a error ocoured, but don't explain how to make it don't occuor another time... lol

so, what can I do?

I've already searched on the tversity site about this, and found nothing :(

I want to see my rmvb movies on th TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

wich other programs can transcode on the fly? I've tried with Nero, but it don't worked ...(using windows XP)

sorry for the english, I'm brazilian :D

Did you get the latest version of Tversity? That happened to me before and i had to Recreate Media Library in the Advanced Option at the top. It will take awhile (maybe an hour if your media is a few gigs) to update. Afterwards it should work. It worked for me anyways. :D

ty_hot

TONX said:
Did you get the latest version of Tversity? That happened to me before and i had to Recreate Media Library in the Advanced Option at the top. It will take awhile (maybe an hour if your media is a few gigs) to update. Afterwards it should work. It worked for me anyways. :D

Yer, I'm using the latest version of TVersity

I'm going to recreate my library (just 2 videos and a few mp3) and try another time

Anoter question, the when transcoding AVI files, tversity input subtitles in it if th AVI and the subtitle have the same name?

Thx

ty_hot

I recreated the library, and have the same problem... crash on te mediaserver.exe on PC and the PS3 freeze in a black screen... I pressed "O" and the PS3 didn't returned for the XMB.. but pressing the PS Button it worked, and I shuted down the consle...

I reinstaled TVersity, the same problem...

Then I tried with nero and the PS3 also freezed when started a video (same black screen)...

There is any other program that is a DLNA server and have Transcoding on the fly?

Lain

What were you trying to watch?
I have the mediaserver.exe crash when not using the -debug line and trying to watch some divx (usually with softsubs).
I'd consider trying to remove any codec packs if you are using one and installing the normal ffdshow and see if mediaserver.exe still crashes when playing the videos that made it crash before.

ty_hot

Lain said:
What were you trying to watch?
I have the mediaserver.exe crash when not using the -debug line and trying to watch some divx (usually with softsubs).
I'd consider trying to remove any codec packs if you are using one and installing the normal ffdshow and see if mediaserver.exe still crashes when playing the videos that made it crash before.

I downloaded the Mega Codec Pack (latest version) befor buy my PS3

then, after buy it, I installed the TVersity and all codecs that are recomended in it's official website.

In the firts time I used it, everything worked perfectly. I saw a fex seconds os videos in rmvb and in avi also without any problems. But after te first time, it always crash

How can I use this "-debug" line? I readed about it but I don't know how tu use it?

vpance

Do you have vobsub installed? It crashed for me if I tried to play videos with subs that used it. Uninstalled and works good now, using ffdshow subs instead.

ty_hot

No, I don't have vobsub...

Here it crashes in both, wit and without subtitles :(

Now I tried with the "-debug", and do not crashed :)

but told "unsuported media"

with this line it can't transcode the videos?

and I also haven't found my photos and musics

I'm going to recreate the library and try another time

Lain

ty_hot said:
I downloaded the Mega Codec Pack (latest version) befor buy my PS3

then, after buy it, I installed the TVersity and all codecs that are recomended in it's official website.

In the firts time I used it, everything worked perfectly. I saw a fex seconds os videos in rmvb and in avi also without any problems. But after te first time, it always crash

How can I use this "-debug" line? I readed about it but I don't know how tu use it?

To use the -debug line, you have to start the mediaserver.exe manually.
A good way to do so (if you installed TVersity to the default destination) is from: Start>Run>"C:\Programs\TVersity\Media Server\MediaServer.exe" -debug
This way could help you play those videos that make the mediaserver.exe crash, but you won't get softsubs.

Also, what vpance said. Vobsub is what makes my mediaserver.exe crash when there are softsubs. With it disabled it doesn't crash, but as he wrote, you have to set ffdshow to handle the softsubs.

Lain

ty_hot said:
Now I tried with the "-debug", and do not crashed :)

but told "unsuported media"

with this line it can't transcode the videos?

With -debug I can transcode both Divx and XviD encoded videos (actually, it is the only way I can transcode Xvid stuff from my PC to the PS3, for some reasons).

ty_hot

Oh thx everbody :)

Now it finally played the video :)

but I'm having problem (another lol)... It usually don't find any files when they are in Folders... only find when I add the file, not all the folder...

for videos it isn't bad, because i'll not see more than 2 videos in a day... but for musics... :lol

How can I make it work with subtitle? I couldn't find anything about it on the settings :/

EDIT

OMG

I tried another time, and tne MediaServer crashed :/

I finally found the problem (o think)

it crashes when try to open an AVI file, or when try to explore a folder that have a AVI file in it...

that option "Read tags from AVI files" is for what? Because when it's "on", the problem i wrote above come back to life... and when it's "off" the PS3 can't find any videos...

I think I'm not going to see any AVI video with TVersity :/

ty_hot

My Tversity/PS3 are crazy

the PS3 usually can't find any video files... and when it find, just play the rmvb one, the AVI makes the server crash...

there is any other program that transcode both avi with subtitle and rmvb for mpeg2 (or other codec that S3 can play)?

I'm going to see only movies in rmvb... which extension does the PS3 can play? (without transcode)... I can convert my AVI files for anyone that the PS3 plays... mpeg4 will play?

Cloak

I skimmed and searched this thread, haven’t found anything that works (maybe I missed something), but has anyone had a problem where the PC was not seeing the PS3 using anything? (Tried WMP 11 & TVersity)

I have my PC wired to my Westell DSL 327W modem/router and the PS3 connected wirelessly. I only have one network so they are on the same segment 192.168.1.XXX. I tried turning off my PC's firewall (the windows XP one) and setting UPnP to automatic. Still nothing, On the PS3, should UPnP be enabled? Also I’ve enabled UPnP on my router. Doing so lets WMP see my router, but not the PS3.

Just to test if it’s my network or something with my router, I have a second, rarely used, PC (was supposed to be a mock media center) and its running XP. I had to d/l WMP11 then I started the sharing and, boom there was “unknown device”. On the PS3 it saw this 2nd PC. Still cant connect though… gave me some error about PS3 being allowed to access the PC. But this is one step further than my regular PC can get. (A side note, shutting off UPnP on the router does not stop the PS3 connecting the my 2nd PC). I’ve also reinstalled WMP11 on my regular PC…. And nothing…

Am I missing some service? I compared the services that are running on both PC’s and the only differences are those services that are for programs that have nothing to do with anything… Also checked the Windows firewall ports… and they are the same

It may be drastic, but I’m thinking about doing a restore on windows, though I have a feeling it won’t do anything.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

SS4Rob

rc213 said:
FreeNAS v0.685b2 is out and it now works with the PS3. UPnP DLNA profile has been added to the UPnP settings. I tried it out and I can see and play pictures, music and videos perfectly. But since it is beta it's still pretty unstable, at least for me.

Ignore this please, Turns out 1 of my 2 memory sticks went bad. Removed and it's now running perfect.

This doesn't transcode does it?

rc213

SS4Rob said:
This doesn't transcode does it?

No it does not unfortunately, I just dump everything on it in MPEG-2 format.

I have it running on a old Compaq with a 700mhz Duron with 512mb of PC133. :lol

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Cloak said:
I skimmed and searched this thread, haven’t found anything that works (maybe I missed something), but has anyone had a problem where the PC was not seeing the PS3 using anything? (Tried WMP 11 & TVersity)

I have my PC wired to my Westell DSL 327W modem/router and the PS3 connected wirelessly. I only have one network so they are on the same segment 192.168.1.XXX. I tried turning off my PC's firewall (the windows XP one) and setting UPnP to automatic. Still nothing, On the PS3, should UPnP be enabled? Also I’ve enabled UPnP on my router. Doing so lets WMP see my router, but not the PS3.

Just to test if it’s my network or something with my router, I have a second, rarely used, PC (was supposed to be a mock media center) and its running XP. I had to d/l WMP11 then I started the sharing and, boom there was “unknown device”. On the PS3 it saw this 2nd PC. Still cant connect though… gave me some error about PS3 being allowed to access the PC. But this is one step further than my regular PC can get. (A side note, shutting off UPnP on the router does not stop the PS3 connecting the my 2nd PC). I’ve also reinstalled WMP11 on my regular PC…. And nothing…

Am I missing some service? I compared the services that are running on both PC’s and the only differences are those services that are for programs that have nothing to do with anything… Also checked the Windows firewall ports… and they are the same

It may be drastic, but I’m thinking about doing a restore on windows, though I have a feeling it won’t do anything.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

My WMP11 also wouldn't see the PS3 and vice versa until I turned off Internet connection Sharing. Do you have ICS on? As for the issue on your second PC, you have to allow the PS3 access to the WMP by clicking the Library menu arrow -> Media Sharing -> Check both of the boxes and allow the PS3 (it should be the "unknown device").

Top Bottom