• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC to PS3 Media Streaming (DLNA) Thread

Dazzla

JCtheMC said:
Am i the only having troubles with Nero Mediahome since the last update? (Firmware 2.0)

Any and all videofiles i try to play are "corrupted" according to the PS3. The same files worked perfectly before the update.

Edit: Solved the problem by Forcing Audio/Video Format instead of auto-detecting, in the Transcoding tab of MediaHome.

I'm such an ass sometimes.
I had a similar problem, this thread was the first place I turned. Maybe this is because the PS3 is sending out the signals that divx/xvid is ok but they've not quite implemented it yet.

Edit, actually, what did you force it to? MPEG2 just came up with the same error :/

marwan

Banned
im new to the whole DLNA thing, so i just want to know which is the simplest DLNA application out there? i have Nero 8 and it's great, but i was wondering if TVersity is any good in terms of being simpler and easier to work with.

thoughts?

skrew

Banned
marwan said:
im new to the whole DLNA thing, so i just want to know which is the simplest DLNA application out there? i have Nero 8 and it's great, but i was wondering if TVersity is any good in terms of being simpler and easier to work with.

thoughts?
tversity works great for me, takes a second to uninstall all codecs and only install the recommended ones, also vista users have to give the tversity service a log on as admin right for ac3 audio to work

once you have it set up, its flawless

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
New TVersity just came out with full support for 2.0 firmware improved network streaming. Now you can rewind and even fast-forward through the realtime transcoded streamed videos

marwan

Banned
ok i just tried it out and yes it is easier than Nero 8. I had it setup really quickly and it's playing some MPEG4 videos that i took using my digital camera, *BUT* for some reason i have TV series that i downloaded through torrent that are XVid videos, they appear on the PS3 as picture thumbnails, but when i play them i get a "The data is corrupt" message, then when i go back it shows a broken thumbnail! :(

those video run fine on the PC, but they wont play on my PS3...am i missing something?

when i installed TVersity, it gave some error when it tried downloading the codecs....could that be it?

also should i set the Transcode to "Only when Needed" or "always"? i tried both and XVid still won't play.

CamHostage

For some reason I think I asked this earlier in the thread but I can't find it...

Does anybody know if it's possible to simply run an Ethernet cable from my PC to my PS3 and have them handshake directly rather than going through a router? My connection is split throughout the house and the lag on video is pretty bad because of the cable transfer, even though my PS3 and PC are like 10 feet away from each other in my console. The transcoding will still be a problem in the cases that I use it, but a cheap RJ-45 would help smooth things over.

InsertCredit said:
I've been looking around for an ethernet drive, and it seems LaCie releases a 500gb dlna supporting ethernet drive for around $200 at the end of october. This kind of server should suffice?

Should be good, but that includes the drive? Most of those I have seen are about $200 and say "Max 500GB", not that they actually include the 500GB drive. However, most of the ones I look at are upload/download servers as well as file share servers, like this one that you can have set to download FTP and BitTorrents without having your computer on and then also serves them without transferring the file.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/08/qnaps-latest-bittorrent-nas-ts-109-pro-turbo-station/

I've also been looking around for a DLNA device that would do transcoding on the fly, but I haven't seen one.

patsu

You need to get everything working on Windows first. I have similar problems with WMV transcoding (to MP4). Can't get it to work on Windows. Therefore, my PS3 also can't recognize it.

Eventually, I switched to a Mac but have not tried Tversity on it yet. Also have a 1Tb Terastation Live now (using TwonkyMedia). Sad to say, I have not fully tested it too.

Dazzla

You may have a similar problem to me, 2.00 kind of screwed with transcoding. My setup was working perfectly with TVersity and Nero pre 2.00 but now it doesn't.

JCtheMC had the same problem and forced transcoding in Nero to get it to work but I've not stumbled across a combination that works. I've tried MPEG2 + LPCM, MPEG2+MP3, MPEG2+WAV, MP4, MPEG1 + various audio.

I guess you can try various combinations and if youre successful post back here, otherwise wait for JCtheMC to respond.

marwan

Banned
ok thanks, i'll fiddle around with today when i return from work, since it was already very late yesterday when i set it up, and i had to go to bed.

i'll also try using Nero 8 to see if it's a TVersity problem.

XonoX

Need some help from GAF smarts

The latest version of TVersity adds customizable hierarchy as discussed here in the official forums :

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?t=7973

What we learn at this link is that you can shortcut the 15 keystrokes from the ps3 XMB to get to folders that your vids are in.

If i choose 'Custom' from the Library Menu drop down, i see no media on the library tab or on the ps3.

I can edit the config.xml file all i like after that point but i still cannot get any media to populate the library.

Has anybody here got it to work ? Can you explain how it's done coz the posts at that site don't tell squat.

RuGalz

XonoX said:
Need some help from GAF smarts

The latest version of TVersity adds customizable hierarchy as discussed here in the official forums :

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?t=7973

What we learn at this link is that you can shortcut the 15 keystrokes from the ps3 XMB to get to folders that your vids are in.

If i choose 'Custom' from the Library Menu drop down, i see no media on the library tab or on the ps3.

I can edit the config.xml file all i like after that point but i still cannot get any media to populate the library.

Has anybody here got it to work ? Can you explain how it's done coz the posts at that site don't tell squat.

No need to edit config.xml. In Settings->Media Library, toward the top there is a "Media Library Menu" option; set it to custom. After that, in the Sharing tab, right click on each folder you are sharing and select Edit. Edit the Menu field to "X.Y.Z" where each "." is one level deeper in the hierarchy. You have to edit every sharing folder or the non-edited ones won't show up.

kuYuri

So, I've decided to go for the whole media streaming thing through my PS3. Can someone help me out using TVersity?

dfyb

Banned
so what's everyone's favorite winxp software to stream media to ps3? not too concerned with transcoding since ps3's getting divx support later.

Agent X

dfyb said:
so what's everyone's favorite winxp software to stream media to ps3? not too concerned with transcoding since ps3's getting divx support later.

I've been using TVersity. It's free and works very well for me.

Also, for those of you with Linksys WRT54G v5/v6 routers who had experienced connection problems with PSN when media streaming is enabled, I found a page out there with some good advice:

http://vibrantreality.wordpress.com/2007/10/27/ps3-and-linksys-wrt54g-the-solution/

I tried this on my WRT54G v6, and hallelujah, it worked! I was able to maintain a stable connection to both PSN and TVersity for close to two hours, even streaming the media files to my PSP via Remote Play for the majority of that time.

patsu

dfyb said:

I am using both Tversity and Windows Media.

SRG01

dfyb said:

You can use WMP11 for simple sharing. TVersity should be the ideal one once you get it working, since it supposedly offers forward/rewind functions.

i read most of the post in this thread (very interesting) as i plan to have a nice configuration for playing movies for my hdtv with a mediacenter.

I thought ps3 would make the deal, cause it's also blu-ray player.

So basically, what i'd like to do is to have my ps3 set up as a DLNA client and streaming all kind of videos from my main PC.

Before i go for such configuration, i have to make a summary of what works / what does not work :

1) File format supported.
=> From the latest 2.1 FW thread, i understood 2 key formats are still missing for ps3 :
* h264+AC3 in mkv container (or mp4 container)
* divx3.11
=> the problem if that i would have in this case to use some on the fly transcryption like tversity (i don't want in any case to touch / recode the original files as too time consuming)
=> does it work for 720p&1080p on a standard rig or is it choppy ?

2) Video browsing from ps3
=> Is is convenient enough ? can i search any video on the server, sort/group by artist, stars, genre, etc ? how can i get the photos of the DVD/movie (sry i'm beginner in mediacenter solutions so this miay be dumb question)

3) Video play
=> is is fast when you select a movie?
=> is there anydowngrade on certain type of files ?
=> are fastforward, stop, pause, rewind available (all MC solutions ? only certain ones ?)

well, maybe some answers are buried here so i'll have a look again.

SRG01

natureman3 said:
i read most of the post in this thread (very interesting) as i plan to have a nice configuration for playing movies for my hdtv with a mediacenter.

I thought ps3 would make the deal, cause it's also blu-ray player.

So basically, what i'd like to do is to have my ps3 set up as a DLNA client and streaming all kind of videos from my main PC.

Before i go for such configuration, i have to make a summary of what works / what does not work :

1) File format supported.
=> From the latest 2.1 FW thread, i understood 2 key formats are still missing for ps3 :
* h264+AC3 in mkv container (or mp4 container)
* divx3.11
=> the problem if that i would have in this case to use some on the fly transcryption like tversity (i don't want in any case to touch / recode the original files as too time consuming)
=> does it work for 720p&1080p on a standard rig or is it choppy ?

2) Video browsing from ps3
=> Is is convenient enough ? can i search any video on the server, sort/group by artist, stars, genre, etc ? how can i get the photos of the DVD/movie (sry i'm beginner in mediacenter solutions so this miay be dumb question)

3) Video play
=> is is fast when you select a movie?
=> is there anydowngrade on certain type of files ?
=> are fastforward, stop, pause, rewind available (all MC solutions ? only certain ones ?)

well, maybe some answers are buried here so i'll have a look again.

To my knowledge, h264 works in a mp4 container. Also, with the previous firmware update, you can group all sorts of things together, so it isn't bad at all. Video playback is fully featured (ie. FF, rewind, etc) so you don't have to worry about that.

However, with video transcoding a la TVersity, there are a few hiccups (IE. only the latest version will allow you to FF/rewind transcoded vids).

spwolf

SRG01 said:
You can use WMP11 for simple sharing. TVersity should be the ideal one once you get it working, since it supposedly offers forward/rewind functions.

WMP is so easy and so awesome for music+photos... amazing shit.

CamHostage said:
Should be good, but that includes the drive? Most of those I have seen are about $200 and say "Max 500GB", not that they actually include the 500GB drive.
I've also been looking around for a DLNA device that would do transcoding on the fly, but I haven't seen one.
I have a Maxtor Shared Storage II and it seems to work pretty well.

Transcoding shouldn't be very necessary once they add DIVX support.

RaidenZR

Does anyone know of a good, free, solution for Mac/PS3 owners? I tried the trial of EyeConnect and that worked fine, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $50.

RaidenZR said:
Does anyone know of a good, free, solution for Mac/PS3 owners? I tried the trial of EyeConnect and that worked fine, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $50.
I tried but i didn't manage to stream videos.
id' say that if eyeconnect had video stream that work nicely i'd may put 50$ in it.
or i'll wait for PS3connect...wich doesn't have any date

speculawyer said:
I have a Maxtor Shared Storage II and it seems to work pretty well.

Transcoding shouldn't be very necessary once they add DIVX support.

Well . . . speak of the devil . . . guess what just apparently showed up in Today's Firmware 2.10?

Divx & WMV support. Gotta check it out.

I'm having a problem. My ps3 will not show the videos that are in the folders. It says no fles. However, when I access it via internet explorer it shows all the files.

My WMP sharing was working great on my PS3, never had a problem with it. I got the latest updated and for the first day it worked fine. The next day I went to stream some videos but the videos wouldn't load up, then the media server section closed up and now I get an error message that says "Media Server DLNA protocol error (2006)".

The server is still noticed by the PS3 but it does not load up any of the files on any category. It was working one minute the next minute it stops working. I have done a search and cant find anything on DLNA errors so I don't know what to do. Anyone know anything?

Kinan

MiamiWesker said:
My WMP sharing was working great on my PS3, never had a problem with it. I got the latest updated and for the first day it worked fine. The next day I went to stream some videos but the videos wouldn't load up, then the media server section closed up and now I get an error message that says "Media Server DLNA protocol error (2006)".

The server is still noticed by the PS3 but it does not load up any of the files on any category. It was working one minute the next minute it stops working. I have done a search and cant find anything on DLNA errors so I don't know what to do. Anyone know anything?

Well, the error is probably due to fact that your media server service crashed. Restart you PC and PS3 and try again?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
can anyone help getting eyeconnect working? I've read on a few forums where people seem to be streaming vids, even xvid, just fine, but I get nothing.

I have my firewall turned off, my PS3 sees my mac, eyeconnect sees the PS3. I've set up all kinds of different folders to try different combinations, but nothing works.

the only thing that even shows up is music. I get the right heirarchy, but when I try and play, I get various errors. a big 8001xxxx something, and a couple of DNLA (2101 and 2103 I think)

No idea whats going on, and its very frustratig.

Dartastic

So I just picked up a PS3, and I was definitely interested in having my Macbook Pro stream stuff to my console. Mostly video, such as the 1up Show, various anime I dl, etc. Anyone have any updated information on any programs for Mac that allow me to stream stuff to my PS3? It seems like Eyeconnect won't let me download a trial version...

patsu

Dartastic said:
So I just picked up a PS3, and I was definitely interested in having my Macbook Pro stream stuff to my console. Mostly video, such as the 1up Show, various anime I dl, etc. Anyone have any updated information on any programs for Mac that allow me to stream stuff to my PS3? It seems like Eyeconnect won't let me download a trial version...

TwonkyVision is another possibility, but it has some shortfalls.

Some questions:

1) Is there some great web site/FAQ for PS3 multi-media hub info?

2) Can you watch divx/avi files through DLNA at all? I've been able to hook up a portable hdd drive to a USB port and I can watch an AVI file . . . but when I put the same file on my DLNA-supporting NAS server, it says "unsupported data". Is it my DLNA that is broken (it doesn't want to server such files?) or does the PS3 not support divx/avi files through DLNA?

Kinan

Queeg said:

Interesting, it even supports transcoding.

mrklaw said:
I'm not compiling it myself! anywhere that has it compiled already?

Cant find anything, description of install is not too complicated though, but I dont have Mac to check it, unfortunately.

speculawyer said:
Some questions:

2) Can you watch divx/avi files through DLNA at all? I've been able to hook up a portable hdd drive to a USB port and I can watch an AVI file . . . but when I put the same file on my DLNA-supporting NAS server, it says "unsupported data". Is it my DLNA that is broken (it doesn't want to server such files?) or does the PS3 not support divx/avi files through DLNA?

1) not that I know of. OP is getting somewhat outdated, maybe i need to update it eventually. :p

2) Basically you server doesnt know that PS3 can play divx files, so it doesnt send them. It is entirely possible to play your divx files through DLNA on PS3, tversity doing it just fine.

marwan

Banned
so what's up with the PS3 DivX support? it doesn't seem to play all DivX videos i throw at it, while the xbox 360 plays all DivX movies(even the ones that don't run on the PS3).

MadFuzzy

PS3 only plays DIVX 5.0 compatible files (not 3.11 which was widely used when the format first started to take off). It will play xvid encoded files as well, but won't play any that use advanced features (like custom matrixes, QPEL, etc) which you can check with tools like Media Info.

As for streaming, yes it does work but it depends on the softwre. TVersity is fine, but users of Twonkymedia need to update to the new version (4.4.3.1) which came out yesterday to get it to work. NAS versions of Twonky are here.

Kinan

marwan said:
so what's up with the PS3 DivX support? it doesn't seem to play all DivX videos i throw at it, while the xbox 360 plays all DivX movies(even the ones that don't run on the PS3).

Basically if its not playing on PS3 its either divx 3.11 or xvid with custom matrixes. x360 support xvid as well, while PS3 atm support only divx and xvid is playing only if it doesnt use some advanced xvid features.

Updated OP with information on installing FUPPES on Mac OS X. Good luck. :p

Kinan said:
You gotta connect it through router, direct connection will not bring you much.
Yeah I just want to share files. Does the router have to be connected to the internet? Because my PC is wireless, same with the PS3.

No_Style

speculawyer said:
Some questions:

DivX and Xvid work via the DLNA server built in the HP MV2020. (I rave about it here on my site) Nearly all my newer files work fine when streaming from the NAS. Any problem I have when playing files has to do with the PS3's DivX/XviD compatibility.

What kind of NAS server are you running with?

marwan

Banned
Kinan said:
Basically if its not playing on PS3 its either divx 3.11 or xvid with custom matrixes. x360 support xvid as well, while PS3 atm support only divx and xvid is playing only if it doesnt use some advanced xvid features.

Updated OP with information on installing FUPPES on Mac OS X. Good luck. :p

oh i see, well i hope Son releases a new update to upgrade DivX and Xvid playback support.

Kinan said:
2) Basically you server doesnt know that PS3 can play divx files, so it doesnt send them. It is entirely possible to play your divx files through DLNA on PS3, tversity doing it just fine.
Damn you Maxtor . . . update your crappy NAS software for the Shared Storage II.

I want to have a little NAS box that uses less power serving up DLNA instead of a noisy power-sucking PC.

Who makes the best DLNA implementation for a NAS box? Buffalo?

CrushDance said:
I connected an ethernet cable from my PC to PS3 directly. What now?
If you use a cross over cable and you know what you are doing, you could probably get this to work. But you are going to have to manually assign IP addresses to both sides or turn on a DHCP server on your PC . . . you are gonna have to know what you are doing a bit.

But you are better off having some cheap router that you connect both of them to.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
speculawyer said:
Damn you Maxtor . . . update your crappy NAS software for the Shared Storage II.

I want to have a little NAS box that uses less power serving up DLNA instead of a noisy power-sucking PC.

Who makes the best DLNA implementation for a NAS box? Buffalo?

I think Buffalo, i was jus doing some research on this yesterday. They seem to have the best implementation of it.

marwan said:
oh i see, well i hope Son releases a new update to upgrade DivX and Xvid playback support.

Seriously . . . It is nice to have some DivX support, but this is a pretty crippled version.

But on the plus side, they did deliver it pretty damn quickly, so I'll cut them some slack.

Hopefully they are working on a better version that will be released in the next few months because DivX really should call the current version a "DivX certified" implementation since it blows moose schlong.

Dazzla

Perhaps I've been lucky, everything I've tried on it has worked. I just wish there was a better DLNA server for OS X, ConnectPS3 can't come soon enough...

Top Bottom