• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC to PS3 Media Streaming (DLNA) Thread

Kinan

CrushDance said:
Yeah I just want to share files. Does the router have to be connected to the internet? Because my PC is wireless, same with the PS3.

Uhm, you have them both connected to wireless router? Whats your problem then, you dont need any extra connection. Router may or may not be connected to internet, you just need to have local network between your PC and PS3.

speculawyer said:
Seriously . . . It is nice to have some DivX support, but this is a pretty crippled version.

DivX support pretty much perfect, really. (3.11 is a blatant hack of Microsoft MPEG-4 Version 3 video codec, no serious company would support that. :p)
Only problem is that most people do not distinguish between divx and xvid, since they both come in .avi containers. And xvid support is not there yet. Hopefully they gonna add it sooner or later.

Aske

Kinan said:
DivX support pretty much perfect, really. (3.11 is a blatant hack of Microsoft MPEG-4 Version 3 video codec, no serious company would support that. :p)
Only problem is that most people do not distinguish between divx and xvid, since they both come in .avi containers. And xvid support is not there yet. Hopefully they gonna add it sooner or later.

I disagree with this - Xvid support is close to flawless for me. Obviously success will depend on the individual files you throw at the system, but my Xvid files work with about the same success ratio as Divx.

Aske said:
I disagree with this - Xvid support is close to flawless for me. Obviously success will depend on the individual files you throw at the system, but my Xvid files work with about the same success ratio as Divx.

Xvid support is there except you can't stream it. You have to load the file off of an attached drive, or the PS3's hard drive itself. So instead of just playing the file from the network stream, you have to copy it to your HDD first.

MadFuzzy

Omar Ismail said:
Xvid support is there except you can't stream it. You have to load the file off of an attached drive, or the PS3's hard drive itself. So instead of just playing the file from the network stream, you have to copy it to your HDD first.

Streaming works fine for me using the latest version of Twonky, and the only xvids that I can't get to work are ones with custom matrixes which don't obey the official divx spec (since it's an advanced xvid feature).

New PS3 owner here, quick question maybe someone can help me out with, maybe not.

After futzing around with fuppes and ushare on my Linux box and Windows Media 11, I discovered WM 11 is by far the best route to go- I have it working with my Matroska video among other things. I even got it working with my SMB network shares with a little registry hacking. If anybody needs help with this kind of stuff let me know but...

I'm digressing here.

The big issue with Media player 11 for me is that even though it plays MOV files just fine and dandy, it doesn't seem to want to add them to the media library and so by extension they don't show up on the PS3. Has anybody figured out a solution for this, maybe some fiddling with mimetypes perhaps? The MS support page just says it doesn't work with MOV files and to use Quicktime instead.

Christberg said:
After futzing around with fuppes and ushare on my Linux box and Windows Media 11, I discovered WM 11 is by far the best route to go

BTW, after a couple of hours of trying different media servers on Linux, I found that Media t o m b seems to be the best. It's the only one I could get to work, but it seems to work very well.

Chris R

I've tried to use WMP11 to stream .mp4 files but they aren't even showing up on the PS3. I'd use my USB device to transfer files over, but the files are 2x the size of my USB device (256mb, don't laugh). I thought I could use a USB HDD to transfer the files over but the damn thing doesn't even show up when I plug it in... Is my PS3 possessed?

michaeld

Banned
I bought a 40 gig yesterday and it will not connect. I have wep turned off and DHCP on. My Wii and DS Lite's connect just fine, and my 360 connects just fine on a wired connection. I hooked up the ethernet cable that goes to my 360 to my PS3 and it connected no problems. So I wrote down all the connection details and tried inputing them on the wireless manual setup and no luck. I keep getting a DNS error.

the router is a 2wire dsl modem/g router combo.
Edit/Delete Message

patsu

chaostrophy said:
BTW, after a couple of hours of trying different media servers on Linux, I found that Media t o m b seems to be the best. It's the only one I could get to work, but it seems to work very well.

When I first started, I remember some of the DLNA servers need time to index your HDD first (Can't remember which one). Give them some time before you write the whole bunch off.

watership

MadFuzzy said:
Streaming works fine for me using the latest version of Twonky, and the only xvids that I can't get to work are ones with custom matrixes which don't obey the official divx spec (since it's an advanced xvid feature).

Xvids don't follow the Divx spec because Divx is a codec, not a standard. The standard is MPEG4 Part 2. Divx/xvid are codecs that support that established standard.

tanod

when is my burrito
I'm having trouble with getting Tversity to work. I have enabled WMP11 and that works fine under Windows XP.

Tversity is running on my computer, my library is up to date and it's set up under options to connect to the PS3. The problem is that the PS3 isn't detecting the Tversity media server.

Is there some router settings I need to change? My router is the Linksys WRT4GL.

patsu said:
When I first started, I remember some of the DLNA servers need time to index your HDD first (Can't remember which one). Give them some time before you write the whole bunch off.

Right, Mediat o m b has to do that as well. But while it's doing the indexing, the server is still accessible over the web interface and can be seen by the PS3, the files just don't appear. I never got even that far with any of the other programs. With a couple of them I couldn't even get past the pre-compilation config script.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
tanod said:
I'm having trouble with getting Tversity to work. I have enabled WMP11 and that works fine under Windows XP.

Tversity is running on my computer, my library is up to date and it's set up under options to connect to the PS3. The problem is that the PS3 isn't detecting the Tversity media server.

Is there some router settings I need to change? My router is the Linksys WRT4GL.

You might need to allow mediaserver.exe or something like that, in Windows Firewall.

patsu

Tanod, I had that problem before... but after sometime (half an hour or half a day, I can't remember), it appeared on my PS3 magically and I could use it then. Since then, the DLNA server may still drop out but much less frequently after a few rounds of firmware upgrade. I'd check the firewall settings if you continue to experience problems.

Right, Mediat o m b has to do that as well. But while it's doing the indexing, the server is still accessible over the web interface and can be seen by the PS3, the files just don't appear. I never got even that far with any of the other programs. With a couple of them I couldn't even get past the pre-compilation config script.

That's odd ! I tried WMP 11, Twonky Mac, Twonky NAS, Tversity, they all installed and ran fine; but some files cannot be played on Twonky Mac and WMP11. In general, WMP and Tversity performed better, Twonky NAS has not disconnected me yet, while Twonky Mac is unstable as hell. I have not tried EyeConnect, MediaT o m b and Nero.

tanod said:

Maybe you need to disable the WMP11 before trying to get TVersity to work.

Rhindle

patsu said:
Tanod, I had that problem before... but after sometime (half an hour or half a day, I can't remember), it appeared on my PS3 magically and I could use it then. Since then, the DLNA server may still drop out but much less frequently after a few rounds of firmware upgrade. I'd check the firewall settings if you continue to experience problems.
Same here. It takes 5-10 minutes for the PS3 to find the Tversity server, and even when it does, it's very flaky. Same with Nero.

WMP11 seems to be the only media server that works reliably.

Note sure why people continue to use Tversity. It does offer transcoding for unsupported formats, but the resulting video quality is dismal.

bluheim

Banned
Today, I've been testing the last version of EyeConnect (1.5.1), and am very pleased to see that it works great. Not perfectly, AAC is still not supported (only MP3) but pictures work flawlessly and mp4 videos too. I'll test DivX tonight. Last time I tested EyeConnect, it was 1.1 version and it did not work at all. They are currently working on fixing everything that doesn't work and I hope it will soon be the perfect DLNA server for all Mac users. Which is great since NullRiver ConnectPS3 will probably never exists.

jax (old)

Banned
HI, I'm using WMP11 and before I loaded my extensive music library, the mydocuments musicrip folder was the only folder linked/monitored and I could access the music. Once I monitor the other folders, Im getting

DLAN error 4405. It won't open the music folder but I can access everything else (videos + photos).

any suggestions?

RuGalz

New Tversity supporting the 2.1 PS3 firmware is finally out, plus new folders options. Time to test it out.

Ed: The new folders only menu hierarchy option rocks.

jakeellis01

RuGalz said:
New Tversity supporting the 2.1 PS3 firmware is finally out, plus new folders options. Time to test it out.

Ed: The new folders only menu hierarchy option rocks.

THANK YOU

downloadin..

Speevy

Banned
If I had a bunch of media, I'd use that. But I'd rather not keep my PC on alongside my PS3. My room is so small that it's bothersome.

Zoe

What is everybody doing with mkv files? I never used them, but I just handed a disc full of them.

I read on other forums that people are converting them with PS3 Video 9 in a matter of minutes, but when I tried to do that, it was taking around half an hour.

Speevy

Banned
I have a question.

I've never used any of this before, but what I want to do is save a file that's over 1 GB to the PS3 hard drive.

The reason for this is that the largest portable storage device I have is only 1 GB.

I could easily buy another SD card/flash drive but is there another method of transfer I could use in the mean time?

Just something simple. I don't want to stream stuff from my PC.

Speevy

Banned
I have a file that TVersity reads on my PS3 as "This file is corrupted."

What do I do? I can play it on my computer.

i read the first post and it was too much for my below average computer skills. i have most on my video files as VOB. is there any way i can stream them from my lap top? i just don't want to waste the PS3 driver reading home made discs, i tought streaming them from the laptop was a good idea.

can i do that?

seattle6418 said:
i have most on my video files as VOB. is there any way i can stream them from my lap top? i just don't want to waste the PS3 driver reading home made discs, i tought streaming them from the laptop was a good idea.
No, I do believe you can stream VOB files. I think you have to convert them to MPEG-2 files (.mpg). Or burn DVDs to pop into the PS3.

indie85

Banned
Haha, wow, thanks for this thread for I had no idea you could do this. Had a vid on my computer that I really wanted to watch on my big tv but no way of transferring as my Micro SD is just to small. But one click on share media in WM11 and bingo it recognises my ps3 :D It even streamed real time so I didnt even have to download it onto my ps3 to play it. VV cool :D

Darkman M

My PS3 wont recognize Tversity as an media server, but WP11 works fine as one what gives? Ive already allowed it through my firewall ad everything already.

RuGalz

seattle6418 said:
i read the first post and it was too much for my below average computer skills. i have most on my video files as VOB. is there any way i can stream them from my lap top? i just don't want to waste the PS3 driver reading home made discs, i tought streaming them from the laptop was a good idea.

can i do that?

Most likely you just need to rename .vob to .mpg to watch it on the PS3...

Darkman M said:
My PS3 wont recognize Tversity as an media server, but WP11 works fine as one what gives? Ive already allowed it through my firewall ad everything already.

Assuming your uPnP is functioning properly, did you make sure that you allowed MediaServer.exe to go through firewall and *not* Tversity.exe ? I've made that mistake in the past and wondered why PS3 couldn't see it... Also, sometimes, while the PS3 is turned on, restarting the media server would fix it.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Darkman M said:

check your firewall, its probably blocking the Tversity port.

SRG01

Speevy said:
I have a file that TVersity reads on my PS3 as "This file is corrupted."

What do I do? I can play it on my computer.

What kind of file is it? TVersity can transcode things too.

gtmax

Jax said:
HI, I'm using WMP11 and before I loaded my extensive music library, the mydocuments musicrip folder was the only folder linked/monitored and I could access the music. Once I monitor the other folders, Im getting

DLAN error 4405. It won't open the music folder but I can access everything else (videos + photos).

any suggestions?

Sometimes i forget and search for photos when i'm in the music tab. Do you think this might be the case for you?

Darkman M

g35twinturbo said:
check your firewall, its probably blocking the Tversity port.

Just turned my firewall off and my PS3 still doesn't recognize it i tried twonky and WMP11 both connected with ease. Guess im just out of luck with TVersity until they come with a better fix.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Darkman M said:
Just turned my firewall off and my PS3 still doesn't recognize it i tried twonky and WMP11 both connected with ease. Guess im just out of luck with TVersity until they come with a better fix.

Jus curious did you restart your ps3? I know mine didn't show it until I restarted it.

Darkman M

Ill be damned my ps3 finally reconized tversity i had added tversity exe. to my exceptions but not the mediaserver exe.

Props to RuGalz & g35twinturbo

Speevy

Banned
I have it set to transcode and it still reads it as corrupt.

The only program I can get to run this video is VLC Media Player.

It's an AVI file. h264

Labeled codec a52.

I probably just need to convert it to a file format the PS3 recognizes since I want it on the hard drive anyway.

jax (old)

Banned
gtmax said:
Sometimes i forget and search for photos when i'm in the music tab. Do you think this might be the case for you?

That's not it.

it might be that the whole folder was 60gb+. I've had to seperate the folder into

A1
A2
A3
A4
etc
subfolders... and now the PS3 reads it. (each folder contains max 4gb of content)

I think it timed out trying to read all the root files or something. Bit annoying though. It won't read files you drag drog into the libray so you have to go through WMP11 and add things manually and the interface to do that is retarded. No drag drop + no residual last folder location.

I haven't added everything yet. It takes forever and I'm annoyed!

I'll try tversity now.

HiVision

indie85 said:
Haha, wow, thanks for this thread for I had no idea you could do this. Had a vid on my computer that I really wanted to watch on my big tv but no way of transferring as my Micro SD is just to small. But one click on share media in WM11 and bingo it recognises my ps3 :D It even streamed real time so I didnt even have to download it onto my ps3 to play it. VV cool :D

This side of the PS3 needs to be pushed more - so many people don't realise the full range of stuff it can be doing for you.

I deleted my wife's must-watch tv drama from my hdd-recorder by accident, one torrent search later and in a few hours I had downloaded every episode of the drama, and in HD and was streaming it to the PS3 and the big tv in the living room - even she was impressed by it all. :D

And it's so easy to set up.

RuGalz

HiVision said:
This side of the PS3 needs to be pushed more - so many people don't realise the full range of stuff it can be doing for you.

No kidding. Over the Xmas break I stayed with my relatives and PS3's media capability became so convenient. They took so many picture and videos so their SD cards were filling up, but they had no way of transferring the data to the PC because they didn't have the cable to hook the camera up nor a card reader. However I did have an USB thumbdrive with me so we just plugged the SD card into the PS3, saw all the photos using the awesome, built in, slideshow capability on their big screen TV, and then copied all the files to the thumb drive so they could be dumped onto the PC hdd. Later on, they wanted to see the photos/videos again but the data have already been transfered to their PC, I just setup Tversity in 5 mins and we were able to watch everything on the TV again. They were amazed how much PS3 can do by the end of the day.

Speevy

Banned
Can someone tell me a program that can convert a video file to a format the PS3 reads natively (not streaming), with a fairly quick encoding time, and what the format should be?

Dante

I noticed videos that I purchased from iTunes can not be streamed over.

Also you cannot use streamed music in High Velocity Bowling unfortunatly.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I got Tversity on my PC, my PS3 can pick up Windows Media player but not Tversity.... got the model connected through USB on the PC and through Cat 5 on the PS3...... whats wrong?

Fixed it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Speevy said:
Can someone tell me a program that can convert a video file to a format the PS3 reads natively (not streaming), with a fairly quick encoding time, and what the format should be?

PS3 Video 9 (fugly UI but it gets the job done...most of the time). The encoding time is going to be based on your CPU, the older/slower the processor the longer it'll take to convert. The format you'll end up with should be a .h264 video file and a AAC audio file wrapped in a MP4 container.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
I got Tversity on my PC, my PS3 can pick up Windows Media player but not Tversity.... got the model connected through USB on the PC and through Cat 5 on the PS3...... whats wrong?

Fixed it.
Check your firewall settings and make sure that MediaServer.exe is not getting blocked.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So, best DLNA server for Macs?

Eyeconnect is ok but fidgity, and it organizes shit horribly (non-alphabetical, what the hell?), and another one I tried simply wouldn't stay connected.

I hope the Connect360 update/new client comes soon. That's worked flawlessly from day 1.

Top Bottom