• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC to PS3 Media Streaming (DLNA) Thread

keyrat

Does TVersity have trouble handling large amounts of files? I tried installing a month ago and added my videos (about 100 files), pictures (about 12,000 files) and music (about 15,000 files), and it never could manage to show them on the PS3, and even in the native TVersity file browser they wouldn't show up. After removing pictures and music the whole thing just seemed broken so I uninstalled.

Then I got Twonky and it worked great...for a month. Now they want 30E and I just can't pay that when there's so many free alternatives (even though it's the best I've used). Any suggestions?

squicken

keyrat said:
Does TVersity have trouble handling large amounts of files? I tried installing a month ago and added my videos (about 100 files), pictures (about 12,000 files) and music (about 15,000 files), and it never could manage to show them on the PS3, and even in the native TVersity file browser they wouldn't show up. After removing pictures and music the whole thing just seemed broken so I uninstalled.

Then I got Twonky and it worked great...for a month. Now they want 30E and I just can't pay that when there's so many free alternatives (even though it's the best I've used). Any suggestions?

I only had ever used WMP11, but it's limited file support made it feel gimped to me. But I think it pretty much works for everyone. With Tversity, I think 90% of the problems are firewall related. I have pretty much every port I could find for both PS3 and 360 opened on my router, and followed the firewall execeptions outlined in the OP.

SaitoH

So I got Tversity up and running on my PS3. The transcoding works well on those pesky .MKV's but I still have the issue with certain .AVI's not playing, in spite of enabling "always transcode".

Anyway to fix that?

Hi all,

I'm having a problem getting WMP11 to recognize my PS3. I have music and videos in my WMP11 library. I have enabled "Share my media to:" but it doesn't see my PS3. I do not have a third party firewall, only using the Windows Firewall with all of the Windows Media Player Network Sharing exceptions enabled. Both Universal Plug and Play Device Host Service and Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service are running. My PS3 and computer are connected to the same wireless router. I'm out of ideas of how to get them working together. Any helpful suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks!

Speevy

Banned
SaitoH said:
So I got Tversity up and running on my PS3. The transcoding works well on those pesky .MKV's but I still have the issue with certain .AVI's not playing, in spite of enabling "always transcode".

Anyway to fix that?

PS3 video 9?

Kinan

dietertong said:
Hi all,

I'm having a problem getting WMP11 to recognize my PS3. I have music and videos in my WMP11 library. I have enabled "Share my media to:" but it doesn't see my PS3. I do not have a third party firewall, only using the Windows Firewall with all of the Windows Media Player Network Sharing exceptions enabled. Both Universal Plug and Play Device Host Service and Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service are running. My PS3 and computer are connected to the same wireless router. I'm out of ideas of how to get them working together. Any helpful suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks!

Try to switch off windows firewall for a min and check if it helps? Restart PS3 or switch off/switch on Media Sharing in XMB?

Kinan

Speevy said:
PS3 video 9?

pretty much. Thats most likely those advanced xvid files that are not supported by ps3 yet, not sure if you can distinguish between divx and xvid in tversity settings.

_Frank_

hi, why some of my movies can't be read by my ps3 when im streaming them from my pc? Some works but some don't (even if they' re avi files). Also, why aren't all my tunes showing? thanks

jakeellis01

_Frank_ said:
hi, why some of my movies can't be read by my ps3 when im streaming them from my pc? Some works but some don't (even if they' re avi files). Also, why aren't all my tunes showing? thanks

ps3 only reads divx 5.0>..... this means that ifyou have an old divx movie with version 3 or so..... ps3 will not read it unless it will be transcoded.

Unfortunately TVersity didn't fix this issue (as of yet), so if you have the option of Transcoding on 'Only When Needed' the PS3 will give you some error on old divx files. All you need to do is turn the option to 'Always Transcode'. PS3 will manage to read all files (except MKVs and some MP4s).

M3wThr33

Banned
I can't get remote play to work on my router. I want to try Remote Play + DNLA. Damn.

WRT54GL with Tomato 1.17. Maybe I should try DD-WRT?

I've tried forwarding port 9293 to the PS3's IP, both while it was on (In remote play) and off, both with UPnP enabled and disabled and with DMZ on and off.

Is there anything I should check on the PSP when I change those? (I can boot it fine over the network, Over Internet connection won't work, though.)

Try to switch off windows firewall for a min and check if it helps? Restart PS3 or switch off/switch on Media Sharing in XMB?

I've tried it without Windows Firewall, no luck there
Tried turning off Media servers, restarting the PS3, turning Media servers back on, and no luck there. Thanks though.

Any other suggestions?

pr0cs

After much teeth gnashing and hand wringing I finally got this to work with TVersity. It was initially really perplexing because streaming to the 360 worked flawlessly but the PS3 just wouldn't find ANY servers.
I had to go into my router and turn uPnP off, I was under the assumption that it needed to be on.
- XMB gives an indication what your files are (some of them anyway), nice little tag under the file saying VC-1, etc.
- being able to get info on a particular file, format, length, bitrate, etc.
- more options for photo viewing, some of them are really cool, well done
- a little easer to sift through multiple levels of folders, likely due to how the XMB is designed for a more tree-like structure

Dislikes:
- a large number of my files won't play, even with transcoding on. It's odd because the 360 seems to play everything with only a few requiring transcoding
- I didn't play with it long but I couldn't figure out how to leave music playing and go back and fiddle in the XMB to play pictures at the same time.
- some files that did play didn't appear to be in 5.1 or didn't have audio at all, yet they play fine on my other consoles

Overall I like having another alternative to streaming but I still think XBMC and the 360 does an overall better job (using TVersity anyway). Perhaps with the next patch they'll improve DiVX and XVID playback on the PS3.

Lain

I'm running into an annoying problem.
I've had to change motherboard and reinstall Windows XP, with the result that now I can't see any media server with my PS3 using TVersity.
I've tried allowing mediaserver.exe under the firewall settings, disabling the firewall completely but nothing worked.
I don't use a router, I have the PS3 connected to the PC with the MB built-in NIC while the internet connection is through another NIC and shared with the ICS service.
How is it possible that the PS3 can't find any media server (or better yet, that the PS3 can't be seen by the media server themselves, as neither WMP sees it)?!

EDIT: After some tries, got the WMP media sharing to see the PS3, but no go with TVersity and I have no idea what to do to make it work again like it did before my old MB died.
-----
Fixed my problem with TVersity as well. Found out I had to change the TCP binding order, something I didn't have to do before. Weird, but at least now TVersity works again.

pr0cs

Onix said:
PS Button iirc
Thanks.

Looks like the new update now has the PS3 working as well as the 360 for media streaming. I have to use Nero Mediahome to do the streaming though, for whatever reason TVersity just does not seem to 'play well' with the PS3, at least under my network setup.

I also really hate that when you stream photos their datestamp is totally fucked up. All my pictures are displayed with a datestamp of 1/1/9999. If I copy them to the PS3 then view them the stamp is okay.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Really annoying problem.

I've been using Tversity and its been great, but some videos don't work. For those videos, i usually re-encode them through PS3Video9, and it works perfect.

But since the newest PS3 update, every video that i've encoded through PS3video9 skips badly, no matter how i encode it. Anyone else have this problem?

M3wThr33

Banned
Dudes.
Anyone here notice some missing hard drive space?
Ever look at those RSS Feeds that TVersity comes with?
Somehow mine has been downloading them without me knowing.

5GB of space was taken up.

X:\Program Files\TVersity\Media Server\data\download

Go look in there. Then delete those files and the feeds. (Deleting the feeds won't remove them from your computer)

Schrade

Remy said:
Google's released a free DLNA server for Windows called "Google Media Server".

http://desktop.google.com/plugins/i/mediaserver.html?hl=en

* Access videos, music, and photos stored on your PC
* View Picasa Web Albums
* Play your favorite YouTube videos

Anyone want to give it a try?
Oh FUCK yeah! I'll be the guinea pig. Google's stuff usually is pretty good. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: Oh fuck that. I don't want to install Google Desktop. Blah!

RaidenZR

I am having a problem that I am hoping someone knows the easy solution to. Here's my situation:

I have an Airport Extreme feeding my MacBook Pro wireless internet. I have the Airport Extreme also hooked up directly to my PS3 (wired) and the Airport Extreme also has a USB external disk connected into it. What I want to do is have the PS3/360 or whatever see that disk through the network. I can get it to see the disk and access files through my MacBook Pro, via MediaLink, EyeConnect, what have you, but that is not really the point. I can just as well connect the external to the laptop, which is what I was doing prior to having the Extreme. I bought the dang thing so my laptop, which is my only and primary computer, would be less shackled and that every piece of hardware could just feed off the external drive connected right into the router.

I have the PS3 getting a specific IP from the router that only it is assigned to. UPnP is enabled, and I have the 3658 ports open for NAT Type 2.

Someone else has had to have attempted this. I can't be the first. So.. long story short, I'd like to have PS3 see the router/external drive independently of my MacBrook Pro. This is possible, isn't it?

Quasar

This is a good a place as any to get some TVersity support so...

I'm having trouble getting my PS3 to play mov files. I have TVersity setup to force it to transcode all files but still some mov files fail to play with the PS 3 giving a 'The data is corrupted' error. The mov files in question use H.264 for video and AAC for audio.

One example being the MacBreak Studio video podcast. Now I can just manually run them through Quicktime and export em in a MP4 container and they work fine, but that is a pain in the ass.

Anyone know what could be going on here??

Schrade said:
Oh FUCK yeah! I'll be the guinea pig. Google's stuff usually is pretty good. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: Oh fuck that. I don't want to install Google Desktop. Blah!

Google desktop is a no go for me too.

Remy

RaidenZR said:
I have an Airport Extreme feeding my MacBook Pro wireless internet. I have the Airport Extreme also hooked up directly to my PS3 (wired) and the Airport Extreme also has a USB external disk connected into it. What I want to do is have the PS3/360 or whatever see that disk through the network. I can get it to see the disk and access files through my MacBook Pro, via MediaLink, EyeConnect, what have you, but that is not really the point. I can just as well connect the external to the laptop, which is what I was doing prior to having the Extreme. I bought the dang thing so my laptop, which is my only and primary computer, would be less shackled and that every piece of hardware could just feed off the external drive connected right into the router.

Someone else has had to have attempted this. I can't be the first. So.. long story short, I'd like to have PS3 see the router/external drive independently of my MacBrook Pro. This is possible, isn't it?

Unfortunately, Apple's "Airport Disk" feature is not the same as having a DLNA device. Your PS3 will not be able to see it unless you buy a different router (that will share out attached hard drives via DLNA) or direct mount the disk on your laptop and use MediaLink (or similar) to share it out.

It's more a limitation of the Airport Extreme base station than anything else. Apple doesn't like to play nice with DLNA, it seems.

RaidenZR

Remy said:
Unfortunately, Apple's "Airport Disk" feature is not the same as having a DLNA device. Your PS3 will not be able to see it unless you buy a different router (that will share out attached hard drives via DLNA) or direct mount the disk on your laptop and use MediaLink (or similar) to share it out.

It's more a limitation of the Airport Extreme base station than anything else. Apple doesn't like to play nice with DLNA, it seems.

Nooooo. Don't tell me this. :(

I spent from 5 PM to 5 AM trying to figure this out today, apparently for no reason. This is exactly what I didn't want to hear.

Damnit. I guess I have to put stress on my laptop no matter what then?

RaidenZR

phez said:
I'm surprised at the lack of orb users in here.

orb can stream to the ps3 and 360 as well, works pretty flawlessly too.

www.orb.com

Does it work for Mac too? The website doesn't make it seem like it.

My main hangup with all of these middle-man programs is that they dumb down the folder structure, or don't allow for max versatility with how much you can populate in their "source" areas. Again, I'm speaking on the Mac side.

phez

Banned
RaidenZR said:
Does it work for Mac too? The website doesn't make it seem like it.

My main hangup with all of these middle-man programs is that they dumb down the folder structure, or don't allow for max versatility with how much you can populate in their "source" areas. Again, I'm speaking on the Mac side.

no ... but with your issue in particular, you can't just have the media streaming off your airport extreme; you won't ever see files that cannot be natively played on the PS3 (and there's probably alot of them) ...

... the airport extreme just can't do transcoding :)

RaidenZR

phez said:
no ... but with your issue in particular, you can't just have the media streaming off your airport extreme; you won't ever see files that cannot be natively played on the PS3 (and there's probably alot of them) ...

... the airport extreme just can't do transcoding :)

Yeah, I've met my expectations to that fact. Now I'm just looking for the best possible alternative. MediaLink from Nullriver is okay, but not great by any means. I've even breached its folder hierarchy limit on my external drive in some cases.

bosx2

Banned
whoever still uses transcode option to play .mkvs, need to be shot!
Twonkymedia is the best of all DNLA servers

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I don't suppose someone could help me get even the most basic streaming to work? I'm stuck just trying to have WMP recognize the PS3 as an available device to share with; it never shows in the "share my media to..." window.

I've read through the instructions in the first post here along with the many, many steps and variations detailed here to no avail. I'm on XP using a Linksys BEFSR41 wired router, all the UPnP and network sharing services settings appear to be correct and working, I've started and restarted everything (software and hardware-wise) a number of times... What other pertinent details would someone need to assist with this?

M3wThr33 said:
Dudes.
Anyone here notice some missing hard drive space?
Ever look at those RSS Feeds that TVersity comes with?
Somehow mine has been downloading them without me knowing.

5GB of space was taken up.

X:\Program Files\TVersity\Media Server\data\download

Go look in there. Then delete those files and the feeds. (Deleting the feeds won't remove them from your computer)
WTF!

Is there any way I can stop TVersity from downloading these files? I had 9GB worth of shit in there.
I KNEW something was off the other day when I looked at my hard drive space...
:|

Raistlin

bosx2 said:
whoever still uses transcode option to play .mkvs, need to be shot!
Twonkymedia is the best of all DNLA servers

If they had ever fixed its broken PS3 FLAC transcoding it would have been ...

As x3n05 posted below, I'd love to get a QNAP (4-drive) with Twonky on it ... but the fact I'd still need a PC running just to get audio makes it kind of sucky for use with a PS3 as your main extender.

senahorse

I just picked up one of these today.

6084-TS209.jpg

It even says it supports the 360/PS3 on the box, due to it's DLNA functionality. I have it setup with 2 1TB hdd's mirrored, should take the place of my PC nicely when it comes to streaming audio/video. :D

senahorse

Onix said:
If they had ever fixed its broken PS3 FLAC transcoding it would have been ...

As x3n05 posted below, I'd love to get a QNAP (4-drive) with Twonky on it ... but the fact I'd still need a PC running just to get audio makes it kind of sucky for use with a PS3 as your main extender.

I haven't looked into flac transcoding, but according to their revision history it got added in 3.0 and then nothing else was done with it. As I bought the nas for other uses (not just PS3/360 streaming) it wasn't high on my priority list but when I get a chance I will have a play around with it and post my results back here.

edit: It seems they added extra support to the 5.0 beta, but there have been no updates for a while as if they have abandoned the project.

RoH

Just wondering if any one knows how to force/allow the PlayStation 3 XMB to show thumbnails for videos using Fuppes, running in Linux?

pr0cs

x3n05 said:
I just picked up one of these today.
Let us know how it works. I was going to pick up a Dlink 323 but the only way to get it to work with the 360 AND PS3 was by paying for twonkymedia. If that unit works out of the box I'd like to know.

pr0cs

Gallenn said:
I got the Qnap TS 109 Pro a few months ago, works fine with the PS3 thanks to twonky media.
edit.. I see the QNAP TS-209 II Dual Bay Turbo Station All-in-1 NAS Server Enclosure comes with Twonky pre-installed.
Pretty pricey though, 369$ here.

Gallenn

pr0cs said:
Did you have to pay for Twonky or does Qnap provide it for free ?
Provided for free with your NAS. You also get the new Twonky versions with the new firmware updates provided by Qnap (just upgraded to Twonky 4.4.6 last week)

Having a problem when adding new files its not showing up on the ps3's end.

What settings do I need to adjust so the ps3 instantly sees the new clips added.

theBishop said:
Mediatomb <3

Does anyone have a guide on how to set up a proper Mediatomb setup on an Ubuntu server? TVersity is giving me issues and I want to try my hand at virtualizing a Mediatomb server.

Top Bottom