• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC to PS3 Media Streaming (DLNA) Thread

Darkman M

A little off topic but i have a few questions anbout the ps3/linux.

1. Is Linux worth installing on the PS3?

2. Is the installation process painless?

3. What ALL can i do with Linux installed on my PS3?

Kinan said:
speculawyer said:
Seriously . . . It is nice to have some DivX support, but this is a pretty crippled version.

DivX support pretty much perfect, really. (3.11 is a blatant hack of Microsoft MPEG-4 Version 3 video codec, no serious company would support that. :p)
Only problem is that most people do not distinguish between divx and xvid, since they both come in .avi containers. And xvid support is not there yet. Hopefully they gonna add it sooner or later.

Well, DivX disagrees with you. They admit this is not a full version. No 3.11 support. No suport for custom matrices. Etc. A full version will eventually appear.

DivX® Video Support Added to PLAYSTATION®3 With Latest System Software Update

All PS3™ Users Can Now Enjoy High-Quality DivX Videos

Tokyo, Japan and San Diego, CA, December 18, 2007 – DivX, Inc. (NASDAQ: DIVX) today announced the availability of support for the DivX® video format on PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) to end users. With this latest update Version 2.10*, available on December 18, PS3 is the first gaming system to officially support playback of DivX video.
"PS3 is a powerful and highly popular home entertainment system, and the addition of DivX support helps to optimize the digital media experience for consumers by allowing PS3 users to enjoy their library of high-quality DivX content directly on the television," said Kevin Hell, CEO of DivX, Inc. "As the first gaming system to offer official support for DivX video, PS3 represents an exciting new addition to the DivX ecosystem of products that enable consumers to enjoy their videos on any kind of device or platform."

Full DivX Certification® of PS3 is expected in the future, at which point the popular computer entertainment system will join the over 100 million DivX Certified products that have been shipped into the market. Products that bear the DivX Certified logo have undergone a rigorous testing program to ensure a high-quality DivX media experience that includes reliable video playback and excellent visual quality.
http://www.divx.com/company/press/press_detail.php?pr_id=276

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
speculawyer said:
Well, DivX disagrees with you. They admit this is not a full version. No 3.11 support. No suport for custom matrices. Etc. A full version will eventually appear.

right, but there's a big difference between not full and pretty crippled. 99% of divx avi's out on the web will work with the PS3 untouched.

2real4tv

I am having problems streaming to my ps3 using wmp11 from my desktop(wireless). It reconizes my 360(wired) buy not my ps3(wireless). Ive tried setting upnp to auto to no avail what am I doing wrong.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
noire said:
I've used Connect360 to go mac->360 and loved it.

I just set up Mediatomb to go mac->ps3, and it's ok. I'll drop it as soon as ConnectPS3 comes out.

What was the other one you tried, Twonky?

Yeah, I believe so. It would work for a few minutes but disconnect for no apparent reason.

I'll give Mediatomb a shot.

Kinan

speculawyer said:
I have Nero 8 Ultra, so I can use Nero MediaHome (or whatever it is called) as a DLNA server. Is there any reason I would want to use the free TVersity instead of the Nero program that I paid for?

Edit: This guy claims to have surveyed the boards and seems to think Nero MediaHome and SimpleCenter Premium are the best. Agree?

MideaHome is nice, but I dont think its possible to configure to NOT transcode divx files. Maybe with some registry hacks or something. TVersity, on the other hand, streaming them natively after last patch - difference in resulting quality is amazing.

I have never tried SimpleCenter, so cant comment on that.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Having a little problem. My PS3 finds my computer just find through WMP 11, yet there are no files. Any ideas?

tha_con

Banned
I've tried reading through this thread, but couldn't find anything solid.

Anyway, I've got a WRT5GS, and my router reboots every time I use the Media Server on PS3.

Any suggestions outside of changing the firmware?

Remy

Since this thread popped back up: Nullriver let me know via email that their Mac software, akin to Connect360, will be released this week.

Salvation is in sight!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
commish said:
Having a little problem. My PS3 finds my computer just find through WMP 11, yet there are no files. Any ideas?

WMP11 will only broadcast files it has in it's library to the PS3. If you have nothing added to the WMP11 library, you'll get nothing when selecting the WMP DLNA server in the PS3.

SRG01

tha_con said:

Anyway, I've got a WRT5GS, and my router reboots every time I use the Media Server on PS3.

Get a new router? Seriously. Aside from disabling uPnP or changing the firmware, you're stuck with that.

DMczaf

tha_con said:

I was having the same problem with my WRT54G, and then I updated my firmware to the latest one (December) and now I can use Media Server without any problems.

Then I went back to the website this week and that firmware update was taken down :lol

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Killthee said:
WMP11 will only broadcast files it has in it's library to the PS3. If you have nothing added to the WMP11 library, you'll get nothing when selecting the WMP DLNA server in the PS3.

There are things in the library, though. On my computer, there are tons of files I can watch/listen to through WMP11. On the PS3, not a one.

Remy said:
Since this thread popped back up: Nullriver let me know via email that their Mac software, akin to Connect360, will be released this week.

Salvation is in sight!
Very good news. Finally i'll be able to stream the videos from my Mac on my PS3.

borghe said:
right, but there's a big difference between not full and pretty crippled. 99% of divx avi's out on the web will work with the PS3 untouched.
Well . . . I guess we were both guilty of hyperbole :D . . . he said:
DivX support pretty much perfect, really. (3.11 is a blatant hack of Microsoft MPEG-4 Version 3 video codec, no serious company would support that. :p)

So it was not 'crippled' but it wasn't 'pretty much perfect' either. I probably said 'crippled' because I was frustrated & annoyed with it that day trying to get things working. But I should have directed my anger more at my lame Maxtor Shared Storage II box.

Argyle

OK, I've been trying to get this working with no success...

I just installed the latest TVersity and I basically want to play back two types of files:

HD MPEG2 video + AC3 audio in an MPEG2 Transport stream container

or

HD AVC video + AC3 audio in an MPEG2 Transport stream container

Tversity finds my .ts files and indexes them, but any file with AC3 audio plays without sound on the PS3. (The video looks fine.) Hitting select to bring up the display shows no audio stream being passed to the PS3 at all.

I had a file that was MPEG2 video with MPEG audio in a TS container, that one played correctly on the PS3. Does the PS3 accept AC3 streams via DLNA? I have AC3filter installed and AC3 decoding is disabled in ffdshow, and I tried various settings that I found on the TVersity forums with no success...I also made sure the TVersity service is logged on as myself (my account has admin rights)...

If I play the files on the PC doing the streaming, it works (with the AC3 audio being passed via SPDIF)...

Anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Kinan

speculawyer said:
Well . . . I guess we were both guilty of hyperbole :D . . . he said:

So it was not 'crippled' but it wasn't 'pretty much perfect' either. I probably said 'crippled' because I was frustrated & annoyed with it that day trying to get things working. But I should have directed my anger more at my lame Maxtor Shared Storage II box.

Ok, I did some more tests, and found out that indeed there is a problem with Divx decoding, namely PS3 fails to play DivX5 files encoded with GMC2 (motion compensation). Probably will be fixed in the next update. So you are right, its not perfect. :)

Kinan

Argyle said:
OK, I've been trying to get this working with no success...

I just installed the latest TVersity and I basically want to play back two types of files:

HD MPEG2 video + AC3 audio in an MPEG2 Transport stream container

or

HD AVC video + AC3 audio in an MPEG2 Transport stream container

Tversity finds my .ts files and indexes them, but any file with AC3 audio plays without sound on the PS3. (The video looks fine.) Hitting select to bring up the display shows no audio stream being passed to the PS3 at all.

I had a file that was MPEG2 video with MPEG audio in a TS container, that one played correctly on the PS3. Does the PS3 accept AC3 streams via DLNA? I have AC3filter installed and AC3 decoding is disabled in ffdshow, and I tried various settings that I found on the TVersity forums with no success...I also made sure the TVersity service is logged on as myself (my account has admin rights)...

If I play the files on the PC doing the streaming, it works (with the AC3 audio being passed via SPDIF)...

Anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Well, to check if its DLNA fault, you can just try to copy the file to PS3 HDD (can do via TVersity by pressing triangle on the file) and see if it plays from there. Also i think that there is some problem with AC3 sound on PS3 with bitrate higher than 640k. If everything fails, convert AC3 to AAC, meGUI is quite user friendly: http://www.sf.net/projects/megui

Kinan

Huh, finally got to update OP to the latest status. Also reformatted it a bit so its easier to read and look at. Hopefully you still find it useful.

Ashhong

Hey guys I need help really quick. So my PC-PS3 setup used to work pretty well, didn't really have any major problems with it. But now I tried to use it again and I do the search and the PS3 isnt detecting any servers. I checked both TVersity and WMP11. Both were set correctly, yet the PS3 wont detect it. What should i try? I want to watch Lost...

rc213

Just got done setting up my new QNAP TS-209 Pro with Firmware 1.1.5 Build 080128. It comes with TwonkyMedia to 4.4.4 which works marvelous with the PS3. So awesome!

Raistlin

rc213 said:
Just got done setting up my new QNAP TS-209 Pro with Firmware 1.1.5 Build 080128. It comes with TwonkyMedia to 4.4.4 which works marvelous with the PS3. So awesome!

Too bad Twonky abandoned getting their FLAC plugin to work with PS3 :( If they hadn't, I would have purchased one of their servers. I still might, but its lame that they are no longer going for it.

I REALLY hope Sony adds FLAC support. It was just added to the most recent version of Sony Media Manager for the PSP, so at least that means they are aware of the codec :lol

will there be mkv-compatibility at some point? converting 720p tv stuff to .mp4 becomes kind of a pain in the balls after a few weeks.

Kinan

Ashhong said:
Hey guys I need help really quick. So my PC-PS3 setup used to work pretty well, didn't really have any major problems with it. But now I tried to use it again and I do the search and the PS3 isnt detecting any servers. I checked both TVersity and WMP11. Both were set correctly, yet the PS3 wont detect it. What should i try? I want to watch Lost...

Try to run only one of them, either TVersity or WMP, make sure that other client is stopped.

Ashhong

Kinan said:
Try to run only one of them, either TVersity or WMP, make sure that other client is stopped.

Exited TVersity, and nope, WMP11 doesn't show. I used to have all of them show up before...weird. And I turned on my laptop, and WMP11 immediately shows. So I thought maybe it was a firewall problem, turned off Norton, but nope, still doesn't work. What gives?

Kinan

Ashhong said:
Exited TVersity, and nope, WMP11 doesn't show. I used to have all of them show up before...weird. And I turned on my laptop, and WMP11 immediately shows. So I thought maybe it was a firewall problem, turned off Norton, but nope, still doesn't work. What gives?

Restart PS3? Something it bugs off. Check if your DLNA enabled setting is on, maybe it got resetted. Restart both PC and PS3 and check again. If it was working before and working with your laptop, should eventually show up.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Ok I gave up on this thing a while back. I came back to it remembering that Divx is now supported. I love it, but it's SO unreliable for me. I use WMP 11. I'll play a video or 2, but after I choose a random one it won't play, it'll go to a black screen and I can still close it, but nothing happens. After this none of my videos work, until randomly later they all start to work again. Same thing happens with the music. My visualization will start to play, but the music just doesn't go. Any help?

Cloak

OH YEA!!! finally i got my PC to stream to my PS3!:D :D :D

I don't know if anyone saw my old posts, but i couldn't do a damn thing to get this working. It finally took a full format and reinstall of XP. and now its all good. I am using WMP11 right now.

What is the benefit of using TVersity? Is this the one that allows me to stream different formats that aren't supported by the PS3 such as divx?

a.wd

which is the better media device PS3 or 360, I ahve both hooked up to the telly and I can seem to play more stuff through the 360, but the PS3 is nicer for music in my opinion (though the lack of custom soundtracks in games = EPIC FAIL)

I want to move one console to the bedroom to do the media stuff and play games when the missus is watching chick tv (am i the only one who wants to wholesale massacre the casts of britains and americas next top model, oh and my sweet fucking sixteen?)

If anyone else who has been using both has an idea could you outline the differences for me?I know some stuff but its always good to get opinions...

a.wd

msdstc said:
Ok I gave up on this thing a while back. I came back to it remembering that Divx is now supported. I love it, but it's SO unreliable for me. I use WMP 11. I'll play a video or 2, but after I choose a random one it won't play, it'll go to a black screen and I can still close it, but nothing happens. After this none of my videos work, until randomly later they all start to work again. Same thing happens with the music. My visualization will start to play, but the music just doesn't go. Any help?

yeah I have had that loads as well! I thought it was the files but they play on 360 and PC? What is the black screen stuff?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
a.wd said:
which is the better media device PS3 or 360, I ahve both hooked up to the telly and I can seem to play more stuff through the 360, but the PS3 is nicer for music in my opinion (though the lack of custom soundtracks in games = EPIC FAIL)
It depends what you want to play. X360 is still a bit more compatible with DIVX/XVID files (which is something promised to be fixed in a future PS3 update), PS3 has much better DVD upscaling and obviously it has BD playback.

Huggers

Cloak said:
What is the benefit of using TVersity? Is this the one that allows me to stream different formats that aren't supported by the PS3 such as divx?

Good question, anyone got any ideas? I just started streaming music via WMP11 but will also want to stream videos, i tried TVersity a while back but couldn't get it working, is it worth the effort?

Cloak

The Hug Dog said:
Good question, anyone got any ideas? I just started streaming music via WMP11 but will also want to stream videos, i tried TVersity a while back but couldn't get it working, is it worth the effort?

I don't know for sure, but I'll probably try it once i get home from work. I checked out their site and it says that it works well with the PS3 FW 2.1

TVersity 0.9.11.4 is here with:

Support for the Sony PS3 firmware 2.1.
Transcode settings at the file/folder/url level.
A new optional menu hierarchy for folders only.
These last two features are the two most sought after features in our forums and so we are delighted to finally deliver.

You may have also noticed our new logo, we are in the process or redoing our GUI and website as well so please stay tuned.

Full release notes are at:
http://tversity.com/support/releasenotes/

Download the latest release at:
http://tversity.com/download/

Happy New Year from the TVersity team!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The Hug Dog said:
More than worth it, and it's not much of an effort either - PS3 should recognize it instantly, just as does WMP. You can stream anything using TVersity, even files not natively supported by PS3 - in that case TVersity transcodes them to MPEG1 or MPEG2 so that PS3 can play them. Files that are natively supported are not transcoded of course.

You can also copy files over the network to PS3 using TVersity, and again, you can even copy files that need to be transcoded first. You can copy/play any media, be it music, pictures or videos.

DemonCleaner said:
will there be mkv-compatibility at some point? converting 720p tv stuff to .mp4 becomes kind of a pain in the balls after a few weeks.

Search the Doom9 forums for a program called mkv2vob. Easy as shit to use and works perfectly.

TVERSITY IS PRETTY FANTASTIC
If your using it correctly.

Basically where TVersity shines is converting any movies, clips, shows that you have downloaded that are not run natively on the PS3.

_leech_ said:
Can anyone tell me how to get a custom folder structure in TVersity to work, please?

Dont know if this is exactly what your looking for but I hope it helps.

Your basic folder structure should be:

MoviesShows_Transcoded
MoviesShows_NoTrans

Once you got that going just test it out. Always make sure you try your downloaded files not transcoded before transcoding them since they look so much better.

TIPS:

-To set up folders to be Transcoded or not make sure when your creating a new directory you hit the advanced tab and extend your settings.

-Change your transcode settings in the Settings tab to be 1280x720 for image compression which will make your videos look far better than the default.(Not recommended if you dont have at least a 1.5 High speed connection)

-Set the Compression to Minimal

Can somebody help me out with mediatomb on ubuntu? I run Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy but I downloaded and installed the Feisty 7.04 Debian package. My question is, what do I do now? Is mediatomb a program like tversity (which I loved) or do I somehow use it through Amarok or rhythmbox? Thanks.

koam

How do I add files to my TVersity library? I got TVersity to appear on my PS3 but i can't see any of my files.

In Tversity, I then added my library. When i go to the "sharing tab" and under "Home:Media" i see "My videos". The problem is, when i click on the library tab i see nothing. Just black and the word TVersity. I tried a refresh, still nothing.

squicken

So I spent the weekend configuring tversity to work with the ps3. Holy cow! Absolutely amazing what this thing can do. Using the mkv2vob, all my huge mkv files will play on the ps3 with DD 5.1. I can even copy the files onto the PS3 HDD. I was going to upgrade to 120 GB but now I'm thinking I'll need something like 250 GB at least. That last part is such a huge advantage over the 360. The PS3 is now my media HUB, plain and simple. Is there a way to create a folder structure on the PS3? Right now, it seems like I can only just move stuff over to the PS3 and then have to scroll through a long list of files. Playlists would be cool too ;)

Still have an A/V firmware related complaints though. Why can't all games be scaled to 1080p like 360? This shouldn't be on a game by game basis. It needs to be like the 360 where all games can be scaled to 1080p output. I'm thinking of getting a new AVR for the lossless audio, but the units that can be set to scale and output 1080p over HDMI are still pretty steep :(

Top Bottom