• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC to PS3 Media Streaming (DLNA) Thread

Dunlop

Lain said:
For me it has been the opposite.
I had to work hard to get TVersity send the subs along with the videos, to get the transcoding working etc, while with PS3MS I only had to install it, start it and got everything working from the start.
Needless to say that I deleted TVersity and only use PS3MS now.

While I think it is better know, I remember installing TVersity close to 2 years ago where I almost had to sacrifice a chicken to make it work. I just find the app to be to heavy now.

jett

D-Member
I've tried many of these media server programs...but I can NEVER stream mp4 files properly, it's always really really choppy. Constatnly buffering. It doesn't make any sense to me. I can stream WMV files with a much higher bitrate just fine, but if I try any mp4, no matter the bitrate, I'm screwed. Just...what the hell.

kodt

Banned
PS3 Media Server worked much better than TVersity in my experience.

With TVersity I had to transcode some 1080p MKV's before they would play which took hours. The playback was also choppy on occasion. PS3MS plays back smoothly.

Also PS3MS can read VOB files from ISO files which is awesome, RIP DVD -> Stream to PS3. No need to convert them to AVI's first. (which takes a while)

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
NameGenerated said:
So after using PMS it appears a large majority of my iTunes album covers have disappeared. Does anyone know why or how to fix it? Will I have to re-get all the covers and will it just happen again? Some of them are still there but most disappeared.
Anyone? Maybe the day crowd can help.

All of those used to have artwork.

Edit: Now that I see this, it seems some albums are doubled up with a couple songs in a new album. Weird.

Edit2: Also all of the track numbers for every song are gone. wtf did this thing do?

Rhindle

NameGenerated said:
Anyone? Maybe the day crowd can help.

All of those used to have artwork.
My experience with the PS3 is that you need to embed cover art directly in the files (as opposed to album folders), in order for it to show up consistently. I don't know whether iTunes offers that option. I use MediaMonkey and that works well.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
The album art on the PS3 works just fine, but for some reason most of it got deleted in iTunes, along with the album track number.

Raistlin

cakefoo said:
Also, IIRC, Tversity's folder structure buries your media folders deeper than PSMS's.

I believe you can configure that in TVersity

jett said:
I've tried many of these media server programs...but I can NEVER stream mp4 files properly, it's always really really choppy. Constatnly buffering. It doesn't make any sense to me. I can stream WMV files with a much higher bitrate just fine, but if I try any mp4, no matter the bitrate, I'm screwed. Just...what the hell.

I believe the newest beta update for PMS improves MP4 playback. Haven't had a chance to test though

KillJade

Banned
Couple of questions from a friend for those that use Tversity.

1. When subscribing to an RSS video podcast, it automatically downloads the latest episode. Is there a way to get it to automatically download all the past episodes as well without clicking on them one by one in the XMB?

2. Will all future episodes download automatically?

3. And finally, is there any way to be notified automatically when new content is available?

Dunlop

PjotrStroganov said:
The latest PS3MS mentioned by Rhindle seems to be a bit slow when browsing and streaming media.

yeah I just installed it and it seems brutally slow to browse. And that was just my video, I fear adding my music

anyone know a good site(s) for links to stick in the config file for internet radio,video, podcasts ect.... ?

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
In the newest version of PlayOn, they have enabled Local Media Sharing. I have been playing with it all morning and it works pretty well with a couple of issues.

I currently use TVersity to stream media from my PC to PS3 and this new PlayOn version is much much faster. Also has played every file I tried without a hitch.

Downside is...it is not listing my files by name...all my videos show up by video size :lol

So I basically pick a file and wait to see what it is.

Newest Release notes here ----> http://www.themediamall.com/releasenotes

If the file listing thing can be fixed. I will drop TVersity in a heartbeat based on early impressions.

RotBot

The PlayOn local media seems to be transcoding everything, even if your PS3 can handle a video natively. PS3 Media Server still works better for local media.

If you use PlayOn, there's a Plugin community that's starting to pick up steam. I don't think it's been mentioned here.

Current plugins include Adult Swim, GameTrailers, Food Network, NFL.com, a bunch of Podcasts
and RedTube.

Has anyone tried out TVersity Pro? It has a few sites that PlayOn and its plugins don't cover yet.

Fusebox

Banned
jett said:
I've tried many of these media server programs...but I can NEVER stream mp4 files properly, it's always really really choppy.

Cabled from the PC to the router and the router to the PS3? Wireless anywhere in-between will usually cause stuttery video.

Schrade

gregor7777 said:
Goddam thank you to to the author of PS3 Media Server. Great little program. TVersity is so heavy, and so shitty.
The weirdest thing of all is that PS3 Media Server is a Java app. Pretty amazing for what usually is a death sentence for programs.

Of course, you still get some quirks, like how PS3MS decided to suddenly and completely stop detecting the PS3 on my friend's computer. It still works on my laptop, but on the other hand my computer is so bad it can't stream anything above 480p, even on the "low quality" setting. What should I be doing to keep my stuff going as stutter-free as possible?

jett said:

I always play them from the transcode folder in PS3MS and they play fine, I think much of it is your PC power. Since getting a new PC everything plays smooth without a single hitch.

Schrade said:
The weirdest thing of all is that PS3 Media Server is a Java app. Pretty amazing for what usually is a death sentence for programs.

What? Azureus and PS3 Media Server and other cross platform network apps run great in Java. In fact I think its the best technology to use for such apps.

What are you saying?

BushinKun

Banned
Schrade said:

Actually it uses native programs written in C/C++ for actual transcodind and other intensive processes. The best part is that the app basically sits on top of a stack of OSS programs that work on OSX/Linux/Windows/etc. This means it can constantly improve and be better than the sum of it's parts. :)

spwolf

BushinKun said:
Actually it uses native programs written in C/C++ for actual transcodind and other intensive processes. The best part is that the app basically sits on top of a stack of OSS programs that work on OSX/Linux/Windows/etc. This means it can constantly improve and be better than the sum of it's parts. :)

yeah, actualy decoding/encoding is done using native libraries for the speed reasons, while gui itself is java. While Java compiler has gotten better, still is generally 2x slower than C/C++ and of course, gotta love the baggage :D. Works well here though.

Not sure how up to date the original post is so I'll just ask away here. So here is the situation.

My brother recently bought a new laptop and he asked me to set it up so he could stream content to his PS3. I did this for him a good while back on his old computer when he first got his PS3.

So tonight I went over to his house and tried to do it for him again. Last time I used tversity so I used the same program again and I also use tversity for my 360 on my computer at my home.

So I set it up and the PS3 sees the shared content but when I actually tried to play it on the PS3 it was really hitchy. It would stop or get out of sync and pause every 30 seconds or so. I tried looking around and following a few different setup instructions involving different codecs but none of it seemed to fix the problem and it's been so long since I set mine up or his old one that I don't remember how I specifically did it at all.

So I guess my question is, is there a better program to do this with on the PS3 or is there simply a right way to do it and set it up and I'm doing it wrong? If there is a perfect way to do it, or a better program to use I would appreciate a point in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Also not sure if it matters but his last computer and my computer is Vista. But his new computer came with XP.

Try PS3 Media Server first of all. Leave the options alone at first, but I think you need to add your media folder where your content is.

Try uninstalling any video/audio codec you may have installed, and start fresh using one of the big media codec packs.

Is his CPU up to transcoding the content? Maybe that's where it's choking. Is it a wireless network? Maybe the issue is there.

Schrade

If this is over a wireless connection: It might not be getting a fast enough connection. (Too much wireless interference, too many metal objects between the PS3 and the router, router antennas not at the correct height/angle, etc)

If this is over a wired connection: Could be due to the computer doing the streaming trying to transcode everything and it's too slow.

Do what gregor7777 says and use PS3 Media Server instead.

It's definitely over a wireless connection but so was the last computer. It's a laptop so I'm sure its probably not a monster processor in it but to be honest I didn't really check. I just assumed it was up to snuff but perhaps its not. I'm going back over Wednesday so I'll take any advice and try it out then.

I'll look into PS3 Media Server

Schrade

Stoney Mason said:
It's definitely over a wireless connection but so was the last computer.
Wireless is a very touchy thing. You have to remember that it can be affected by placement, interference, settings, etc.

Wireless doesn't "just work good" unless you've got the devices right next to each other. You have to make it work good by setting things up correctly and making sure line of site for the antennas aren't being interfered with.

Schrade said:
Wireless is a very touchy thing. You have to remember that it can be affected by placement, interference, settings, etc.

Wireless doesn't "just work good" unless you've got the devices right next to each other. You have to make it work good by setting things up correctly and making sure line of site for the antennas aren't being interfered with.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into that Wednesday.

Rhindle

A two-way wireless streaming setup is going to be iffy even under the best of circumstances. I certainly wouldn't expect to be able to stream any HD content with that setup.

Try connecting your laptop to your router by wired Ethernet. If that works, then there's your answer.

expy

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Thanks for the info. I'll look into that Wednesday.

Also take into account that if both devices (PS3/360 and Media Server PC/Laptop) are on wireless connections the latency will be worse as well.

It's always best to have at least one of the devices connected to the router/switch/etc. by wire (by my experience, but I have both connected via Ethernet cable). The bandwidth capacity of the routing device and bandwidth usage of other devices connected to the central routing can also affect the quality of the transmission.

Just check all devices to see whether or not their transmitting anything across the network and figure out if it is affecting your media server.

Rhindle said:
A two-way wireless streaming setup is going to be iffy even under the best of circumstances. I certainly wouldn't expect to be able to stream any HD content with that setup.

Thanks this is definitely the current case and in my home situation they are both wired connections. His old setup was where the computer was wired also but the PS3 wasn't. I didn't even think about it being two wireless situations this time.

btw thanks for the help. It turned out to be the two wireless connections as somebody has mentioned. Once I straightened out the signals and used a wired connection for the laptop if worked fine.

I didn't realize this program also worked on the 360.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well I formatted my PC not long ago to upgrade from the beta to the Windows 7 RC. Anyways, I had to download PS3MediaServer again, so now I have the latest version. This version is not working out for me at all.

I'm streaming simple and small shows (350mb per 44min)...no transcoding or anything. This is done through my wired connection, which hasn't changed since my format. Anyways, the show would appear to stream fine for a while, but it will skip now and then, as if the connection isn't satisfactory.

Any clue what the cause may be?

edit: I may have fixed the problem. Only difference since last time is that I had 100TX Full-Duplex selected through my PS3. I set it to autodetect now...seems like files are transferring a lot faster now, so I think it'll be okay.

edit2: nope, no fix.

outsidah

What is highest quality file you all are able to stream over wireless? I used to have my PS3 through a wired connection but due to changes in where my router is now located, I can't. 1080P stream chokes all over the place on PMS as mentioned here.

KillJade

Banned
We have to cancel our cable TV while I'm looking for work, and I'd like to compensate for the loss by subscribing to a few internet TV streams.

Does anyone know of a few decent URLs to streams that I can add to my PS3 Media Server that we would enjoy? Primetime TV stuff, kids' programming, sports, etc.

I can't find any direct links to add to the web.conf file, so hopefully some here already have a few good ones programmed into your MS that you can share.

I'm in Canada btw, so Hulu doesn't work for me.

Phreak47

Bishman said:
Is there anyway to get Hulu to work on the PS3?

Yes, use the Pro version of Tversity, here: http://tversity.com/pro/
It's an "honor system" licensing... free to download and use for now with no activation/expiration.

Anyway, you can access your Hulu queue through this. You still have to add items/subscriptions from a regular web browser though. Also, certain full shows that have that screen where you can choose how you wish to view the mandatory advertising don't seem to work either... I can never get the PS3 to get past those screens.

KillJade

Banned
I've found the perfect solution ot my streaming needs to be a combination of Tversity and PS3MS.

Tversity for 90% of my streaming needs, it's GUI is easy to interface with and adding new content or removing old stuff is a breeze and automated every morning.

However, on the odd video file that doesn't work, I use PS3MS to transcode the file and watch it that way.

So using them both is the best way to ensure 100% streaming compatibility, so yeah, take that for what it's worth.

RotBot said:
Current plugins include Adult Swim, GameTrailers, Food Network, NFL.com, a bunch of Podcasts
and RedTube.

ya these plugins are pretty cool...i like the spike, nba and southpark ones and they seem to be coming out with new ones every week now...

switch from using PS3 Media Server for all my local stuff from tversity and have not looked back...

gtmax

I've been having audio problems with PMS. There's a small delay in the audio and it's really annoying. It's there a way to fix it through PMS?

jonabbey

I've had great luck using MediaTomb on my Linux box. I'm about to upgrade the 'box from a 2.4GHz P4 to a quad-core i7 920, at which point I'm going to get serious about ripping and transcoding.

Bishman said:
Is there anyway to get Hulu to work on the PS3?

best way is with playon...wait for the $20 special deal they sometimes have...you can access all of the hulu content and user que...also a ton more stuff with plugins

Bishman

Phreak47 said:
Yes, use the Pro version of Tversity, here: http://tversity.com/pro/
It's an "honor system" licensing... free to download and use for now with no activation/expiration.

Anyway, you can access your Hulu queue through this. You still have to add items/subscriptions from a regular web browser though. Also, certain full shows that have that screen where you can choose how you wish to view the mandatory advertising don't seem to work either... I can never get the PS3 to get past those screens.
Is there no way to get it to work with PS3 MS?

SOLDIER

I was wondering if PS3 Media Server has been updated to allow HD content through sites (such as Gametrailers HD), or if there's a program that does.

Bishman

Streaming is working real well with TVersity but I am getting audio coming out my computer speakers too. I only want it on my TV. How do I turn it off?

Drek

Bishman said:
Streaming is working real well with TVersity but I am getting audio coming out my computer speakers too. I only want it on my TV. How do I turn it off?
That is still an issue? I read that they where expecting to fix that back a few months ago when I last tried it out.

I greatly prefer PlayOn for online streaming. I currently use a NAS with Twonky to distribute my media, while it does require me to convert everything before storing it on the NAS its just so convenient having everything on one massive networked drive.

SOLDIER said:
I was wondering if PS3 Media Server has been updated to allow HD content through sites (such as Gametrailers HD), or if there's a program that does.

Make a custom RSS at gametrailers and add it to your WEB.conf file.

Tonay

Banned
I've been using tversity but goddamn I hate that when you're streaming HD, you can't fast forward like halfway into a show without the whole thing freezing up. So I'm just burning my stuff to a dvd data disc and playing it off there half the time, as wirelessly copying a file from the pc to ps3 takes AAAAGES.

Tonay said:
I've been using tversity but goddamn I hate that when you're streaming HD, you can't fast forward like halfway into a show without the whole thing freezing up. So I'm just burning my stuff to a dvd data disc and playing it off there half the time, as wirelessly copying a file from the pc to ps3 takes AAAAGES.

I haven't used tversity, but instead of fastforwarding have tried using the "go to" command? Press triangle, select the "go to" arrow, then select a point in the video timeline to jump to. I use this method all the time with ps3ms.

Top Bottom