• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC to PS3 Media Streaming (DLNA) Thread

expy

Banned
The Frankman said:
any help?
PS3MS lets you browse your file-system structure and play any media file. If it can't play it natively, then you can select "TRANSCODE" to play a transcoded stream.

expy said:
PS3MS lets you browse your file-system structure and play any media file. If it can't play it natively, then you can select "TRANSCODE" to play a transcoded stream.
Thanks!

I'm trying to play streaming content and I keep getting the DLNA protocol 2006 error... time to re-read the FAQ/Guide for a solution.

Ok, it seems any VideoLan stream fails to work due to an incompatibility with PS3MS. I'm checking their boards now, but I hear users have also had some sucess rolling back to VideoLAN 0.98... ugh.

EDIT: Trace feature confirms it. VideoLAN 0.98 here I come. :(

Kinan

Magnus said:
Is it possible to use TVersity to stream what would ordinarily display on my monitor (no matter what it is I'm doing or running) to my PS3 for display on the connected TV instead?

I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible to create a direct live stream of my PC display (or even just for one game or app that I'm running) and route it through something like TVersity to my PS3/TV.
Hmm, thats an interesting idea. One could use something like http://www.splitmedialabs.com/vh-video-sdk/vh-screen-capture, or something similar to create a live feed...

Got to try it over weekend, though high quality feed will most likely eat too much resources of my not so new PC to be useful. Will report here next week.

Paraclete

Banned
The Dutch Slayer said:
Does anyone have a way to stream .mkv through TVersity to my ps3 or is that just impossible because the ps3 can't read .mkv natively?
I know you can do it with some of the other programs listed

Woz

expy said:

I keep gettin' "corrupet file" message, even with transcoded files...

EDIT:

I'm using an iMac G5.

Van Owen

Banned
The Dutch Slayer said:
Does anyone have a way to stream .mkv through TVersity to my ps3 or is that just impossible because the ps3 can't read .mkv natively?

Use mkv2vob on the file. Takes about a minute.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Van Owen said:
Use mkv2vob on the file. Takes about a minute.

...or use PS3 Media Server, which can do transmuxing (which is what MKV2VOB does) on the fly when you choose to stream an MKV file.

Kinan

The Frankman said:
How about the VideoLAN non-support? Has anyone heard of a fix around that besides re-installing the last VLC that worked with PS3MS?

PC user.

Actually you dont need VLC in most cases, PS3MS uses mplayer for everything by default.
When exactly do you get your errors?

Kinan said:
Actually you dont need VLC in most cases, PS3MS uses mplayer for everything by default.
When exactly do you get your errors?
The minute I try to play any of the YouTube streamed stuff in the folders. Actually anything with a VideoLAN stream tag in the folders won't play.

Clott

I installed the PS3 MediaServer, but the PS3 seems to find the program but the program wont find the PS3, any help?

Kinan

The Frankman said:
The minute I try to play any of the YouTube streamed stuff in the folders. Actually anything with a VideoLAN stream tag in the folders won't play.

Yea, PS3M does not support Videolan 1.0+ for some reason, which is a shame. Looks like you need to revert to 0.98 (which is not that bad, actually).

I've tried to play with desktop streaming this weekend, but found no good solution so far.
Simplest way to do it, is "Display Share" tool. Its simple and it works, but works poorly with huge lag and bad quality. Although maybe on faster PCs it will do better.

Then I tried a couple of programs that can create a good quality stream of my desktop (ironically, one of them is Videolan 1.+), but i found no possibility to feed the streams to PS3M or TVersity.

If only any of them could support rtmp streams... :p

Kinan

Clott said:
I installed the PS3 MediaServer, but the PS3 seems to find the program but the program wont find the PS3, any help?

Wow,thats unusual. If PS3 finds a program, it also should work, so, can you stream stuff?

Also, are you sure you don't have two PS3M copies running and just looking into wrong window?

Schrade

Clott said:
Click on the General Configuration tab and go to the "Network Settings, change them only if troubles" section.

In the section that says "Force networking on interface:" click on the dropdown menu and select your Ethernet adapter's interface.

Click on the Save button at the top and then quit and restart the program.

The Dutch Slayer said:

Honestly, as someone who's tried every different way known to man, just buy a WDTV Live and be done with it. It's worth every penny. I couldn't stand having to use MKV2VOB.

edit: although I don't know that I ever tried PS3 media server. Oh well, <3 WDTV Live.

Schrade

BigNastyCurve said:
Honestly, as someone who's tried every different way known to man, just buy a WDTV Live and be done with it. It's worth every penny. I couldn't stand having to use MKV2VOB.

edit: although I don't know that I ever tried PS3 media server. Oh well, <3 WDTV Live.
PS3 Media Server is the answer to everything. No need to spend money if you already have a computer and a PS3.

Is anyone who uses PlayOn having issues with Hulu? For the last couple of days, when I try to watch anything on Hulu, the PS3 completely freezes up. I'm forced to restart the PS3. Then I get a message on restart stating that the PS3 did not shut down properly. This is also happening when I try to use the Adult Swim lua plugin.

I have tested CBS, Netflix, and ESPN. They all work just fine.

Prior to this, my only issues with Hulu were the occasional "This video is not available" message.

Yeah, PS3M is pretty much The Answer. Love that program.

As a matter of fact, I'd probably have sold my PS3 by now if not for PS3M.

Schrade said:
PS3 Media Server is the answer to everything. No need to spend money if you already have a computer and a PS3.
I have no idea why people aren't using PMS for simple streaming. I tried a few alternatives and came right back to PSM the same day. Just no comparison in terms of quality.

aristotle

I've tried several media streams to my PS3. I'm going to go with PS3 MS. Unfortunately the video keeps pausing. Is that due to my video card?

Triple U

Banned
abstract alien said:
I have no idea why people aren't using PMS for simple streaming. I tried a few alternatives and came right back to PSM the same day. Just no comparison in terms of quality.
This x 100. Its not even funny comparing how easy it was to set up PMS compared to some of those other servers.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What does cause that pausing on streaming videos using playon?

Sometimes I can watch hours pause-free, then it starts hitcching, sometimes pausing up to a minute.

I don't have anything running on my pc except the playon server, and no discs in my ps3.

Broseybrose

aristotle said:
I've tried several media streams to my PS3. I'm going to go with PS3 MS. Unfortunately the video keeps pausing. Is that due to my video card?
Nah, gpu has nothing to do with it. IF the video needs transcoding, its your cpu that does it.

And yeah, i was with tversity for a LONG while. didnt want to make the switch. but now that ive seen both in action, PS3 MS is the winner hands down.

FlyinJ said:
What does cause that pausing on streaming videos using playon?

Sometimes I can watch hours pause-free, then it starts hitcching, sometimes pausing up to a minute.

I don't have anything running on my pc except the playon server, and no discs in my ps3.

what are you watching with playon?

Lkr

are you guys using the beta or the stable build(a year old) for PMS? Is there a way to enable DXVA GPU acceleration? I know I have the CPU power to decode it, but GPU decoding is always much more flawless

xclaw

Lkr said:
are you guys using the beta or the stable build(a year old) for PMS? Is there a way to enable DXVA GPU acceleration? I know I have the CPU power to decode it, but GPU decoding is always much more flawless

I think I read something about installing the coreav codec and it can use cuda power in pms after configuration but I could be mistaken.

Kinan

xclaw said:
I think I read something about installing the coreav codec and it can use cuda power in pms after configuration but I could be mistaken.

Yea, it can be done that way. You'll need CoreAVC 1.9+, which is not free though. Probably makes sense only with somewhat rare combination of shitty processor and good video card.
On balanced setups speed increase is not significant/sometimes absent at all. You do get your main processor free for other tasks though.

i-Lo

Hey, I was wondering if I could get some help with a PS3MS issue:

I used to use the PS3 media server version 1.10.51 (It's a greatest free media server out there to date).

Recently however, I started having this issue where whenever I would run a .MKV file, the server would crash/close. As a result I was forced to use the new 1.20 version (BETA) of the software. As it's a beta, the one and only problem that it has is that it skips portions of certain vids sometimes.

Anyone else have or had this problem or know any solutions?

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I have been using PS3 MS forever now and it work(ed) flawlessly until this week. Now it will not detect my PS3 all of a sudden. I have removed it and re-installed it, gone over all my router settings, scoured the net for someone else with this same issue.

No luck.

ALL the other media servers work. Just PS3MS does not.

Makes no sense to me lol.

Back to PlayOn and TVersity for now I guess.

EDIT : Just tried another "fix" and still no luck. I just had ALL my DVDs ripped to my HD too, and it was working perfect....damn you random failure bug!

Broseybrose

aryanr said:
Hey, I was wondering if I could get some help with a PS3MS issue:

I used to use the PS3 media server version 1.10.51 (It's a greatest free media server out there to date).

Recently however, I started having this issue where whenever I would run a .MKV file, the server would crash/close. As a result I was forced to use the new 1.20 version (BETA) of the software. As it's a beta, the one and only problem that it has is that it skips portions of certain vids sometimes.

Anyone else have or had this problem or know any solutions?

Have you tried installing or re-installing haali media splitter? I strongly recommend you install it on your machine as its the best decoder for mkv files.

PS3 Media Server never gives me any problems with any file types. Its also a one step install, never think about it again type program. Very easy to use.

i-Lo

Broseybrose said:
Have you tried installing or re-installing haali media splitter? I strongly recommend you install it on your machine as its the best decoder for mkv files.

PS3 Media Server never gives me any problems with any file types. Its also a one step install, never think about it again type program. Very easy to use.

I am not very savvy when it comes to software programs which deal with decoding or encoding. As such, I must ask, does the Haali Matroska Splitter (thank you for the link btw. I have a 64 bit system, however it looks like there is no stable x64 version available for it) work in conjunction with PS3 media player acting as a direct transcoder for it? If so then what was the PS3 media server using before?

And finally does "Mencoder" simply stand for Media Encoder? (I see it while playing AAC tracks on the PS3, not streaming though, although I see it there as well).

Mr Pockets said:
I have been using PS3 MS forever now and it work(ed) flawlessly until this week. Now it will not detect my PS3 all of a sudden. I have removed it and re-installed it, gone over all my router settings, scoured the net for someone else with this same issue.

No luck.

ALL the other media servers work. Just PS3MS does not.

Makes no sense to me lol.

Back to PlayOn and TVersity for now I guess.

EDIT : Just tried another "fix" and still no luck. I just had ALL my DVDs ripped to my HD too, and it was working perfect....damn you random failure bug!

Have you recently updated the version of Java on the server? Also, do you have PS3MS installed as a service?

vazel

Banned
I've had ps3ms not detect my ps3 but it was always resolved after a few times of using the scan for media server feature on the ps3.
aryanr said:
I am not very savvy when it comes to software programs which deal with decoding or encoding. As such, I must ask, does the Haali Matroska Splitter (thank you for the link btw. I have a 64 bit system, however it looks like there is no stable x64 version available for it) work in conjunction with PS3 media player acting as a direct transcoder for it? If so then what was the PS3 media server using before?

And finally does "Mencoder" simply stand for Media Encoder? (I see it while playing AAC tracks on the PS3, not streaming though, although I see it there as well).
You don't need haali or anything else. ps3ms is self-contained. My ps3ms server has no codecs or haali installed. Don't know why you're having problems with skipping, you sure your wifi setup can handle the streaming? Have ps3ms set to use multicore?

i-Lo

vazel said:
I've had ps3ms not detect my ps3 but it was always resolved after a few times of using the scan for media server feature on the ps3.
You don't need haali or anything else. ps3ms is self-contained. My ps3ms server has no codecs or haali installed. Don't know why you're having problems with skipping, you sure your wifi setup can handle the streaming? Have ps3ms set to use multicore?

If you read my original post (post 1139), I did state that I used to run the 1.10.5 version without any hitch till one day when it started to crash while trying to play .MKV files (which it did without any problem before).

I reinstalled without any remedy. When I finally installed the unstable beta version 1.20 of the PS3MS, I found it to have a skipping problem with certain video contents (wmv and mkv included) at certain times (which would correct itself after a while).

I am guessing it might be some sort of incompatibility issue with the recent versions of java.

My system config:

Q6700
4GB RAM
750 GB HDD with at least 150GB free at any given time.

I did check the option for the multi core processing advantage option and the server 1.10.5 still crashed.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I have redone installs (two different versions), wiped and reset all my network settings, tried installing it on three different machines (WinXP Pro, Home, and Windows 7).

I have installed it stand alone and as a service, on all machines. I have had my PS3 in and out of DMZ, I have had both static and dynamic IP, forced network interface, different IPs, different ports. I also tried both wired and wireless connections.

Nothing.

MY PS3 simply does not see it anymore.

Over the last few days I have downloaded and installed every other media server I could find on the net and EVERY SINGLE ONE works. They all suck compared to PMS, but at least they work.

Hell even the server that came with my FIOS service works :lol

My only theory??

I had not been playing games on my PS3 in a while, so fell behind on updates and firmware etc. Then in the last few weeks I have gotten 2-3 new games and have upgraded to the newest firmware and software versions of my older games.

Something in one of those processes killed it somehow. Why me and nobody else I have no idea.

Hell I even uninstalled demos & addons I got recently just in case.

Ah well, life goes on. Someday another media option will come out that works and is as nice as PMS.....I hope :lol

Schrade

Mr Pockets: Set your PC to be a static IP and force the IP in PS3 Media Server.

Also make sure that PS3 Media Server is only listening to your Ethernet Device and not something else (Like Hamachi or something)

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Schrade said:
Mr Pockets: Set your PC to be a static IP and force the IP in PS3 Media Server.

Also make sure that PS3 Media Server is only listening to your Ethernet Device and not something else (Like Hamachi or something)
I think I did try that, but I will check my "list" I wrote up to keep track of everything I tried.

Still makes no sense why it would stop working all of a sudden.

The last thing I installed on the computer that is hosting it was back in Feb (And that was just and update to my web browser :lol ).

Asside from a few websites I frequent and have always gone to (GAF included), the setup is unchanged. So everything works fine for over a year and then BOOM...gone just near the end of APril.

Strange indeed!

Lkr

I thought PMS could play MKV files...well I browsed and the file doesn't appear. What am I doing wrong?

Schrade

Lkr said:
I thought PMS could play MKV files...well I browsed and the file doesn't appear. What am I doing wrong?
Make sure you're browsing video files from the Video section of the XMB.

Top Bottom