• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC to PS3 Media Streaming (DLNA) Thread

see5harp said:
If I leave DTS in the stream untouched, in a lot of cases my computer or network cannot handle depending on the video bitrate.

I bet you stream over a wireless connection.

You could always try to fiddle with the video quality in the stream or just not use DTS;)

Audioboxer

SOLDIER said:
Does this overwrite whatever PMS build is installed, or is it a separate program?

It overwrites.

The developer is now one of the main PS3 MS developers. He takes a vanilla trunk build and adds all his personal touches.

No need to worry it is just PS3 MS spruced up. For one, it replaces the ugly green PS3 MS icon on your computer AND PS3 ;)

I tried to play an mkv file using PS3MS and got major stuttering, so I'm trying to use Mk2vob to try and convert the file but keep getting this error.
NA7V7l.jpg

Halp...

Used-ID

If you are trying a mkv file that is 1080i/p or is a 720p with decent audio and going over wireless forget it. Even running over a wireless-N (5Ghz) connection I get stuttering.

Now running over a gigabit cable I can stream 1080p with DTS without any issues...

PS3MediaServer is pretty much install and run, well, assuming you aren't using an old PC/Mac to power it.

Audioboxer

upJTboogie said:
Well that's why was trying to convert it to an avi or something more steaming friendly, but that error keeps popping up.

Doesn't really matter what container you convert it to, if the video bitrate is high you'll get stuttering if you're on wireless.

Why not just copy whatever movie/TV show it is to the PS3 hard drive? Triangle - Copy on the file through PS3MediaServer. Might take an hour or so, but at least you'll get to watch whatever it is stutter free.

Used-ID

Have you adjusted the quality settings under the transcode tab?

All PS3MediaServer does is auto-convert stuff to mpeg2 then stream that mpeg2 data to the PS3 since that is all it can handle.

Maybe a lower quality / lower bitrate mpeg2 stream will help you out?

Doesn't really matter what container you convert it to, if the video bitrate is high you'll get stuttering if you're on wireless.

Why not just copy whatever movie/TV show it is to the PS3 hard drive? Triangle - Copy on the file through PS3MediaServer. Might take an hour or so, but at least you'll get to watch whatever it is stutter free.
That's what I will try next, although suddenly the #transcode# folder is missing even though I don't have that setting enabled.

alright it's back now.

Audioboxer

Used-ID said:
Have you adjusted the quality settings under the transcode tab?

All PS3MediaServer does is auto-convert stuff to mpeg2 then stream that mpeg2 data to the PS3 since that is all it can handle.

Maybe a lower quality / lower bitrate mpeg2 stream will help you out?

PS3MediaServer will stream AVC fine if the HD content is DVXA compliant. It will only convert to MPEG2 if it has to.

Therefore there's a good chance what he is streaming will be doing so 1:1 with no transcoding, merely a container change from .MKV to .MPG. However due to the stuttering it may indeed be transcoding, as when PS3MediaServer transcodes from AVC to MPEG2 the bitrate shoots up, MPEG2 requires a higher bitrate than AVC to produce similar quality results, sometimes double or even triple the original bitrate.

A quick way to check what is happening is to start playing the file, then push select, and the video codec being used is displayed on the overlay, top right.

gtmax

Guys i'm on a Mac and i'm having issues sharing my external HDD with PMS. I'm not getting the option for my external HDDs. Furthermore, they keep going on sleep mode every five minutes.

Help please....

Shai-Tan

Banned
upJTboogie said:
I tried to play an mkv file using PS3MS and got major stuttering, so I'm trying to use Mk2vob to try and convert the file but keep getting this error.
NA7V7l.jpg

Halp...

it's a problem with compressed headers in mkv streams. you can install mkvtoolnix then run some kind of batch file to remove the compression

here's the one I use:

@ECHO OFF
cd "%~dp0"
REM SET MKVTOOLPATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\MKVToolnix
SET KEY="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\mmg.exe"
FOR /F "tokens=2*" %%A IN ('REG QUERY %KEY%') DO SET MKVTOOLPATH=%%B
ECHO MKVToolnix found at %MKVTOOLPATH% > logging.txt
FOR /F "delims=*" %%A IN ('dir /b /s *.MKV') do CALL :MKVFIXMUX "%%A" "%MKVTOOLPATH%"
START "" logging.txt
GOTO :eof
:MKVFIXMUX
"%~dp2mkvmerge.exe" -o "%~dpn1_fix.MKV" --engage keep_bitstream_ar_info -A -S --compression -1:none "%~dpnx1" -D -S --compression -1:none "%~dpnx1" -A -D "%~dpnx1"
if not errorlevel 0 (
ECHO Failed on %~nx1 remux! >> logging.txt
goto :eof
)
if exist "%~dpn1_fix.MKV" (
del "%~dpnx1"
rename "%~dpn1_fix.MKV" "%~nx1"
)
ECHO Processing of %~nx1 successful! >> logging.txt
goto :eof

create a file like fix.bat then put the text above in it. (be careful, it doesn't check if the headers are compressed first like some other scripts, so only run it in a dir with files that need to be fixed. there are probably some better ones out there)

Serviio recommended by Sony EU for DLNA also found here.

Welcome to Serviio
Serviio is a free DLNA media server. It allows you to stream your media files (music, video or images) to any DLNA-certified renderer device (e.g. a TV set, Bluray player, games console) on your home network.

Serviio uses a priority-based metadata extraction so that you can choose what metadata should describe your media files (e.g. audio track name, DVD cover, TV series and episodes names, etc.). These include metadata embedded into the media files themselves, locally stored metadata files (images, Swisscenter, XBMC) and metadata that can be obtained online. With this powerful tool you will be able to build your Serviio media library easily and effectively.

Appears to be more stable. PS3media server sometimes doesn't show up after a reboot (some conflict) and this happens on Friends and family computers. I found Serviio after I installed a Sony blu-ray player, PS3mediaserver would not support it but Serviio does.

Plus is that it has better metadata support, minus is that it does not support MOV (at least from my Kodak camera, later versions of PS3mediaserver do). It does support Matroska and apparently Serviio discovered and fixed a bug that causes stuttering when wireless streaming to the PS3 due to block size sent.

Here are some key features of "Serviio":

· DLNA 1.5 compatible UPnP media server
· streams audio, video (SD & HD) and image files in their native format or transcoded in real-time
· automatically udpates the media library when you add/update/remove a media file or a metadata file
· wide array of library browsing options
· supports different editable renderer profiles
· supports automatic renderer detection (for certain devices)
· extracts metadata of your media files the way you want it, incl. embedded metadata tags, local metadata files, online metadata sources
· supports video thumbnails, CD covers, DVD posters, etc.
· categorizes video files into movie and/or series and marks last viewed episodes of a series

Supported renderers:
· any DLNA-compliant device should work
· Samsung TVs (supports additional features, e.g. subtitles)
· Samsung Bluray players
· Sony TVs
· Panasonic TVs
· Playstation 3
· Xbox 360
· LG Bluray players
· WDTV Live
· Oppo BDP-83
· MusicPal
· DirecTV DVR

Supported media files:
· Audio: MP3( .mp3), Windows Media Audio (.wma)
· Video: MPEG-1 (.mpg, .mpeg), MPEG-2 PS (.mpg, .mpeg, vob, mod), MPEG-2 TS (.ts, .m2ts), MPEG-4 (.mp4, m4v, mov), AVI (.avi, .divx), Windows Media Video (.wmv, .asf), Matroska (.mkv)
· Image: JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg)
Requirements:

· 378 MB of memory or more (2GB recommended)
· 20 MB of disk space (plus additional space for storing library definition), when using transcoding make sure there is at least 1GB free (depending on the original file size)

Audioboxer

jeff_rigby said:

Appears to be more stable. PS3media server sometimes doesn't show up after a reboot (some conflict) and this happens on Friends and family computers. I found Serviio after I installed a Sony blu-ray player, PS3mediaserver would not support it but Serviio does.

Plus is that it has better metadata support, minus is that it does not support MOV (at least from my Kodak camera, later versions of PS3mediaserver do). It does support Matroska and apparently Serviio discovered and fixed a bug that causes stuttering when wireless streaming to the PS3 due to block size sent.

No offence to you jeff, but IMO this really pales in comparison to PS3MS, but it is indeed mostly because I'm a power user and enjoy a vast array of settings. That and I don't know if serviio supports DTS streaming (only tried it with a few divx movies, no HD).

Since PS3MS support/development has ramped back up, it'll be hard for anything to change what I use. The Subjunk builds work great for me.

No offence to you jeff, but IMO this really pales in comparison to PS3MS, but it is indeed mostly because I'm a power user and enjoy a vast array of settings. That and I don't know if serviio supports DTS streaming (only tried it with a few divx movies, no HD).

Since PS3MS support/development has ramped back up, it'll be hard for anything to change what I use. The Subjunk builds work great for me.
I agree, I'll be looking at PS3MS in the future to see where it stands in relation to Serviio.

Right now for my Mother and Sister, they require something that works every time reliably. I've had to troubleshoot on the phone when PS3MS doesn't show up on the XMB.

Have any of you guys tried the Sharkhunter build of PMS3? It supports channels and navi-x. I'm trying to get it to work, and it seems very promising. You basically can stream shitloads of web content straight to your game console.

Anyone heard of an extension to DLNA called RVUA which allows sharing of media from, for example, a DVR cablebox both the recorded media and access to live media from one of the DVR box tuners. RUVA standard includes DRM and bitmapped menus served by the DVR box with keycode returns for control. It can be supported by thin clients with little CPU power like for instance Apple TV or a game console like the Xbox which has such a feature with one of the cable companies.

Might come to the PS3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RVU_Alliance

The RVU Protocol was defined to solve the problem of how to provide a consistent television user interface throughout the home, without requiring the use of a dedicated set-top box for each television. The RVU Protocol is a communications protocol which runs on a media server device and multiple client devices. RVU uses open standards (including DLNA and UPnP) which are already in use in the consumer electronics field.

The clients can consist of various manufacturer-branded TVs, Blu-ray players or other client devices. The server generates the user guide and other data and sends this for the client to display. In this way the clients can be low complexity or "thin" client devices, while still providing a full user interface experience to the user. Once an RVU compliant device is connected to an RVU server, the TV viewer can watch the same or different content from any room of the home. Viewers can access the same prerecorded or live content from the server via the client device as if a set-top box were present, with the same user guide experience.

RVU supports networking on existing home infrastructure, but is agnostic to the transport mechanism and can work on wireless technologies such as 802.11 or wired technologies such as Ethernet or MoCA.

RVU supports a Remote User Interface (RUI) that allows user interactions such as trick play (e.g., pause and rewind) and the running of interactive applications.

The published aims of the RVU Alliance are to expand the use of the RVU Protocol to enable users to:

Receive the same experience at every TV through the same look and feel
Provide access to high-definition programming from any TV in the home
Record and playback high-definition programming from any TV in the home
Access to personal media content (e.g., videos and photos) from any TV in the home
Interact with weather, enhanced sports, and other interactive applications from any TV in the home
Access content available on more devices (including personal media players and PCs)

Verizon is going to support this but no mention of Comcast.

eznark

Banned
Can anyone tell me how to add Whiskey Media video RSS feeds to this? I use PS3MS all the damn time but never figured out how to add video RSS feeds.

DirecTV is field testing RVU, will offer satellite TV without individual receivers in October

We've been waiting since 2009 for the RVU Alliance to deliver on its promise of TV service controlled by a main server that streams content to any screen in the home without requiring any set-top boxes and it appears DirecTV is ready to make it so. A press release issued today indicates it has started field trials of the HR34 RVU server that will be the keystone in its Home Media Center, and plans to roll the service out nationwide in October. If you want to know when to start buying HDTVs like the Samsung D6000 series, it also mentions RVU certification for those and DirecTV's own C30 Home Media Clients (check out a video demo here) is expected to be finalized in June. There's been some delays but if you were also hoping that 2011 would be the year we can get rid of the cable box, the progress is looking very promising.

samsungces1124lg.jpg

This is an extension to DLNA.

Cartman86

Banned
jeff_rigby said:

Your sure each computer has its own IP address right? I was absent minded and forgot my 360 had the same IP as my PS3.

DodgerSan

Hi guys,

My question is about streaming to a Blu-Ray player, but this is the closest thread I could find. The player is a Sony at least! ;)

My last PC streamed everything no problem, I just had to share the relevant folders and the player picked them up fine. I've just got a new one, shared my media folders, allowed streaming to all devices in WMP etc. In Home Sharing network places, the device is even shown as 'Sony Blu-Ray player'.

My problem is that the only folder that shows up on the XMB on the player (a Sony BDP-S370) is 'Recorded TV', which isn't even a shared folder in Windows!

It's not the network, as the player can see PS3 Media Server fine, but won't play any videos through it. But all the shared folders are visible.

Any ideas? I'm close to wits end!

Edit: am using Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, if it makes any difference.

Edit: Disregard, it's sorted itself out. Must have just been REALLY slow on the update :\

You should try the subjunk builds - http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8883

Use their own PS3 MEncoder build now.
Does PS3 Mediaserver support DLNA 1.5 for remote control by the S1, Serviio does. I'm guessing that the PS3 is getting Firmware 3.7 soon to support the Stereo headphones launch Sept 7 and the S1 Launch Sept 2-7.

DLNA in the PS3 would have to be upgraded to support remote control by the S1.

PORTLAND, OR - July 19, 2011 - The Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) experienced unprecedented growth in the number of DLNA Certified® televisions during the first quarter of 2011, certifying more than 1,000 models in North America, Europe, Korea and Japan. The number of television models Certified by the Alliance in the first three months of the year was greater than the total number Certified in the first four years of the program. There are now more than 4,000 Certified television models available, providing consumers with a convenient way to connect and enjoy content throughout the digital home.
Why?
LONDON, May 23, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) today announced the release of new Interoperability Guidelines for the playback of high-quality, premium commercial video. Announced at this week's Connected Home Global Summit 2011 in London, the new standard addresses the increasing demand for simplified access to premium commercial content throughout the home, including movies and network television programming. Developed in conjunction with global cable, satellite and telecommunications service providers, the Interoperability Guidelines leverage DTCP-IP Protected Streaming to make service provider content more easily available for playback across digital televisions, Blu-ray disc players, game consoles and set-top boxes.
PS3 to support also....YES! The PS3 already supports DTCP-IP and with Remote Play to the Vita (Confirmed) the Vita can have access to the home Cablebox DVR and live streaming from one of the tuners.

New ecosystem feature = DLNA 1.5 "controller" in S1 and maybe Vita.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30361159&postcount=794

The official name of the S1 is the Sony Tablet S, which is currently projected to bring its 9.4-inch (1280x768) screen to market in the first two weeks of September. It will ship with Android 3.1 with an eye towards upgrading to Ice Cream Sandwich once that's available, and just as the company said many of the key features will revolve around using it to control all devices in the home, via the network or the integrated IR blaster, as well as having the ability to "Throw" media to other DLNA-compatible hardware, whether it's made by Sony or someone else. The slate's dual cameras come in at 3.0MP res up front and 5.0MP around the back, while it's also expected to bring along accessories our source indicates are very similar to those for the iPad. In the images below you can check out a wireless keyboard and dock setup and micro-USB to USB host dongle, details on the "TruBlack" screen technology that's supposed to provide better colors with less glare, and of course all of Sony's preinstalled software bringing PlayStation Certified gaming plus its music, movie and book services. What we don't know yet is its final price -- we'd heard $599 previously -- but there should be more to say about that and the clamshell S2 tablet soon.

20110823-08562017--sonytablet2.jpeg

From what I understand "Throw" or Fling is an easy OS feature to support and if you support one "Throw" feature for instance DLNA is mentioned (This is just DLNA 1.5 2006 support with the S1 as a DLNA Contoller and the PS3 as Player/renderer + a Multi-touch screen recognition of a "Fling" or "Throw" gesture which confirms at least DLNA 1.5 in the PS3), "Throw" URL to browser is perhaps also easily possible as are even more "ecosystem features". (Thanks to craigercsm in the PS Forum for bringing this up.)

The S1 can DLNA throw to any Sony product that supports DLNA 1.5 as a renderer/player and any Sony product (I assume PS3) can accept a DLNA command from any handheld Android or Meego (Linux) with DLNA controller ability.

How Sony may implement: http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_info/software/mediaplus/index.html

methane47

Are there any Iphone/Ipad apps that can properly control a stream?
As in browse the dlna server choose video push to a selected receiver play, pause, stop, FF, rewind? etc etc?

Or any kind of device that does that at all?

Sorry if this has been covered already, but is there a way to change the PMS icons next to the media files on the PS3? No matter if I'm trying to stream music or video with PMS, it always shows the same icon, and it drives me crazy. I'm currently using the PMS (subjunk build) 1.50.0-SB51. I update PMS every couple of weeks or so, but the damn icon has been the same for the past year or so, and I've never been able to find a way to change it. Is there a way to change which icon it displays?

sajj316

gtmax said:
Im on 1.40 on PSM but my ps3 won't read it when i boot from osx. Can anyone offer any help?

TIA

I've had this happen a few times but fixed with the following modification. In the PS3.conf file in the \renderers directory, set RenderName = Playstation 3

In addition, force port of the server (5001 by default) to 6001. This should be in the Network settings (advanced) section in General Configuration tab.

Currently on 1.40, upgrade from a subjunk 1.30 build. So far so good but I've seen a few times where certain videos have this god awful discoloration. Anyone run into this issue? I've seen it on both 1.30.x subjunk and 1.40.

EDIT: just upgraded to a subjunk build 1.50.0-SB51. Hopefully problems are fixed.

Changlog for those interested ..

http://www.spirton.com/svn/PS3MS-SB/CHANGELOG-SB.txt

sajj316

wastedyears said:
Sorry if this has been covered already, but is there a way to change the PMS icons next to the media files on the PS3? No matter if I'm trying to stream music or video with PMS, it always shows the same icon, and it drives me crazy. I'm currently using the PMS (subjunk build) 1.50.0-SB51. I update PMS every couple of weeks or so, but the damn icon has been the same for the past year or so, and I've never been able to find a way to change it. Is there a way to change which icon it displays?

It's not as straightforward as changing icon.ico is it? Icon image is 256x256.

This might help.

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3583

sajj316

Subjunk 1.50 giving me huge memory leak issues. Have had instances where the javaw.exe used 600-800 MB of RAM. Switched back to 1.40 release.

EDIT: After researching it further, it does not seem to be a leak but how much the frame buffer is allocating. It seems rather high but I guess this is normal. It isn't normal to have the same amount of memory allocated the day after but I guess java has it's issues.

sajj316 said:
It's not as straightforward as changing icon.ico is it? Icon image is 256x256.

This might help.

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3583
Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. The icon for PMS on my PS3 is the one specified from that thread, but once I navigate to my videos folder, all the icons start out with a kind of black/grey arrow (play symbol) but then it changes back to that same damn icon that I've been trying to change. Again, thanks for the help, but do you have any other ideas? I've tried everything I can think of.

I'm using the latest version of PS3 Media Serever and there are still some older MKV files I have that will not display the subtitles. This is frequently the case on files that have both ASS and SRT subtitles or videos with multiple audio and/or subtitle streams in general. Going through the #Transcode# menu and selecting a specific stream does not work either. I have also tried using MKVToolnix to remove the additional streams and to convert to MKVMerge to a compatible version (4.0.0). Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas? Should I just give up and re-rip re-encode the older content?

EDIT: Retagged and remuxed everything with appropriate labels and it appears to be working now.

sajj316

wastedyears said:
Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. The icon for PMS on my PS3 is the one specified from that thread, but once I navigate to my videos folder, all the icons start out with a kind of black/grey arrow (play symbol) but then it changes back to that same damn icon that I've been trying to change. Again, thanks for the help, but do you have any other ideas? I've tried everything I can think of.

Wish I had other ideas. I'll screw around with the configuration tonight and see if I can get this going.

Other things that I have done to improve my experience is the following:

- setup a taskmanager job to refresh PSMS every morning. Since the program is java based, it's subject to the garbage collection issues. No program is perfect and I've had instances where this application would take up 900 MB of memory.

- I have two PS3's and they will sometime be on at the same time. PSMS will pick both of them up. I've disabled media server on one of them. Seems to be serving better with this setup.

- playing 720p movies work almost flawlessly. streaming high bitrate 1080p movies will just not work the way I want to until PS4. 802.11 b/g isn't cutting it for on some of the high end movies. Wireless N will work better. This coupled with a better computer to crunch and serve movies will be a better experience.

Bump. This program has been improved so much since the last time I used it years ago. I love how it can play flac and mkvs. But I still have some problems with it, my files start playing after 5-10 seconds or so. Secondly, hd videos keep stuttering. Is this perhaps because I'm streaming from my laptop that is connected via wifi?

Audioboxer

Anyone using PS3MediaServer should now jump over to UniversalMediaServer - http://www.universalmediaserver.com/

Universal Media Server is a DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server.

It is based on PS3 Media Server by shagrath. It is actually an evolution of the "SubJunk Build" of PS3MS.

UMS was started by SubJunk, an official developer of PS3MS, in order to ensure greater stability and file-compatibility.

Because it is written in Java, Universal Media Server supports all major operating systems, with versions for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

The program streams or transcodes many different media formats with little or no configuration.

It is powered by MEncoder, FFmpeg, tsMuxeR and AviSynth, which combine to offer support for a wide range of media formats.

Kinan

Ive seen that, but compared to the +100k downloads for the latest PS3MS release, the universal one has less than 100 downloads.

It seems to be a project by the Subjunk himself, who has now left the PS3 MediaServer team. Will be following closely, but, actually, PS3MS as it is now is already more than enough for me. I do not even remember when I last time had problems with streaming, both PS3 and Samsung TV are recognized and everything works as a charm.

P.S. Heh, can't believe that I've created this thread more than 5 years ago... Time's flying by...

It seems to be a project by the Subjunk himself, who has now left the PS3 MediaServer team. Will be following closely, but, actually, PS3MS as it is now is already more than enough for me. I do not even remember when I last time had problems with streaming, both PS3 and Samsung TV are recognized and everything works as a charm.

P.S. Heh, can't believe that I've created this thread more than 5 years ago... Time's flying by...

Too bad I have only 1 ethernet cable at my disposal. And too bad PS3 only wants to connect to the media server through an ethernet cable. :(

Lol you created the thread at the start of this gen :')

spwolf

Audίoboxer;39685655 said:
Anyone using PS3MediaServer should now jump over to UniversalMediaServer - http://www.universalmediaserver.com/

UniversalMediaServer - UMS is much improved over PS3MediaServer that has stalled in developed... I have had a lot of issues with streaming over bad wireless conection and UMS helped a lot... same goes for some audio syncing and such.

So whoever is using old PS3MS, they should update to UMS.

Top Bottom