• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Random updates from the last page, check ik for more, I can only embed 10 and at times there were 10 per post, nevermind the whole page. I also updated the recommended games in the OP with some more.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Few Rift S questions since I've only had it for a week last year before my pc back then broke and I sold it. I've re bought it as above and it will be here tomorrow:
-Are lenses glass or plastic? Can I just wipe with glasses cloth/microfiber cloth?
-Usb 3.2 gen1 vs gen2 ?
-How to measure framerate in vr ? So I will have any idea if I can supersample or not. And how to supersample outside of steamvr

INC

Few Rift S questions since I've only had it for a week last year before my pc back then broke and I sold it. I've re bought it as above and it will be here tomorrow:
-Are lenses glass or plastic? Can I just wipe with glasses cloth/microfiber cloth?
-Usb 3.2 gen1 vs gen2 ?
-How to measure framerate in vr ? So I will have any idea if I can supersample or not. And how to supersample outside of steamvr

- glass i believe, by a camera lens kit
- usb 3.1 i think
- download oculus tray tool, you can overlay the framerate (its pretty large tho, so only good for testing

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
rofif rofif in any case, be careful what cleaning agents you use (if any) and read the instructions...I know some people on the Index sub didn't and permanently jacked up their lenses due to it. Though I think Index has plastic lenses.

rofif

Banned
rofif rofif in any case, be careful what cleaning agents you use (if any) and read the instructions...I know some people on the Index sub didn't and permanently jacked up their lenses due to it. Though I think Index has plastic lenses.
I will only blow on it and use microfiber cloth :)
Anyway - Rift S is here and it's great. The audio is even worse than I remember year ago :D

Alexios

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Ok... so I've played about 2 days with Rift S. Reminder - I've had all Oculus rifts before and always sold too quickly... S I've had for few days year ago but it fried my pc.
2 weeks ago I've finished Alyx on borrowed cv1, so this is my closest comparison (my ipd is 63):

+The clarity of lenses and resolution is better than cv1. Fov is about the same but looks more narrow from the sides(more on that later).
+Glare is reduced greatly
-Audio sucks ass but I've got koss ksc75 ordered.
+Tracking is PERFECT,
=Controllers are great. Made of better, ruberized materials but a bit smaller and thumbsticks are worse.
=Not sure about the sweetspot. Easy to find when putting on, but I find myself quite often adjusting up/down and never left right. Was not great on cv1 too
=80hz is fine
=Black levels are not good even for lcd panel. The "valve guy" void when launching Alyx looks bad and the part in quarantine where You get the flashlight looks like crap too. Day parts look better than cv1 but dark parts are so bad it almost makes me thing it's running 16-235 colorspace. But I am pretty sure it's all full range rgb. That's also the reason why fov seems smaller while it's not. In CV1, dark scenes were black and did not differentiated from inside of the headset. Some darker games like Space Pirate trainer look amazing on S though... it's kinda weird.
-Comfort I don't like so far. Top of my head hurts, the headset is sliding top/down... it's fast to put on but cv1 was better.
+Setup is incredibly easy and fast. NO CAMERA cables!
+Passthrough+ is a godsend
+++Index also has LCD so that makes me happy I've did not spent 1000usd. This tech currently is worth about 400 anyway. I think LCD is the way since OLED on cv1 smeared with spud(mura compensation) off,.

All in all - It's a good headset. Kinda makes me wish I went for Quest but I have absolutely no use for wireless headset since I have just enough room to play with rift S cable.
It's better than CV1 in many areas but worse (black levels, comfort) in some. Any suggestions, tips and tricks appreciated.
I do plan to keep this one since I don't want to find myself rebuying headset again in few months when a good game comes out. I think the clarity, passthrough, inside tracking are worth sacrifice to some contrast. But that comfort I've gotta figure out

edit: Don't get me wrong - this is the clearest image I've seen in vr. When You put it on right, it's great!
The black levels are a weird thing since if I run a steamvr desktop and open a whole black image, it looks pretty good. But in-game it seems more washed out. I think the gamma is wrong on this lcd panel. I I run lagom lcd gamma test, I can see all grey squares too well. It's probably like 1.8 or 2.0 instead of 2.2. Other than that and the comfort on the top of my head, it's fine

Last edited:

Alexios

If S still has the shit foam of the CV1 or similar better find a nice cover to replace it before it becomes a sweat soaked sponge that peels. Also no wolverine hair styling with the S I imagine :)

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
If S still has the shit foam of the CV1 or similar better find a nice cover to replace it before it becomes a sweat soaked sponge that peels. Also no wolverine hair styling with the S I imagine :)

I would expect no wolverine hair but I het way more ! The whole weight of the device rests on the top part. it's quite painful. I need to experiment with other setups

Alexios

Last edited:
You're VR luitenant Dan?

please, call me stumps

side note - what's a guy gotta do to get a functional HDMI extension? i've ordered 3 so far, all had reviews saying they worked with the CV1 and none of them have... headset is detected by the OS but just a black screen

rofif

Banned
I cannot stop thinking how quest+link would look like and maybe I should've not went for Rift S :p
I mean, the S is fine but it's a bit wobbly on the head and the black levels suck the atmosphere out of half life compared to what I played on cv1.
Anyway - I will continue playing with Rift S. I always buy these headsets and sell them too quickly. I know that S has the best lenses/sde in this price range and is the most reasonable choice for pc exclusive headset. Quest might have better dark levels but also lower hz and compression with link cable.
I still think that Alyx renders with wrong black levels as I get better black performance in other games.

Last edited:
I really want another solid single player game after Half-Life Alyx. Is No Man's Sky any good in VR?
It's absolutely fantastic. It got me to drop over 75 hours into it back in August after only playing about 6 hours when it originally launched. You have to be in the mood for a exploration type game, but nothing compares to jumping in your ship and flying around, it's really fun. But it does have some performance issues.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It's absolutely fantastic. It got me to drop over 75 hours into it back in August after only playing about 6 hours when it originally launched. You have to be in the mood for a exploration type game, but nothing compares to jumping in your ship and flying around, it's really fun. But it does have some performance issues.

Did you play seated or standing? Roomscale?

The flying might trigger VR sickness for me. Sitting might be the best case for me. But ground exploration should;d be fine standing/roomscale.

rofif

Banned
I want to like it but after launching it in creative mode, flying and driving vehicles for a bit, I get super bored quickly I might do something wrong. btw - vr is good in NMS

Resenge

I cannot stop thinking how quest+link would look like and maybe I should've not went for Rift S :p
I mean, the S is fine but it's a bit wobbly on the head and the black levels suck the atmosphere out of half life compared to what I played on cv1.
Anyway - I will continue playing with Rift S. I always buy these headsets and sell them too quickly. I know that S has the best lenses/sde in this price range and is the most reasonable choice for pc exclusive headset. Quest might have better dark levels but also lower hz and compression with link cable.
I still think that Alyx renders with wrong black levels as I get better black performance in other games.
I have both Quest and Rift S. I would never choose Quest over Rift S for PCVR. Quest is awesome but front heavy and uncomfortable In comparison to the Rift S even after I modded with the Vive DAS and a new faceplate. Buy a New faceplate for the Rift S because the one that comes with it is shit and you are golden imo.

The hIgher refresh on the Rift S is noticable when you switch between the 2 but its not a huge thing but the quality is a big thing, Quest does a good job in PCVR for what it is but Rift S looks much more cleaner and crisp.

PCVR on Quest is a bonus but not as good as a decent PCVR headset imo.

Last edited:

Alexios

I really want another solid single player game after Half-Life Alyx. Is No Man's Sky any good in VR?
There are some in the recommendations in the OP, like Apex Construct (better than the mixed reviews imply), The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners, Journey of the Gods or Windlands 2 (also adventures without action like Red Matter & Lone Echo). The next in line may be Lies Beneath in 2 days :)

I'd say Apex Construct is the closest to Half-Life style pacing despite differences (the setup has you going back to a hub and choosing the next level to tackle while it only has the bow and shield based combat) as it has a similar balance between finding your way around, puzzles and combat :)

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I have both Quest and Rift S. I would never choose Quest over Rift S for PCVR. Quest is awesome but front heavy and uncomfortable In comparison to the Rift S even after I modded with the Vive DAS and a new faceplate. Buy a New faceplate for the Rift S because the one that comes with it is shit and you are golden imo.

The hIgher refresh on the Rift S is noticable when you switch between the 2 but its not a huge thing but the quality is a big thing, Quest does a good job in PCVR for what it is but Rift S looks much more cleaner and crisp.

PCVR on Quest is a bonus but not as good as a decent PCVR headset imo.
Thanks a lot! I was looking for an answer like this :)
I asked a friend to print me a headphone adapter for rift S so I can mount koss ksc75 on it too.
What faceplate do You recommend?

Resenge

Thanks a lot! I was looking for an answer like this :)
I asked a friend to print me a headphone adapter for rift S so I can mount koss ksc75 on it too.
What faceplate do You recommend?
Sorry, this is where I can only give you second hand advice. I'm still rocking the original foam faceplate because for some reason even though I throw money at VR crap all the time, I am a cheap ass when it comes to faceplates and find myself not wanting to spend the money on them and just make do with what I have if its good enough. The Quest was different just because of how uncomfortable it was to use but the Rift S is just good enough that I can ignore it.

If I was forced into buying one now I would get one from VR Cover.
This one is supposed to be ok but its out of stock atm. I am sure even a crappy silicone cover from an ebay seller that goes over the foam would feel better.

Hopefully someone with some experience will give you a better answer.

I'm going to have to stop dragging my feet and go and buy one after thinking about it.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
omg Hellblade in vr is incredible. I've finished the game when it came out but after trying it on Rift S (and ksc75) headphones, I am for sure finishing it again. Just incredible

Jesb

Hey guys so I’m getting kind of curious about VR. Just did the test on steam if my PC is VR ready and not surprisingly my gpu failed the test. So my question is would I be able to upgrade my system that’s like 5-6 years old now with a high end gpu that I will eventually use for a completely new build? My specs btw is amd 8350 3.5ghz. 8 gigs of ram, and a 7970 video card. Am I basically stuck with this gpu for now until a full rebuild?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hey guys so I’m getting kind of curious about VR. Just did the test on steam if my PC is VR ready and not surprisingly my gpu failed the test. So my question is would I be able to upgrade my system that’s like 5-6 years old now with a high end gpu that I will eventually use for a completely new build? My specs btw is amd 8350 3.5ghz. 8 gigs of ram, and a 7970 video card. Am I basically stuck with this gpu for now until a full rebuild?

GPU is able to be transferred to a new rig without a problem. CPU & mobo are the most limiting.

Jesb

GPU is able to be transferred to a new rig without a problem. CPU & mobo are the most limiting.

Yes I’m aware gpu can be transferred to new rig. But I’m more asking if my rig can be upgraded to a high end gpu right now with my current rig and be able to be VR ready now.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yes I’m aware gpu can be transferred to new rig. But I’m more asking if my rig can be upgraded to a high end gpu right now with my current rig and be able to be VR ready now.

Ahh, sorry for the misunderstanding. I think the cpu is on the weak side. My 4690k at times feels like it's not enough and judging from benchmarks, yours is weaker. I'd just target a total system upgrade alongside the VR unit of your choice.

You can of course take a gamble and buy the gpu now with the intention of upgrading the rest later.

Jesb

Ahh, sorry for the misunderstanding. I think the cpu is on the weak side. My 4690k at times feels like it's not enough and judging from benchmarks, yours is weaker. I'd just target a total system upgrade alongside the VR unit of your choice.

You can of course take a gamble and buy the gpu now with the intention of upgrading the rest later.

oh ok. I figured this would be the case. I’ll just pass on VR than in what looks like a while.

INC

No decent fps on the horizon, real shame, was hoping by now someone would of modded and older fps to work, like project reality or bfbc2

Only thing close is wardust, and well.......its wardust lol

Alexios

Not Battlefield scale isn't equal to not decent. Onward is great and improves all the time and there's Medal of Honor and Solaris coming, maybe Population: One. Plenty more for single player, from Sniper Elite to Lies Beneath, Vertigo 2, Panther VR, maybe Phantom: Covert Ops though I guess a few might not end up being great.

Last edited:

INC

Not Battlefield scale isn't equal to not decent. Onward is great and improves all the time and there's Medal of Honor VR and Solaris coming, maybe Population: One. Plenty more for single player, from Sniper Elite to Lies Beneath, Vertigo 2, Panther VR and Phantom though I'd guess a few of them might not end up being so great.

I have onward, and pavlov, Solaris........sci fi lazer phew phew guns arent my cup of tea.

MoH could be good, but mp info, I hope it's not 5v5 like most vr fps, so dull

Why I play wardust the most atm, yes it trash, but the scale is what I'm looking for

Pavlov ww2 addon Is soon, I think that's gonna ahave larger game modes, since they're adding vehicles

Pavlov already has a rush game mode almost complete.

But still nothing new needs on the horizon that looks like a decent mp fps, whi h is odd, since vr an fps is literally the perfect fit, so why theres not more advanced versions is very odd

Alexios

I merely clarified your particular Battlefiend-in-VR desires don't equal no great FPS being out there or coming. I'm not aware of any Battlefield-like games, I don't dispute it. For now, the only large scale stuff I'm aware of are Battle Royale games, like Population: One & Virtual Battlegrounds, the former seemingly more professional.

I should have mentioned Echo Combat as well, it's pretty great & unique. Games with few player requirements tend to do better for now where not many people are into VR anyway. Space Junkies was pretty fun too, though I don't think it's anywhere near as balanced as Echo Combat, it's more instant action casual fun style stuff.

Last edited:

INC

I merely clarified your particular battlefiend-in-VR desires don't equal no great FPS being out there or coming. I'm not aware of any Battlefield-like games, I don't dispute it. For now, the only large-scale stuff I'm aware of are Battle Royale games like Population: One & Virtual Battlegrounds, the former seemingly more professional.

I played VBG quite abit, but only 24 players felt empty still, population one could be decent tho

Pavlov is still your best bang for the buck, with the work shop, but it's a shame how they do recoil in that game.
Onward is the best gun mechanics overall, but unless u wanna play the comp online it's not really a pick up and have fun fps, unless u play coop, but the ai and how it behaves gets old quick

Alexios

Ah, I didn't know VBG only has 24 players in. Population: One should allow for more. Or not, i dunno, I'm not into BR anyway (and even less ones with building features like Fortnite but maybe it's only an option there, I dunno).

Yep, Onward has the best realistic weapon mechanics in VR, it could use a bit more recoil but overall I wish more games looked @ how they do things control wise, it's so natural and intuitive to use all the attachments etc. (though it's still weird to reload the machineguns, so I just go for regular AF with the drum magazine).

I prefer small scale stuff in and out of VR. I was happy the Firewall developers were going to do a PC game as I imagined it being basically Rainbow Six in VR but it turned out to be sci-fi as you say, heh. It could still be cool, we'll see.

Last edited:

Alexios

PC port on the 14th.
It's out (~30), it should be pretty good even if most of the praise so far is from/for Oculus Quest users :)

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I've got around printing the Koss headphones adapter for Rift S. Not the headset is as it should be! I used tested jeremy template.
In order for ksc75 to fit, I just had to take off those small grey covers for ball joint on headphones. Porta Pro would fit a bit better and sound a bit better (best headphones ever) but ksc75 is just as good aside from less bass

jOczwUi.jpg

mf236JE.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom