• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC World: The Most Overrated Games of 2008

xray49er

I thought the list was spot on. Braid being my favorite game on list, but after two run throughs, I have never bothered turning the game on the get all the stars. I sold gtaIV after a week. I still have cod waw but never play it, and as cute and fun it is, I never have the urge to play lbp. I didnt even make it through half of the singleplayer levels.

Esch

Banned
GitarooMan said:
I think "overhyped" would work better then "overrated" here: A lot of these games are very, very good, but something like LBP was hyped at its peak as some paradigm shift instead of just a very cool, elite-level game.

Complaints about overhype and overrating things are as arbitrary and useless as the overrating itself. What someone's basically saying is "well i didn't think this was that good" and that's fine. But you have to back it up with some legitimate reasoning. The writer of this article barely manages to put together a complaint worth a damn. Most of his comments toward each respective game are bitter ramblings that have most of their basis in the realm of opinion. Not to mention foul language and sweeping generalizations.

Piano

Banned
Completely agree with the list. I enjoyed Braid a whole lot, but a 'life-changing' experience? Give me a break.

Haunted

oh boy

Well shit, except for LBP I actually agree with that list.

And overhyped isn't the same thing as overrated. WaW and Braid weren't overhyped, only the other three.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
TheRagnCajun said:
6. Mario64 -undeservingly put on a pedalstool just for being the first good 3d platformer.
5. Shenmune -lol dreamcast
4. Shadow of the Colossus -games are not art
3. Team Fortress2 -no co-op mode
2. Any Halo game -PC fps's are superior
1. FF6 -FF7 has better graphics

Ok this is even more fucking ridiculous than the terrrrrible original list.

6. All 3d platformers are indebted to this game, and most 3d games in general. Not only that, but it still stands up years later.
5. Not much to reply to here.
4. Yes believe it or not, games can be transcendant. Not every game needs to have guns or a bald space marine and this game proved it.
3. Agreed.
2. Typical pathetic PC elitism. Whatever you say about "superior" PC FPSes--try playing any of those with a pad (hint: their controls suck). There is absolutely NOTHING like kicking back and enjoying a quality FPS on your HDTV with 5.1 sound, and that is something PCs just cannot offer so that argument FAILS for the millionth time on GAF.
1. Not enough experience with the genre to comment.

Seriously, sometimes GAF is so pathetically predictable.

Cheeto

In this thread, we cry because a magazine called a game we made avatars for a couple months ago, overrated.

Agreed on all but MGS4 and Braid. MGS4 was fantastic, and saying that reviewers need to "speak to their audience" is bullshit. They'd be trying to write MGS4 reviews for Wii Fit playing soccer moms. MGS4 was a title for people who've played the MGS series before and even if you hadn't played a Metal Gear game before, it still had fantastic gameplay and visuals. I also love how they just drag on about what other people thought about it. Did they even play the game?

And Braid. Meh, it was a good game, but no need to bash its image. It's not a platformer for the ages, agreed, but the first time you play it, you'll find something you'll like.

PC World whining about console games = :|

Esch

Banned
AstroLad said:
2. Typical pathetic PC elitism. Whatever you say about "superior" PC FPSes--try playing any of those with a pad (hint: their controls suck). There is absolutely NOTHING like kicking back and enjoying a quality FPS on your HDTV with 5.1 sound, and that is something PCs just cannot offer so that argument FAILS for the millionth time on GAF.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
EschatonDX said:
Complaints about overhype and overrating things are as arbitrary and useless as the overrating itself.

Not necessarily. Something being overrated can be subjective, whereas something that is overhyped can actually be measured.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This whole thread is a trap.

I'm out. :lol

Esch

Banned
Oblivion said:
Not necessarily. Something being overrated can be subjective, whereas something that is overhyped can actually be measured.

How?

There isn't any objective basis for that at all.

diffusionx

Gold Member
There really wasn't anything wrong with Call of Duty World at War (as there shouldn't be, since it is just a WW2 mod of CoD4 which was a perfectly good game). And judging by the article, the author couldn't find anything wrong with it either other than he didn't like the setting and he didn't like the commercialization of World War 2, like this is the first time that has happened.

And his criticism about LBP's game structure is nuts, or poorly written. Is Galaxy's storyline better than LBP's or something? Is Galaxy not a bunch of levels strung together? Seriously now. Since when does Storyline Matter in a platformer?

He's right about most of the other stuff, though.

sonicmj1

EschatonDX said:
How?

Number of views to the game's information page on game websites?

Number of message board posts on game-specific message boards?

Number of positive user-reviews on IGN prior to release?

There are plenty of ways to gauge hype, if you put your mind to it.

Mooreberg

I'd take publications complaining about "overrated" games more seriously if metacritic crawled forum comments and assigned a numerical value to them. But those averages come from... wait for it... publications and websites that give the games high scores.

Do these people stop at Starbucks on the way to anti-capitalism rallies?

CabbageRed said:
As a PC gamer, I am almost completely unable to relate with PC World's list. :p Hopefully Nintendo Power (if they still around) will step in and give me a biting piece on PC's biggest dissapointments.

pretty easy for the PC in 2008:

1) SPORE - take two of strategy gaming's most talented names-Wil Wright of Sim-everything fame, and Soren Johnson of Civ IV fame, put them together and give them a ton of money and time. What do you get? The digital version of the children's board game Cooties and an unfocused, meandering mess of a game.

2) GTA4 - Same complaints as the console version, with the added bonus of the thing running like DONKEY ASS on anything short of a decent quad core.

3) Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning - Great reviews because the game really is fuck awesome for the first 20 levels or so. Then it gets grindy, the class imba is even worse than WoW, and the game's engine on the client and server side still can't cope with the actual design of the game. It'll be fixed over time and I'd wager by this summer it'll be much better, but it got too much praise off of people just playing it for a short time and slapping up a review.

4) World of Goo - Edgy art and subversive "narrative" + glorified flash physics game still equals glorified flash physics game. It's the perfect Rock, Paper, Shotgun/New Games Journalism game, and I don't mean that in a good way.

5) Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures - See complaints about WAR, but then ratchet down the prelreease expectations slightly and ratchet up the actual game's level of terrible. Does anyone think that this game really desrved the 8.5-ish ratings it was getting when it was released?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
EschatonDX said:
How?

Yes, there is. For example, you can't say much if someone says "omg this the bestest game i've ever played 11/10!!!11"

But if someone goes "this will be the game that'll change the tide of the console wars, believe it!", well that can actually be contended afterwards.

Esch

Banned
sonicmj1 said:
Number of views to the game's information page on game websites?

Number of message board posts on game-specific message boards?

Number of positive user-reviews on IGN prior to release?

There are plenty of ways to gauge hype, if you put your mind to it.

Hype=/=level of interest.

Hype implies excitement or anticipation... Something that is subjective. A page view or post does not translate into hype. User reviews might, but how many of those are from one user? How does a rating translate into a measurement of hype? They're unreliable.

Momar

aka Ryder
AstroLad said:
Ok this is even more fucking ridiculous than the terrrrrible original list.

6. All 3d platformers are indebted to this game, and most 3d games in general. Not only that, but it still stands up years later.
5. Not much to reply to here.
4. Yes believe it or not, games can be transcendant. Not every game needs to have guns or a bald space marine and this game proved it.
3. Agreed.
1. Not enough experience with the genre to comment.

Seriously, sometimes GAF is so pathetically predictable.

Er... I thought he was being sarcastic?

MotherFan

List was spot on. Same games I thought had more hype than they deserved (minus braid, I have not played it and really don't mind the hype for it). MGS4 was fun, but it was nowhere near the best game of the generation. Needed some more game to it. GTA had glitches, horrible steering, and was not a masterpiece in storytelling.

I do love brawl, but I think it was hyped more than it deserved. If the random matches worked better then I would disagree, but as it stands braid should be replaced by brawl.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I agree with 1,4,and 5. 3...Was it really hyped? :lol I think it was more people dreading it wasn't Infinity ward doing it and it turned out decent.
Haven't played Braid yet, even though I do agree with the reason. The fact that any decent 2D game is this god send for people who just want to reminiscence *Insert nostalgic memories*. No different then the Arcade enthusiast.

Mooreberg

People have a point about COD as well. It didn't really get all that much hype for the follow up of a game as big as COD4, and overall the review scores were about what they should have been.

They should have just put Fallout 3 on the list and said "everything that has won a GOTY award so far sucks, I'm going to play some more Warcraft."

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Ryder said:
Er... I thought he was being sarcastic?

i assumed this was a joke post too when i read about not being able to play pc games infront of a hdtv with 5.1 sound.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I hope people understand that just because they think they are overrated doesnt mean they think they aren't good.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
They pretty much nailed MGS4. Can't think of any other game that was more overrated last year except maybe GTA4.

Top Bottom