• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC World: The Most Overrated Games of 2008

DuckRacer

IMO Braid is arguable (I personally thought it was brilliant), and World at War shouldn't be on the list because no one really hyped it to heaven and back (and it didn't get tons of excellent scores), but otherwise it's a decent list. Resistance 2 and Fable 2 should be in their places instead.

LunaticPuma said:
They pretty much nailed MGS4. Can't think of any other game that was more overrated last year except maybe GTA4.

Yeah, the thing about MGS4 (from what I understand, I don't play console games) is that it's pretty clearly a polarizing game-you either get it or you don't, even the fans of the game will readily admit that. So why didn't the reviews reflect this polarization?

Games journalist, it’s time to face facts: you are Kojima’s biatch.

Oh yeah, that's why.

Ballistictiger said:
What about Gears 2.

It shipped with a broken multi player and that disappointed people.

Well I'm out :D

That one too. Had a really high metacritic score as well. That's one of of the most overrated games for me last year for sure.

AstroLad said:
There is absolutely NOTHING like kicking back and enjoying a quality FPS on your HDTV with 5.1 sound, and that is something PCs just cannot offer so that argument FAILS for the millionth time on GAF.

What's stopping you from playing a quality PC FPS on an HDTV with 5.1 sound?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
No doubt said critics would defend their stance by arguing 'it’s exactly what the fans want’, but this doesn’t hold water in our opinion — you don’t see film critics giving rubbish like Epic Movie two thumbs up based on the whims of its idiot fanbase, do you?
Not every reader would agree with this paragraph. How would they object to the reasoning the writer uses?

A. Use of proof is evaded
B. A hasty conclusion is drawn
C. A doubtful comparison is made
D. The point of view of the antagonists is misrepresented

Clearly, a game that divides its audience so fiercely should have received some equally mixed reviews, but such was not the case.
First it divides it's audience and then it's exactly what the fans want?

Yeah, stick to them graphics.

sonicmj1

EschatonDX said:
Hype=/=level of interest.

Hype implies excitement or anticipation... Something that is subjective. A page view or post does not translate into hype. User reviews might, but how many of those are from one user? How does a rating translate into a measurement of hype? They're unreliable.
It's not quite the same, but a high level of interest does frequently correlate to a high level of hype. It may not be a perfect measure, but it's probably reasonably accurate.

Of course, whether something is overhyped or not is naturally subjective, because there's no strict "appropriate" level of hype.

hauton

Seeing as this is already on page 3, troll article succeeds.

I disagree with every single one of those. CoD especially is laughable. "Hey, that's a big franchise, I'll be sure to piss off people by throwing that in there!".

Half of his "reasons" are just nonsensical ramblings.

Cartman86

Banned
MGS? LBP? Braid? GTAIV? Why so mean to me PC World? Games are not films. Games are not always reviewed as if they are films. It's about the experience you had. And if you had an amazing experience from something that is comparable to Epic Movie then so be it. No one else can change what you had.

Should someone who dislikes MGS or GTA review the new incarnations? I would have no problem with that, but that is just not really how it works right now. It would be nice to have a mix of opinions. Sort of like EGM in the mid to late 90's. 4 guys reviewing pretty much every game. You get a good variety of viewpoints that way.

Burger

We also think it's a bit insensitive to use archival footage of genuine war atrocities — particularly when they’re jazzed up to look like MTV music videos. And the less said about the impromptu bursts of rawk guitar, the better. Despite the inclusion of Nazi Zombies (who amusingly make their first appearance after a written dedication to WWII veterans), it was a bit of a stinker all round.

Woah woah woah... This is true ?

I didn't buy this game because the trailer alone basically convinced me that this was "Call of Duty: War Crime" but I didn't realise that the insensitivity had reached a new plateau of insanity.

Wolfenstien is not insensitive because the game is ALL about Nazi Zombies, Hitler in a minigun laden exoskeleton etc. It's not serious.

When you make a WWII game that sort of strives for authenticity, either do it or don't. I don't want to play a game where I'm setting people on fire and stabbing them in the face thinking "Fuck yeah, this is authentic and must have been what it was really like" with rock music blaring, Nazi zombies and faux dedications. The thought makes me SICK.

Mooreberg

Grecco said:
Overhyped doesnt equal overrated.

Who said COD World at War was overrated? The review averages for it pretty much sum it up: a pretty good game with lots of replay value that isn't quite as good or innovative as its predecessor.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
TheRagnCajun said:
1. FF6 -FF7 has better graphics

Leaving aside the fact that you are validating the worth of a game solely on graphics, no, blocky Popeye models are not better than some of the best sprites the SNES produced.

I agree that Braid is overrated. Don't get me wrong it is one of my favourite games of the last year and i enjoyed every bit of it.

It's overrated in the sense that people think its super innovative etc. which it is not. It is a very well done and polished platform puzzler. I have played at least half a dozen games in my life that gave me the same vibes as Braid did. Check out Benefactor, The Lost Vikings or Pushover for example if you have never heard of them.

Dirtbag

1. GTA4 - not a doubt in my mind
2. LBP - so much innovation they forgot the fun
3. Mirrors Edge
4. Bloom Blox
5. Resistance 2

Honorable mentions: Gears 2 (multiplayer), Guitar Hero World Tour.

Haunted

DuckRacer said:
IMO Braid is arguable (I personally thought it was brilliant), and World at War shouldn't be on the list because no one really hyped it to heaven and back (and it didn't get tons of excellent scores), but otherwise it's a decent list. Resistance 2 and Fable 2 should be in their places instead.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14633729&postcount=101

Mooreberg said:
Who said COD World at War was overrated? The review averages for it pretty much sum it up: a pretty good game with lots of replay value that isn't quite as good or innovative as its predecessor.
~85 on GameRankings + PC World hack editor thinks it's a 70 = it goes on the list. Simple, really.

Oblivion said:
Eh? How so? I mean, I suppose you could use gamerankings or whatever, but even then..
Yeah, that's what I was referring to.

How do you measure hype? I can kinda tell how many GAFers look forward to something based on the GAF threads, but GAF isn't representative in any way. An aggregate of all reviews of a certain game made by the enthusiast press is, however.

Although I can tell you right now that KZ2 will end up on a lot of "overhyped games of 09" lists, so you might have a point. :p

Fragamemnon said:
Yeah, the thing about MGS4 (from what I understand, I don't play console games) is that it's pretty clearly a polarizing game-you either get it or you don't, even the fans of the game will readily admit that. So why didn't the reviews reflect this polarization?

Oh yeah, that's why.
Or maybe most publications gave their review to their resident MGS fan?

szhred

Agree with GTA4. It is just like GTA 3 and SA, better graphics and more off the same missions. Its notting new. Mafia (PC) is far better in everything.

Dyno

I thought the article was spot-on for the most part. I disagree with Little Big Planet. That game was georgous and filled with creativity. The textures were so real and some of those levels were amazing. I haven't even cracked creating a level but I've appreciated the work of so many people. Plus amongst my circle of friends that game moved a fair number of consoles.

COD's assessment was a little harsh to. "Hype by association" is not very fair to Treyarch. They made a decent game that certainly had enough value to the disk what with the various modes and such.

MSG and GTA were hyped to the outer reaches of our solar system and while they were good, they were deeply compromised as a whole. Reviewers got handjobs.

Grecco

Dyno said:
o. "Hype by association" is not very fair to Treyarch. T.

I think its on point. One of the first things Treyarch plugged about WAW was BUILT ON THE COD4 ENGINE. to suggest they didnt try to piggy on COD4s success is untrue. Hell the box behind it says IT HAS MORE OF THAT ADDICTIVE COD MULTIPLAYER!

Treyarch succesfully piggybacked their game on the success of Infinity Ward. We have to be honest about that.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Grecco said:
I think its on point. One of the first things Treyarch plugged about WAW was BUILT ON THE COD4 ENGINE. to suggest they didnt try to piggy on COD4s success is untrue. Hell the box behind it says IT HAS MORE OF THAT ADDICTIVE COD MULTIPLAYER!

Treyarch succesfully piggybacked their game on the success of Infinity Ward. We have to be honest about that.

I do not believe Treyarch has final say in box art. Activision used CoD4 to hype up World at War, and from playing both I don't think its out of line to say, "if you dug CoD4 you will dig World at War". Okay, maybe you will dig it a little more, or a little less, but its not an unreasonable statement.

cann3dheat said:
:lol :lol

What's wrong I agree with him. Well if you count out the first 2 Metal Gear's on the MSX (because then "Metal Gear" would be the worst. Presentation and tech up through the roof, gameplay thorough the floor.

Grecco

diffusionx said:
I do not believe Treyarch has final say in box art. Activision used CoD4 to hype up World at War, and from playing both I don't think its out of line to say, "if you dug CoD4 you will dig World at War". Okay, maybe you will dig it a little more, or a little less, but its not an unreasonable statement.

Maybe Treyarch had nothing to do with the Box. But every interview for COD5 and QOS they mentioned the COD4 Engine. They knew what they were doing. When you tell consumers we built this game using technology from the game you really really like, its using their interest in that game to hype this game. Hype by association.

Top Bottom